"Merry Christmas". Is that OK?

Maple Leaf

If you have kids ( particularly young ones )  then Christmas is simply the best time ever.

Anyone trying to mess with Crimbo should be stoned to death or thrown off a high building. That'll teach them.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• The Real Maroonblood

• Ulysses

• Maple Leaf

19 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

If you have kids ( particularly young ones )  then Christmas is simply the best time ever.

Anyone trying to mess with Crimbo should be stoned to death or thrown off a high building. That'll teach them.

Quite a lot of folk would enjoy being stoned to death.

6 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Advent  actually, 12 days of Christmas from Christmas day. Should really reacquaint myself with Jesus. 

Bloody christians are taking over xmas, kids these days are losing sight of the true meaning of it.

santa-claus.jpg

18 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

Some people seem to think that there is a war on Christmas, that wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is frowned upon.

That's not my experience.  Although I haven't been inside a church on my own behalf in decades, I still say Merry Christmas to people in general, and Happy Holidays if I think that's more appropriate (to my Jewish friends, for example).

And I never get any negative reaction.

So, Merry Christmas everyone!!

I doubt Jesus is impressed by the world’s month-long celebration of ‘Christmas’.

For many the remembrance of Christmas has long disappeared and fallen like needles from a dead tree. His message trampled and all but forgotten in the big rush for self-recognition and equality.

Here the political hierarchy of the church has much to answer for - Its seeming failure to preach God’s Word without compromise has resulted in a pernicious capitulation to the desires of the world. And where the Word is preached in its fullness, it is very often received like an unwelcome gift, rejected and thrown out. Light diminished and, in some places extinguished, its heart and head now tuned and turned to the world of human endeavour for its identity and direction.

So, surprised with the world's push to remove Christ from Christmas? By no means.

Edited by alfajambo

1 hour ago, Ron Burgundy said:

2 and 4 and I'd honestly rather shite glass.  Problem isn't even with Christmas, not by a long shot, it's the obligation to host relatives and in laws that will be either: argumentative, ungrateful, insulting, or wanting to make the whole fecking thing about them.

Glad I've got that one off my chest!

1 hour ago, Thommo414 said:

2 and 4 and I'd honestly rather shite glass.  Problem isn't even with Christmas, not by a long shot, it's the obligation to host relatives and in laws that will be either: argumentative, ungrateful, insulting, or wanting to make the whole fecking thing about them.

Glad I've got that one off my chest!

Me  the wife and my kids. 3, 15, 18 and 21 all heading through to my sisters on crimbo day. No cooking, no cleaning, plenty folk to keep the youngest entertained.

Eat like a pig and chill out.

That's what Christmas is all about. Thank you Jesus.

3 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Me  the wife and my kids. 3, 15, 18 and 21 all heading through to my sisters on crimbo day. No cooking, no cleaning, plenty folk to keep the youngest entertained.

Eat like a pig and chill out.

That's what Christmas is all about. Thank you Jesus.

Have a great time!!!  :thumb:

At the time of the winter solstice, pagan tribes in northern Europe were eating and drinking to excess, partying like crazy, exchanging gifts, and decorating their homes with fir branches long before Jesus came along.

First, just want to wholeheartedly agree with @Maple Leaf's primary point, which is I have never experienced in my life anybody getting offended at Merry Christmas being said to anyone. We have a sizeable minority Jewish population in Arizona and none of them give a ****, nor do the Indians (whether Hindus or Muslims) I know from playing cricket here. Literally no one ****ing cares . . . unless . . . read on:

I had something mentioned to me about this issue which I thought was excellent, if a bit Amero-centric, and that's how odd it is that nobody ever pulled up Bing Crosby for singing "Happy Holidays to you" decades ago. Funny how it only started being an issue for the likes of Bill O'Reilly when it was clear it was starting to include non-white, non-Christians in the season's greeting . . . ??‍♂️

11 minutes ago, Justin Z said:

First, just want to wholeheartedly agree with @Maple Leaf's primary point, which is I have never experienced in my life anybody getting offended at Merry Christmas being said to anyone. We have a sizeable minority Jewish population in Arizona and none of them give a ****, nor do the Indians (whether Hindus or Muslims) I know from playing cricket here. Literally no one ****ing cares . . . unless . . . read on:

I had something mentioned to me about this issue which I thought was excellent, if a bit Amero-centric, and that's how odd it is that nobody ever pulled up Bing Crosby for singing "Happy Holidays to you" decades ago. Funny how it only started being an issue for the likes of Bill O'Reilly when it was clear it was starting to include non-white, non-Christians in the season's greeting . . . ??‍♂️

Anyone I've said Merry Christmas to, has always replied with a Merry Christmas to you, whether they Christian, Muslim, Jew or Humanist. Only the odd bam hasn't.

