Is bringing only Vanecek in this January a realistic stance

hisnameis

portobellojambo1
15 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Levein has stated he has no plans to strengthen in January other than the previously signed Vanacek. Will  he and the returning, injured players be enough to see us through? Has he spent the budget already or can we offload/sell players to make some room? Fill yer boots

Lots of people are correctly upset/disappointed by Friday night's performance, and the manner in which we capitulated/gave up. But when we had all our players available to us we were very good to watch, and it seems like most of them could potentially be looking for places in the side once the Scottish Cup tie comes round. Just having them back, and supplementing the team with Vanecek should get us back on track. I don't think there will be loads of players brought in during January, but we might see a different approach during the close season next Summer. If nothing else the injuries have given a lot of proof that beyond the first choice 11 we are very limited, and that is something which can be addressed in Summer next year.

Edited by portobellojambo1

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• EastSideJambo

• stevie1874

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

EastSideJambo
2 minutes ago, portobellojambo1 said:

Lots of people are correctly upset/disappointed by Friday night's performance, and the manner in which we capitulated/gave up. But when we had all our players available to us we were very good to watch, and it seems like most of them could potentially be looking for places in the side once the Scottish Cup tie comes round. Just having them back, and supplementing the team with Vanecek should get us back on track. I don't think there will be loads of players brought in during January, but we might see a different approach during the close season next Summer. If nothing else the injuries have given a lot of proof that beyond the first choice 11 we are very limited, and that is something which can be addressed in Summer next year.

Would you propose that Levein oversee another huge squad overhaul next summer?

Ministry of Football
25 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

We definitely need a keeper. This boy is hopeless.

This is certainly one of our problems. His mistakes are coming on thick and fast.

Following on from Jon McLaughlin was never going to be easy though. 

Edited by Ministry of Football

Theme From Sparta F.C.
13 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Unpopular but I would take Lee Wallace in a heartbeat.

That wouldn't be the worst thing that Levein could do next month. Bring in a bit of experience on a 6 month deal?

It would steady up the left side which is badly needed. Although how fit would he be? Certainly not match fit.

It's going to be a very interesting 2nd half of the season for us that's for sure.

5 hours ago, Saughton Jambo said:

Would go for Scott Pittman. A proper box to box midfielder who gives 100% and chases everything. Probably the best engine in the league and we are crying out for someone like that. Would be a huge improvement on Lee and Bozanic IMO. Would like to see him play alongside Djoum. Still think we need something better in the left side midfield also. Once we have our full strength team back, then our midfield is our Achilles Heel. Too many ordinary midfielders have been signed and CL has went for quantity over quality IMO. 

Pittman and Halkett look good. 

Agree, Bozanic looks tidy but contributes little, Olly Lee is either the most average footballer on the planet or completely anonymous in games. 

Of course Levein did, he’s all about stats, no one at Hearts had ever seen 90% of our signings play other than on a highlights reel. Ben Garuccio was sign because his passing and crossing stats were good in the A-League ffs. :rofl:

We’ll sign more foreign shite before we start to build teams based on players who are proven at this level or who are too good for lower levels. 

portobellojambo1
48 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

The season still has a while to run. We haven't participated in the Scottish Cup yet, and the league is so close points wise that once the injured players are ready to return we can yet get ourselves back into a competitive position, to achieve European competition. However, if come the end of the season we are further down the table than expected a replacement manager may possibly then be considered.

Once the injured guys are back, we'll have Dunne, berra, dikamona and souttar as centre backs - really strong. Left back, only really garuccio. Mitchell isn't a left back! On the right, Smith, godinho, Brandon coming back. Fairly strong with cover.

Up front, uche and vanecek. Naismith quite advanced as well. I think we could do with another striker. Shankland would be worth a punt but reckon some English championship sides will be in for him and offer more.

I think we're weakest in midfield. Djoum and haring good. Mitchell would probably be good on left midfield, if we played him there. I quite like Morrison but he's got to improve his end product.

We could do with another striker and 2 midfielders, creative and sharp, plus move on some guys who aren't good enough. McLean and Hughes are both finished. Mulraney, Lee and Wighton not good enough. I'd give Clare more time but probably not good enough either. 

