Is bringing only Vanecek in this January a realistic stance

hisnameis

Levein has stated he has no plans to strengthen in January other than the previously signed Vanacek. Will  he and the returning, injured players be enough to see us through? Has he spent the budget already or can we offload/sell players to make some room? Fill yer boots

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Phil Dunphy

• EastSideJambo

• stevie1874

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

3 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

Levein has stated he has no plans to strengthen in January other than the previously signed Vanacek. Will  he and the returning, injured players be enough to see us through? Has he spent the budget already or can we offload/sell players to make some room? Fill yer boots

When we signed Clare he was quoted as saying we were already at our budget limit but he'd been allowed to stretch it to sign him, and we've added Dunne since then. We all want improvement but we have to be careful with our finances. 

Are we able to re-call some of the young players who are out on loan or are all loan deals for the whole season ?

They may not be able to play every game but at least it would provide some competition for places. Might help to keep the current first team squad on their toes without breaking the bank.

I think he’s publicly backing the squad but privately he’ll be eyeing up a few players to ship out and also out.

The last couple of months will have told him a lot about some of these players. Mulraney, Morrison and Mitchell in particular have provided very little from wide positions and if we’re going to have a couple of big men up front we need quality service to them.

Theme From Sparta F.C.

The last few weeks have proved that we don't have quality in depth.

You would've thought that the fringe players in the squad would've stepped up to the plate, and give 110% effort in order to stay in the starting eleven.

But sadly that hasn't happened.

A lot of the squad are way out of their depth and maybe aren't as good as they think the are?

I know the January window isn't the ideal time to recruit. But we need 2 or 3 "battlers" that keep playing when the chips are down.

Other teams manage to sign them. We always seen to get "softer" type players.

EastSideJambo
7 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

I think he’s publicly backing the squad but privately he’ll be eyeing up a few players to ship out and also out.

The last couple of months will have told him a lot about some of these players. Mulraney, Morrison and Mitchell in particular have provided very little from wide positions and if we’re going to have a couple of big men up front we need quality service to them.

Moving anyone out at Hearts seems difficult. We must pay reasonably well in relative terms. Most likely anyone going out does so on loan, most probably to a lesser club (reflective of their ability / operpaid) and we absorb the lion share of his wages. Such a scenario doesn't free up much as we know only too well with Sammon and Martin. 

Edited by EastSideJambo

5 minutes ago, Dannie Boy said:

Maybe a decent loan or two. 

Probably the best we can hope for. January isn’t a great window for the market we shop in.

Howdy Doody Jambo

Is there not any academy players on the horizon ready to make the step up ?

Think Harry should be given a run out , need some drive in the middle of the park , Lee and Haring have gone off the boil , Djoum needs to boss it more in the centre, maybe add a right winger to the list ( David Milinkovic ), pressure on the Van man to deliver the goods pronto 

Wighton and Clare now need to kick on and give more back 

we shouldn't have to be making more signings but looks like some of our new recruits from the summer don't fancy Scottish football where you need to win your battles first

More enthusiasm and a positive attitude required from every player would save us a fortune 

Edited by Old Castle Rock

16 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Moving anyone out at Hearts seems difficult. We must pay reasonably well in relative terms. Most likely anyone going out does so on loan, most probably to a lesser club (reflective of their ability / operpaid) and we absorb the lion share of his wages. Such a scenario doesn't free up much as we know only too well with Sammon and Martin. 

We could send Mitchell back to Man Utd, Hughes will retire if asked, Amankwaa will have 5 months left on his deal as will Djoum. 

4 players we could move on relatively easy imo if we tried to. 

EastSideJambo

Will be interesting what % of Mitchell's wedge we're picking up. Michael Stewart was on £10k a week at Man U more than 15 years ago. Mitchell could be on a million a year 

I like Hughes and have defended him. But that was hard to watch last night. He was embarrassed in a way I hoped wouldn't happen. He'll know that better than anyone I'm sure. He'll most likely know his time is up 

Just a quality wide player needed for me. Uche & Vanecek upfront with Naisy drifting in off the left, if we have some real quality on the right side of midfield then those guys will score shitloads.

