Don Dan

16 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Instead of buying Wighton we could’ve had Shankland for £200k. We were willing to spend double that on Milinkovic. We could’ve had Greg Stewart on loan who has played most games on an awful home pitch. Hate myself for saying this and I know I will get abuse for it but a an old guy called Miller is still leading the line and has scored more goals for a poor team than any of our players bar Naismith.Danny Johnson has done well at Motherwell. Dolly Menga isn’t a prolific goal scorer but is a handful, a bit like Uche and we could’ve got someone on loan thatvsurely would be better than we’ve had. Levein himself says he signed 18 players because of injuries and suspensions. Hindsight is wonderful, so is 35 years experience in the game that should give our manager all the knowledge required to see what might happen and strengthen accordingly.

Good effort.  We could have had Jason Holt from Fleetwood as well!

Can you guarantee Shankland would be a success in the top division where he has already failed or would he be another Denis Wyness?  Wighton already has experience in the top division and given time could still prove to be a shrewd buy.  Danny Johnston has had a chequered career having been freed by Hartlepool and having played for the mighty Guisborough Town.  Just imagine the hoo-hah on Kickback a signing with that background would have made. To be fair, he has done OK but nothing startling.

Menga is a bit like Uche in that he was a relative unknown but quite frankly, but for injury, I think Uche would have been a much better acquisition - and we can't sign everyone.  With hindsight, Miller has done well enough at Dundee but was it not the case he was toying with management and became Livi's player/manager in June.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• Pasquale for King

• wavydavy

• Don Dan

Top Posters In This Topic

37 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Instead of buying Wighton we could’ve had Shankland for £200k. We were willing to spend double that on Milinkovic. We could’ve had Greg Stewart on loan who has played most games on an awful home pitch. Hate myself for saying this and I know I will get abuse for it but a an old guy called Miller is still leading the line and has scored more goals for a poor team than any of our players bar Naismith.Danny Johnson has done well at Motherwell. Dolly Menga isn’t a prolific goal scorer but is a handful, a bit like Uche and we could’ve got someone on loan thatvsurely would be better than we’ve had. Levein himself says he signed 18 players because of injuries and suspensions. Hindsight is wonderful, so is 35 years experience in the game that should give our manager all the knowledge required to see what might happen and strengthen accordingly.

I really don't like this one. Every single club in the world failed to sign Shankland for 200k in the summer, it's hardly a particular failing of ours. 

4 hours ago, frankblack said:

I tried to explain that we have used about 3 or 4 players in wide positions because none have shown what is required to hold down a place.  If you call it tinkering, I just call it disappointing that none of these players have shown the desire or quality to hold down the wide positions.

You may call that tinkering, but I'm just disappointed that none of those wide players are good enough and we need to ship them out to get hopefully something better in.

I certainly agree with your last sentence however how many attempts does he need to find the right players?

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Good effort.  We could have had Jason Holt from Fleetwood as well!

Can you guarantee Shankland would be a success in the top division where he has already failed or would he be another Denis Wyness?  Wighton already has experience in the top division and given time could still prove to be a shrewd buy.  Danny Johnston has had a chequered career having been freed by Hartlepool and having played for the mighty Guisborough Town.  Just imagine the hoo-hah on Kickback a signing with that background would have made. To be fair, he has done OK but nothing startling.

Menga is a bit like Uche in that he was a relative unknown but quite frankly, but for injury, I think Uche would have been a much better acquisition - and we can't sign everyone.  With hindsight, Miller has done well enough at Dundee but was it not the case he was toying with management and became Livi's player/manager in June.

Thanks, you asked for options didnt you? I feel dirty thinking about it but Miller didn’t have a club when we knew we were selling KL. All our signings are usually gambles anyway, funny you mention Wyness (used to be shite but now he’s all right) because that’s all Wighton will ever be. Shanklands stats compared to Wighton are far better, who played at the same level on loan.

Come the summer when we’re again looking to strengthen unfortunately Shankland and Greg Stewart will be out of our price range as free agents. Might get Holt back to go with his namesake as our new manager ?

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, Smithee said:

I really don't like this one. Every single club in the world failed to sign Shankland for 200k in the summer, it's hardly a particular failing of ours. 

It is compared to signing Wighton and Clare with the money we were going to use on Milinkovic.

