1st game discussed on Kickback

rudeskaboyuk

29 minutes ago, Locky said:

I joined in summer 2009 so most likely Zagreb.

Must have been going for a good 8 or 9 years before then.

5 minutes ago, Sarah O said:

Must have been going for a good 8 or 9 years before then.

I think he was trying to be funny.

It was going well before that though, I seem to remember the board in old typewriter font? Late 90's?

Edited by smiler

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I remember posting on old kickback and that was mid to late nineties. Username then was Jambodave72. 

Probably 1997 or thereabouts for me and same user name. The dial up connection was a joy.

As I remember there was a good deal of decent threads and posts. The ability to give "mana" to JKBers who posted good shit was great.

Fast forward just over 20 years and it is pretty much a place for bickering and abuse but that is what is called progress.

I use to have this on the bottom of my posts (footer) for a good while

PIEMAN RSOLE OUT NOW

Happy days

Edited by 7628mm

Think it was around 2002 - 2003 I joined when it was still on the hearts site, same cool username.

still remember when it closed down, thank you pieman, the current board, I think, was going for a wee while before I found it. My profile says I joined in 2006 but I’m sure there was an update then that wiped everyone’s history. I was definitely on here before the appointment of burley, and I think I was on here around the time Romanov first appeared on the scene. I wish I could pin point when i joined the current set up.

Pretty sure that 1997 was the start.  I remember Kenny Sargent's typed text commentary well.......especially when Jose Quitongo scored in extra time at the school end. 

I joined in 1998. Kickback was fun then and a great way to find out what was happening especially since I lived in Birmingham. People still disagreed with things but there was nothing like the nonsense that’s on this site now. It’s a shame what it’s become.

ToadKiller Dog

I joined around 98, didn't really post for the first few years, just read, as my old dial up modem was that slow. 

Talking about Somtimes 20mins just for the page to load. 

2 hours ago, alanjambo said:

I joined in 1998. Kickback was fun then and a great way to find out what was happening especially since I lived in Birmingham. People still disagreed with things but there was nothing like the nonsense that’s on this site now. It’s a shame what it’s become.

I joined just after 1998 cup final sometime. I used to love it and miss many of the guys who posted back then,. It was absolutely nothing like it is now but I s'pose it's a sign of the times. 

Tremendous days. 

Pieman's personal details being posted. 

Pieman shuts the board "due to advice from L&B Police" 

L&B Police deny any such advice 

Bruce,  Judge,  Lancastle,  Beattie Media all stooges posting for the Pieman. 

Just now, iainmac said:

Tremendous days. 

Pieman's personal details being posted. 

Pieman shuts the board "due to advice from L&B Police" 

L&B Police deny any such advice 

Bruce,  Judge,  Lancastle,  Beattie Media all stooges posting for the Pieman. 

:rofl::clap::clap: what a beaut he was !!!

Miss Mothy tho ☹️

7 minutes ago, NANOJAMBO said:

:rofl::clap::clap: what a beaut he was !!!

Miss Mothy tho ☹️

I was working in Dublin when I got a call from an unknown number. I answered and Lancastle introduced himself, said he wanted an "honest & frank exchange of information". He was trying to convince me that the Pieman had the best interests of everybody at heart.

I said "Sure. What's your mobile number?" 

"I'm not giving you that" 

.... Click. ? ? 

What a choob! 

5 hours ago, DesertDawg said:

Pretty sure that 1997 was the start.  I remember Kenny Sargent's typed text commentary well.......especially when Jose Quitongo scored in extra time at the school end. 

Thought it was maybe 96 it started? Have vague memories of the League Cup final being discussed. I know the likes of Paul Ritchie, Gary Locke used to come into the chatroom on a Sunday night and sure that was before the 97/98 season.

2 hours ago, iainmac said:

I was working in Dublin when I got a call from an unknown number. I answered and Lancastle introduced himself, said he wanted an "honest & frank exchange of information". He was trying to convince me that the Pieman had the best interests of everybody at heart.

.... Click. ? ? 

What a choob! 

He gave us some top nights on here though. ?

Still a choob. :angry:

Bridge of Djoum
8 hours ago, Marvin said:

I remember posting on old kickback and that was mid to late nineties. Username then was Jambodave72. 

Is your name Rodney?

You could be right.  Certainly wasn't around for the '96 cup final but could have been in 1996/97 season.  On the other hand, the 92nd minute Quitongo goal was in February 1998.  I remember it well as Kenny mistakenly called a goal at the other end in the 89th minute at which point I took the dog out for a walk and was surprised that when we got back the FT score was 1-1, not 0-2 as I had expected.  The Celtic "goal" turned out to be offside, then Quitongo struck in a goalmouth melee in stoppage time.

Kenny did apologise later that day!   

Think I joined around 98.  Still remember some old usernames that don't appear now - wonder if they are on here under a different guise? :)

I reckon I joined when I was 13/14 in 2002/3.

Met my first gf through kb when I was 15 and booked myself on godsajambos bus to rotterdam on my own when I was 16. Good Times. 

