Injuries woes continues

Chaps

Unbelievable. Can’t think of any other time I’ve heard a club having all four of the centre-backs in their squad suffer long term injuries in the first half of the season. 

Put Haring to Centerhalf. He’s toiling as well, can barely run but we need better distribution from defence so that might be a plus. Keep Smith at right back. Or a back 3 of Berra, Haring and Smith. 

Can’t afford to concede height against Aberdeen with the 2 giants at centerhalf and that big Cosgrove laddie upfront. 

It’s starting to become more than coincidence. Our medical team really need to have a  look at what’s causing so many injuries, we’re not even half way through our season and we’ve got more in the medical room than A&E on a Saturday night. It just can’t be down to bad luck!

3 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

It’s starting to become more than coincidence. Our medical team really need to have a  look at what’s causing so many injuries, we’re not even half way through our season and we’ve got more in the medical room than A&E on a Saturday night. It just can’t be down to bad luck!

You may be right. He was playing with a strapping down his thigh so they knew there was an issue with it.

4 minutes ago, Ron Burgundy said:

You may be right. He was playing with a strapping down his thigh so they knew there was an issue with it.

That was my thoughts too. Regarding the strapping.

16 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

I have thought that for a while now.   We have had a long lost of injuries for a while now, despite having amongst the best facilities, if not the the best in Scotland, and access to so much sports science, too. 

He’s been carrying this injury since the LC semi, but we had to persist until Berra came back.  No coincidence that for most games since then he’s been poor and immobile, and now he’s aggravated it beyond the threshold and suffered a tear.

I’m not going to start pointing fingers at the medical team, but to have three centre halfs and two strikers out with serious injuries before Xmas is not normal.  If Berra hadn’t been ahead of schedule, we’d have had a clean sweep in there.

15 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Put Haring to Centerhalf. He’s toiling as well, can barely run but we need better distribution from defence so that might be a plus. Keep Smith at right back. Or a back 3 of Berra, Haring and Smith. 

Can’t afford to concede height against Aberdeen with the 2 giants at centerhalf and that big Cosgrove laddie upfront. 

It's a risk imo putting Haring at the back - get what your saying but would put Smith in at CB - Brandon to come in when he is fit and ready and Godinho to play until then  at RB

danger is if we chuck Brandon in too early - then we risk setting him back as well - unbelievable - one things for sure we have had zero fortune since the season began 

For me smith has to play in a back 3.   I like him in the middle but can naturally wander wide following play which may leave gaps behind.

Plus we need mitchell n morrisons pace to help get up the field v dons and hibs.  

The injuries is a worry, this is the 2nd season of our squad being bare with injuries

queensferryjambo
31 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Could the final straw have been playing on Livingston's artificial pitch? 

It is a horrible effort of a pitch.

1 minute ago, queensferryjambo said:

Could the final straw have been playing on Livingston's artificial pitch? 

It is a horrible effort of a pitch.

Not convinced it was the pitch. He ran and simply pulled up. The cold conditions, an underlying injury, bad luck don't think the pitch is to blame for that one.

Let us not forget hearts train on these type of surfaces on a weekly basis. I don't think they should be in the spfl but that's another story. 

1 hour ago, To Be Frank said:

Unbelievable. Can’t think of any other time I’ve heard a club having all four of the centre-backs in their squad suffer long term injuries in the first half of the season. 

Yeah unbelievable bad luck 

Not convinced by him but still not ideal on the squad depth.

We can still play Smith, Berra, Garruccio or Haring as part of a back 3. Hughes isn't even worth mentioning as an option as he shouldn't be pulling on the jersey again.

1.  Berra - A severe injury caused during a game.  Nothing much the medical team could ave done about that.

2. Naismith - His injury started during the Dundee game and flared during the Cup Semi.  Should the medical team have kept him out?  He's a senior player and had serious injuries before.  He would have know if he should have played or not.

3. Souttar - Injury caused during an international game.  Don't see how out medical team could be blamed for that.

4. Dunne.  Training ground injury.  Don't know the full details but these things happen, it is a physical contact game after all.  Again, don't see how out medical team could be blamed.

5.  Dikimona.  Again, don't know the full details but player play with small, niggling injuries all the time.  Just our luck that it went from a playable injury to a muscle tear.  

6. Uche.  A match day injury.  He should not have been played against Ranger, everyone could see he was only about 80%.  Did this make his lay off worse or would he have been out for as long any way?  Don't know but the fact that surgery was eventually required.

7. Haring.  This is the one I am worried about.  He's been struggling for weeks now and is noticeably slower and off the pace.  He should have been sent for the hernia op weeks ago and we would have had him back fully fit after the break.  

