Songs that put a lump in your throat

iantjambo

2 hours ago, moz said:

This one....every time.....

Has a different ring to it when you have kids of your own....

Bloody hell that's a hard watch.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• iantjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

• I P Knightley

13 hours ago, Ulysses said:

"Ain't no angel gonna greet me.

It's just you and I my friend."

This was going to be my suggestion, as the lyrics are especially poignant for those of us battling degenerative illnesses.

2 hours ago, moz said:

This one....every time.....

Has a different ring to it when you have kids of your own....

Wow, that’s a bad one.  :sad: 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

Yeah I know. So sad for Ian and his family. 

Speaking of these songs, I was listening to Adele singing Hello last night and it got to me for some reason. It's actually the first song I have ever listened of hers and what a marvellous voice. 

Every time I hear Frank Sinatra singing It Was A Very Good Year I recall a funeral I was at where that was played during the humanist service. A wonderful voice.

We attended the funeral of a friend out here in France three years ago.  They played Highland Cathedral, it was very sad but very lovely.

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Composed by two German musicians for a Highland Games held in Germany in the early 1980s.

Thanks, didn’t know that.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Composed by two German musicians for a Highland Games held in Germany in the early 1980s.

Just Googled it and interesting who and where it was composed. 

51 minutes ago, graygo said:

Bloody hell that's a hard watch.

Gets you right in the feels doesn't it...?

I love the musician, and have most of his albums, but must admit its a hard one to listen to......my daughter leaves the room if it comes on a random playlist as she cant bare to hear it

Flooers o' the Forrest.

Absolutely haunting.

My great grandfather died in the trenches in 1916 aged 24 and already father to 2 toddler sons.

My Aunt researched him a few years back. He has no known specific grave.

Quite a few.

Songbird...F/Mac reminds me of my mum.

Broken...Thunder ,just a great song.

Save Me..Queen.

Fields of Gold..Sting, just hits the spot.

I'm sure I could come up with more ,but just leave it with those.

Amazing Grace on the bagpipes was my dear mum's favourite. The soundtrack to Les Miserables always has me in bits - I can't wait for a good greet at the Festival Theatre next year. Emmylou Harris and Jackson Browne sing incredibly sad songs so well also

There's been lots of songs over the years that make me feel a bit emotional, often for different reasons, and some songs that just seem to attach themselves to memories even years after the actual event. 

My most recent one was after my Grandad died in the summer. We were away on holiday when it happened, and even though it was expected it was hard to take, but I kinda tried to hold myself together so it didn't affect the wee one's holidays. 

Amazing Grace was played at his funeral, and I got a bit teary, but not as much as I expected. Fast forward a couple of months, sitting playing Forza Horizon one night, music on shuffle, and Alan Jackson's version of Amazing Grace comes on and sees me breaking down in floods and having a good 10 minute cry to myself. Just wasn't expecting it, and with my mind nice and relaxed it just kinda hit me like a ton of bricks. It's strange how it works like that. 

Carl Fredrickson

A couple of songs get me choked up. You Are My Sunshine - I sang it to my son every night for the first three years of his like. If he got upset it would help sooth him. It will always be "our song" but he is now 8 and itsnt so keen on me singing it to him now :)

My 3 year old daughter is Frozen daft and whenever I hear Let It Go it makes me think of her dancing around singing it. 

Seeing my kids only at weekends have turned me into an emotional wreck! 

for obvious reasons even replying to this is quite hard as it is 4 years almost to hour since my dad died we went in to visit him and told him we would be back the next day he died whilst we were driving home. Although Dean has become a friend over the years I cannot now listen to this song without cracking up. Dean's old man is still very much with us  even though people assume he has passed. Dean's family home is Madeira Street and my childhood home was the other side of the fort at  Dudley Bank we are two of many native leith Jambos.

Most things make me cry since my kids came along, but particulary these 2

Billy Bragg - Brickbat

Ben Folds - Still fighting it

Edited by Bagel

I P Knightley
3 hours ago, jimbojambo said:

The soundtrack to Les Miserables always has me in bits

Oh man!

"Let him be; Let him live; If I die, Let me die; Let him live" (Bring Him Home) - there's a prayer and a half for all dads. Which one of us wouldn't take it in the neck to help our kids out?

2 hours ago, Carl Fredrickson said:

It will always be "our song" but he is now 8 and itsnt so keen on me singing it to him now :)

Make sure you keep singing it to him whenever you can. Whether you're embarrassing or not just now won't matter in the long run when you can look back and laugh on something as special as a shared song.

Besides, a dad's job is to embarrass his kids by being embarrassing.

9 hours ago, Martin_T said:

This was going to be my suggestion, as the lyrics are especially poignant for those of us battling degenerative illnesses.