Got shut down and the follow up sites went through a couple of urls before finalising on this. Can't remember the reasons behind it now. 

1 hour ago, hearts151 said:

I reckon I joined when I was 13/14 in 2002/3.

Met my first gf through kb when I was 15 and booked myself on godsajambos bus to rotterdam on my own when I was 16. Good Times. 

Got shut down and the follow up sites went through a couple of urls before finalising on this. Can't remember the reasons behind it now. 

Hopefully you didn't meet her in the bogs at the Dalry/Gorgie junction :look:

• redm changed the title to 1st game discussed on Kickback
Geoff Kilpatrick

Late 1996 is when I joined Kickback, my last year at Heriot-Watt.

We used to have "live" text commentary from Kenny Sargent on the board, which would then inevitably crash on a Thursday night for some reason. The good old days of this board! :sob:

8 hours ago, iainmac said:

.... Click. ? ? 

What a choob! 

Who is Lancastle?? 

I only found out about Kickback when it was shut down by CPR, so joined the second incarnation whenever that got up and running. 

As others have pointed, it seemed a lot more civil in the early days. I guess half of that was that there was a fewer number of people but perhaps more active. It wasn't too long you before you could put usernames to faces if you travelled away regularly or frequented the a boozer before/after matches. 

I totally forgot about mana being a thing. I'd be up for bringing it back tbh. 

I do remember the various 'clubs' that consisted of sticking a reference in your signature. I was a proud member of the 'Ramón Pereira Brotherhood' and 'Robbie Neilson Effort Appreciation Society'. 

Edited by Toggie88

Relatively new compared to others. Read JKB from around THE Cup final and signed up in 2014.

Would love to read some stuff from the '06 semi, "the biggest derby of our lifetimes". :)

Seymour M Hersh

I used to go on kickback from work when it first started. We had two computers with dial up at work. the threads used to meander all over the screen but it was a much better place then. It was great for club info. 

1 hour ago, Toggie88 said:

I only found out about Kickback when it was shut down by CPR, so joined the second incarnation whenever that got up and running. 

As others have pointed, it seemed a lot more civil in the early days. I guess half of that was that there was a fewer number of people but perhaps more active. It wasn't too long you before you could put usernames to faces if you travelled away regularly or frequented the a boozer before/after matches. 

I totally forgot about mana being a thing. I'd be up for bringing it back tbh. 

I do remember the various 'clubs' that consisted of sticking a reference in your signature. I was a proud member of the 'Ramón Pereira Brotherhood' and 'Robbie Neilson Effort Appreciation Society'. 

https://web.archive.org/web/20040810034656/http://www.kickback2.co.uk:80/forums/view_forum.php?id=2

6 hours ago, sandyk said:

Think I joined around 98.  Still remember some old usernames that don't appear now - wonder if they are on here under a different guise? :)

After more than twenty years a few will be long gone by now too.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
2 hours ago, Clerry Jambo said:

The Vlad Sheep v Hat Kickers debates were rather heated and many bans handed out back then.......:kickhat:

That was a difficult one. You wanted Vlad to be right but deep down you knew he was a ****

Worthing Jambo

Scott Wilson confirmed he set it up in late 1995.

i joined around March 96.

I remember when GK was a newbie! :)

It was mostly for those “far from Gorgie” with the odd local feeding us the latest gossip, mainly Neilnunb above.

it only deteriorated when swathes of locals joined! ?

Worthing Jambo
4 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Late 1996 is when I joined Kickback, my last year at Heriot-Watt.

We used to have "live" text commentary from Kenny Sargent on the board, which would then inevitably crash on a Thursday night for some reason. The good old days of this board! :sob:

Ah, the Thursday night meltdown,  fond memories ?

icq was a good addition too, eh Neilnunb? ?

3 hours ago, iainmac said:

Used to be a minority shareholder who did the Pieman's  bidding on Web sites. 

Is he no longer a minority shareholder?  

Not a clue when I joined but it was before it was a recognisable forum in terms of the webpage. Just all the topics down the left hand side that you had to click on to expand them. I remember users like Marion and Dave Besonnen who posted from Texas and had never even been to Edinburgh. I actually thought about it yesterday when I saw that Fortuna Dusseldorf had beaten Bayern as there was a German poster (Freddie?) who was a massive Fortuna fan.

22 hours ago, superjack said:

Think it was around 2002 - 2003 I joined when it was still on the hearts site, same cool username.

still remember when it closed down, thank you pieman, the current board, I think, was going for a wee while before I found it. My profile says I joined in 2006 but I’m sure there was an update then that wiped everyone’s history. I was definitely on here before the appointment of burley, and I think I was on here around the time Romanov first appeared on the scene. I wish I could pin point when i joined the current set up.

That's right.  JKB migrated to new software in 2006, and all posting history was lost.  All members had to re-register, so you'll find no-one whose join date is older than 2006.

The name has changed over the years.  When the forum was run by the Club, it was simply "Kickback".  That was closed down as described above.  A couple of Hearts supporters started up "KB2", which ultimately evolved into "Jambos Kickback" around 2003 IIRC.