Hopefully Fridays result and performance will prompt budge and Levein to invest some money in the team. 

I've just summoned up the courage to watch the last 20 minutes of the game against Livi. Hughes performance is the worst I've ever seen from a Hearts player. He made Osh look like Beckenbauer.  For his own benefit and ours he should move on.

We need to try to move Amankwaa, Mulraney and Martin (if we can) as well. Demi is a difficult one. He has failed to show the promise of last season but we need a left sided player so I would persist with him.

When Djoum was sent off (terrible decision) our midfield collapsed. Haring can't stretch and doesn't tackle the way he did in the early stages of the season. He needs to get that op. I reckon we need an  enforcer type central midfielder We are too easily bullied in midfield.

Although I'm a big fan of CL we made a huge mistake by not getting another free agent striker in when Uche got injured - Wighton is not ready. We also need another wide player.  If Osman Sow is fit he would make a great alternative to our strike options - he is left sided and can play wide too so finance permitting we need someone like him who could fulfil both roles. We let all three young strikers go out on loan. Keena and Currrie probably had to as they were injured but why Zanatta? I know it's contoversial but MacLean is also incapable of playing up front on his own so I would be happy if he found another club and hopefully the return of Keena will give us cover there.

40 minutes ago, Paulp74 said:

Once the injured guys are back, we'll have Dunne, berra, dikamona and souttar as centre backs - really strong. Left back, only really garuccio. Mitchell isn't a left back! On the right, Smith, godinho, Brandon coming back. Fairly strong with cover.

Up front, uche and vanecek. Naismith quite advanced as well. I think we could do with another striker. Shankland would be worth a punt but reckon some English championship sides will be in for him and offer more.

I think we're weakest in midfield. Djoum and haring good. Mitchell would probably be good on left midfield, if we played him there. I quite like Morrison but he's got to improve his end product.

We could do with another striker and 2 midfielders, creative and sharp, plus move on some guys who aren't good enough. McLean and Hughes are both finished. Mulraney, Lee and Wighton not good enough. I'd give Clare more time but probably not good enough either. 

Hopefully Fridays result and performance will prompt budge and Levein to invest some money in the team. 

We won't know until next season if Clare and Wighton are good enough. Lee is a strange one, Great start but now a complete passenger. Probably needs stronger players around him. Djoum is currently our only fit decent midfielder.

2 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

I'd much prefer if you did it.

You seem to know more than CL.

I’m all for giving players time to grow and see if they can blossom(new signings)but the midfield is giving concern. 

When fit, our front men take so much pressure away from the midfield to produce. It’s a quick and easy ball to Uche or Naismith who then do so much work in the last third. 

I was hoping Cochrane would become a more forward thinking option from midfield but he seems to be on the periphery this season. 

Our current midfield are too samey. We need a player with craft in there. 

EastSideJambo
20 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Some zoomer will probably ask CL at Tuesday's AGM. 

Looking forward to an interesting meeting.

Happy with how things are going? 

10 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

I’m all for giving players time to grow and see if they can blossom(new signings)but the midfield is giving concern. 

When fit, our front men take so much pressure away from the midfield to produce. It’s a quick and easy ball to Uche or Naismith who then do so much work in the last third. 

I was hoping Cochrane would become a more forward thinking option from midfield but he seems to be on the periphery this season. 

Our current midfield are too samey. We need a player with craft in there. 

That is true.  However, it must be frustrating for them when the ball is played forward, it keeps coming back and they are forced to chase back.  Much better if we had a forward who could hold the ball in, then make things happen.  Uche was able to do that and let's hope Vanecek can too.