Tabhair aire duit féin, as we sometimes say in this part of the world.

Another for mike and the mechanics, actually always liked it however now far too on the nose for me!

Days of our lives by queen, Before I knew what he was referring to I loved it, it really is a beautiful song.

There are a few more, however I am a soppy old fool (for example, flying without wings by westlife (with cristiano castro though) I think is lyrically brilliant!)

All roads lead to Gorgie

Who knows where the time goes by Sandy Denny is a song I find hard to listen to as it reminds me of lost relatives and the passing years. 

Carl Fredrickson
8 hours ago, I P Knightley said:

Make sure you keep singing it to him whenever you can. Whether you're embarrassing or not just now won't matter in the long run when you can look back and laugh on something as special as a shared song.

Besides, a dad's job is to embarrass his kids by being embarrassing.

:thumbsup:

First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - just a beautiful song with beautiful words.

Other than that I'm a bit like Chandler Bing not crying when they stop drawing Bambi.

All roads lead to Gorgie

For no other reason than Townes died a troubled soul before his time and this video

millerjames398

Eric clapton, tears in heaven, must have been a real emotional rollercoaster writing that song fir him, after the tragedy of him losing his son, whilst he was looking after him....

Салатные палочки

Safe in the Harbour - Eric Bogle

That's the inscription on my two wee nephew's remembrance plaque. They only lived a couple of days.  So there's teary eyes all round when my old man plays it when he is drunk.  

Scorn Not His Simplicity - Luke Kelly

Written by Phil Coulter about his down's syndrome son.  It's just a really sad song, brilliantly sung by Luke.  

Alway's On My Mind - Elvis Presley 

Let's face it, we've all loved and lost.  Could resonate with anyone who didn't try hard enough with their wife, partner or kids until it was too late.  

2 hours ago, millerjames398 said:

Eric clapton, tears in heaven, must have been a real emotional rollercoaster writing that song fir him, after the tragedy of him losing his son, whilst he was looking after him....

Forgot all about that song. 

His lad fell off a balcony 4 or five years old. My god that's a sads song

millerjames398
9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Forgot all about that song. 

His lad fell off a balcony 4 or five years old. My god that's a sads song

Yeah a real emotional song mate, get goosebumbs every time i hear it(and a wee tear)...a real hard listen, when you consider the back drop to the song, its amazing he managed to put pen to paper...

Dignity - Deacon Blue.

I'm old enough to remember when working men took their pieces to work wrapped in the wax paper that used to be standard to package a plain loaf. The thought of a normal working scottish man going to his mundanely boring job year after year with even children taking the piss, but never complaining and retaining his dignity is very moving. That he has a dream of owning a dinghy and naming it after the trait that retains his self respect is heart warming. It drips of the kind of values that have been long abandoned - not just personal, but the fact  that in the song, his local council employs ordinary working men who do the type of job that nobody wants these days.

Another for a real uncomfortable listen is "Tell me There's a Heaven" by Chris Rea. It's about child abuse.

All roads lead to Gorgie
4 hours ago, Pheasant Plucker said:

Always makes me think of my cousin, taken too early by the aids. Beautiful song.

So sorry to hear that. The song was originally known as " The Braes of  Balquiddar " 

Here Joan Baez performs it in her style which does it justice I believe.

Edited by All roads lead to Gorgie

I P Knightley
5 hours ago, Greenbank2 said:

Dignity - Deacon Blue.

I'm old enough to remember when working men took their pieces to work wrapped in the wax paper that used to be standard to package a plain loaf. The thought of a normal working scottish man going to his mundanely boring job year after year with even children taking the piss, but never complaining and retaining his dignity is very moving. That he has a dream of owning a dinghy and naming it after the trait that retains his self respect is heart warming. It drips of the kind of values that have been long abandoned - not just personal, but the fact  that in the song, his local council employs ordinary working men who do the type of job that nobody wants these days.

Another for a real uncomfortable listen is "Tell me There's a Heaven" by Chris Rea. It's about child abuse.

Two more cracking tunes. Dignity is probably in my top 10 - if I'm allowed only one per artist in there - for all the reasons you state; harking back to different times when there were different, more basic, values. I hope the wee guy managed to get his boat.

Haven't heard Chris Rea's one in a long time. As you say, a real hard-hitter.

Here's another one: "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I ever had." The song passed me by completely when Tears for Fears had it in the charts. I knew it existed and couldn't avoid hearing it but never listened. Gary Jules' reinvention of it switched the focus onto the lyric and it really opened my eyes to what a wonderful song it is and about dark times. Anything that draws attention to the plight of the vulnerable, downtrodden, depressed, bullied, whatever... it's always going to work on me. 

