Don Dan

2 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The injuries are obviously not helping us but our form since Naismith limped off has been relegation stuff. Are we saying that without our 4 main players we have a squad that is worse than Dundee, Hamilton & St Mirren? 

We’ll find out the second answer to that on Boxing day. But we should be able to cope with those teams. 

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JamboAl

• Pasquale for King

• wavydavy

• Don Dan

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, graygo said:

What would you put our recent form down to, what has changed in the past 2 months?

IMO it’s Bottle. And a lack of. 

40 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

The injuries explain the form, however there is no acceptable explanation for the performance last night.

Correct, a point made by everyone on this forum and indeed Craig Levein himself after the match.

Tynecastlesmychurch
2 hours ago, Dannie Boy said:

Folk are, as usual clambering for heads to roll. Levein out they cry. Budge get rid! 

However when you take a step back and look logically at what’s happened to our team of first choice players Blind Pew can see that we are struggling to cope with an injury list that would cripple most teams. It’s certainly crippled us!

I’m wondering why we have such a long list, bad luck, over training, wrong training? Who knows but when you look at other teams for whatever reason none seem to suffering like we are. 

We are not in a position to have cover for all positions where injury has occurred  especially matching the quality that would make missing say Souttar or Naismith less noticeable. 

Last night our defence crumbled like Long John Silver with wood worm and is it any wonder when we are missing Dunne (brought in as cover) Soapy and now Dikamona and add in Berra just returned from a long term injury and would not be 100% match fit despite his obvious class. 

Smith has done well under the circumstances and Hughes despite his vast experience has seen better days. 

Up front we’ve lost Uthchy for months now who gives our team a whole new dimension and the opposing defenders lots to worry about. Wighton and Clare aren’t ready yet and may never be and leaves us with only one aging forward who is not really a lone striker. 

Going back to why so many injuries? If anyone has an answer I’d and I’m sure the Club would love to hear it. 

I wasn't angry because we lost I was angry at the manner of the defeat. Ive never seen a Hearts side completely and utterly surrender like that. What makes it worse was the opposition. Livi are a tough nut to crack at home. But we made them look like man city. To through in the towel like that genuinely made me embarrassed to be a Hearts fan. I expect a different attitude against Aberdeen, Hamilton and Hibs. Id happily take draws in both away games. But Hamilton at home is a must win. To restore a bit of pride if nothing else. 

Now all that being said I agree injuries have crippled our season and for me any chance at a top two finish. However top three is still very much gettable as well as another strong cup run. And would you Adam and Eve it our first competitive game after the break is at home to Livi. I am expecting a much better outcome than last night! 

3 hours ago, Barack said:

Sure folk are just starting threads that provide a modicum of sense in them, just to see Spencer biting.

All about balance.

He’s having an “unnatural relationship” with the forum. ?

3 hours ago, merrymac said:

Spot on, said that last night. Every time the manager/players speak in the press its all about injuries and the players missing.

Think the team are believing it themselves.

You cant tell me that the players we have signed as squad players are not good enough to take care of the lower half teams.

Attitude is the problem not ability.

You might be right or not but maybe they are simply not good enough? Evidence suggests that . Wonder what Bobby Burns made of the left back area .. 

avhudtheteeshirt
2 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

The injuries are obviously not helping us but our form since Naismith limped off has been relegation stuff. Are we saying that without our 4 main players we have a squad that is worse than Dundee, Hamilton & St Mirren? 

Obviously not as bad, as at the moment we are 17 points ahead of Hamilton and 21 ahead of the other 2?

Once we get our squad back to strength, we should be able to move on from a bad dip in form!!!

The club knew that these half dozen first pick players were all going to be out for months and have utterly failed to formulate a Plan B to cope without them.

It's scandalous.

