Players you would let go in January

Top Corner

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, ToqueJambo said:

So I had time on my hands and was interested. This is my opinion of course and I can see a lot of difference of opinion in terms of the solid category but the successes clearly outweigh the duds. It could be argued that a few of the solids could be or will be by the end of this season seen as successes. And as you seem determined to use recruitment as a stick to beat Levein with I'm pretty sure you will classify a few of the Solid players as duds. But the fact is within our budget those guys were all solid enough signings, and a better manager than Cathro - Levein for example - might have got a lot more out of the likes of Johnson, Tziolis, Struna and co.

The duds list is too long for me, but considering the changes in management, the requirement to get from admin to at least Europe as quickly as possible, and our stated policy of taking low risk punts, I'm satisfied that we haven't wasted a lot of money on duds, with one notable exception. 

Of the ones I can remember:

Huge successes (Became important or vital players who contribute(ed) a lot): Sow, Zeefuik, Naismith, Berra, Lafferty, Dunne, Haring, Souttar, McLaughlin

Successes (became key players, even just for one season): Eckersley, Uche, Alexander, Gomis, Pallardo, Ozturk, Rossi

Solid (ie did/doing a job but inconsistent): McLean, Lee, Bauben, Djoum, Keatings, Bozanic, Smith, Dikamona, Hughes, Zlamal, Johnson, Muirhead, Delgado, Augustyn, Cowie. MItchell, KItchen, Avionitis, Nowak, Goncalves, Milinkovic, Randall, Callachan, Adao, Garrucio, Mulraney

Disappointing (high hopes/good pedigree but didn't live up to it): Reilly, Sammon, Watt, Clare*, Wighton*, Tziolis, Struna

Duds: Oshaniwa, Anderson, El Hassnoui**, Swanson, Dauda, Choulay, Bikey, Sowah, Martin, Smith-Brown**, Stockton, Grezlak, Amankawaa

TBD: Edwards, Burns, Vanacek

*Jury's out for me

** Mostly injured

I think your memory serves you well, I can only think of Victor Noring and Colin Doyle that you forgot. I agree with most of that. I would rate Djoum and Isma higher too. Not about Hughes though who has been unavailable most of the time, average at best and hopeless on numerous occasions. Alvonitis was a dud too, he and Hughes Easter Road in the cup will make me angry forever more. Mulraney is a dud too. Out of all those players and the others he signed for the youths like Cochrane there’s barely a team worth of Huge successes, which you originally stated. That’s an awful lot of players that haven’t been good enough and needed replaced without any real upgrade in quality. That all costs money I’m afraid and the money wasted on Oshiniwa/Sammon/Martin/Tzolis and the rest runs into the millions. I think we lost out with Johnsen too, did he not move for £3m last summer.  Far more mistakes than successs. 

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• Top Corner

• Thomaso

• soonbe110

Really excited to seeing Vanecek. Obviously this doesn't determine whether he is any good at SPL standard but the Youtube clips of the lad look promising. He looks absolutely massive - big unit. Could cause a lot of defences problems. Him and Uche up top could be interesting.

Edited by Gorillajam

16 hours ago, ToqueJambo said:

Huge successes in terms of recruitment. You make out that the last 4.5 years have been a disaster with recruitment at the centre of it. The high number of players is explained by the growing budget and the changes of managers.

IMO we’ve had a genuinely bad 1.5 years max from that 4.5. We’ve also had a great season and a meh season. Pretty standard.

A major part of the DOF role though is to ensure continuity in playing style etc despite changes to the coaching staff.

Levein/ Neilson basically shat the bed when promoted and brought in defenders whom  didn't  pass the ball well and not enough forwards to keep the high press stuff going for 90 minutes, like we did in the championship season.

The next change was to go even more defensive by trying to make Paterson (a goal scoring full=back) into a more defensive minded full=back and convert Nicholson into a wing-back.

Then a further change in using only one winger in the team leading to a lopsided attacking effort ,which is easier to defend against.

From Levien /Cathro onwards to play with as little width as possible and move towards three at the back although its really five due to the lack of intent by the wing-backs to get forward.

In regards to signings I think we were lucky to have Paterson, Walker, Nicholson,and King ,which made some of them look better than they actually were in the earlier periods and they subsequently have never really been properly replaced .

I'd have been happy to have had a survival season with the Championship side(with a few quality additions)  for the first season back up and rebuild properly,with quality, the following season,when we had greater resources to do so,rather than the wasteful scattergun/gambler's approach to signings, which has ensued since.  .

21 minutes ago, maroon said:

Yes he has told Levein he isnt signing 

If that's true he'll get a stand seat view of the games after this month unless we get an offer.

Loan players aside, I can't see CL wasting much time/effort on someone who's not staying.  He's not exactly a Messi or a Ronaldo.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

If that's true he'll get a stand seat view of the games after this month unless we get an offer.

Loan players aside, I can't see CL wasting much time/effort on someone who's not staying.  He's not exactly a Messi or a Ronaldo.

With 70% of the team injured, he might not have a choice. 

1 hour ago, maroon said:

Yes he has told Levein he isnt signing 

Different to what he said two weeks ago then.  Can only assume he has an offer from elsewhere so we should get a fee of sorts for him in January to let him go early. Good news all round. 

46 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Think he is only eligible for Hamilton game before the break so I’d imagine we may not see him again if he wants to leave. 

23 hours ago, Top Corner said:

Messi would get the ball, dance past 3 players and put the ball in the net. 

That's without a pre season and time to bed into the team!

Our players don't have the willingness to even try that never mind the capability.