18 hours ago, hisnameis said:

Levein has stated he has no plans to strengthen in January other than the previously signed Vanacek. Will  he and the returning, injured players be enough to see us through? Has he spent the budget already or can we offload/sell players to make some room? Fill yer boots

I suspect he's probably looking at midfield options, and probably also options for replacing Dunne in January if, for some reason, his loan doesn't get extended by Burnley.  Aside from that, with Naismith apparently set to be ready for Aberdeen on Saturday, and Dunne, Souttar and Uche all apparently now expected to be fit again by the end of January (and Haring hopefully having his hernia problem sorted by then too!), I think we'll be back to looking much more like the team we were in the first three months of the season, than the one we've been in the last few weeks or so.  Finances are obviously a factor, and if I'm honest, I wouldn't expect more than one additional signing, and wouldn't be surprised if Vanacek is indeed the only new arrival.

I do think he'll be concerned with what he's seen recently (particularly on Friday night, obviously) and will be seriously reevaluating certain players, although more likely with next summer in mind rather than next month.

sidjamesbottle
2 hours ago, tcjambo said:

I've just summoned up the courage to watch the last 20 minutes of the game against Livi. Hughes performance is the worst I've ever seen from a Hearts player. He made Osh look like Beckenbauer.  For his own benefit and ours he should move on.

We need to try to move Amankwaa, Mulraney and Martin (if we can) as well. Demi is a difficult one. He has failed to show the promise of last season but we need a left sided player so I would persist with him.

When Djoum was sent off (terrible decision) our midfield collapsed. Haring can't stretch and doesn't tackle the way he did in the early stages of the season. He needs to get that op. I reckon we need an  enforcer type central midfielder We are too easily bullied in midfield.

Although I'm a big fan of CL we made a huge mistake by not getting another free agent striker in when Uche got injured - Wighton is not ready. We also need another wide player.  If Osman Sow is fit he would make a great alternative to our strike options - he is left sided and can play wide too so finance permitting we need someone like him who could fulfil both roles. We let all three young strikers go out on loan. Keena and Currrie probably had to as they were injured but why Zanatta? I know it's contoversial but MacLean is also incapable of playing up front on his own so I would be happy if he found another club and hopefully the return of Keena will give us cover there.

Kenny Millar would have been a great short term signing

18 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

Unless Vanacek is Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe all rolled into one he'll make hee-haw difference. We are utter Tom Kite at present and one new face will not fix that. 

We all thought that Berra coming back would be a huge turning point - didn't help last night!

True, but then we didn't all think that at the same time Berra came back, we'd lose Dunne, and then shortly after lose Dikamona too.  I must admit I don't rate Dikamona very highly, I'd say he's decent at best, but great though it is to have Berra back, we're still weaker now in defence than we were a couple of weeks ago.

3 hours ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

That wouldn't be the worst thing that Levein could do next month. Bring in a bit of experience on a 6 month deal?

It would steady up the left side which is badly needed. Although how fit would he be? Certainly not match fit.

It's going to be a very interesting 2nd half of the season for us that's for sure.

The guy hasnt played first team football for about 18 months or longer. Cant get near the first team at Ibrox.  Why does anyone think he would  improve us in January? 

3 hours ago, Paulp74 said:

Once the guys are fit we will be playing a back three of Dunne, Souttar and Berra with two wingbacks.  Smith, Godinho,Brandon, Mitchell, Garuccio cover those positions. We will have Uch, McLean, Wighton, Naismith, Vanacek and possibly Keena for the forward positions. It’s one or two creative midfielders we need. Gould and Adam would be good. 

Brauhauser2012

We shouldn't have given Hughes a contract this season. His legs have gone, hes so far off pace people are running rings round him when he plays. What happened to Colin Doyle? Is he not capable of replacing Zlamal? If so why sign him? Amankwaa and Mulraney were a total waste of money. Whoever got us Haring and Dunne needs to find some wide players.

15 hours ago, jambali said:

2 full/wing backs

Centrl defender

2 midfield

2 strikers

OK Craig - none required........

Assuming Dunne's loan is renewed and he, Souttar and Dikamona are all set to be fully fit by the end of January, another central defender is not required. 

With Naimsith expected back this Saturday, Vanacek arriving next month, and Uche now apparently expected back next month too, we don't really need another striker either. 