3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

I have a foot in both camps. There’s been some disappointing performances recently that injuries shouldnt really have impacted on a one-off basis eg Paisley. Injuries though have been a killer. Early season form and season planning was based on a backbone of Berra, Souttar, Naismith and Ikpeazu. Substitute Dunne for Berra in game 2. By the time the winter break comes along those five will have missed nearly 60 games between them due to injury. Add in Harings hernia issue and a keeper who started strongly and has recently become our very own Zibi and there you have it for me. Rest of the players are squad players and have been decent but not game-changers. Wighton and Clare both signed for the future and both recovering from long-term injuries and being played,  through necessity, before they were ready.  Given all that I’m not sure we could have expected much more. In fact its probably an over -achievement to have been top of the league for three months. 

For me it’s now a case of hopefully picking up 5 or 6 points before the break then re-grouping. Still lots to play for this season and if the squad is fully fit by late January a lot to look forward to. 

Baddaboom baddabing.

Nailed it

maroonlegions
4 hours ago, Mr Elwood P said:

You are aware that Hearts, Celtic, Rangers and Hibs have taken a grand total of one point and scored a grand total of one goal at the Tony Macaroni? The folk who say we should be comfortably beating a Livingston side that a team with four times and team with ten times our budget couldn’t don’t seem to have much context to their argument. Why should an injury ravaged Hearts team missing our two best strikers (three if you include the Lafferty position that Vanacek will fill) and missing 3 of our top 4 centre backs be winning? No logic to the argument at all. Complete freak result last night. We hobble into the winter break and come back with a full complement of players next year. 

I dare any Hobo undercover troll to argue against  the pure logic above.

Well done mate, outstanding post, too many pantwetters on here by far..

Come January we will be back to a force  to be reckoned with.  

FTH.

Edited by maroonlegions

22 minutes ago, Cade said:

The club knew that these half dozen first pick players were all going to be out for months and have utterly failed to formulate a Plan B to cope without them.

It's scandalous.

Yeah, because its easy to replace your best two strikers and 3 centre halves when the window is closed.

How many players exactly do you think we should have in our first team to cover for every position and every injury possibility?

4 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Absolutely correct. I find it staggering anyone fails to see this. 

He's signed ****ing garbage that's fallen in Paisley and been humiliated last night 

He's a relict 

And I see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
True colors

EastSideJambo
10 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

And I see your true colors
Shining through
I see your true colors
True colors

Play the poster when things get shite 

Good stuff. I like it  

16 hours ago, maroonlegions said:

I dare any Hobo undercover troll to argue against  the pure logic above.

Well done mate, outstanding post, too many pantwetters on here by far..

Come January we will be back to a force  to be reckoned with.  

FTH.

Thanks mate. Definitely an interesting psychological study to be carried out on this forum. The difference in perspective and logical thinking between posters is staggering. Although the results would be skewed by the trolls and undercover Hibs fans. It will be interesting to see how much quieter this place becomes if Celtic bang in 5 or 6 goals today.

FTH

Edited by Mr Elwood P

16 hours ago, frankblack said:

Yeah, because its easy to replace your best two strikers and 3 centre halves when the window is closed.

How many players exactly do you think we should have in our first team to cover for every position and every injury possibility?

Ridiculous post !

Ridiculous that you have had to actually make it !

22 hours ago, Famous 1874 said:

Can only use the injuries ‘excuse’ in the bigger games when it comes down to player vs player quality. However, we signed 18 players in the summer and should be comfortably beating the likes of Livi and St Mirren, with or without our best players. Not good enough tonight and think we got the feeling that the club is too big for a few of those playing last night. 

We did sign a good few but that was to replace a fair number who were not capable of taking us further, one whose heart was in Govan (KL), another whose heart was allegedly in Govan(JW) and one who decided he could do better elsewhere (JM).

Not all of the signings were meant for immediate 1st team duty if only because we are just allowed to field 11 players at the one time but also because we did not have the money to replace the likes of Don Cowie with Messi or Jamie Walker with Ronaldo.  McLean was always meant as a bench player; someone who could come on and maybe had the guile to change a game when it was needed during a match but certainly not for the succession of games he has had to play.  Dikamona and Dunne may not even have been with us but for the injuries to Berra and Soapy.  Mulraney hardly features in the 1st team but he was a straight swap for Beith who was probably never going to make it while it was thought Mulraney's pace might be a plus factor - it worked in the 1-0 defeat of Celtic. We had to sign a goalie because McLaughlin chose to move to more presumably to further his financial well-being while another was signed to replace the much criticised Jack Hamilton.  Players like Burns and probably even Wighton were signed to be developed with the latter thrown in more quickly than intended.  Clare is taking more time than expected to show his worth but so also did one Paul Hartley.