All in all, I really do not see why the daggers are out for the medical/sport science team.  We have had terrible luck with injuries to our senior and performing players, nothing more apart from Haring and possibly Uche.

Bazzas right boot

Just hope Berra doesn't break down. 

Really unlucky with Injuries but maybe rushing players back hasn't helped. 

None of the injuries are related, so find it hard to blame the medical team for the overall situation.

Haring has a hernia as well. 

Ulche, Berra, Souttar all long term. 

Naismith, Dunne and now Dikamona meduim term. 

Not to mention godhino, Hughes, Djoum missed the early part. 

Really has ****ed the season. 

Please don't rush Naismith back either, imagine him in for two games then out for two months, jesus. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

30 minutes ago, Heartsofgold said:

1.  Berra - A severe injury caused during a game.  Nothing much the medical team could ave done about that.

2. Naismith - His injury started during the Dundee game and flared during the Cup Semi.  Should the medical team have kept him out?  He's a senior player and had serious injuries before.  He would have know if he should have played or not.

3. Souttar - Injury caused during an international game.  Don't see how out medical team could be blamed for that.

4. Dunne.  Training ground injury.  Don't know the full details but these things happen, it is a physical contact game after all.  Again, don't see how out medical team could be blamed.

5.  Dikimona.  Again, don't know the full details but player play with small, niggling injuries all the time.  Just our luck that it went from a playable injury to a muscle tear.  

6. Uche.  A match day injury.  He should not have been played against Ranger, everyone could see he was only about 80%.  Did this make his lay off worse or would he have been out for as long any way?  Don't know but the fact that surgery was eventually required.

7. Haring.  This is the one I am worried about.  He's been struggling for weeks now and is noticeably slower and off the pace.  He should have been sent for the hernia op weeks ago and we would have had him back fully fit after the break.  

All in all, I really do not see why the daggers are out for the medical/sport science team.  We have had terrible luck with injuries to our senior and performing players, nothing more apart from Haring and possibly Uche.

I’ve not got the daggers out for the medical team only suggesting this is starting to look more than bad luck. And it’s not just this season, we had a few last season also with the likes of Mitchell being sent back to Man U much like Dunne this season, Godinho and Brandon others. None of our loaned out players seem to be going down with horrendous injuries? 

We we have the best sports science facility in the country I’m suggesting they look at it, is it training methods, the surface they train on, type of footwear anything really to find out if this is more than bad luck?

Anything that stops this happening so frequently, our seasons being wrecked by injuries and none of them are slight knocks or strains they’re all serious injuries. And while injuries happen and in Uches case it was an impact injury the rest are not.

Surely you agree anything to help is is a good thing? I’m not having a go just suggesting they must be looking at this and if they are and their advice is being ignored then that needs to change.

Edited by Rudy T

Injuries can be purely a run of bad luck or players being asked to play through the pain by staff due to other injuries.

Another possibility is players downplaying them as they're keen to play. Unlikely but it does happen.

Whatever it is.....you have to just get on with it.

Levein out. He should have accounted for the fact that we'd have 4 central defenders out injured and signed 7!!!1

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Just hope Berra doesn't break down. 

Really unlucky with Injuries but maybe rushing players back hasn't helped. 

None of the injuries are related, so find it hard to blame the medical team for the overall situation.

Haring has a hernia as well. 

Ulche, Berra, Souttar all long term. 

Naismith, Dunne and now Dikamona meduim term. 

Not to mention godhino, Hughes, Djoum missed the early part. 

Really has ****ed the season. 

Please don't rush Naismith back either, imagine him in for two games then out for two months, jesus. 

Plus Brandon and Currie out with long term injuries.

Edited by Ray Gin

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Haring might be toiling with his hernia but he can still run faster than Olly Lee. In fact now that I think about it I could probably run faster than him.

8 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Levein out. He should have accounted for the fact that we'd have 4 central defenders out injured and signed 7!!!1

Plus Brandon and Currie out with long term injuries.

Oh the irony. Maybe he could have had some better options in the reserves. We may have some decent potential with Cochrane and McDonald but we don't seem to have too many decent Centre Backs coming through that I am aware of.

Baur is out on loan and I think the jury is still out on whether he will make the grade. Gajda is still very raw and Hamilton is rather small for a CB.

So yes we have been very unlucky with injuries but we still seem to be lacking for cover in this area.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Oh the irony. Maybe he could have had some better options in the reserves. We may have some decent potential with Cochrane and McDonald but we don't seem to have too many decent Centre Backs coming through that I am aware of.

