Songs that put a lump in your throat

iantjambo

Two for me.

‘Brighteyes’ The song I had played at my baby daughters funeral.

’This is Me’ from ‘The Greatest Showman’ this is my wee lads favourite song, he’s autistic and the lyrics of the song really get to me for that reason.

I actually hear him lying in bed at night, singing this song to himself.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• iantjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

• I P Knightley

1 minute ago, Dawnrazor said:

The Sister of Mercy's cover of Hot  Chocolate's "Emma". 

Bauhaus - Severance. 

Joy Division - Atmosphere. 

??

Reasons?

19 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

??

Reasons?

The Sisters cover, just how Eldrich sings it, the original was a sad song but The Sisters gothed it right up and the pain is palpable in the vocal, a killer bass line too. 

Bauhaus, such a beautiful vocal and just a truly beautifully dark song. 

Joy Division, again, a beautifully crafted, melodic, melancholic, painful song. 

My funereal songs.............they should at least stop the laughing ? 

*edit*

I should also add Now I'm Feeling Zombiefied - Alien Sex Fiend, me and my wife met at a Sex Fiends gig and that song is about as romantic as Alien Sex Fiend get?

Edited by Dawnrazor

luckyBatistuta

A good friend of mine passed away a few months back and every time I hear the song (I Will Leave A Light On, by Tom Walker) which was played at his funeral, I just sit there in a trance thinking about him, taken too soon. I really feel for you bud, it must be really hard for you to listen to those. 

A Boy Named Crow

Caledonia - Frankie Miller

i remember listening to this at work in Maidenhead a couple of years after I left Scotland. 

Sair yin at the time, it was years ago now though, I’m pretty much over it. This would maybe be better on a “Songs that used to put a lump in your throat but now not so much” thread.

Floating in the forth. Struggle to listen to it now. 

Poor Scott Hutchinson. ☹️?

Edited by AlimOzturk

chuck berrys hairline

Free - All right now

Was my mum's first ever record, she sadly lost her fight with cancer on my birthday this year

1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

A good friend of mine passed away a few months back and every time I hear the song (I Will Leave A Light On, by Tom Walker) which was played at his funeral, I just sit there in a trance thinking about him, taken too soon. I really feel for you bud, it must be really hard for you to listen to those. 

Cheers LB

13 minutes ago, chuck berrys hairline said:

Free - All right now

Was my mum's first ever record, she sadly lost her fight with cancer on my birthday this year

Sorry to hear that Chuck!

chuck berrys hairline
5 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

Cheers LB

Sorry to hear that Chuck!

Times a healer and always best to keep thoughts positive, no what if's.

Shanks said no

Sinéad O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2U

I hid my emotions when my mum dies, it came on the radio driving on the bypass, I broke down

Caledonia every time I am away from Scotland

Slevinkelevra

Mike and the mechanics the living years

The lines " i wasn't there that morning, when my father passed away, i didn't get to tell him all the things i had to say" ring true with me, had a tough relationship with my dad,  we had fallen out and on the saturday before he died i saw my cousin who told me that life was too short and i should bury the hatchet with my auld man. Planned to go round on my day off on the Tuesday, he died alone in his flat on the monday. 

Caledonia - Only when I'm coming home 

Going home - played on the bagpipes. For reasons that people that know the song can relate too. 

Porter Robinson - language ( piano version) the edm version is good but the piano version is amazing. 

Lady gaga speechless - a capella. Listen what it means to her. 

Loads of others but can't remember them just now 

Lazarus - David Bowie - listened to Blackstar over the weekend before his death - the album took on new meaning when he died on 10 January - same date my dad died years earlier.  

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

A very hard song to listen to.

2 hours ago, Tazio said:

And The Band Played Waltzing Mathilda. 

And his other one - Green Fields of France. I listen to that every November and it makes me sad or cross or both

I'm a big old softy, though. My list could be quite long, with Tom Waits figuring large:

"Why wasn't God watching...for Georgia Lee?"

"Jesus Christ, this goddamn rain; will someone put me on a train' I'll never kiss your lips again - or break your heart." (Ruby's Arms)

"I'll steal a hacksaw from my dad and cut the braces off your legs." (Kentucky Avenue)

All thought-provoking for different reasons

Then you have Bruce: "On these streets, Charles, you have to understand the rules... promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight." 

There'll be more. I'll give others a go.

Open Your Eyes -Snow Patrol. Played at the funeral of my wee nephew Callum, who lived for a week. (I've a feeling I've mentioned this before.)

Aye and The Green Fields of France is another one. :(

5 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Two for me.

‘Brighteyes’ The song I had played at my baby daughters funeral.