2 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It is compared to signing Wighton and Clare with the money we were going to use on Milinkovic.

Every other club in the world signed players that weren't Shankland too.

On 15/12/2018 at 12:38, frankblack said:

We had a ridiculously small squad last season and repeatedly had to throw in unready 16 and 17 year olds.  The 18 players were a handful of first team then squad players.

And yet this season we have not used our youngsters.

Tony MacDonald.

For me is a player that should be seeing time.

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Every other club in the world signed players that weren't Shankland too.

Yes and they’re not useless chicken hearted ***** like Clare and Wighton are they? The point is CL and his trusted Lieutenants chose Wighton over Shankland, do you think that was the right choice given their records at the time never mind what’s happened this season. The guy has scored more goals already than our top

scorer when we romped the championship, all our strikers were injured then too ???‍♂️????

Pasquale for King
16 minutes ago, jake said:

And yet this season we have not used our youngsters.

Tony MacDonald.

For me is a player that should be seeing time.

Most academy graduates in the league last season (19), probably the world maybe , and the least this season ??‍♂️.

Edited by Pasquale for King

1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

Thanks, you asked for options didnt you? I feel dirty thinking about it but Miller didn’t have a club when we knew we were selling KL. All our signings are usually gambles anyway, funny you mention Wyness (used to be shite but now he’s all right) because that’s all Wighton will ever be. Shanklands stats compared to Wighton are far better, who played at the same level on loan.

Come the summer when we’re again looking to strengthen unfortunately Shankland and Greg Stewart will be out of our price range as free agents. Might get Holt back to go with his namesake as our new manager ?

I think Miller was appointed player/manager of Livi in the close season and Laff was sold during the window.  If reports are right we were very interested in Sow at the time of Laff's sale and hoped to get Vanecek in early at the right price.

Greg Stewart was already on our books.  Would he want to come back?

And let's say we did sign him and Shankland, what guarantees can you give that they won't get injured like Uche and Dunne?

No one can argue with Shankland's goal scoring stats but don't you think it's amazing that no other club signed him either.

Pasquale for King
43 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

I think Miller was appointed player/manager of Livi in the close season and Laff was sold during the window.  If reports are right we were very interested in Sow at the time of Laff's sale and hoped to get Vanecek in early at the right price.

Greg Stewart was already on our books.  Would he want to come back?

And let's say we did sign him and Shankland, what guarantees can you give that they won't get injured like Uche and Dunne?

No one can argue with Shankland's goal scoring stats but don't you think it's amazing that no other club signed him either.

Yes indeed you are right about Miller, it seems to have escaped you that they sacked him on 19th of August and he was available until signing for Dundee on the 29th. 

CL and everyone else knew KL was away as soon as the zombies bid for him, we only kept him to score one last time against Celtic. 

Nobody is injury proof are they? Stewart has played a number of games on the pitch of death and not been injured yet. Maybe he wouldn’t cone back, constdering our current chief scout let him go because he was too wee, he’s 5’10”.

The fact remains that we were light up front and Wighton isn’t the answer, and that other options could’ve been explored as soon as they knew KL was away (CL said it was always the plan). They didn’t know Sow was injured and unfit, Teplice were never going to let Vanacek leave and had stated that many times.

Lets wait and see who buys Shankland in January ,  no one else signed him so he’s crap? I think they’ve been proved wrong somewhat don’t you? Did anyone else want Clare or Wighton, if they did why didn’t they sign them then? I can guarantee you nobody will come for them and they won’t get injured as Uche did because they’re a pair of chicken hearted lazy *****.

You just keep asking ridiculous questions and keep the faith with all the other happy clappers ?.

7 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes indeed you are right about Miller, it seems to have escaped you that they sacked him on 19th of August and he was available until signing for Dundee on the 29th. 

CL and everyone else knew KL was away as soon as the zombies bid for him, we only kept him to score one last time against Celtic. 

Nobody is injury proof are they? Stewart has played a number of games on the pitch of death and not been injured yet. Maybe he wouldn’t cone back, constdering our current chief scout let him go because he was too wee, he’s 5’10”.

The fact remains that we were light up front and Wighton isn’t the answer, and that other options could’ve been explored as soon as they knew KL was away (CL said it was always the plan). They didn’t know Sow was injured and unfit, Teplice were never going to let Vanacek leave and had stated that many times.

