Do you have affinity with this Hearts squad?

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Over the years we’ve had some cracking squads, with players who gave us memories for life. We had footballers with character who made you warm to them and who you’d have back at the club in an instant. Someone like Skacel is a great example but there are loads of others. I’ve got a soft spot for Bauben/Gomis types and I loved that Championship-winning squad regardless of ability.

I was at Livingston on Friday and driving home I was thinking about how bland this squad is. There are very few players in it who I really rate or who I’ll remember in 10 years time, and in that respect it’s not a great surprise that we’re drifting. Maybe other folk feel differently, I don’t know, but it seems to be that we’ve lost some identity and lost the old connection with the crowd.

It’s not too bad. 

Guys like Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, Naismith, Uche and Haring for example seem to connect quite well?

Certainly more than the chancers Cathro employed. 

Journeyman pros. Likeable on an individual level but as collective the lack character and fight. Nothing that can't be instilled in them; I think cancelling Prague was the right move but I'd like them to do something like that as it may bring them together. They've been thrown together at varying stages...and the play like that at times.

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Not really. There'sbeen a love in for ordinary players I called a month ago and was berated for. 

Uche Ikpeazu is a lad we should connect with.

Proper worker.

I don’t think there’s an issue with this.  I connect really well with this squad, which makes results like Livi even more frustrating.  It comes down to concentration and quality though, and whilst I thought we had the strongest squad in decades, it’s clear that (similar to the Vlad days) more isn’t better.  The gulf between our first choice players and stand in players is quite frightening, but to be honest we’ve only been able to find that out because of the cards played to us.  We need to realise that quality, seasoned pros won’t come to Hearts to be squad players, hence why we always end up with 80% of signings being passengers.  Time to play the Jefferies card, and give the young players a sustained run, regardless of the odd poor game they may have (the treatment of Cochrane this season has been ridiculous).

I have an affinity for anyone who pulls in a Hearts strip and goes out on the pitch and tries to the best of his ability for us. 

I don't think we keep players long enough for that kind of bond. Our longest serving player outwith youth products, if I'm not mistaken is Djoum? And he divides opinion a fair bit imo. I'd say definitely Souttar and Berra. We all love Naismith. Uche is another that I just love. There's other players I like but an affinity? Not quite sure id go as far as that 

husref musemic

An excellent point. I think we've had guys coming and going for years now that this is just another stop off & going through the motions. The Cathro signings were the lowest point for that but I think maybe it's partly a symptom of modern football and partly where we are as a club lacking stability. 

in ten years time other than Berra & Soutter I'll not remember many.

chester copperpot
2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

I did when we were winning but now I don't. 

Hahahahahaha.

Pretty much summed up half the folk on here

13 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

What is the point in posts like this 

If there's something you disagree with in the post then state your case Spencer, if it's breaking the forum rules can I suggest you use the report function.

Happy to help.

Yes, but it doesn’t really feel like it this weekend. There’s definitely a few a characters and good solid personalities in there though: Bobby, Berra, Dunne, Souttar, Dikamona, Naismith, Ikpeazu, and even the younger ones like Harry Cochrane. The others all seem to come across well when they do Hearts TV/media stuff as well. 

Goodness knows what they were up to on Friday night but I haven’t seen them collapse in such a pathetic way before so I’m hopeful we won’t see it again. I’m not remotely embarrassed about it but they should be. 

Bridge of Djoum
4 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

If there's something you disagree with in the post then state your case Spencer, if it's breaking the forum rules can I suggest you use the report function.

Happy to help.

Image result for applause gif

Don't forget to remind him he can also put you on ignore. 

Do you have a spare victim card?

Edited by Bridge of Djoum

EastSideJambo
5 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Happy to help.

Crack on mate.  On reflection it was a superb post 

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

Yes, in actual fact the whole squad sent me a Birthday card.

If they read Kickback they probably have tbf :rofl:

Yes. I feel more of a connection with them than many previous squads. My FoH subs and the way we rebuilt the club ensure that. If I understand the question properly, anyway.

I think it was easier to feel ‘connected’ with the squad when players stayed at the club for longer periods of time, like in the Eighties, but those days are gone now, and they ain’t changing back any time soon.

If you want to apportion blame for this, then look to TV, agents, Marc Bosnian and money.

queensferryjambo
10 hours ago, Nookie Bear said:

Guys like Zlamal, Berra, Souttar, Naismith, Uche and Haring for example seem to connect quite well?

I would also say Dunne and Lee have also made a decent connection with the fans.

4 minutes ago, queensferryjambo said:

I would also say Dunne and Lee have also made a decent connection with the fans.

Olly Lee has done diddly squat in weeks but be consigned to the bench 

Give me 11 Jimmy dunnes though 

Bazzas right boot

Nah. 

Got a good connection with Naismith, Smith, Dunne, Berra, Souttar to a lesser extent Djoum and ulche 

Bobby is a character, guys like Harry, harrong and even Lee as well. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

rudi must stay

More than I have in previous years to be honest. Although that folding was a black mark, and I see the Celtic game as another one. Yes as other posters have said we've been worse

I have zero affinity with todays Hearts squad. :( 

Who's my favourite player?

I don't have one. 

I love the effort that Berra puts in. 

But no, I don't even have a player that i love. 

It's shit.

Probably why i started a pointless Rudi Skacel thread. 

I bet there was a bag load of affinity for everyone when we were winning not so long ago. Pathetic how much gets forgotten after a shit run .

Pasquale for King

With Berra,Naismith, Uche, Dunne, Djoum , Haring and most of the youngsters. The rest not so much and some of them make me extremely angry.