The rest can wait until the summer when we can evaluate who’s made the cut after the season. 

3 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Will be interesting what % of Mitchell's wedge we're picking up. Michael Stewart was on £10k a week at Man U more than 15 years ago. Mitchell could be on a million a year 

I like Hughes and have defended him. But that was hard to watch last night. He was embarrassed in a way I hoped wouldn't happen. He'll know that better than anyone I'm sure. He'll most likely know his time is up 

Whatever the percentage is he’s gone from a great loan signing to a poor one. He just hasn’t delivered this season and shown no more than flashes of what he’s capable of. His application is his biggest problem not his ability.

Hughes is completely washed up and I hope he put his boots in the bin as soon as he got home last night. There is no doubt he’s been a fantastic professional throughout his career but his defending for 4 of the 5 goals last night was pathetic to say the least. He’s done.

9 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I thought for a second you were going to address the OP's topic?

Do you have an obsession with players' wages?

Edited by JamboAl

EastSideJambo
6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I thought for a second you were going to address the OP's topic?

Do you have an obsession with players' wages?

Yet you've not addressed the subject matter - instead sought me out. Again 

8 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

We were paying United 0.01% of Stewart's wage, a pound a week!

Their income works out to more than 15 million a week, it would make no real difference to them if we paid 1% or 100%, the exchange rate affects them more than that. I'd be surprised if we were paying more then a token amount for Mitchell.

EastSideJambo
10 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

Whatever the percentage is he’s gone from a great loan signing to a poor one. He just hasn’t delivered this season and shown no more than flashes of what he’s capable of. His application is his biggest problem not his ability.

Hughes is completely washed up and I hope he put his boots in the bin as soon as he got home last night. There is no doubt he’s been a fantastic professional throughout his career but his defending for 4 of the 5 goals last night was pathetic to say the least. He’s done.

His slack pass across the park which led to a goal last night kind of summed it up. Yet early on he looked a threat imo playing off MacLean to the left 

He's been poor. Garrucio is never a Hearts player either which in some ways compounds matters 

Hughes got roasted last night. I'll be amazed If he ever plays again for us. It was a horror show. As bad an individual performance that I can recall being played out 

EastSideJambo
Just now, Smithee said:

We were paying United 0.01% of Stewart's wage, a pound a week!

Their income works out to more than 15 million a week, it would make no real difference to them if we paid 1% or 100%, the exchange rate affects them more than that. I'd be surprised if we were paying more then a token amount for Mitchell.

Levein said that so must be true. He also took the time to complain to head of broadcasting about Michael Stewart's "agenda" being waged against him.....

Certainly Norwich are making sure we're paying a chunk of change towards Naismith 

Unless Vanacek is Ronaldo, Messi and Mbappe all rolled into one he'll make hee-haw difference. We are utter Tom Kite at present and one new face will not fix that. 

We all thought that Berra coming back would be a huge turning point - didn't help last night! 

If Doyle is shite then get in Freddie Woodman, done well on both his loan spells at Killie and the dons. 

Our attack badly needs a focal point, Vanecek will no doubt fix that, but I'm more concerned about the lack of belief and fight around scoring goals with Uche and Naismith out the team. We need a creative attacking midfielder that can score goals and will create chances. 

rudi must stay
20 minutes ago, OTT said:

If Doyle is shite then get in Freddie Woodman, done well on both his loan spells at Killie and the dons. 

Our attack badly needs a focal point, Vanecek will no doubt fix that, but I'm more concerned about the lack of belief and fight around scoring goals with Uche and Naismith out the team. We need a creative attacking midfielder that can score goals and will create chances. 

Not a fan of that approach, it's just guesswork and he's not even on the bench for Newcastle, so he would be rusty. Match action is key for goalies 

Lot of pressure on Vanacek, hopefully he's half as good as they say.