WIth Brandon due back soon, we have plenty of options at right back/right wingback. Smith admittedly isn't outstanding, but although he has some poor games, he's generally fairly good and with our budget, we can't easily go out and sign someone who'd be certain to be better.  With Godinho and Brandon, their injury absences have made it pretty much impossible to reasonably judge whether they're going to be good enough in the longer term, but for the time being, I don't see any good reason to sign someone else here.  The left side is a different matter though. Garuccio looks unimpressive to me, and Mitchell has been hugely disappointing this season. I've said before that I think he'll benefit from Berra's return and am still hopeful that will be the case, but it's certainly a position I think we need to someone else for, certainly for next season if not in January.

Midfield is certainly a concern.  I think the thing we really need is someone who can really impose himself on a game, take it by the scruff of the neck and control it.  I'd say that Naismith can do that in an advanced role, and Haring might (might not though!) be able to do it in a deeper role if fully fit, but someone who can dictate things right in the middle of the park would be a huge thing.  Not easy to find though!

5 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Assuming Dunne's loan is renewed and he, Souttar and Dikamona are all set to be fully fit by the end of January, another central defender is not required. 

With Naimsith expected back this Saturday, Vanacek arriving next month, and Uche now apparently expected back next month too, we don't really need another striker either. 

WIth Brandon due back soon, we have plenty of options at right back/right wingback. Smith admittedly isn't outstanding, but although he has some poor games, he's generally fairly good and with our budget, we can't easily go out and sign someone who'd be certain to be better.  With Godinho and Brandon, their injury absences have made it pretty much impossible to reasonably judge whether they're going to be good enough in the longer term, but for the time being, I don't see any good reason to sign someone else here.  The left side is a different matter though. Garuccio looks unimpressive to me, and Mitchell has been hugely disappointing this season. I've said before that I think he'll benefit from Berra's return and am still hopeful that will be the case, but it's certainly a position I think we need to someone else for, certainly for next season if not in January.

Midfield is certainly a concern.  I think the thing we really need is someone who can really impose himself on a game, take it by the scruff of the neck and control it.  I'd say that Naismith can do that in an advanced role, and Haring might (might not though!) be able to do it in a deeper role if fully fit, but someone who can dictate things right in the middle of the park would be a huge thing.  Not easy to find though!

I agree with most of this. The midfield has been a major disappointment since Naismith got injured though Haring is possibly only playing at, say, 80% fitness level currently.  

Theme From Sparta F.C.
52 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

The guy hasnt played first team football for about 18 months or longer. Cant get near the first team at Ibrox.  Why does anyone think he would  improve us in January? 

His last 1st team appearance was the 26th Aug 2018 against Motherwell.

He will be training everyday, but lacking match fitness.

47 minutes ago, FarmerTweedy said:

Midfield and width keeps popping up,Jamie Walker loan deal (has both)? Would he be welcome,I was a critic myself but sometimes needs must.

10 minutes ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

His last 1st team appearance was the 26th Aug 2018 against Motherwell.

He will be training everyday, but lacking match fitness.

And his last first team appearance before that was 15 Sept 2017. 1 league game in 4 months or 8 league games in 19 months? Both stats suggest he is nowhere near match-fit to me. He is more into his coaching career I believe. Him and Bazza believe they will have Kelty in the top tiers of Scottish football within 3-5 years. I’d expect him to play for Kelty when his current contract expires. 

9 minutes ago, heartmussel said:

Midfield and width keeps popping up,Jamie Walker loan deal (has both)? Would he be welcome,I was a critic myself but sometimes needs must.

Funnily enough had the same conversation at the game on Friday. Certainly offers more than Morrison, Mulraney etc 

6 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Levein definitely, absolutely, unquestionably should NOT oversee another huge squad overhaul next summer.  

The reason for that, of course, is that the squad doesn't actually need a huge overhaul next summer!

It will need some changes, of course, although how many will depend, to some extent, on how well recent signings like Clare and Wighton, as well as young players like Cochrane and MacDonald, develop over the next few months, as well as whether we lose Naismith and Souttar.  As things stand at the moment, I'd say we'll potentially need the following:

1&2:  Two centre halves to complement/cover for Berra and Souttar. This assumes Dunne returns to Burnley and Dikamona leaves in the summer (I don't think he's worth keeping)!