Lets wait and see who buys Shankland in January ,  no one else signed him so he’s crap? I think they’ve been proved wrong somewhat don’t you? Did anyone else want Clare or Wighton, if they did why didn’t they sign them then? I can guarantee you nobody will come for them and they won’t get injured as Uche did because they’re a pair of chicken hearted lazy *****.

You just keep asking ridiculous questions and keep the faith with all the other happy clappers ?.

There's so much tripe in there I don't know where to start.

Laff:  Everyone knew he was away. So what is your point?

Stewart: Many players are injury free until their first major injury.  Berra was one but see what happened to him.  The question I asked was would he want to come back?  Remember he is a Birmingham player who is likely to be on a wage above our norm.  Our current chief scout would not let him go - the manager would have done that with coaches' input.

Wighton: Has played many games for Dundee in the top league and was worth taking a chance on like we did with Souttar.  Time will tell.

Sow: Apparently he failed a medical and the extent of his problem would not be confirmed until then.  We had signed him before when he had an injury history and he didn't do too badly, if I may say so.

Vanecek: how do you know, except possibly with hindsight, that Teplice were never going to let him go.  They even went to the extent of agreeing terms with a replacement but it seems they were trying to hold us to ransom over his early departure fee.

Shankland: I didn't say he was crap.  I said no one else had come in for him and that my friend is a FACT, so far at least.

Clare:  if reports are correct bigger clubs than we were after him but I admit on the evidence so far I'm struggling to see why.  It may be a question of still trying to find his feet.

As regards being a happy clapper I am as disappointed with current form as any true Hearts supporter but I won't spend all my time berating the club because my mate got peddled

Pasquale for King
3 hours ago, JamboAl said:

There's so much tripe in there I don't know where to start.

Laff:  Everyone knew he was away. So what is your point?

Stewart: Many players are injury free until their first major injury.  Berra was one but see what happened to him.  The question I asked was would he want to come back?  Remember he is a Birmingham player who is likely to be on a wage above our norm.  Our current chief scout would not let him go - the manager would have done that with coaches' input.

Wighton: Has played many games for Dundee in the top league and was worth taking a chance on like we did with Souttar.  Time will tell.

Sow: Apparently he failed a medical and the extent of his problem would not be confirmed until then.  We had signed him before when he had an injury history and he didn't do too badly, if I may say so.

Vanecek: how do you know, except possibly with hindsight, that Teplice were never going to let him go.  They even went to the extent of agreeing terms with a replacement but it seems they were trying to hold us to ransom over his early departure fee.

Shankland: I didn't say he was crap.  I said no one else had come in for him and that my friend is a FACT, so far at least.

Clare:  if reports are correct bigger clubs than we were after him but I admit on the evidence so far I'm struggling to see why.  It may be a question of still trying to find his feet.

As regards being a happy clapper I am as disappointed with current form as any true Hearts supporter but I won't spend all my time berating the club because my mate got peddled

Laff was away, replacement required.

Stewart was signed as a youngster when Levein was manager, then  released in the summer of 2006 on John Murray’s say so, we didn’t have a manager at the time. He is in loan at Killie so I’ve sure he would’ve been within our means last summer for a years loan. 

Wighton played 82 games for Dundee and has scored the same amount of goals as Miller has in 12 games for Dundee. I can’t remember any 21 year old who looked so average at first come good?

Sow did well and I wanted him back but has always been injured, as he was with us and still hasn’t played since August so what would’ve been the point as you want injury proof players ?

Teplice continually said they wouldn’t release him and signed his replacement im August, that’s how I know ?.

As ive said before I want Hearts to do as well as possible and I will criticise whoever isn’t helping this aim. My mate got peddled? Memory failing you again I’m afraid.

So it’s a fact the nobody came in for Shankland? Just Dundee , Partick and Fylde. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lawrence-shankland-can-fire-premiership-13723089

Oh look Hearts were too ?.

13723089https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2645315/hearts-target-lawrence-shankland-ayr-utd-new-deal/

53 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Laff was away, replacement required.

Stewart was signed as a youngster when Levein was manager, then  released in the summer of 2006 on John Murray’s say so, we didn’t have a manager at the time. He is in loan at Killie so I’ve sure he would’ve been within our means last summer for a years loan. 

