slumdog Indian Leith

Tynieman

I've just ordered a takeaway from this place after it was recommended to me. It seems a bit pricy but was wondering whether anyone had eaten from there, and if so, what your thoughts were?

I've ordered Chilli garlic chicken..looking forward to it!

Edited by Tynieman
spelling

Rupert Pupkin
2 hours ago, Tynieman said:

I've just ordered a takeaway from this place after it was recommended to me. It seems a bit pricy but was wondering whether anyone had eaten from there, and if so, what your thoughts were?

I've ordered Chilli garlic chicken..looking forward to it!

Well??????

16 minutes ago, Rupert Pupkin said:

Well??????

It was disappointing to say the least. It's a shame as I have heard really good things about the place.

The naan was dry without any meat in it.

The chicken was dry, and was almost inedible.

Pretty gutted as it''s quite expensive!

luckyBatistuta

Had so many recommendations of Indian takeaways that have turned out to be really poor. Never tried this one and won’t be now.

Our pakora and bhaji was inedible tonight. Not cooked through and fried long enough, so the batter was still runny in the middle with a strong taste of the gram flour. The mains were alright thankfully. From The Miraj in D'Mains. 6.5/10.

luckyBatistuta
5 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

That's a shame. I had heard good things too but had also read some bad reviews which put me off trying it.

I was recently reading reviews for Indian takeaways in Portobello...one of the reviews said to avoid the place at all cost, because he had found a toenail in his meal :boak:

9 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I was recently reading reviews for Indian takeaways in Portobello...one of the reviews said to avoid the place at all cost, because he had found a toenail in his meal :boak:

Now that I just find hard to believe because it sounds so difficult for that to actually happen.

luckyBatistuta
11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Now that I just find hard to believe because it sounds so difficult for that to actually happen.

Didn’t believe it either, but still put me off ordering from them.

luckyBatistuta
10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

Job done then!

Yup, probably a rival. It isn’t impossible though. I have this habit of sucking chocolate until there is nothing left, annoys the hell out of my wife. Anyway, one day I was driving along sucking on a piece of caramel shortcake from a pack of four. As it was breaking down in my mouth, it started to feel rough. When I pulled whatever it was out of my mouth, that’s when I realised I was sucking on someone’s finger nail. I was trying not to throw up, actually felt physically sick.

Saiyem's in Gorgie Road is excellent although always phone as it's at least a 30 minute wait. The Everest at tollcross is superb too but I recommend sitting in as the waiter is really helpful and his recommendations are always worth listening too

15 hours ago, pablo said:

Our pakora and bhaji was inedible tonight. Not cooked through and fried long enough, so the batter was still runny in the middle with a strong taste of the gram flour. The mains were alright thankfully. From The Miraj in D'Mains. 6.5/10.

Usually use Bangla Kitchen in D'Mains and never been disappointed. Used Miraj once and thought it was pretty poor

2 hours ago, John mcCartney said:

tynieman,shapla on fester rd for you chief

0131 652 0405,menu on their site n all

Went rapidly downhill. Last time I ordered there, the meal was absolutely inedible. Pals in the area have also commented how poor its become.

John mcCartney

haha `rapidly downhill`

just a blip surely,prob a different chef standing in from the master ?
last time i had a scran from there was 2 weeks ago and was absolutely superb,north indian garlic lamb,pilau rice,sag aloo
and chapati......genuinely one of the best ive had from there in recent memory.

9 hours ago, joe.gausden said:

Usually use Bangla Kitchen in D'Mains and never been disappointed. Used Miraj once and thought it was pretty poor

Exact same experience for me. Someone told me Miraj was better so I gave it a go a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed. It helps that Bangla Kitchen is less than 100 yards from my house as well. 

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

It helps that Bangla Kitchen is less than 100 yards from my house as well. 

12 mile round trip to the nearest take away for us?

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

12 mile round trip to the nearest take away for us?

And I got them to a home delivery recently as it was pissing down and I didn’t want to go out in it :rofl:

16 minutes ago, John mcCartney said:

haha `rapidly downhill`

just a blip surely,prob a different chef standing in from the master ?
last time i had a scran from there was 2 weeks ago and was absolutely superb,north indian garlic lamb,pilau rice,sag aloo
and chapati......genuinely one of the best ive had from there in recent memory.

Or you got the stand in? Genuinely not heard anything good about it for months until your post.

2 minutes ago, Tazio said:

And I got them to a home delivery recently as it was pissing down and I didn’t want to go out in it :rofl:

??

It's a real good Indian, the local chippy, I say local, its down the road from the Indian, is shit, if I want a good chippy it's a 20 mile round trip?

15 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

Saiyem's in Gorgie Road is excellent although always phone as it's at least a 30 minute wait. The Everest at tollcross is superb too but I recommend sitting in as the waiter is really helpful and his recommendations are always worth listening too

Saiyem's has been around forever, for good reason, very understated, but quality.

16 hours ago, Tazio said:

Exact same experience for me. Someone told me Miraj was better so I gave it a go a couple of weeks ago and was disappointed. It helps that Bangla Kitchen is less than 100 yards from my house as well. 

Never needed to use the miraj as the Bangla is consistently excellent