5 hours ago, alfajambo said:

I doubt Jesus is impressed by the world’s month-long celebration of ‘Christmas’.

For many the remembrance of Christmas has long disappeared and fallen like needles from a dead tree. His message trampled and all but forgotten in the big rush for self-recognition and equality.

Here the political hierarchy of the church has much to answer for - Its seeming failure to preach God’s Word without compromise has resulted in a pernicious capitulation to the desires of the world. And where the Word is preached in its fullness, it is very often received like an unwelcome gift, rejected and thrown out. Light diminished and, in some places extinguished, its heart and head now tuned and turned to the world of human endeavour for its identity and direction.

So, surprised with the world's push to remove Christ from Christmas? By no means.

Well they did add it at some point didn't they?

It shouldn't be a surprise that as humans evolve the story of God and Jebus gets recognised for what it is, a story. In the not too far distance worshiping "God" will be seen the same way as worshiping the Norse Gods.

Santa Claus can stay though.

I always feel daft saying Merry Christmas. As a kid in the '70, in my circles at least, Happy Christmas was the norm. Most say Merry nowadays, so I do too, but it always feels a bit pretentious, wannabe middle class and, dare I suggest it, English. :lol:

I find this whole 'war on xmas' to be non-existant, especially considering the other well chimed complaint this time of year is how Christmas appears to be thrust on us earlier and earlier every year. It can't simultaneously be under attack and also being increasingly forced on people.  

Who really cares at the end of the day? Nobody is going round regulating how people greet each other, which is all this is at the end of the day. 

As an aside, I actually like Happy Holidays as I think it's more applicable - especially in Scotland with the historical greater emphasis on Hogmanay and, while some may not celebrate Christmas, generally everybody has a holiday from work. It's just more encompassing. 

On 18/12/2018 at 15:30, Maple Leaf said:

Some people seem to think that there is a war on Christmas, that wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is frowned upon.

That's not my experience.  Although I haven't been inside a church on my own behalf in decades, I still say Merry Christmas to people in general, and Happy Holidays if I think that's more appropriate (to my Jewish friends, for example).

And I never get any negative reaction.

So, Merry Christmas everyone!!

Merry christmas bud, have a lovely time.

I was getting my hair cut in a Turkish Barbers yesterday and as some old chap was leaving he wished the Turkish boy a merry xmas, the barbers reply was "happy holidays".

6 hours ago, graygo said:

It shouldn't be a surprise that as humans evolve the story of God and Jebus gets recognised for what it is, a story. In the not too far distance worshiping "God" will be seen the same way as worshiping the Norse Gods.

Because of the cross my interest in the crowd died long ago – Paul the Apostle

The crowd says, honour yourself. The cross says be humble.

The crowd says do it. The cross says done.

Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever.

So yes - Happy Christmas is good.

Edited by alfajambo

6 hours ago, graygo said:

Religion has some degree of permanence, but specific religions and gods are temporary.  Most gods are lost to memory, except of course for the gods that exist in the minds of people living today.

You would expect that today's gods will become unfashionable as yesterday's did, but nowadays the market leaders in gods have very effective systems for holding and gaining market share, and nowadays it is much easier to maintain records of your god story, so maybe in the future instead of creating new gods people might just re-define and re-interpret the ones they have at the moment.

It is indeed Merry Christmas and this is why.

Matt 1: 18-25 - 18This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. 20But after he had considered this, an angel of the LORD appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfil what the LORD had said through the prophet: 23"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us"). 24When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the LORD had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Then God spoke to Isaiah and said, "...so is My word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Edited by alfajambo

13 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

Matt 1: 18-25 - 18This is how the birth of Jesus the Messiah came about: His mother Mary was pledged to be married to Joseph, but before they came together, she was found to be pregnant through the Holy Spirit. 19Because Joseph her husband was faithful to the law, and yet did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. 20But after he had considered this, an angel of the LORD appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit. 21She will give birth to a son, and you are to give him the name Jesus, because he will save his people from their sins." 22All this took place to fulfil what the LORD had said through the prophet: 23"The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel" (which means "God with us"). 24When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the LORD had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. 25But he did not consummate their marriage until she gave birth to a son. And he gave him the name Jesus.

Then God spoke to Isaiah and said, "...so is My word that goes out from My mouth: It will not return to Me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it."