So I challenge you, or anyone else, to tell us who you would have kept from those who left, bearing in mind Laff, Jamie and McLaughlin wanted to go, who you think we could have acquired within our financial means and which ones of these would have been injury proof.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Edited by JamboAl

Have most injuries not been received playing , which in turn would not suggest anything wrong with training , just a consequence of a contact sport , e.g. Naismith (in game) Berra (in game) Soutar (in game) Uche (in Game albeit v Motherwell) Dunne ( only training injury) Godhino (in game last season)Brandon (in game last season) Cochrane (in reserve game) 

22 hours ago, frankblack said:

We had a ridiculously small squad last season and repeatedly had to throw in unready 16 and 17 year olds.  The 18 players were a handful of first team then squad players.

Now we have a big squad with a lot of crap in it and the young lads seem to have been thrown aside.

Surely the whole point of "squad players" is that they should be able to step in to replace injured or suspended players. It is difficult to have a big squad of equally good players but we should be able to bring some in without the turmoil that seems to happen with us.

My suggestion is that our Coach is signing the wrong type of players for this league or taking too many risks on failed or previously injured players and giving them a chance to shine.

CL has undoubtedly made some inspired signings but he has made a hell of a lot more poor ones and that is showing up now unfortunately.

We can't take away the bad luck we have had with injuries which has been unusually high but it has really exposed just how poor our squad is.

The end result of all this is going to be another clear out with another load coming in yet again. It will be very interesting to see what happens with players such as Smith and Djoum and see if they are offered new deals and if Naismith decides to join us permanently.

If they don't stay then we have a lot of recruitment to do yet again.

Ministry of Football

I hope Naismith manages to inspire this team forward, otherwise a lot on here are going to run out of excuses. It's a lot of pressure to me out on one man. 

Berra didn't manage to hold this team together on Friday, which is really ominous. 

EastSideJambo
1 hour ago, JamboAl said:

We did sign a good few but that was to replace a fair number who were not capable of taking us further, one whose heart was in Govan (KL), another whose heart was allegedly in Govan(JW) and one who decided he could do better elsewhere (JM).

Not all of the signings were meant for immediate 1st team duty if only because we are just allowed to field 11 players at the one time but also because we did not have the money to replace the likes of Don Cowie with Messi or Jamie Walker with Ronaldo.  McLean was always meant as a bench player; someone who could come on and maybe had the guile to change a game when it was needed during a match but certainly not for the succession of games he has had to play.  Dikamona and Dunne may not even have been with us but for the injuries to Berra and Soapy.  Mulraney hardly features in the 1st team but he was a straight swap for Beith who was probably never going to make it while it was thought Mulraney's pace might be a plus factor - it worked in the 1-0 defeat of Celtic. We had to sign a goalie because McLaughlin chose to move to more presumably to further his financial well-being while another was signed to replace the much criticised Jack Hamilton.  Players like Burns and probably even Wighton were signed to be developed with the latter thrown in more quickly than intended.  Clare is taking more time than expected to show his worth but so also did one Paul Hartley.

So I challenge you, or anyone else, to tell us who you would have kept from those who left, bearing in mind Laff, Jamie and McLaughlin wanted to go, who you think we could have acquired within our financial means and which ones of these would have been injury proof.  Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I love you Al. Please never change 

6 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I love you Al. Please never change 

Reading your first sentence I hope you are female or have you already changed?

This is a typical reply from someone bereft of constructive answers.  That never changes and is the username a giveaway, Spencer?  The east side of Edinburgh?