’This is Me’ from ‘The Greatest Showman’ this is my wee lads favourite song, he’s autistic and the lyrics of the song really get to me for that reason.

I actually hear him lying in bed at night, singing this song to himself.

Beautiful but heart wrenching post Ian. Absolutely loving the wee man singing 'This is me'.

Somewhere over the Rainbow will forever make my eyes water as it was played at our close friend's funeral for their baby daughter. She was one month old and died by cot death.

Craig Gordons Gloves

Doesn’t normally but last night I went to Deacon Blue at the Hydro (which was the reason I ame back for a visit but that’s a whole other story) and when they did Raintown I was quite surprised to find that it was raining on my cheeks. 

What a wonderful world.

Candle in the wind.

Daniel.

Moon river.

Our parents funeral songs.

Still think of you Ian, whenever I hear Bright Eyes.  :sad: 

16 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

This. I struggle to listen to just about any Frightened Rabbit anymore without getting emotional, especially any of the songs that deal with dark thoughts. 

Poke by FR got me as well after my first break up a few years ago because of just how closely the lyrics matched with that relationship. 

Rip Scott 

I P Knightley

Another songwriter who knows how to hit where it hurts is Justin Currie.

"Like everyone else will do, I'm gonna lie to you, tell you that... you're going to wake up with sleep instead of teardrops in your eyes." (Sleep Instead of Teardrops)

And this one; If I Ever Loved You. Seeing Chris Difford's (him out of off of Squeeze's) reaction says a lot about the impact of a well crafted song.

And Psalm 23 - The Lord's My Shepherd. Makes me think of my Dad.

13 hours ago, Renault said:

Somewhere over the Rainbow will forever make my eyes water as it was played at our close friend's funeral for their baby daughter. She was one month old and died by cot death.

This was played at a friend’s baby’s funeral too. Just devastating. 

The songs that get me are quite upbeat but they were played at my friends funeral. Forever in blue jeans and all you need is love. They make me smile and cry all at once.

Open Arms by Elbow. I'm not a huge fan but, a few years back when I was struggling with some stuff I went back to Wales for a bit and, when I hear it I always think of my family down there who helped turn me round again

Pearl Jam - The End If you've ever lost someone to Cancer don't listen to it

I used to be nails when it came to this sort of stuff but, when by daughter was born I cried and, since then I'll go off at the slightest thing. It was like a dam burst or something. 

been here before
6 hours ago, JWL said:

Tank Park Salute - Billy Bragg.

A few good suggestions on this thread so far but this is by far the best. 

Its odd but I think about my own 2 sons when I hear it.

Johnny Cash and his version of Hurt should get a mention but perhaps its more the video.

This video was shot in Feb 2003.
Cash's wife died on 15th May the same year and the great man himself followed on September 12th.
It was Cash's own house that featured in the video. This was subsequently destroyed by fire in 2007.

All roads lead to Gorgie

I discovered this band some time ago and this song still gets to me.

The White Cockade

The World at War tune has always affected me

That and the opening titles of the programme have always been very powerful and frightening to me

Really brings home the devastating consequences of war

Spanish Eyes by Al Martino always reminds me of my Dad back in the 60's/70's playing

the 45 on his old radiogram

21 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

A very hard song to listen to.

And his other one - Green Fields of France. I listen to that every November and it makes me sad or cross or both

That's the one that does me in.  "Did you leave a wife or sweetheart behind?"

Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits.

I have 2 brothers. We haven't spoken for years, we were so close as kids. They hate each other too. There is nothing I can do about it

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Pearl Jam - The End If you've ever lost someone to Cancer don't listen to it

PJ's "Just Breath" also works. " Yes I understand that every life must end; As we sit alone, I know someday we must go" and "Hold me till I die,..Meet you on the other side." Makes me think of visiting my Dad in hospital in the days before he died. Reflecting with regret on not having had more time together and saying the things I wish I could've said. It also makes me think about my relationship with my kids.

28 minutes ago, Ulysses said:

"Ain't no angel gonna greet me.

It's just you and I my friend."

...I'd walk a thousand miles, just to shed this skin.

Sure beats the Proclaimers going the same distance just to get their fingers wet.

(Apologies. Did I bring the tone down?)

13 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Lovely post, mon ami. 

Ta.

As you would have guessed, there are two Elton’s in there!

I remember finding @iantjambo ‘s story incredibly sad a few years back and that has just stuck with me when I hear his song.

millerjames398

Different corner

Waiting for the day.

James blunts goodbye my lover,

Played at a very close friend of mine ,well more like a wee brother funeral, taken far too soon at the age of 21,,,think about him every day....

Spitonastranger
On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 21:44, AlimOzturk said:

This and Modern Leper :(