Seems legit

7 hours ago, martoon said:

I always feel daft saying Merry Christmas. As a kid in the '70, in my circles at least, Happy Christmas was the norm. Most say Merry nowadays, so I do too, but it always feels a bit pretentious, wannabe middle class and, dare I suggest it, English. :lol:

You're in good company.  In her Christmas message, the Queen always says "Happy Christmas", except she pronounces it as "Heppy Christmas".

1 hour ago, alfajambo said:

Is the word "Christmas" mentioned in the Bible?  Is the word "Merry" mentioned in the Bible?

The discussion in this thread is over the phrase "Merry Christmas".  Are some people genuinely offended if you do/don't say it, or is the whole question completely contrived?

14 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

You're in good company.  In her Christmas message, the Queen always says "Happy Christmas", except she pronounces it as "Heppy Christmas".

Heppy Christmas, ML. :)

35 minutes ago, Maple Leaf said:

Is the word "Christmas" mentioned in the Bible?  Is the word "Merry" mentioned in the Bible?

The discussion in this thread is over the phrase "Merry Christmas".  Are some people genuinely offended if you do/don't say it, or is the whole question completely contrived?

Ireland is culturally a mix of English and American influences.  We wouldn't say "Happy Holidays", but we'd mix up and mish-mash our Merry and our Happy Christmases.

The Real Maroonblood
8 hours ago, alfajambo said:

It’s amazing the number of people that believe this fiction as being true.

On 18/12/2018 at 15:48, Sooperstar said:

It's a myth. The same as Easter eggs no longer being Easter eggs despite having the word 'easter' plastered on their boxes.

Spot on. It's something for the Daily Mail, Fox News and so on to get their permanently offended target market enraged about.

On 19/12/2018 at 04:30, graygo said:

Bloody christians are taking over xmas, kids these days are losing sight of the true meaning of it.

santa-claus.jpg

Funny thing being of course that strictly theologically, Christmas is a pretty minor holiday for Christians. The story is only in two of the four Gospels and isn't discussed at all in Acts or the Epistles written after it. In Eastern Christianity, Epiphany is a far larger holiday, with Christmas being a fairly minor feast.

As folk have observed repeatedly, many Christmas traditions celebrated in the West are syncretized from pagan or other traditions (and I for one have not one single problem with that).

Of course, if you really want to know who historically, in Scotland, was the biggest combatant against the celebration in the War on Christmas, the answer is . . . .  .

http://www.phcmontreat.org/Exhibit-Christmas.html

THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND! :lol:

2 hours ago, Ugly American said:

Funny thing being of course that strictly theologically, Christmas is a pretty minor holiday for Christians. The story is only in two of the four Gospels and isn't discussed at all in Acts or the Epistles written after it. In Eastern Christianity, Epiphany is a far larger holiday, with Christmas being a fairly minor feast.

As folk have observed repeatedly, many Christmas traditions celebrated in the West are syncretized from pagan or other traditions (and I for one have not one single problem with that).

Of course, if you really want to know who historically, in Scotland, was the biggest combatant against the celebration in the War on Christmas, the answer is . . . .  .

http://www.phcmontreat.org/Exhibit-Christmas.html

THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND! :lol:

Yet if you had seen and heard the CofS minister at our primary school on Wednesday you would think it was all their idea, right down to Santa Claus.

Feckin hypocrites.

42 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Guys nobody cares. Just eat your turkey and open your presents. Spend some time with your family. **** the Jesus part.

God bless Jesus.

On ‎20‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 00:28, Maple Leaf said:

Dear Maple, thanks for your reply.

This is my response and here it will probably only carry a consensus of one.

As mentioned in a previous post, I don’t imagine that Jesus will be overly impressed by the celebrations we put on for His birthday. Here I am talking about Christmas as a merchant’s charter, the superficial fake festival of consumerism. Having said that, by no means am I against people having a good time at Christmas. Myself included.

And as Christmas approaches, I don’t lie in bed pondering with despair the demise of the local nativity scene or the decline of carol singers in the town square. Or even the next big put down of Christianity by some fashionable celebrity statement.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or say nothing at all?  People should be free to express their own thoughts. Students and colleges from all backgrounds with whom I have met over the years have no issue.

My thought is this, when Christians for most part complain about the ‘Happy Holidays’ sobriquet or the tear down of the baby Jesus in the manger with flocked animals and straw from the centre piece of the Christmas decorations – they are not really objecting to an attack on Christmas per se.