Edited by rudi must stay

In my opinion the reason for our drop off is easy to explain, we are missing a player who is clearly far above the level of the rest in Naismith. His contribution in terms of quality and leadership has been missing since he was injured.

brunoatemyhamster

Id hope we have some extra cash for signings .Should have about 200k id reckon for the semi at Murrayfield, Plus the first installment of the Lafferty money.

So about 205k extra then

Fozzyonthefence
1 hour ago, Theme From Sparta F.C. said:

The last few weeks have proved that we don't have quality in depth.

You would've thought that the fringe players in the squad would've stepped up to the plate, and give 110% effort in order to stay in the starting eleven.

But sadly that hasn't happened.

A lot of the squad are way out of their depth and maybe aren't as good as they think the are?

I know the January window isn't the ideal time to recruit. But we need 2 or 3 "battlers" that keep playing when the chips are down.

Other teams manage to sign them. We always seen to get "softer" type players.

Correct, yet there’s folk on here who think this squad is better than 2005/06!  Laughable.

We have to offload some players first just so we can get the right player at the right price rather than trying to stretch the current budget 

I would offload Martin/Mulraney/Amankawa/godiniho (much as I like him we don't need 3 right backs with having Brandon and smith around) Hughes (again great player in his day but times catching up with him) The fish (that's if he is still around) - cancel Demi's loan

if we could shift the above players then target a tricky wide man - in fact 2 wide men - 1x CB younger player,  a LB (garrucio firstchoice but back up if garrucio goes missing again)  a cm (box to box type, creative player although they appear to be thin on the ground)

and get Doyle in the goals and Bobby out the team for a spell 

to bring quality players in the above positions in the club we would have to offload the previously said players so we could work within our current budget - might not be as as it sounds as there are a few wage thiefs in the group to leave as far as I can see

Vanecek +2 is the proposals atm. Loan or permanent i've no idea. A few youngsters back from loan in January also so may sway whos in or out 

AlphonseCapone
3 hours ago, Ministry MK2 said:

We desperately need a GK. Hopefully we can find one in Jan, even if it’s just a 6 month loan deal. 

What about Doyle? 

7 minutes ago, jambali said:

2 full/wing backs

Centrl defender

2 midfield

2 strikers

OK Craig - none required........

That is completely unrealistic.

When all fit we will have Vanachek, Uche, Naismith, and MacLean up front and can also recall Keena.

In central defence we have Souttar returning, Dunne to return, and I'm not sure what Dikamora's injury is.   I do think that we need to replace Hughes as he clearly is struggling now.

For full backs we have about 3 right backs, and Bobby Burns is on loan at Livvy for the left back.

We are short of decent wide players as none of Morrison, Amankwaa, Mulraney, or Mitchell are cutting it.  For midfield I do agree that we need to get a player in to drive the play,

So to sum up, we need to move on a number of players and hope we can source better than we have now.

EastSideJambo
3 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is completely unrealistic.

When all fit we will have Vanachek, Uche, Naismith, and MacLean up front and can also recall Keena.

In central defence we have Souttar returning, Dunne to return, and I'm not sure what Dikamora's injury is.   I do think that we need to replace Hughes as he clearly is struggling now.

For full backs we have about 3 right backs, and Bobby Burns is on loan at Livvy for the left back.

We are short of decent wide players as none of Morrison, Amankwaa, Mulraney, or Mitchell are cutting it.  For midfield I do agree that we need to get a player in to drive the play,

So to sum up, we need to move on a number of players and hope we can source better than we have now.

I'd still hope Morrison will come good. The final product is lacking. Not sure he's had much to hit of late though. Mitchell has been a huge disappointment and Mulraney and Amankwaa have shown nothing 

I still feel like we need a nasty ***** in the middle of the park. I hate him but a Scott Brown type player. Olly Lee just isn’t cutting it right now.

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I still feel like we need a nasty ***** in the middle of the park. I hate him but a Scott Brown type player. Olly Lee just isn’t cutting it right now.

I liked Adao a lot

Seymour M Hersh
2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Lee isn't that type of player but I agree we need an enforcer in midfield. 

