Any drummers on here?

rael11

I’ve just realised a childhood ambition and got my first drum kit for my 50th birthday. Any tips or pointers would be most appreciated. Also recommendations for online teaching. 

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Used to play when I was a teenager. Wasn’t very good and didn’t have the confidence to play in a band but loved it. Great hobby.

Used to try and play like that Jimmy Chamberlain from the Smashing Pumpkins. He could drum.

Try and learn a straight 4 beat first, you tube is a good place to start. Keep it simple and practice as much as possible, it's all about co ordination . Good luck.

Салатные палочки
49 minutes ago, Armageddon said:

Practice the SHIT out of your rudiments, paradiddles/mummy daddy’s/singles as these will make up 99% of your runs.

Very much this. Plus loads of free tutorial videos in YouTube. My old man taught me the basic rudiments when I was wee. I'm no great shake to be honest but played kit when I was younger and played snare with a couple of pipe bands.

I will say though, have fun and smash the hell out of it at times playing along to your favourite albums.  

I can do the straight 4 beat with a couple of variations. AC/DC seem to be easy to batter along to. As soon as I try to do a fill or anything at all different with the kick drum I’m all over the place. Guess I’ll put the hours in. 

1 minute ago, obua said:

Mind the  neighbours ?.

I got electronic drums. I can listen through headphones with minimal grief to others. 

2 minutes ago, rael11 said:

I can do the straight 4 beat with a couple of variations. AC/DC seem to be easy to batter along to. As soon as I try to do a fill or anything at all different with the kick drum I’m all over the place. Guess I’ll put the hours in. 

AC is not as easy as you think, do not try any fills until you are totally comfortable, remember keep it simple it will come to you through time.

Great stuff Armageddon. Big fan of Clyde Stubblefield too, not a lot of footage out there, but here's a video of him dicking about:

And here's a stoater of a video featuring Purdie and my own personal favourite drummer, Tony Allen. As the myth goes, when Allen left Fela Kuti's band, he had to get four drummers in to replace him!

I played drums when I was a lad.  My favourite drummer is Neil Peart from Rush who, despite being awesome, still takes lessons from others (particularly blues and jazz drummers).

...a bit disco
1 hour ago, Harry Potter said:

They are trained.

Does housetrained count though?

Always enjoy this wee video anytime anyone mentions drummers. Probably not the most technical example of someone playing the drums, but I wonder how many takes it took the boy to get it spot on...