3:       A new left back. Garuccio hasn't really looked good enough to be a first pick to me, and Mitchell's been a big disappointment (although if he hadn't been, I'd have been assuming we then wouldn't be able to hold on to him)!

4:       A quality (reasonably experienced) winger. I still think Morrison can come good (it can't be easy for a winger when there's very little in the way of strikers for them to try to put crosses in for), and hopefully MacDonald will get more involved in the first team, but another along the lines of Milinkovic would be good.

5:       A midfielder who can dictate the play, and really boss games.  

6:       Possibly an attacking, goalscoring midfielder, the sort that makes good runs into the box/beyond the strikers.  I say possibly, because if Sean Clare comes good, I think he'll provide the answer here. Also, if we hold on to Naismith, this is the sort of role he was playing a fair bit before Uche's injury meant he had to be played more as an out-and-out striker more often. If we can't hold onto Naismith, or Clare doesn't start to come good, I think we need to look for someone else for this role.

7:       Possibly a new keeper.  Zlamal started well, but has looked increasingly unconvincing to me in the last two or three months. Unless Doyle is looking very ropey in training, I'd be giving him his chance in the first team now.  If he then makes the spot his own, I'd be content with him as first choice and Zlamal as backup.  If he's not good enough either, I'd say we need a new keeper to become first choice, and the better (or maybe cheaper if there's little between them) of Doyle and Zlamal to be retained as backup, assuming we can move the other one on!

So that's five signings I'd say we definitely should be looking to make, with another two possibly required, depending on certain players already at the club.  Quite far from a huge overhaul, more a refresh!

Levein absolutely should, and definitely will, be the man who oversees the refresh!

12 hours ago, Smith&Weston said:

McDonald and Cochrane should be getting more game time.  I don’t understand how they played last year when not ready but have barely been seen this year.  Think Harry has been ‘chucked’ in 3 times this season against Rangers twice and Celtic away.  McDonald looks really good for a wide player yet not even in squad 

Saw Harry in costa's last week. Looks like they are building him up on a diet of heroin and slim fast shakes. Would like to see him back as he keeps the ball better than most but he still looks very lightweight.

Bazzas right boot
22 hours ago, Hearts1975 said:

We have to offload some players first just so we can get the right player at the right price rather than trying to stretch the current budget 

I would offload Martin/Mulraney/Amankawa/godiniho (much as I like him we don't need 3 right backs with having Brandon and smith around) Hughes (again great player in his day but times catching up with him) The fish (that's if he is still around) - cancel Demi's loan

if we could shift the above players then target a tricky wide man - in fact 2 wide men - 1x CB younger player,  a LB (garrucio firstchoice but back up if garrucio goes missing again)  a cm (box to box type, creative player although they appear to be thin on the ground)

and get Doyle in the goals and Bobby out the team for a spell 

to bring quality players in the above positions in the club we would have to offload the previously said players so we could work within our current budget - might not be as as it sounds as there are a few wage thiefs in the group to leave as far as I can see

Yip, bin as many fringe players as possible and strengthen, lb is a concern as Mitchell hasn't worked out this time around. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

10 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Yip, bin as many fringe players as possible and strengthen, lb is a concern as Mitchell hasn't worked out this time around. 

Your right - Since Eckersley left its been an issue - garrucio maybe with a steady run could turn it around but the feedback before we got him suggested he was better going forward than defending 

maybe, not saying it's the long term answer but short term Lee Wallace - he might feel he has a point to prove - I get history and all that but all that matters to me is that we get some consistency in that position - might be worth a shout given the amount of players we have tried in that position 

22 hours ago, Dr Ian Malcolm said:

The squad isn't suddenly bad after what better be a one-off horror show. It's actually pretty good when all the best members of it are fit.

Injuries have been ridiculous. Dikamona became the fourth centre back to get one - the only reason we've seen Hughes..

With Naismith, Dunne, Souttar and Ikpeazu back, plus Vanecek, we'll be in good shape. Maybe an addition on top of that, but demanding a raft of arrivals is knee-jerk and unnecessary.