58 minutes ago, andy65 said:

Have most injuries not been received playing , which in turn would not suggest anything wrong with training , just a consequence of a contact sport , e.g. Naismith (in game) Berra (in game) Soutar (in game) Uche (in Game albeit v Motherwell) Dunne ( only training injury) Godhino (in game last season)Brandon (in game last season) Cochrane (in reserve game) 

I have no idea how or why players get injuries during games and if they can be prevented by certain methods of training but it does seems strange given the number of injuries we have had this season is just down to bad luck.

When you look at teams such as Livingston and Kilmarnock who both have plastic pitches and neither of those clubs seem to have had the number of injuries we have. I know they train on grass as we do a fair part of the time but it would be interesting to know what if any differences there are between the training methods of those clubs and ours?

22 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I have no idea how or why players get injuries during games and if they can be prevented by certain methods of training but it does seems strange given the number of injuries we have had this season is just down to bad luck.

When you look at teams such as Livingston and Kilmarnock who both have plastic pitches and neither of those clubs seem to have had the number of injuries we have. I know they train on grass as we do a fair part of the time but it would be interesting to know what if any differences there are between the training methods of those clubs and ours?

I don't think it's injuries as such that is the problem;  every team gets them.  What is unfortunate in our case is that it's been it's been our 4 or 5 most influential players who've been missing and not just for a week or two.  It is inevitable that it would have some negative impact and, but for the astute signings of Clevid and particularly Dunne, the impact would have been felt sooner and deeper.

1 minute ago, JamboAl said:

I don't think it's injuries as such that is the problem;  every team gets them.  What is unfortunate in our case is that it's been it's been our 4 or 5 most influential players who've been missing and not just for a week or two.  It is inevitable that it would have some negative impact and, but for the astute signings of Clevid and particularly Dunne, the impact would have been felt sooner and deeper.

So are you saying we have just been unlucky then compared to the teams I highlighted?

bringonthesevco
On 15/12/2018 at 12:22, Dannie Boy said:

Folk are, as usual clambering for heads to roll. Levein out they cry. Budge get rid! 

However when you take a step back and look logically at what’s happened to our team of first choice players Blind Pew can see that we are struggling to cope with an injury list that would cripple most teams. It’s certainly crippled us!

I’m wondering why we have such a long list, bad luck, over training, wrong training? Who knows but when you look at other teams for whatever reason none seem to suffering like we are. 

We are not in a position to have cover for all positions where injury has occurred  especially matching the quality that would make missing say Souttar or Naismith less noticeable. 

Last night our defence crumbled like Long John Silver with wood worm and is it any wonder when we are missing Dunne (brought in as cover) Soapy and now Dikamona and add in Berra just returned from a long term injury and would not be 100% match fit despite his obvious class. 

Smith has done well under the circumstances and Hughes despite his vast experience has seen better days. 

Up front we’ve lost Uthchy for months now who gives our team a whole new dimension and the opposing defenders lots to worry about. Wighton and Clare aren’t ready yet and may never be and leaves us with only one aging forward who is not really a lone striker. 

Going back to why so many injuries? If anyone has an answer I’d and I’m sure the Club would love to hear it. 

Not a single midfield player injured - we signed 9 (NINE) midfield / wide players in the summer and between them they offer absolutely nothing going forward ...

are they all rubbish because Naismith is injured or do you think there is a chance that they are all just rubbish ??? 

Think the constant changing of formation has not helped.

With our injuries and finally winning against Motherwell I did not see the need to make any dramatic changes.

On 15/12/2018 at 12:22, Dannie Boy said:

Going back to why so many injuries? If anyone has an answer I’d and I’m sure the Club would love to hear 

Could be our main players are injured giving 150% to the cause, they have carried the team in first few months putting their bodies on the line?

No injuries to our so called lesser players who just give up when beaten?

I'm not sure if any other teams in the league have been reduced to playing their 5th choice centre back, alongside another centre back who is just back from a serious injury and lacking match fitness. It doesn't excuse shipping 5 to ****ing Livingston, but it's undoubtedly had an adverse affect.

3 hours ago, Rods said:

Think the constant changing of formation has not helped.

With our injuries and finally winning against Motherwell I did not see the need to make any dramatic changes.

Tinkerman can't help himself.

8 minutes ago, frankblack said:

:cornette::cornette_dog::facepalm::bwcornette:

Have a word with yourself.  Are you 10 years old?

