"Merry Christmas". Is that OK?

Maple Leaf

Some people seem to think that there is a war on Christmas, that wishing someone "Merry Christmas" is frowned upon.

That's not my experience.  Although I haven't been inside a church on my own behalf in decades, I still say Merry Christmas to people in general, and Happy Holidays if I think that's more appropriate (to my Jewish friends, for example).

And I never get any negative reaction.

So, Merry Christmas everyone!!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• The Real Maroonblood

• Ulysses

• Maple Leaf

Season's Greetings everyone.  ? :santa3: ?

I don't think I've ever heard anyone actually say that, though it's appeared on cards for as long as I can remember.

32 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

20131107-202458.jpg

:vrface:The Daily Mail. 

That “story” was proven to be the same as that comic...a big loadashite!

Nobody NOBODY is offended by Happy Christmas. Not the Muslims, the Jewish or the Hindu’s  etc. Just the same as we are not offended by their religeous holidays/festivals so.....

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FELLOW ARSEHOLES (except the tory voters, they can GTF) ?

Merry Christmas. Always and forever.

I'm not at all religeous but the whole thing is ridiculous. 

When does it end? Pork banned in shops? 

If anyone comes to this country, or any country for that matter, they should accept that countries culture.

They don't have to adopt it. They have their ways and we have ours. That is fine. 

But they should accept it as the culture of the country they have chosen to live in and if they don't like it then tough shit they made their choice. 

Nobody going to another country should force their rights, laws and beliefs etc onto those native to that land. 

What would the reaction be if i took the wife on holiday to Dubai and i decided to walk down the street in a pair of shorts with no shirt on, her in a crop top and short skirt and holding hands? 

We would be lucky to leave alive and intact. 

But in Britain that's perfectly acceptable and that's exactly how it should remain the world over.

Being different shouldn't be a bad thing it should be something that is embraced. 

The White Cockade
3 minutes ago, Bauld said:

When does it end? Pork banned in shops? 

If anyone comes to this country, or any country for that matter, they should accept that countries culture.

They don't have to adopt it. They have their ways and we have ours. That is fine. 

But they should accept it as the culture of the country they have chosen to live in and if they don't like it then tough shit they made their choice. 

Nobody going to another country should force their rights, laws and beliefs etc onto those native to that land. 

What would the reaction be if i took the wife on holiday to Dubai and i decided to walk down the street in a pair of shorts with no shirt on, her in a crop top and short skirt and holding hands? 

We would be lucky to leave alive and intact. 

But in Britain that's perfectly acceptable and that's exactly how it should remain the world over.

Being different shouldn't be a bad thing it should be something that is embraced. 

It's not Muslims who complain

You are attacking the wrong target completely

it's the pc brigade who live in fantasy land who are the ones to blame

creating issues where there are none

I've never heard anyone in my life complain about Easter and Christmas other than these cranks

12 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

I've never heard anyone in my life complain about Easter and Christmas other than these cranks

I never mentioned muslims at all. 

I used another country as an example and the pork comment could apply to other cultures as well. 

I kept it as general as i could.

30 minutes ago, Bauld said:

Correct, saying Merry Christmas when you aren't religious is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

:vrface:The Daily Mail. 

That “story” was proven to be the same as that comic...a big loadashite!

Nobody NOBODY is offended by Happy Christmas. Not the Muslims, the Jewish or the Hindu’s  etc. Just the same as we are not offended by their religeous holidays/festivals so.....

HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL MY FELLOW ARSEHOLES (except the tory voters, they can GTF) ?

That's The Daily Express mate. It's right there in big writing. It's alright, most of their buyers can't read either!

1 hour ago, Ray Gin said:

Correct, saying Merry Christmas when you aren't religious is ridiculous.

Maybe not.  I'm not religious, but have no problem wishing my Christian friends a Merry Christmas.

This week I'll be wishing my atheist friends a "Happy Solstice!"  I'll be attending a Solstice family dinner on Saturday.

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, The White Cockade said:

This.

3 hours ago, Morgan said:

Merry or Happy Christmas is acceptable.

Calling it the feckin ‘holidays’ just isnae.

It depends on the circumstances.  Last week I was invited to a local high school to give a talk to a 9th Grade history class.  Judging by the kids' names, there were three students who were Muslim/Hindu/Sikh. 

At the end of the talk I thanked them for listening, then wished them all a "Happy Holiday".  I think that was an appropriate comment.

A very happy winter holidays to everyone!

And a very merry Christmas to my fellow practicing Christians.

And merry Christmas to those who aren't practicing but celebrate the holiday anyway.

(People who claim to be offended by "happy holidays" are just looking for something to complain about...)

Placid Casual
2 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

Out of interest, where do you hear these cranks?

I P Knightley
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Scottish people saying New Year's. :vrface:

Do you say "ne-erday" with the apostrophe?

I'm now picturing you as Granpaw Broon :D

The Muslim festival of Eid would probably offend me if I was in a Muslim country but I wouldn't want to end up slit ear to ear if you know wot I mean. 

2 hours ago, Bauld said:

I never mentioned muslims at all. 

I used another country as an example and the pork comment could apply to other cultures as well. 

I kept it as general as i could.

But nobody is complaining  apart from the Tory press making up lies to sell papers

26 minutes ago, JackLadd said:

The Muslim festival of Eid would probably offend me if I was in a Muslim country but I wouldn't want to end up slit ear to ear if you know wot I mean. 

In what possible way would Eid being celebrated offend you?? 

2 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

That's The Daily Express mate. It's right there in big writing. It's alright, most of their buyers can't read either!