Need more from guys like Mitchell but we're not going to punt him and Garuccio and start again ffs.

Deadwood like Amankwaa may be moved on and a couple brought back from loan to fill those gaps.

Good post

• redm changed the title to Is bringing only Vanecek in this January a realistic stance

We have a good enough quality of player at the present moment.Dont forget we support a team in Scottish league, it's hardly seriaA. The source of our problems are not the players but the "coaches inability to develop their potential"-  as with the present regime everything appears to be about hard work, running and force! The big Czech lad coming in will be out injured by the end of Feb unless the coaches alter their perspectives and develop other attributes.

When CL was at the helm before we had a marvellous striker  in Mark de Vries who as I recalll was out injured most of the time remember the race to get him fit for Feyenoord which failed, thereafter always carried injuries, and never really got back to the dizzy heights of his debut, Jon Daly at Dundee United under CL's watch - CL bought him from  lower  league in England- proclaimed him to be a real find after doing well initially was unable  to play regularly in  his first year and a half at United due to injury, now we have Big Uche- is this coincidence or bad luck or are we witnessing a bigger picture?

In Scotland we are great at the hard work thing but really it's a myth. All the sports science and psychology which is proclaimed as paramount to developing the game /players has been unable to develop players individual characteristics of confidence and belief, if they could Scotland would be fairing much better in world rankings etc when the reality is we are well below this. Changing the personnel again is proclaimed to be the answer by those who don't know any other way but as we've seen in the last 5 windows it makes no fecken difference, wakey, wakey!

To me these players look bereft of confidence and belief, and a realisation that the messages they are getting isn't working- players playing with these don't get injured but players who are drilled to run more and fight more eventually show signs of stress and fatigue through performance and  injury. For  those supporters shouting for them do be given the hair dryer treatment, punished etc for Friday night you are living in cloud cuckoo land-you get so much more out of people when the   emphasis is changed from what we are presently witnessing. 

Do you think the players feel good about Friday? It's a kin to punish, punish , punish and eventually you see the fruits of this. For me I don't want to see a reaction as there is no longevity in reaction what I want to see is a response, a response by our head coach and coaches of the penny finally dropping- that how they are doing things isn't actually working.   but the players brought in are good enough with coaching strategy developing those other traits.

Intersting watching Jack Ross at Sunderland and reading his ethos about development of his club, this a guy who was dropped fairly unceremoniously from our coaching staff yet on ours currently is a guy who proceeded over 2 relegations and a near third out of the leagues all together. Reading between the lines does Jack display something foreign and a little terrifying to the "regime", a different way of thinking and emphasis on different things. 

Interesting also is the return to Scotland duty of former Hibs forward Stephen Fletcher who CL bombed out in his tenure. Apparently did quite well back in the dark blue, wonder if that was a personality clash with CL also, perhaps he recognised his own attributes of instinct and belief as well as physical well being were under threat from adopting the ethos professed in CL's manual!

Far more alarming should be the stalling of some great young talent at Tynecastle who came to the fore last year but have too succumbed to injury adopting the coaches preferred methods as to ones that actually work!

When all said and done for anybody going to the AGM tomorrow gonna ask the question what do the coaches do to develop confidence and belief in their players-. There is an unwritten law in Scottish football these can only be gained through winning matches- this thought has prevailed over the last 40 years of under achievement and will continue to do so.

All injury has an emotional and mental aspect, checkout how many of hearts current squad and coaches have all suffered serious knee injury, it's alarming, this ain't coincidence but more  that these older guys coaches may all display similar traits to CL which he sees as commendable,ie the ethos of hard work! then  in turn pass these down the line to influence the younger members with these attributes but there is someone who more than anyone should recognise the flaw in his ways and thinking because his experience was of  being one of the most cultured and gifted centre backs certainly in my time coming out of Scotland having to retire through injury

I actually think CL understands this and partly hoped his appointment of Ian Cathro could help to spearhead a " new way ".

The one overriding thing that Hearts as a club need to progress is  to display a willingness to grow and develop in a different way to how they do presently- if Cl can adopt this anything is possible failure to adopt this will generate more of the same.