I just did and fully agreed with what I wrote originally.

6 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

I just did and fully agreed with what I wrote originally.

That is truly chronic patter, and straw clutching desperation at its best.

2 minutes ago, frankblack said:

That is truly chronic patter, and straw clutching desperation at its best.

Do you think Craig Levein plays a settled group of players and formation all the time? 

He makes changes just for the sake of it as I said he can't help but tinker.

Have a look at the number of permutation he has used on the wings this season and that is one area where we have not had any injury issues.

What's this about "straw clutching desperation". I am stating my opinion which I am entitled to do just as much as you are.

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

Do you think Craig Levein plays a settled group of players and formation all the time? 

He makes changes just for the sake of it as I said he can't help but tinker.

Have a look at the number of permutation he has used on the wings this season and that is one area where we have not had any injury issues.

Don't you think he has to make changes because the injuries are forcing his hand and those he has put in haven't done a job to merit keeping their place - Morrison, Mulraney, Mitchell, etc on the wing, MacLean up front, Djoum etc.  Then there is the defence..

1 minute ago, wavydavy said:

What's this about "straw clutching desperation". I am stating my opinion which I am entitled to do just as much as you are.

Using the abusive name "Tinkerman" for a Hearts legend is hardly going to get you a positive response.

59 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Don't you think he has to make changes because the injuries are forcing his hand and those he has put in haven't done a job to merit keeping their place - Morrison, Mulraney, Mitchell, etc on the wing, MacLean up front, Djoum etc.  Then there is the defence..

Using the abusive name "Tinkerman" for a Hearts legend is hardly going to get you a positive response.

You did not get my point. We have not had any injuries of any note in the wing areas and yet he is constantly changing with Mulraney, Clare, Morrison, Amankwa etc. We have even had central midfielders playing wide.

I use the word Tinkerman  to express the fact he constantly changes the team when it is often not required just like Claudio Raneiri used to do at Chelsea and he was called the "Tinkerman". Nobody seemed to think that was abusive.

It is your interpretation of my point that suggests abusive that was and has never been my intent.

Captain Sausage
On 15/12/2018 at 13:46, soonbe110 said:

I have a foot in both camps. There’s been some disappointing performances recently that injuries shouldnt really have impacted on a one-off basis eg Paisley. Injuries though have been a killer. Early season form and season planning was based on a backbone of Berra, Souttar, Naismith and Ikpeazu. Substitute Dunne for Berra in game 2. By the time the winter break comes along those five will have missed nearly 60 games between them due to injury. Add in Harings hernia issue and a keeper who started strongly and has recently become our very own Zibi and there you have it for me. Rest of the players are squad players and have been decent but not game-changers. Wighton and Clare both signed for the future and both recovering from long-term injuries and being played,  through necessity, before they were ready.  Given all that I’m not sure we could have expected much more. In fact its probably an over -achievement to have been top of the league for three months. 

For me it’s now a case of hopefully picking up 5 or 6 points before the break then re-grouping. Still lots to play for this season and if the squad is fully fit by late January a lot to look forward to. 

Sensible alert. Sensible alert ? 

200w.gif?cid=19f5b51a5c169d2d49395a54773

8 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You did not get my point. We have not had any injuries of any note in the wing areas and yet he is constantly changing with Mulraney, Clare, Morrison, Amankwa etc. We have even had central midfielders playing wide.

I use the word Tinkerman  to express the fact he constantly changes the team when it is often not required just like Claudio Raneiri used to do at Chelsea and he was called the "Tinkerman". Nobody seemed to think that was abusive.

It is your interpretation of my point that suggests abusive that was and has never been my intent.

I tried to explain that we have used about 3 or 4 players in wide positions because none have shown what is required to hold down a place.  If you call it tinkering, I just call it disappointing that none of these players have shown the desire or quality to hold down the wide positions.

You may call that tinkering, but I'm just disappointed that none of those wide players are good enough and we need to ship them out to get hopefully something better in.

