Leveins poor signing policy

williamgerrard

rudi must stay

Same daft policy as before. 3 year deals for guys and a bit of security at a big club, just means they can feel settled, which is never a good thing. Look at Dikamona, 1 year deal and he's trying his damnedest to earn a new one, same goes for Djoum when he arrived. He had a 6 month deal and had to earn himself a new deal. That's clearly the way to do it now for Hearts

Certainly does seem a rather scatter-gun approach. Haring and Uche obviously the key successes in terms of not so well known players and Naismith and Dunne have been brilliant. However the jury is out on the rest of them, although I feel slightly sorry for Clare and Wighton who are not quite ready to be involved after a long period out injured but are playing due to lack of personnel . The method and turnover really is not sustainable so our scouting and recruitment policy needs analysed and rectified, immediately.

EastSideJambo

There have been some decent signings but some horrible shite has arrived at the club under his watch.  Asking AB to sign off guys like Oshinawa, Martin and Sammon can't be forgotten. Guys like Amankwaa are clearly surplus and a waste of a wage. Mulraney has been a curious punt and offered little 

Guys like Berra and Naismith have papered over the cracks elsewhere. They are hardly difficult deals to get right. Both are quality that everyone can see. One is being subsidised heavily too 

There were good decisions made in summer of 2013. I agreed with the Locke removal and making guys like Stevenson surplus. Gomis to this day remains the most crucial pound for pound recruit since Administration imo. Prince did a great job also. The 4 seasons back in SPL have been very mixed. As the competition has got tougher we've been found wanting to a large extent 

2 hours ago, williamgerrard said:

Guys like wighton,mulraney ,edwards aint  hearts class ,Hughes shouldnt have been offererd a new deal 

With due respect how many of the Livi squad would you have classed as being " Hearts class" prior to the start of the season? I think that what we are actually seeing is players who have an alleged  quality signed to Hearts then after they are signed they think that the have arrived and all the have to do is turn out. This is where the management should step in to get the best out of the players. In short  I don't think our management team actually know how to get the best out of the players we have available, they quite simply are not working hard enough at their collective game. I am becoming tired of hearing about our injuries... not because we do not have problems in that respect. No it is more because players who should be absolutely champing at the bit to get into the team and do well are just not doing that. They are picked to play and go out for a stroll. However I sadly come to the conclusion the problem really lies at management level they really do not know how to get the best from their players.

EastSideJambo

That Livvy back 3 us Pitman will get picked up by clubs. More than likely not by us though 

Pitman has good energy from midfield and gets ahead of the ball and arrives late in the box. Clearly attributes that we wouldn't entertain 

Plenty of folks on here wet their pants laughing at the critics of CLs appointment. 

Well, here we are.  It's his signings, his team, his tactics & it's feckin dire. 

The club has not moved on.

Thanks Craig. 

Shouldn’t be given another penny of the clubs money to waste on his dreadful team building. Pay him off and send him into retirement. 

Is it coincidence that our recent slump in form has occurred when Naismith, Ichpeazu, Souttar and Dunne have all been injured? Probably not, but I guess it highlights the lack of depth in the squad then? But do you expect three centre halfs and two strikers to get crocked at the same time? 

After being on a roll for so long, the confidence has gone, it would seem, and we need players to step up, management to inspire them. 

Not really sure what my point is here, but when I read stuff like "Hearts class" etc you would think that in the last few decades we were awash with "class". We simply weren't. Our trophy haul and league standings tell us this. 

And even if you did change manager, nothing would really change overnight, or even the season after. 

Sign players who can play in this league

Sign players who will fight for a football

Play to a system that suits the players you have available. Do not punt the ball, in the air to a lone striker who will not win it.

I don't blame Craig Levein for that 2nd half performance last night but he has to get more out of those players because that lack of application and lack of desire is just not good enough. Yes we have injuries and refereeing decisions have hurt us but a managers job is to get the best out of his staff. We need to see more from them. We can't just wait for injured players to come back

Too many average joe players not good enough to wear the jersey. Would clear out at least half the current squad at the end of season. CL must shoulder blame for current quality of signings. Last night was a shocker,  I new it would be a tough ask but not to be embarrassed like that. 

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Poor signing policy that had us top of the league until injuries to key players 

Come on mate.  You are defending at every turn across various threads. 

Since those injuries, what solid players have we been able to turn to?

Over the years Hearts could turn to the bench and see one or two wily older heads who could come on and keep us ticking over. 

Now it’s ‘project’ signings...guys who simply aren’t good enough.  

