Damp Issues in House

hmfc_liam06

Fellow Kickbackers...

I bought a house in March and have just discovered an issue in the downstairs bedroom. I noticed that the wallpaper was coming away from the wall and when I pulled it back, noticed the wall was wet and black. I assumed it was condensation so I cleaned it up and run a dehumidifier for a while.

However, yesterday I noticed it was really wet again and the plaster was soft to touch. I had someone out today to have a look and it turns out that there is an issue with next doors harling and the lead on the roof. Water is getting in behind it and penetrating the brick work.

The remeedy, according to the guy who was out, is to obviously fix the two issues but he also said the affected walls will need cut out, various treatments applied and then rebuilt. 

Is anyone on here qualified to comment on the above or could possibly come and assess? I'm obviously concerned about a bill running into the many thousands as this seems like a huge job!

Thanks in advance to any input!

17 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Have you checked if the house insurance would cover it.

We haven't checked yet but I don't think property neglect is covered. Which is what this falls under.

Not entirely where we stand claiming against the neighbours. The lead, which hasn't been attached properly, is on our roof. Will definitely need to get the insurance folks phoned tomorrow, unfortunately they're closed now.

All I can offer is that getting a second opinion from an expert in damp etc. 

Obviously nothing showed in the buying survey but I'd maybe contact your lawyer. Doubt there's anything can be done but worth asking maybe.

But get that second opinion rapid. 

19 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fellow Kickbackers...

I bought a house in March and have just discovered an issue in the downstairs bedroom. I noticed that the wallpaper was coming away from the wall and when I pulled it back, noticed the wall was wet and black. I assumed it was condensation so I cleaned it up and run a dehumidifier for a while.

However, yesterday I noticed it was really wet again and the plaster was soft to touch. I had someone out today to have a look and it turns out that there is an issue with next doors harling and the lead on the roof. Water is getting in behind it and penetrating the brick work.

The remeedy, according to the guy who was out, is to obviously fix the two issues but he also said the affected walls will need cut out, various treatments applied and then rebuilt. 

Is anyone on here qualified to comment on the above or could possibly come and assess? I'm obviously concerned about a bill running into the many thousands as this seems like a huge job!

For a second opinion, get in touch with Wise Preservation - I've used them before and they're pretty good - and get them to come round and survey the problem. They'll come and give you a free assessment and estimate and you can take it from there: at least then you'll know the extent of the problem and an idea of how much it'll be to fix it. As others have said however, it sounds as if it should be covered by your neighbours' buildings insurance, so maybe it's them who should be doing all this.

Let your neighbours know there's a problem anyway, and that it's affecting your house, if you haven't already.

21 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

For a second opinion, get in touch with Wise Preservation - I've used them before and they're pretty good - and get them to come round and survey the problem. They'll come and give you a free assessment and estimate and you can take it from there: at least then you'll know the extent of the problem and an idea of how much it'll be to fix it. As others have said however, it sounds as if it should be covered by your neighbours' buildings insurance, so maybe it's them who should be doing all this.

Let your neighbours know there's a problem anyway, and that it's affecting your house, if you haven't already.

I've heard mixed reviews about Wise but I'll likely get them out as there doesn't appear to be too many options.

We've spoken to the neighbours, the surveyor who was out today was inspecting their house too. Doesn't help when their reaction was "just send us our bill". Not as simple as that for us, we can't afford to just shell out for a repair like this.

24 minutes ago, robbo1874 said:

All I can offer is that getting a second opinion from an expert in damp etc. 

Obviously nothing showed in the buying survey but I'd maybe contact your lawyer. Doubt there's anything can be done but worth asking maybe.

But get that second opinion rapid. 

Don't think there's anything we can do from a legal stand point but thanks anyway ?

Captain Sausage
2 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

I've heard mixed reviews about Wise but I'll likely get them out as there doesn't appear to be too many options.

We've spoken to the neighbours, the surveyor who was out today was inspecting their house too. Doesn't help when their reaction was "just send us our bill". Not as simple as that for us, we can't afford to just shell out for a repair like this.

I’ve used Wise to sort out damp when buying a house in 2014. They were brilliant - we could’ve sorted it slightly cheaper but they were only 15% higher and we were delighted with the service. 

8 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I’ve used Wise to sort out damp when buying a house in 2014. They were brilliant - we could’ve sorted it slightly cheaper but they were only 15% higher and we were delighted with the service. 

Cheers ?

We got a quote from Wise and it was £15k got a local property services who quoted £3k. 

I would imagine that that once the leak is fixed then your wall should dry out by itself.

12 minutes ago, DVB said:

We got a quote from Wise and it was £15k got a local property services who quoted £3k. 

I would imagine that that once the leak is fixed then your wall should dry out by itself.

That's the route I'm most likely taking. Going to speak to the neighbours tomorrow and propose we get the leak issues fixed first and foremost. 

Sounds like a roof issue.  Don't get rubberised paint for lead, get a decent roofer, experienced in lead work.

Fix the roof and let the plaster dry out.

Premature imo to cut out areas of walls.

Get the problem fixed at source first.

eddie fenwick

ive subbied to wise for over 30 years now and theyre the best in the business,,,what they will most likely do is fix the water penetration and then apply a plastic membrane and replaster

eddie fenwick
8 hours ago, DVB said:

the brickwork will dry out but the plasterwork is now contaminated and has lost any bind and strengh

2 hours ago, eddie fenwick said:

ive subbied to wise for over 30 years now and theyre the best in the business,,,what they will most likely do is fix the water penetration and then apply a plastic membrane and replaster

That's pretty much what he said. From your experience what kind of cost do you reckon I'd be looking at? He reckons he needs to cut away 2 sections of wall, both about 3 foot wide.

1 hour ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

That's pretty much what he said. From your experience what kind of cost do you reckon I'd be looking at? He reckons he needs to cut away 2 sections of wall, both about 3 foot wide.

pretty poor show that this was not found in the house survey report, costs enough.

45 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

pretty poor show that this was not found in the house survey report, costs enough.

Yep, I'd have thought if they didn't notice the damp (which is in a built in wardrobe) then they'd have definitely spotted the section of lead that needs fixed given that the part of the roof it's on is practically eye level.

1 minute ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Yep, I'd have thought if they didn't notice the damp (which is in a built in wardrobe) then they'd have definitely spotted the section of lead that needs fixed given that the part of the roof it's on is practically eye level.

Sounds like the person was not on top of their job, happens a lot these days.

Should be some waiting time on faults that are discovered by the householder, like even a small

rebate from the company doing the report, but life is not that simple.

eddie fenwick
5 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

to be honest i wouldnt know what they charge(only what i charge them)mention my name to the surveyor and im pretty sure youll be looked after

14 minutes ago, eddie fenwick said:

to be honest i wouldnt know what they charge(only what i charge them)mention my name to the surveyor and im pretty sure youll be looked after

Just sent you a message ?

On 16/12/2018 at 16:42, hmfc_liam06 said:

Fellow Kickbackers...

Why are the taking your wall apart? Have they exposed the brickwork and found failed brickwork or have they just looked at the wall and gave you a guesstimate with :munny:   

New lead,  patched roughcast and plasterwork. £15000 ::facepaw::

Are the gypsies.