Pasquale for King
On 15/12/2018 at 12:38, frankblack said:

We had a ridiculously small squad last season and repeatedly had to throw in unready 16 and 17 year olds.  The 18 players were a handful of first team then squad players.

That’s just untrue. We had a squad with 22 players over 23yo, and Sammon and used 42 players in all competitions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017–18_Heart_of_Midlothian_F.C._season

On 15/12/2018 at 13:57, FERRY HEARTS said:

Players are prone to injury in a high contact sport. All other clubs will have these problems and have to rotate staff 

Unfortunately to many of our supporters are relying and hoping for a quick fix when our injured party return which IMO won’t happen ( hope I’m wrong )

The other teams in the league have now sussed onto our predictable play 

A very important point. Thousands of posts on here since Murrayfield which assume that once the injured players, in particular Naismith, return everything will immediately be hunky-dory. But Naismith may take a good few games before he is effective again. Then again, he may hobble off in his first game back and be out for the rest of the season. Who knows? 

I’m more concerned with the utter hopelessness of the stuff that is being served up at the moment and the lack of a Plan B. Will we continue to see high balls shelled at SM at Pittodrie?

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, frankblack said:

I tried to explain that we have used about 3 or 4 players in wide positions because none have shown what is required to hold down a place.  If you call it tinkering, I just call it disappointing that none of these players have shown the desire or quality to hold down the wide positions.

You may call that tinkering, but I'm just disappointed that none of those wide players are good enough and we need to ship them out to get hopefully something better in.

Do you trust the same folk who have signed 102 players in 4.5 years to find good ones. They still haven’t solved the LB position even when they pick them from Man City/Utd.

Pasquale for King
6 minutes ago, frankblack said:

You are including a number of reserve players in your counting and including loaned out or sold players.

No I’m not, all of those 22 experienced players played games for us. We used 42 players last season and of them only McLaughlin and Berra didn’t miss a game due to injury.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Do you trust the same folk who have signed 102 players in 4.5 years to find good ones. They still haven’t solved the LB position even when they pick them from Man City/Utd.

It isn't the same folk - you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.  The whole scouting system has been rebuilt.

As for the left back, we do have Bobby Burns on loan who might be worth bringing back.

4 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

No I’m not, all of those 22 experienced players played games for us. We used 42 players last season and of them only McLaughlin and Berra didn’t miss a game due to injury.

Ok - I must be imagining seeing 16 and 17 year olds playing most weeks.  Glad you corrected me.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, frankblack said:

It isn't the same folk - you haven't got a clue what you are talking about.  The whole scouting system has been rebuilt.

As for the left back, we do have Bobby Burns on loan who might be worth bringing back.

Ok - I must be imagining seeing 16 and 17 year olds playing most weeks.  Glad you corrected me.

Can you read or count? We had 22 experienced players, we used 42 all together. That means 20 under 23 yo players, playing because of an injury list that affected 40 players of all ages.

How has it been overhauled? They use more up to date scouting practices no doubt, but who picks the players for his team as manager/DoF and John Murray is still head scout.

Burns is slow and tiny and was roasted and subbed against Aberdeen for Livi last Tuesday  ,he won’t make it at LB and will struggle elsewhere due to those two glaring physical faults I’m afraid.

Edited by Pasquale for King

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

There is not a team in this leagie who could cope with losing all their centre backs and all their forwards at the same time

All? Do we not have two strikers and two CHs at this time?

Pasquale for King
10 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Instead of buying Wighton we could’ve had Shankland for £200k. We were willing to spend double that on Milinkovic. We could’ve had Greg Stewart on loan who has played most games on an awful home pitch. Hate myself for saying this and I know I will get abuse for it but a an old guy called Miller is still leading the line and has scored more goals for a poor team than any of our players bar Naismith.Danny Johnson has done well at Motherwell. Dolly Menga isn’t a prolific goal scorer but is a handful, a bit like Uche and we could’ve got someone on loan thatvsurely would be better than we’ve had. Levein himself says he signed 18 players because of injuries and suspensions. Hindsight is wonderful, so is 35 years experience in the game that should give our manager all the knowledge required to see what might happen and strengthen accordingly.