Wighton played 82 games for Dundee and has scored the same amount of goals as Miller has in 12 games for Dundee. I can’t remember any 21 year old who looked so average at first come good?

Sow did well and I wanted him back but has always been injured, as he was with us and still hasn’t played since August so what would’ve been the point as you want injury proof players ?

Teplice continually said they wouldn’t release him and signed his replacement im August, that’s how I know ?.

As ive said before I want Hearts to do as well as possible and I will criticise whoever isn’t helping this aim. My mate got peddled? Memory failing you again I’m afraid.

So it’s a fact the nobody came in for Shankland? Just Dundee , Partick and Fylde. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/lawrence-shankland-can-fire-premiership-13723089

Oh look Hearts were too ?.

13723089https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2645315/hearts-target-lawrence-shankland-ayr-utd-new-deal/

- Laff's replacement (Uche) was in before he left.

- Valdas Ivamauskas was the manager when Stewart was freed.

- Wighton is not an out and out striker like Miller and maybe when he's got the experience Miller now has, he might score as many goals in 12 games.  That apart maybe we felt we had enough oldies on the books with Cowie, Hughes Berra Naismith etc, all over 30 years old.

- There would have been no point in having Sow back especially when he failed a medical, allegedly.  There is no such thing as an injury-proof player but that's something you have seemingly failed to grasp.

- Did you expect Teplice to say they would happily release him, the consequence of which would almost certainly be a lower transfer fee?

- If your mate didn't get peddled, his Hearts career came to an abrupt end.

- Shankland-: It is obvious Dundee, Partick and even the mighty Fylde wouldn't come up a 6 figure fee.  Why?  Hearts didn't COME IN FOR HIM.  If you read the article it claims scouts watched him and UNDERSTOOD Hearts were interested.  The Sun understands....Jesus wept!

18 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

- Wighton is not an out and out striker like Miller and maybe when he's got the experience Miller now has, he might score as many goals in 12 games.  That apart maybe we felt we had enough oldies on the books with Cowie, Hughes Berra Naismith etc, all over 30 years old.

- There would have been no point in having Sow back especially when he failed a medical, allegedly.  There is no such thing as an injury-proof player but that's something you have seemingly failed to grasp.

- Did you expect Teplice to say they would happily release him, the consequence of which would almost certainly be a lower transfer fee?

- Shankland-: It is obvious Dundee, Partick and even the mighty Fylde wouldn't come up a 6 figure fee.  Why?  Hearts didn't COME IN FOR HIM.  If you read the article it claims scouts watched him and UNDERSTOOD Hearts were interested.  The Sun understands....Jesus wept!

Think you are getting your Stewart's mixed up. It's Greg he's on about not Michael.

6 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Am I?  In what respect?

Extract from the post you replied to was this.

Stewart was signed as a youngster when Levein was manager, then  released in the summer of 2006

Pasquale for King
30 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Yes so Ivanauskas released him, a puppet manager.

Uche wasn’t Laffs replacement or they wouldn’t have went for Sow.

I get that players aren’t  injury proof it’s you that asked for them ?.

You asked if there was proof Teplice wouldn’t sell, they didn’t so there it is

You said it was a FACT that nobody bid for Shankland, they bid £150,000 that’s 6 figures , £100k less than we paid for a replacement for an out an out striker. Wighton isn’t an out and out striker, what is he then? Has he created a chance from wide left or up front with or without a partner? Hearts scouts watched Shankland, whether the Sun says it means nothing. Six months later and he’s worth a lot more, maybe they should’ve come up with the money.

Im still not sure who you’ve got me mixed up with up but I have one friend who works for the club and he’s doing rather well and hopefully will continue to do so.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Extract from the post you replied to was this.

Stewart was signed as a youngster when Levein was manager, then  released in the summer of 2006

You're right but should you not put that to Pasquale rather than me?  I haven't a clue who originally signed G Stewart - I was more concerned with his release.

4 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

You're right but should you not put that to Pasquale rather than me?  I haven't a clue who originally signed G Stewart - I was more concerned with his release.

I understood which Stewart he was referring to and you obviously didn't that is why I replied to you. Everyone can read all the posts so what's the problem?

Just for the record it would appear that Greg Stewart was released from Hearts due to his lack of height at the time.

