Springsteen on Broadway

Pans Jambo

Just watched the Boss’s solo show on Broadway on Netflix. Best thing I’ve seen this year. 

Really entertaining show about his growing up, relationship with his father, his hometown, his trying to get signed, big Clarence, his kids, Vietnam, the lot. Playing solo guitar or piano. 

Funny, emotional, uplifting, entertaining. 2 & half hours that just fly’s by. 

What a show. Just brilliant. 

10/10.

Discuss. 

I P Knightley

I've watched the first half hour or so. I'm a Springsteen fan - he could record himself farting in a tin pail and I'd give it 8/10 - so I'm going to be biased. 

I've heard or read many of the stories over the years so, so far, nothing's eye opening. I've also been at a one man show he did at the Albert Hall when touring Devils & Dust, so know what he can do on his own. What has most impressed me is the passion and drama with which he's delivering these stories. It's not just a raconteur up there, spinning a few yarns; it's a performance with (seemingly) a script and various actions. Poor guy would have been bored out his nut if it was just, "get up and tell a few stories" but there is a tight structure to it.

I love the admission that he's a fraud, having never been inside a factory. When he talked about his mam, he goes into The Wish. When in introduced that song at the RAH, he told the audience that he believed that the Brits worshipped their mothers more than Americans did; after all, we'd made one of them our "Queen Mother".

It's the way you tell them.

Carl Fredrickson

I love Bruce but havent had time to sit and watch this yet. Tomorrow I have set time aside for it and I am REALLY looking forward to it.

I meant to start a thread on this the other night. I was in New York at the tail end of the summer and could have got a ticket to see this live one night but decided to pass as I couldn't justify giving a tout $500+. Was delighted to see Netflix pick it up and, having now watched it, spending that sort of money would have been well worth it. It's an absolutely fantastic watch and must have been really special to see in person. I'm not ashamed to admit to getting a bit teary when he was talking about his Dad, Vietnam and Clarence. There's some really moving stories in there told with genuine emotion and the acoustic reworkings of the songs just add to that. 

Really hope he's got another big tour in him (he's looking amazing for someone pushing 70 so I don't see why not) as I've only ever managed to see him live the once. Almost wish I'd been born 10-15 years earlier so I could've seen him in his prime! 

Carl Fredrickson

Just finished watching it. If you have read his book you will be familiar with most if not all of the stories but he shares them with such emotion it feels as if he is doing a house gig for you. 

Fabulous show. Great music with funny stories, sad stories and inspirational stories. The man is awesome.