Rather their objection I believe is geared towards the downgrade and demise of their own recognition and social importance as they see the Christmas message further erode.

These peaceful traditional images may be a good thing in bringing to mind the message of Christmas. However, they can be quite counter productive if they imagine Christianity as a peaceful middle-class religion which gives respectability and standing to its adherents.  The reality is that Christs message cuts through our pretentious aghast sharper than a double-edged sword.

Even though Christmas is the commemoration of Christ’s birth, Christians have no entitlement to corner the market and dictate to the world the way in which it must be celebrated or not. Especially when it comes to the self-preservation of their prestige and importance and standing.

From my perspective as a Christian the more times we prattle and moan about this nonsense, the more times we behave in ways no different from the world at its worst. Like entitled people defensive and mindful of lost privilege, losing the war even though the Gospels remind us that the war has already been won.

In conclusion, is there a war on Christ? Yes, there most certainly is.

Jesus entered our world to bring the sword and to fight a war against Satan and all evil.

The rules of engagement are clear and long written down: faith, hope and love.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6.

Edited by alfajambo

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, Sooperstar said:

Guys nobody cares. Just eat your turkey and open your presents. Spend some time with your family. **** the Jesus part.

:illogical:

14 minutes ago, alfajambo said:

As mentioned in a previous post, I don’t imagine that Jesus will be overly impressed by the celebrations we put on for His birthday. Here I am talking about Christmas as a merchant’s charter, the superficial fake festival of consumerism. Having said that, by no means am I against people having a good time at Christmas. Myself included.

And as Christmas approaches, I don’t lie in bed pondering with despair the demise of the local nativity scene or the decline of carol singers in the town square. Or even the next big put down of Christianity by some fashionable celebrity statement.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or say nothing at all?  People should be free to express their own thoughts. Students and colleges from all backgrounds with whom I have met over the years have no issue.

My thought is this, when Christians for most part complain about the ‘Happy Holidays’ sobriquet or the tear down of the baby Jesus in the manger with flocked animals and straw from the centre piece of the Christmas decorations – they are not really objecting to an attack on Christmas per se.

Rather their objection I believe is geared towards the downgrade and demise of their own recognition and social importance as they see the Christmas message further erode.

These peaceful traditional images may be a good thing in bringing to mind the message of Christmas. However, they can be quite counter productive if they imagine Christianity as a peaceful middle-class religion which gives respectability and standing to its adherents.  The reality is that Christs message cuts through our pretentious aghast sharper than a double-edged sword.

Even though Christmas is the commemoration of Christ’s birth, Christians have no entitlement to corner the market and dictate to the world the way in which it must be celebrated or not. Especially when it comes to the self-preservation of their prestige and importance and standing.

From my perspective as a Christian the more times we prattle and moan about this nonsense, the more times we behave in ways no different from the world at its worst. Like entitled people defensive and mindful of lost privilege, losing the war even though the Gospels remind us that the war has already been won.

Jesus entered our world to bring the sword and to fight a war against Satan and all evil.

“For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders.

And he will be called Wonderful Counsellor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6.

Jesus, or at least the Jesus that came back from the dead and walked on water and turned water into wine, isn't real.

The Real Maroonblood
1 minute ago, Sooperstar said:

Jesus, or at least the Jesus that came back from the dead and walked on water and turned water into wine, isn't real.

Jesus saves.

You know the rest.

On 19/12/2018 at 22:11, Ulysses said:

Religion has some degree of permanence, but specific religions and gods are temporary.  Most gods are lost to memory, except of course for the gods that exist in the minds of people living today.

You would expect that today's gods will become unfashionable as yesterday's did, but nowadays the market leaders in gods have very effective systems for holding and gaining market share, and nowadays it is much easier to maintain records of your god story, so maybe in the future instead of creating new gods people might just re-define and re-interpret the ones they have at the moment.

The market leaders in gods?

1 hour ago, jake said:

The market leaders in gods?

Merry Christmas Jake. I hope you like the card.

image.png

Edited by alfajambo

3 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Mainly trading in the fields of Christianity, Islam and Hinduism.

Same god, so many dead, It's beyond crazy.  Religion is not the problem, Man is.

Edited by ri Alban

18 hours ago, alfajambo said:

Thank you for your reply, alfa.

Merry Christmas to you and all of those you hold dear. 

I'm a point blank atheist. Enjoy the next few days everyone, regardless of what ancient book of fairy tales you believe in/ were indoctrinated with as a kid. Or none.

As Dave Allen used to say at the end of all his shows, "May your God go with you, whoever he may be".

Peace!