26 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

The idea of letting him loose on recruitment again gives me the fear. 

Better hold on to your pants then. I can’t see more than 1 or two moves in the window though. We know one is coming in and I think he might move for some centre half cover assuming Dunne isn’t coming back for fitness or other reasons. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

Better hold on to your pants then. I can’t see more than 1 or two moves in the window though. We know one is coming in and I think he might move for some centre half cover assuming Dunne isn’t coming back for fitness or other reasons. 

I expect he’ll let another window go past without addressing the crippling lack of creativity in our team. 

I mean, why would he? It’s only been a major issue since 2015 ffs. 

Everyone, in every thread like this, says the same sort of thing:

Get rid of Martin / Amankwaa / *other shite player here* and it will free up money for bringing in new players.

Magic, however, you realise that someone willingly has to come in and offer us money, and come to an agreement with the player themselves, probably on lower wages, right?  If it was as simple as throwing them in the bin and moving on, we would, but we're stuck with them for now, and probably for the remainder of their contracts.

Just now, Phil Dunphy said:

I expect he’ll let another window go past without addressing the crippling lack of creativity in our team. 

I mean, why would he? It’s only been a major issue since 2015 ffs. 

We were quite creative in the first few months if the season to be fair but I think some may have to go before we bring in any more. Could be totally wrong though. 

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

We were quite creative in the first few months if the season to be fair but I think some may have to go before we bring in any more. Could be totally wrong though. 

I’ll quite happily provide him with a list of players to bin. 

Might take him a while to get through it, though. 

21 hours ago, JamboAl said:

That is true.  However, it must be frustrating for them when the ball is played forward, it keeps coming back and they are forced to chase back.  Much better if we had a forward who could hold the ball in, then make things happen.  Uche was able to do that and let's hope Vanecek can too.

This, i'll become concerned about our midfield if they perform to the same levels with someone ahead of them.

Our wide players are often being asked to beat their midfield opponent, then the full back and then stick a pin point ball onto the head of McLean who can't head the ball, even if he could he'd still have to beat 2 centre halves to do so. Ollie Lee looked much better when making late runs forward and playing off Uche and Naismith, currently by the time he makes a late run forward the ball is heading back towards our box.

I'd imagine we will bring in a loan player or two depending how injuries are looking at the end of the month. Probably a centre half and a winger of some sort. 

Although we probably need another striker who can play up top on his own too as back up for Vanecek if Uche is out longer. Wighton and Maclean are good with another guy up front but they can't be judged as centre forward type strikers

Martin, Amankwaa, Sammon, Hughes & Mulraney could all go right now and nobody would even notice. If only it was that easy.

I did also find the signing of McLean a real weird one when It happened & I still find it weird to be honest. He's clearly an intelligent player but he's 36 and can't move. He has absolutely no affect on anything unless Naismith is playing & he's got a guy willing to do all the running. (And what Naismith brings to our team is not something you can just teach someone else to do - it's 10 years of pure professionalism and dedication to do what Naismith does)

Injuries to KEY PLAYERS have crippled us.

No Uche & No Naismith - Suddenly, Lee & Haring have nowhere to put their forward passes, Morrison has nobody to ping early crosses too.

Edited by E3OBE

18 minutes ago, E3OBE said:

Martin, Amankwaa, Sammon, Hughes & Mulraney could all go right now and nobody would even notice. If only it was that easy.

I did also find the signing of McLean a real weird one when It happened & I still find it weird to be honest. He's clearly an intelligent player but he's 36 and can't move. He has absolutely no affect on anything unless Naismith is playing & he's got a guy willing to do all the running. (And what Naismith brings to our team is not something you can just teach someone else to do - it's 10 years of pure professionalism and dedication to do what Naismith does)

Injuries to KEY PLAYERS have crippled us.

No Uche & No Naismith - Suddenly, Lee & Haring have nowhere to put their forward passes, Morrison has nobody to ping early crosses too.

And never a truer word was spoken or, in this case, typed.

4 minutes ago, Agentjambo said:

We won't sign anymore in jan.Levein has already said this. 

He also said we planned to sign six in the summer, we signed 18.