? So it is. 

The rest is 100% accurate though. 

Nonsense lies printed as facts. Seems their reporters dont want to actually dig any further because that would get in the way of their fantastical story. When the truth comes out a retraction of sorts is printed at the bottom on page 19. Damage is done. 

Morons lap it up. 

3 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

My Jewish friends have at times politely asked to not be inundated with Christmas stuff. It's a fairly easy thing to do.

The funny bit to me is that it seems as though half the folks getting offended by the "war on Christmas" haven't darkened the door of a church in a decade.

Awfully odd to get fussy about protecting the holiday of a religion you no longer practice.

9 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

My Jewish friends have at times politely asked to not be inundated with Christmas stuff. It's a fairly easy thing to do.

The funny bit to me is that it seems as though half the folks getting offended by the "war on Christmas" haven't darkened the door of a church in a decade.

Awfully odd to get fussy about protecting the holiday of a religion you no longer practice.

In reference to your last sentence. My Muslim friends always share their food with me at Eid. Although I’ve never practiced Islam I always respect their significant days/holidays however the lovely food always gratefully received makes it easier ? 

4 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

In reference to your last sentence. My Muslim friends always share their food with me at Eid. Although I’ve never practiced Islam I always respect their significant days/holidays however the lovely food always gratefully received makes it easier ? 

Fair point. That's a neighborly invitation (and a lovely one). And in that vein, I've never once encountered anyone of any religion telling me that I'm can't to hang stockings or put up a tree in my house.

Most of the objection to Christmas is about it dominating public sphere, at least as I've heard of it.

2 hours ago, JackLadd said:

Do you mean any Eid or do you have a specific Eid in mind?

Doctor FinnBarr
5 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Is there more than one? I really don't know

1 hour ago, Dannie Boy said:

There's a boozer I sometimes frequent on Dublin's southside that isn't too far from the Dublin Mosque.  There's a wee café across the street which is quite popular with the area's Muslims.  Ramadan was in May and June this year - which meant sunset was pretty late.  It was vaguely amusing on one or two evenings to see a bunch of lads outside the café waiting for official sunset time so they could grab a hit of coffee and a smoke.  By that time, the infidels on our side of the street were well into their craft beer-drinking stride.  Culture, eh?

Just now, bikerjambo said:

Is there more than one? I really don't know

Yep.  I think Muslims generally have two major festivals, while different sects of Islam may also have their own that aren't celebrated by other sects. 

Doctor FinnBarr
42 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

Yep.  I think Muslims generally have two major festivals, while different sects of Islam may also have their own that aren't celebrated by other sects. 

Shit, its getting even more confusing now, think I'll just stick to the Pagan stuff

5 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Do you say "ne-erday" with the apostrophe?

I'm now picturing you as Granpaw Broon :D

Well, it wasn't plural I was talking about. Just the one.

5 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Merry Christmas, when it comes! 

See now that's ok but why would anyone say Merry Christmas when there's a week to go? 

SectionDJambo

It’s hard to think that most people believe  in the virgin birth and associated stories that go with Christmas, these days. That they buy presents as a symbol of the 3 Wise Men bearings gifts and following a big star in the sky.

Whether or not Christ walked the earth, over the years, to me, Christmas is a time when most, sensible and good people, celebrate a time when they give respect and a smile to each other. It’s a time when people tend to drop their guard a little, and think about those less fortunate, and remind themselves we are all part of the same human race, and should behave in a good way to one another.

And don’t take the magic of Christmas away from children.

22 minutes ago, graygo said:

See now that's ok but why would anyone say Merry Christmas when there's a week to go? 

Advent  actually, 12 days of Christmas from Christmas day. Should really reacquaint myself with Jesus. 

Edited by ri Alban

Bridge of Djoum
5 hours ago, Ulysses said:

Don't confuse him.

I'm a Mubarak man, myself.

Governor Tarkin
4 hours ago, SectionDJambo said:

It’s hard to think that most people believe  in the virgin birth and associated stories that go with Christmas, these days. That they buy presents as a symbol of the 3 Wise Men bearings gifts and following a big star in the sky.

Whether or not Christ walked the earth, over the years, to me, Christmas is a time when most, sensible and good people, celebrate a time when they give respect and a smile to each other. It’s a time when people tend to drop their guard a little, and think about those less fortunate, and remind themselves we are all part of the same human race, and should behave in a good way to one another.

And don’t take the magic of Christmas away from children.

I agree.

I'm not religous in the slightest but I kinda like the old 'peace on Earth and goodwill to all mankind' message of Christmas. The whole story of the Nativity has it's charm too. I used to love singing 'Away in a manger' at primary school as it signalled the imminent arrival of two weeks off and visits from all of my grandparents, auntys, and uncles. 

This is the first Christmas for a few years that I won't be spending at sea and the first with my new baby boy. I'm on breakfast duty down at Mrs Tarkin's folks house in the morning (there will be 12 of us), and family are coming from all over to my folks house for dinner (there will be 18 of us). I'll be celebrating the day with protestants, catholics, hindus, and atheists - all of whom are just happy to be spending quality time with their loved ones. As usual my old man will be pished by noon and be being culturally insensitive. Nobody will mind. It's a magical time of the year for me and I really can't wait.

Merry Christmas when it comes, and be good to each other. ?

12 hours ago, The White Cockade said:

This.

I’ve yet to meet a Muslim who is offended by us celebrating Christmas.

There’s even a couple of Muslim kids in my sons class at school that give out Christmas cards.