12 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I understood which Stewart he was referring to and you obviously didn't that is why I replied to you. Everyone can read all the posts so what's the problem?

Just for the record it would appear that Greg Stewart was released from Hearts due to his lack of height at the time.

I have been consistent in referring to Greg Stewart and I know why he was released.

22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yes so Ivanauskas released him, a puppet manager.

Uche wasn’t Laffs replacement or they wouldn’t have went for Sow.

I get that players aren’t  injury proof it’s you that asked for them ?.

You asked if there was proof Teplice wouldn’t sell, they didn’t so there it is

You said it was a FACT that nobody bid for Shankland, they bid £150,000 that’s 6 figures , £100k less than we paid for a replacement for an out an out striker. Wighton isn’t an out and out striker, what is he then? Has he created a chance from wide left or up front with or without a partner? Hearts scouts watched Shankland, whether the Sun says it means nothing. Six months later and he’s worth a lot more, maybe they should’ve come up with the money.

Im still not sure who you’ve got me mixed up with up but I have one friend who works for the club and he’s doing rather well and hopefully will continue to do so.

So it was not John Murray who released Greg Stewart and we did have a manager at the time.

Uche was signed in anticipation of Lafferty's going but we wanted another striker anyway.

It's good that we now agree re injured players.

I didn't ask for proof re Teplice.  I said they asked for a fee that we didn't agree to and that might explain why he's still there.  Wighton is not an out and out striker in the same way as Mclean isn't.  He's more of a 2nd striker who can also operate in MF if his Dundee career is anything to go on.  Nobody has been prepared to pay  Shankland's asking fee, not just Hearts.  Shankland's value is only what someone is prepared to pay.

I don't think I got you mixed up with anyone.

2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

So it was not John Murray who released Greg Stewart and we did have a manager at the time.

Uche was signed in anticipation of Lafferty's going but we wanted another striker anyway.

I didn't ask for proof re Teplice.  I said they asked for a fee that we didn't agree to and that might explain why he's still there.  Wighton is not an out and out striker in the same way as Mclean isn't.  He's more of a 2nd striker who can also operate in MF if his Dundee career is anything to go on.  Nobody has been prepared to pay  Shankland's asking fee, not just Hearts.  Shankland's value is only what someone is prepared to pay.

Shankland was out of contract in the summer and it was highly assumed we decided to go elsewhere then he signed a new deal with Ayr. 

Pasquale for King
22 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

No it was Murray that released Stewart, no way did that useless puppet Ivanauskas have any control over the release of someone who was 15/16 .

The club wanted another striker, Sow is more like KL than Wighton and a similar type was clearly required given the physicality of someone like Uche. De Vries was injured a lot too and we used a CH instead, I’m sure we would’ve done that more this season if they weren’t injured too(Leveinasauras). 

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No it was Murray that released Stewart, no way did that useless puppet Ivanauskas have any control over the release of someone who was 15/16 .

The club wanted another striker, Sow is more like KL than Wighton and a similar type was clearly required given the physicality of someone like Uche. De Vries was injured a lot too and we used a CH instead, I’m sure we would’ve done that more this season if they weren’t injured too(Leveinasauras). 

OK, the manager didn't release him; it was Murray.  Vlad sat back and allowed these things to happen, didn't he?  I'd be surprised however if Murray didn't have some input as would other coaches who worked with Stewart.

I didn't say Wighton was like KL.  We wanted 2 strikers of whom Uche was one and the other would have been either Sow or Vanecek.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

OK, the manager didn't release him; it was Murray.  Vlad sat back and allowed these things to happen, didn't he?  I'd be surprised however if Murray didn't have some input as would other coaches who worked with Stewart.

I didn't say Wighton was like KL.  We wanted 2 strikers of whom Uche was one and the other would have been either Sow or Vanecek.

Who knows what Vlad and his accomplices were up to, they kept Murray on throughout their time here so I imagine they trusted him .

Yeah he wanted two of that ilk, didn’t get them and we’ve suffered unfortunately and a great chance to challenge Celtic has slipped through our grasp.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Who knows what Vlad and his accomplices were up to, they kept Murray on throughout their time here so I imagine they trusted him .

Yeah he wanted two of that ilk, didn’t get them and we’ve suffered unfortunately and a great chance to challenge Celtic has slipped through our grasp.

You seem to do a lot of that.