One other (although you probably need the back story to it to really get it) is a recording made by Gavin Bryars of a homeless guy singing a brief song of his own composition ("Jesus Blood Never Failed me - yet"). Bryars put it on a loop; overlaid strings which build in an uplifting crescendo before Tom Waits (whose voice can be like treacle - and I like treacle) comes in. When Bryars realised he had produced something worth listening to and maybe worth a few bob, he went back to find the homeless guy with no joy. You don't have to listen to it as a prayer but (a bit like Dignity) it echoes the remarkable spirit that some people have to see past the shittiest of things they have to endure and carry some kind of faith or optimism that they'll be alright in the end. I suppose it's a bit like seeing a smiling Hibs supporter.

wentworth jambo
On 17/12/2018 at 19:58, brownkg said:

for obvious reasons even replying to this is quite hard as it is 4 years almost to hour since my dad died we went in to visit him and told him we would be back the next day he died whilst we were driving home. Although Dean has become a friend over the years I cannot now listen to this song without cracking up. Dean's old man is still very much with us  even though people assume he has passed. Dean's family home is Madeira Street and my childhood home was the other side of the fort at  Dudley Bank we are two of many native leith Jambos.

BKG - don't know what age / timescale you're talking about here, but we may know each other. I grew up with Dean and split you two by living in the Fort for 15 years so another Leith Jambo for the list. Dean is a year older than me and we all used to play football together on  the pitch in the Fort - the posh people of Dudley Bank never really ventured in though :P

mikeyjambo1987
On 16/12/2018 at 13:49, Thommo414 said:

This. I struggle to listen to just about any Frightened Rabbit anymore without getting emotional, especially any of the songs that deal with dark thoughts. 

Poke by FR got me as well after my first break up a few years ago because of just how closely the lyrics matched with that relationship. 

Rip Scott 

The main one for me is Bird is Bored of Flying by Mastersystem. Used to love it just because it’s a great sounding track, but after Scott died, analysing the lyrics makes it even more powerful. It’s similar to Floating in the Forth in that he appears to describe how he ultimately will kill himself:

”here comes the ground again, my concrete safety net”

He is the “bird” who could sing, but never wanted all that came with his talent. At the end of the song:

“And I’ve come as far as I can go
Close enough to know
Bird is bored
Bird is bored
Bird is bored, bored of flying”

So sad, but just such a brilliant, powerful song.

2 hours ago, wentworth jambo said:

BKG - don't know what age / timescale you're talking about here, but we may know each other. I grew up with Dean and split you two by living in the Fort for 15 years so another Leith Jambo for the list. Dean is a year older than me and we all used to play football together on  the pitch in the Fort - the posh people of Dudley Bank never really ventured in though :P

moved away to Nantwich drive before Dean was even born or you for that matter so wouldn't have known either of you back then(we needed an even bigger posher house to accomodate my youngest brother)

3 hours ago, mikeyjambo1987 said:

The main one for me is Bird is Bored of Flying by Mastersystem. Used to love it just because it’s a great sounding track, but after Scott died, analysing the lyrics makes it even more powerful. It’s similar to Floating in the Forth in that he appears to describe how he ultimately will kill himself:

He is the “bird” who could sing, but never wanted all that came with his talent. At the end of the song:

Close enough to know
Bird is bored
Bird is bored

I'd never heard that one before. And I'm just gonna take your word for it because I'm certain I'll end up having a breakdown listening to it by your description

On 19/12/2018 at 07:12, Geoff the Mince said:

God save the Queen .

Apart from this verse.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the Queen.

On 19/12/2018 at 05:00, ri Alban said:

The Living years, Scots wha hae and Amazing grace on the Great Highland bagpipes. 

Should be the national anthem, an amazing song.

On 17/12/2018 at 22:40, lauriesrank said:

Another for mike and the mechanics, actually always liked it however now far too on the nose for me!

Days of our lives by queen, Before I knew what he was referring to I loved it, it really is a beautiful song.

There are a few more, however I am a soppy old fool (for example, flying without wings by westlife (with cristiano castro though) I think is lyrically brilliant!)

That is a fantastic shout. This is definitely another that puts a lump in my throat.

Governor Tarkin
On 17/12/2018 at 14:35, SwindonJambo said:

Flooers o' the Forrest.

Absolutely haunting.

My great grandfather died in the trenches in 1916 aged 24 and already father to 2 toddler sons.

My Aunt researched him a few years back. He has no known specific grave.

Every time.

No exceptions.

On 19/12/2018 at 12:55, mikeyjambo1987 said:

Close enough to know
Bird is bored
Bird is bored

I have listened to floating in the forth so many times since Scott died, it crushes me every time.