Baur is out on loan and I think the jury is still out on whether he will make the grade. Gajda is still very raw and Hamilton is rather small for a CB.

So yes we have been very unlucky with injuries but we still seem to be lacking for cover in this area.

I'm sure decent centre backs are queuing up to be 6th choice reserve options for us, and get paid nothing for it since we're already at our wage budget limit.

2 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

I'm sure decent centre backs are queuing up to be 6th choice reserve options for us, and get paid nothing for it since we're already at our wage budget limit.

I don't excpect us to have a string of first choice centre backs waiting in the wings just in case we have all our CB's injured. My point is you would think with a coach who played as a CB that he would have some pertty decent young lads coming through and it would appear that we don't unless you can enlighten me on this.?

1 hour ago, Heartsofgold said:

I am with you on this. 

It is not unheard of for a club to want /a player to choose to get patched up to play which has happened to Dikamona and it has backfired. 

I believe we have been unlucky with genuine injuries and it has led us to play some individuals more than we want to stagger to the fabled land of the winter break.

2 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Our form has been great with him in the team, so that's a hammer blow.

Looks like it will have to be either Smith or Haring at CB now. I hope it is Smith because we will struggle in the middle if Haring is moved back especially with Djoum suspended.

Even if Naismith is fit to play I don't think we can expect too much from him in his first game back.

22 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

Looks like it will have to be either Smith or Haring at CB now. I hope it is Smith because we will struggle in the middle if Haring is moved back especially with Djoum suspended.

Even if Naismith is fit to play I don't think we can expect too much from him in his first game back.

I’m so pessimistic just now, I don’t think it even matters who’s in the line up. We’re awful and I don’t see how Naismith coming back in will improve us drastically.

I can’t see us picking up a win until after new year.

If Man U thought for one second that there was something inherently wrong with our methods, personnel or facilities there would have been zero chance of them sending Mitchell back to us on loan

47 minutes ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I’m so pessimistic just now, I don’t think it even matters who’s in the line up. We’re awful and I don’t see how Naismith coming back in will improve us drastically.

I am not too pessimistic we’ve been absolutely ravaged with injury which in turn breaks any flow in the team and I believe is now seriously affecting the players that are fit ,belief and performance . I think we will have a strong finish to the season but we may struggle for a wee while yet and after the break, realistically we may be looking at 4th/5th place finish which after our start is very disappointing .

Bazzas right boot
2 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Berra, Dunne, Souttar, Dikamona with Hughes and Smith is reasonable. 

What type of quality do you think we'll attract to be 6th choice. 

Need a bit realism, having 2/3 strikers injured and 3/4 centre halves injured, all long term at the same time  is unlucky and will effect the team. 

42 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Leeds United have had the worst injury crisis in UK football. They sit top of their league 

Who is missing?

Edit: Scrub that, I've checked it myself.

Edited by graygo

Lord Beni of Gorgie

For Leeds?

Ayling, Berardi, Cooper, Brown, Bamford, Dallas, Jansson, Hernandez, Roofe, have all missed out on significant amounts of football. Douglas also missed a period.

They like us were down to 1 striker for a spell. Couple have downed tools including star midfielder Saiz who has been punted back to Getafe.

Where they have succeeded, bleeding youngsters in and having a training and work ethic where each player is as important as the next

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Berra, Dunne, Souttar, Dikamona with Hughes and Smith is reasonable. 

What type of quality do you think we'll attract to be 6th choice. 

Need a bit realism, having 2/3 strikers injured and 3/4 centre halves injured, all long term at the same time  is unlucky and will effect the team. 

I was saying that we have a lack of quality in the reserves and youths in the Centre Back areas. It was the first sentence in the post you replied to but you obviously chose to ignore that part.

Just a thought correct me if I am wrong but did our squad do some old school training on the Gullane beach pre season?

could this old school method have contributed to the injuries. 

Guess what ive no idea the answer but am just putting it out there. 

Disclaimer I am no expert but this just popped in my head when I read a comment about the medical team looking at why we have suffered so many injuries. 

Pasquale for King
5 hours ago, Heartsofgold said:

Souttar had a hip problem at the end of last season that maybe wasn’t diagnosed, healed or dealt with properly. Dikamona may well have better off on the bench on Friday and coming on for Godhino like he did against Rangers. Miraculously enough our players keep coming back months

ahead of schedule, that’s either miscalculations or embellishment on someone’s part.

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Souttar had a hip problem at the end of last season that maybe wasn’t diagnosed, healed or dealt with properly. Dikamona may well have better off on the bench on Friday and coming on for Godhino like he did against Rangers. Miraculously enough our players keep coming back months

ahead of schedule, that’s either miscalculations or embellishment on someone’s part.