In all the nonsense in this thread, this particular post got lost which is a d game, because this is outstanding 

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 15:02, magicTs said:

Amankwaa was brought on to play 80 minutes in a major semi-final in front of nigh on 30,000 Hearts fans. Let that sink in.

Mulraney could barely get a game for ICT in the Championship yet we signed him. Let that sink in.

Edwards was signed and sent out on loan. Let that sink in.

I could go on. And this after several total cluster**** transfer windows overseen by our then DoF, now Head Coach. No accountability. No pressure. The cushiest job in British football. Dismal.

I get your point, especially Amankwaa. How he was the go-to sub in that game beats me. as for the other two it maybe depends on how much we're paying them. if they're on small salaries they may have been seen as a worthwhile punt

1 hour ago, Top Corner said:

With 70% of the team injured, he might not have a choice. 

I'm assuming that come January we will have most of our injured players back but in any event it's areas other than MF that have taken the brunt of the injuries.

5 hours ago, maroon said:

djoum will be away by January as he's not signing a new deal

Good that's like an early Christmas present free up a wage also 

1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

I'm assuming that come January we will have most of our injured players back but in any event it's areas other than MF that have taken the brunt of the injuries.

Levein might want to play him as a loan striker though. 

Pheasant Plucker
1 hour ago, kimosavi said:

Good that's like an early Christmas present free up a wage also 

4 hours ago, Agentjambo said:

He's a ****ing passenger anyway...won't be missed.

Correct.

Pheasant Plucker
5 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Incorrect

Care to elaborate? Regardless of injuries, since his stepping stone chat, he's done nothing of note and adds nothing to the team. No offers for him either. Get rid.

Edited by Pheasant Plucker

1 minute ago, Pheasant Plucker said:

Care to elaborate? Regardless of injuries, since his stepping stone chat, he's done nothing of note and adds nothing to the team. No offers for him either. Get rid.

Certainly. I disagree with everything you said above.

Pheasant Plucker
Just now, Ray Gin said:

Certainly. I disagree with everything you said above.

Fair enough. What does he add to the team in your opinion?

4 minutes ago, Pheasant Plucker said:

Fair enough. What does he add to the team in your opinion?

Pheasant is lovely braised with gin. 

jack D and coke
3 hours ago, upgotheheads said:

I get your point, especially Amankwaa. How he was the go-to sub in that game beats me. as for the other two it maybe depends on how much we're paying them. if they're on small salaries they may have been seen as a worthwhile punt

Bringing that complete and utter chancer and imposter on in the semi was tantamount to chucking the game.

A quite woeful decision from CL. 

7 hours ago, Jingle Bells said:

A major part of the DOF role though is to ensure continuity in playing style etc despite changes to the coaching staff.

Levein/ Neilson basically shat the bed when promoted and brought in defenders whom  didn't  pass the ball well and not enough forwards to keep the high press stuff going for 90 minutes, like we did in the championship season.

The next change was to go even more defensive by trying to make Paterson (a goal scoring full=back) into a more defensive minded full=back and convert Nicholson into a wing-back.

Then a further change in using only one winger in the team leading to a lopsided attacking effort ,which is easier to defend against.

From Levien /Cathro onwards to play with as little width as possible and move towards three at the back although its really five due to the lack of intent by the wing-backs to get forward.

In regards to signings I think we were lucky to have Paterson, Walker, Nicholson,and King ,which made some of them look better than they actually were in the earlier periods and they subsequently have never really been properly replaced .

I'd have been happy to have had a survival season with the Championship side(with a few quality additions)  for the first season back up and rebuild properly,with quality, the following season,when we had greater resources to do so,rather than the wasteful scattergun/gambler's approach to signings, which has ensued since.  .

I agree with much of that. They could have rested on their laurels and stuck with the championship team longer but I think they wanted to upgrade the squad year on year. Then Cathro happened which led to one unnecessary squad rebuild followed by necessary stopgap signings after he was sacked then the needed major revamp in summer. I think recruitment will slow down considerably now until a new manager comes in. Certainly anyone comjng in say at end this season would have a much better squad than Neilson, Cathro and Levein when they all took over.

Bridge of Djoum

Thread went predictably south after PFK stopped listening to reason.

Bans for anyone who fails to recognize good form went bad after injuries to several key players. 

1 minute ago, maroon said:

surely rather djoum than bozanic??

Perhaps Djoum has more ability than Bozanic but Bozanic has more desire and implements what he has got....unlike Djoum.

On 15/12/2018 at 14:50, Cruyff Turn said:

I’d wait until the summer before binning anyone. 

Certainly wouldn’t be binning MacLean who has been excellent when paired with Naisy. He was brought in as back up but is being expected to play a lone striker role every week. Thankless task.

Yes, the jury is out on most of them but they deserve the season at least, things could change quite quickly.

You also need cover in squad.

Just Malaury Martin if he find a club. Wasn't in Dunfermiline squad last weekend so fingers crossed he's away arranging something. 

Not a fan of bozanic personally runs around like a headless chicken shows absolutely 0 composure for a cm something we desperately need and something djoum has

1 minute ago, maroon said:

Not a fan of bozanic personally runs around like a headless chicken shows absolutely 0 composure for a cm something we desperately need and something djoum has

Even in the semi final Bozanic spent the warm up geeing up the hearts fans and when it came down to the game he was an absolute shambles. 

rudi must stay
2 hours ago, maroon said:

Even in the semi final Bozanic spent the warm up geeing up the hearts fans and when it came down to the game he was an absolute shambles. 

One of those that isn't appreciated. He works hard and will chip in with a few goals, I like him. The more  guys like him in a team the better

2 hours ago, maroon said: