Songs that put a lump in your throat

iantjambo

Forever Young - Joan Baez

Highland Cathedral

Sunset - HM Band of the Royal Marines

I'll follow you into the dark - Death Cab for Cutie

I vow to thee my country

All of these have the potential to reduce me to a heap depending on the mood I'm in. 

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• iantjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

• I P Knightley

Arnold Rothstein
On 18/12/2018 at 14:18, millerjames398 said:

Eric clapton, tears in heaven, must have been a real emotional rollercoaster writing that song fir him, after the tragedy of him losing his son, whilst he was looking after him....

This is what I came on to post. I struggle to listen to it tbh. 

scott herbertson
On 16/12/2018 at 00:55, I P Knightley said:

A very hard song to listen to.

And his other one - Green Fields of France. I listen to that every November and it makes me sad or cross or both

I'm a big old softy, though. My list could be quite long, with Tom Waits figuring large:

"Why wasn't God watching...for Georgia Lee?"

"Jesus Christ, this goddamn rain; will someone put me on a train' I'll never kiss your lips again - or break your heart." (Ruby's Arms)

"I'll steal a hacksaw from my dad and cut the braces off your legs." (Kentucky Avenue)

All thought-provoking for different reasons

Then you have Bruce: "On these streets, Charles, you have to understand the rules... promise Mama you'll keep your hands in sight." 

There'll be more. I'll give others a go.

Kentucky Avenue is one that came straight to my mind. Sitting listening to that at 2am in a flat in Aberdeen in 1980, lost in a world of updated Tom Sawyer childhood.

Another is I'll Keep it with Mine by Fairport Convention (a Dylan song) plus Fotheringay - both sung with such an emotive voice by the late great Sandy Denny

But the all time winner for me would e this - couldn't listen to this without a tear until I was about 12 when 'manning up' became required

Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".

Not only is it a very powerful song, it was used in the TV drama "Civvies" which we all watched in the early 90's.

There are a couple of very powerful scenes in it with BIA in the back ground which still make me well up to this day.

The Real Maroonblood
18 minutes ago, VladMagic said:

Dire Straits "Brothers in Arms".

Not only is it a very powerful song, it was used in the TV drama "Civvies" which we all watched in the early 90's.

There are a couple of very powerful scenes in it with BIA in the back ground which still make me well up to this day.

Never heard of that programme.

2 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Never heard of that programme.

Lynda La Plant drama from 1992 I think?

Its on Youtube and worth watching.

The Real Maroonblood
2 hours ago, VladMagic said:

Lynda La Plant drama from 1992 I think?

Its on Youtube and worth watching.

Thanks for that. 

I like her stuff so I don't know how I missed that.

On 18/12/2018 at 01:06, GlasgoJambo said:

Has the contradictory power to sometimes make me well up and other times lift me.  

I played this quite recently at a concert and was shitting myself that I would start howling. 

18 hours ago, Lobey Dosser said:

I played this quite recently at a concert and was shitting myself that I would start howling. 

Can imagine. Playing as in performing? It’s usually done as two parts isn’t it; piano and violin? 

Edited by GlasgoJambo

1 hour ago, GlasgoJambo said:

Can imagine. Playing as in performing? It’s usually done as two parts isn’t it; piano and violin? 

Aye. Piano and cello in my case. 

Perth to Paisley
On 16/12/2018 at 13:20, JWL said:

Tank Park Salute - Billy Bragg.

Oh, and another vote for Green Fields of France.

TPS gets me every time...plan for it to be played at mine with the word Tank being replaced with Tynecastle. ?

Tank Park Salute https://g.co/kgs/5nuqgw

Other candidate is There is a Light that never goes out _ The Smiths

Some lumpers in there.

I have loads all for different reasons some songs other just pieces of music:

Queen; These Are the Days of Our Lives, reminds me of a good school friend and Jambo who was taken too young, life toook us in different directions, but I was devasted when I heard he had passed away.

Eric Clapton; Tears in Heaven, I know this was written about the loss of his son, but when I hear it I always think of my Nana who passed away when I was 10 (38 years ago, never got to say goodbye).

Paloma Faith; Only Love Can Hurt Like This, Was listening to this at a New Year party, it had been a tough year emotionally and I ended up bubbling like a bairn.

Ennio Morricone;  The Funeral, reminds me of an Inciedent at work, where if I had been 10 seconds earlier I might not be here today, watched American Sniper after my shift had finished, and again I was bubbling like a bairn when the end credits came on.

Alan Silvestri; The Feather Theme (Forrest Gump), I would like that played for my exit song.

Edited by belly

On 25/12/2018 at 22:50, Dunks said:

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here 

No explanation required.

This

Days of our lives Queen and Just Breathe by PJs are all great shouts. I would say Off He Goes by PJs is very good too.

Sweet little mystery or Angeline by John Martyn as it reminds me of my mum listening to it in our living room, she died in 2012 aged 59.

Edited by Jamboelite

Maybe a wee bit upbeat for the purpose of the thread but, Don’t stop me now by Queen is very poignant and saddening for me.