Re Souttar I do recall CL saying that they were going to give him rest and time to see if his hip problem cleared up rather than have to go for the operation.

It seemed to be ok until the issue in his last game for Scotland but maybe in hindsight he should have had the op at the end of last season although I am not 100% sure the injuries are linked.

Just now, Barack said:

Are Hearts now injuring players with sub-standard training methods & sports science techniques, only for Hearts to then over-estimate the severity of the injury, thus casting themselves in a glowing light, for returning these players to health far ahead of time?

This should be in the agm thread. ?

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, Sir Gio said:

Leeds United have had the worst injury crisis in UK football. They sit top of their league 

well said. About making the guys on the sidelines feel involved too, although that's not an easy thing to do and from Levein's point of view, some of he signings haven't worked. Wighton for example could be sitting on a few goals by now

Whether or not we have just been unlucky with Injuries or not, our lack of fitness and energy levels compared to our opponnents should be a worry. Livingston had a very hard game against Aberdeen on Tuesday, yet ran rings round Hearts 3 days later.

We are at our best playing a high tempo pressing game - are we not fit enough to excute it?

Bazzas right boot
49 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I was saying that we have a lack of quality in the reserves and youths in the Centre Back areas. It was the first sentence in the post you replied to but you obviously chose to ignore that part.

Most teams lack the quality to replace 4 centre half's and two strikers at the same time. 

The youth was gutted then restarted , probably a different thread, but it would be good for them to step up, but still I wouldn't have thought any youths would be able to replace Dunne, Berra, Souttar, Naismith and ulche all at the same time and for us to continue to be the same side. 

So with that in mind, not sure what your point actually is? 

If we had youths or reserves of the same quality, they wouldn't be reserves for long. 

3 hours ago, OmiyaHearts said:

I think Naismith will make a difference ; he's a leader on the pitch , he has vast experience and he is the only creative player at the club. 

I agree the team/squad is poor but as much as I don't (and never did) want CL at the helm, he was never going to make a huge impact on last year's dire bunch.  For all that Naismith is missed it's really unbelievable that CL has persisted with a team selection that is just awful and will not win football games. The Leeds analogy is interesting. they had to make the best of what resources they did have - which CL hasn't. Incredible that he persists with McLean (not a dig at the player) who can't head a ball, can't run  but is expected to get on the end of aimless balls into the box.  I just don't accept that is the best CL can do with what he has at his disposal. If it is,  the youngsters must be hopeless because the current incumbents are awful. 

4 hours ago, wavydavy said:

Haring might be toiling with his hernia but he can still run faster than Olly Lee. In fact now that I think about it I could probably run faster than him.

Agree. Olly Lee is punching above his weight in this league. 

13 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

Whether or not we have just been unlucky with Injuries or not, our lack of fitness and energy levels compared to our opponnents should be a worry. Livingston had a very hard game against Aberdeen on Tuesday, yet ran rings round Hearts 3 days later.

We are at our best playing a high tempo pressing game - are we not fit enough to excute it?

We certainly had much higher energy levels earlier in the season so I have to think it's a mental/confidence thing rather than any lack of physical fitness. Certain players, such as Haring, who are playing with injuries may be physically weaker though. 

17 minutes ago, gowestjambo said:

We’re definitely fitter than last season.

Our midfield is so slow it’s no even funny. It’s ok to have maybe one player who isn’t quick and just sits but a whole midfield of tortoises means we can’t play at a high tempo, we can’t play on the counter and we can’t press aggressively and high up the park. We simply can’t cover ground quick enough and this is more apparent on bigger pitches and especially against the OF. 

Pasquale for King
42 minutes ago, Barack said:

Are Hearts now injuring players with sub-standard training methods & sports science techniques, only for Hearts to then over-estimate the severity of the injury, thus casting themselves in a glowing light, for returning these players to health far ahead of time?

What reason would you give for Souttar twice, Djoum once, Berra now Uche all supposedly returning from injuries months ahead of schedule? They were either misdiagnosed, over estimated or just plain wrong. Brandon for instance has been our for the standard period of time. Whether the regime at the club is responsible for the injuries of players is up for debate, Dikamona for example was always going to struggle with his injury on that pitch. Would it not have been better to do what happened against Rangers where Godhino (still not properly fit two months after returning ??‍♂️) played 60-70 minutes and was replaced? Something isn’t right,  we suffered 40 injuries out of the 42 players we used last season, the average is 25 out of a 35 man squad. It’s been a problem since we came out of Administration.