Regardless of the need, yet again, for significant incoming signings the current imposter in charge of making those decisions should be emptied long before that deadline. A clueless, tired, boring, shell of what he once was, I’d rather he embarrassed himself further than give him another £ to waste on his pish poor recruitment. Pay him off, regroup and employ someone with ambition, hunger, a desire and the ability to utilise the resources of the 3rd biggest club in the country. Craig Levein is a caricature in Scottish football, a pathetic joke. If he was a racehorse he’d be glue by now.

Edited by magicTs

10 hours ago, hisnameis said:

I never believe anything managers say to the media around this time regarding transfers. It can more often that not just be a message to a team, an agent or a player who is after too much money in transfer/contact negotiations.

fabienleclerq

We were swatting teams aside with everyone fit so I don't think it's a stretch to say we don't need many if anyone in January.

The Biggest problem is the ball not sticking up front, Uche and hopefully DV will fix that. Levein hasn't adapted the formation well enough to suit playing McLean on his own.

Naismith will link everything together again and we will start beating teams again. Once they are back I'd like to see Harry back in the team as we are desperate for a proper centre Midfield player and he is it.

9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Just a quality wide player needed for me. Uche & Vanecek upfront with Naisy drifting in off the left, if we have some real quality on the right side of midfield then those guys will score shitloads.

The rest can wait until the summer when we can evaluate who’s made the cut after the season. 

Would go for Scott Pittman. A proper box to box midfielder who gives 100% and chases everything. Probably the best engine in the league and we are crying out for someone like that. Would be a huge improvement on Lee and Bozanic IMO. Would like to see him play alongside Djoum. Still think we need something better in the left side midfield also. Once we have our full strength team back, then our midfield is our Achilles Heel. Too many ordinary midfielders have been signed and CL has went for quantity over quality IMO. 

McDonald and Cochrane should be getting more game time.  I don’t understand how they played last year when not ready but have barely been seen this year.  Think Harry has been ‘chucked’ in 3 times this season against Rangers twice and Celtic away.  McDonald looks really good for a wide player yet not even in squad 

Will depend on expected return dates for Dunne Souttar and Uche. If they are going to be fit in Jan then we have Naismith Dunne Souttar Uche Brandon and Vanacek to add to Friday’s squad after the break. Cant see many more than another one or two on top of that. Midfielder and winger maybe

12 hours ago, Ministry MK2 said:

We desperately need a GK. Hopefully we can find one in Jan, even if it’s just a 6 month loan deal. 

How much have you seen of Doyle? To suggest we desperately need a goalkeeper is up there with  the least logical statements posted on here, which is some achievement. Other than Zlamal, who’s had a solid 6/10 season thus far, we have an Irish international keeper who’s made hundreds of appearances in the English League One and Championship. The only thing we ‘desperately’ need is  Souttar, Dunne, Dikamon, Uche, Naismith & Vanacek in the match day squad. Other than the returning players I believe we still need a top quality central midfielder. Berra and Naismith with a similar quality player added to midfield would complete the spine of the team.

Edited by Mr Elwood P

I think our significant signings will be in the summer.

Lot of pressure on the guys in January to bit the ground running.

Just have to hope Naismith and Uche  can  have good form and remain injury free and Vanacek ain't a dud which with our signings the last few years isn't beyond the realms of possibility.

Dr Ian Malcolm

The squad isn't suddenly bad after what better be a one-off horror show. It's actually pretty good when all the best members of it are fit.

Injuries have been ridiculous. Dikamona became the fourth centre back to get one - the only reason we've seen Hughes..

With Naismith, Dunne, Souttar and Ikpeazu back, plus Vanecek, we'll be in good shape. Maybe an addition on top of that, but demanding a raft of arrivals is knee-jerk and unnecessary.

Need more from guys like Mitchell but we're not going to punt him and Garuccio and start again ffs.

Deadwood like Amankwaa may be moved on and a couple brought back from loan to fill those gaps.

Ministry of Football
14 hours ago, Ministry MK2 said:

Probably the best we can hope for. January isn’t a great window for the market we shop in.

Neither is the summer by the look of half our squad. 

• redm changed the title to Is bringing only Vanecek in this January a realistic stance