To me the fitness and desire has gone. Another proper pre season routine is required.

Batter them at Gullane and allowing the right recovery between sessions we can still turn this round.

its about winning the battle first and foremost in this league so we need legs & heart.

Not things that I’m seeing from the stand ins at the moment.

we have gone from big strong Hearts  to feeble, weak and hiding Hearts.

believing their own press and and switching off the fight button.

Oh and far too much tinkering with the team & formation, we’re not good enough or clever enough for that.

Commit to best 13 or so players play same 11 every week , the same system and go and battle, it’s sometimes not pretty but it’s good enough in this league.

sidjamesbottle
9 hours ago, williamgerrard said:

Guys like wighton,mulraney ,edwards aint  hearts class ,Hughes shouldnt have been offererd a new deal 

Its his blind spot for Mitchell that annoys me he contributes nothing

Selkirkhmfc1874
25 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Come on mate.  You are defending at every turn across various threads. 

Since those injuries, what solid players have we been able to turn to?

Over the years Hearts could turn to the bench and see one or two wily older heads who could come on and keep us ticking over. 

Now it’s ‘project’ signings...guys who simply aren’t good enough.  

The injuries definitely affected us badly , berra , souttar , naismith and ikpeazu 4 certain first team starters add to that haring playing with a hernia

Selkirkhmfc1874
Just now, sidjamesbottle said:

Its his blind spot for Mitchell that annoys me he contributes nothing

Mitchell not anywhere near the player we saw last season 

2 hours ago, Boris said:

Is it coincidence that our recent slump in form has occurred when Naismith, Ichpeazu, Souttar and Dunne have all been injured? Probably not, but I guess it highlights the lack of depth in the squad then? But do you expect three centre halfs and two strikers to get crocked at the same time? 

When we talk about two strikers being injured, it’s worth remembering Naismith hadn’t really been deployed as a striker until injuries and the sale of Lafferty meant he had to be pushed further forward. Not replacing Lafferty has proved very costly...or at least, not replacing him with sufficient enough quality. We effectively signed Wighton as a replacement, but thus far, he’s proved about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

2 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

Mitchell not anywhere near the player we saw last season 

Correct. Chopping and change whether he starts or where he plays each week won’t be helping, though. 

letsalldothebeattie

Overall I’d say the signing policy worked in the summer. We brought in some real quality and we saw that work for a spell. Sadly when you take out the talent (Berra, Souttar, Naismith & Ikpeazu) we are left with guys who are good players but without the big stars in the team can’t perform to a level required for our club. I’m hopeful once Naisy and co are back thing will turn around. 

10 hours ago, williamgerrard said:

Hughes shouldn't be anywhere near the first team. He's slower than a wet Sunday afternoon in September.

1 hour ago, Peebo said:

When we talk about two strikers being injured, it’s worth remembering Naismith hadn’t really been deployed as a striker until injuries and the sale of Lafferty meant he had to be pushed further forward. Not replacing Lafferty has proved very costly...or at least, not replacing him with sufficient enough quality. We effectively signed Wighton as a replacement, but thus far, he’s proved about as useful as a chocolate teapot. 

I'd agree with you there. A gamble that unfortunately hasn't come off (more squad strength rather than Wighton per se and in respect of injuries) 

I’m wondering how many years Levein will take to source a good left back, a decent winger, and some bloody pace for the team. Signs aren’t promising.

4 hours ago, Boris said:

After being on a roll for so long, the confidence has gone, it would seem, and we need players to step up, management to inspire them. 

Not really sure what my point is here, but when I read stuff like "Hearts class" etc you would think that in the last few decades we were awash with "class". We simply weren't. Our trophy haul and league standings tell us this. 

And even if you did change manager, nothing would really change overnight, or even the season after. 

Indeed.

The bell-ends are out in force.

I’ll judge this season in May, not December. 

3 hours ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

The injuries definitely affected us badly , berra , souttar , naismith and ikpeazu 4 certain first team starters add to that haring playing with a hernia

The team more than coped with these two missing.  Naismith is a huge loss for his creativity and leadership but the quality of the team just isn't good enough. No strikers until Uche comes back , no creativity in CM and slow, slow play . 

1 hour ago, Pants Shaton said:

Indeed.

The bell-ends are out in force.

I’ll judge this season in May, not December. 

We are only a few weeks away from having far better striking options.

Say we sack Levein now and bring in someone else and he gets the benefit of a full squad plus Vanachek and starts winning games,  was it because they were a better manager or had Levein's squad fit and available?