wifi boosters

muldoon74

We live in a four in a block, upstairs away from internet hub so everything is on the house is on wifi.  

Looking for a decent wifi booster so any recommendations please kickback.. 

I realise price is a factor in many issue of performance however if theres a decent option at under £30 thatd be awesome... 

You might want to consider EOP, ethernet over power. Basically, it uses the mains power wiring in your house to send the internet connection down.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

So you'd get a pair of these (look for the ones that say wifi) then plug one in to the mains where your WiFi signal is strong and plug the other in where you need the boost and it'll broadcast WiFi there. Very clever stuff!

6 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You might want to consider EOP, ethernet over power. Basically, it uses the mains power wiring in your house to send the internet connection down.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/321_3076_30123_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

So you'd get a pair of these (look for the ones that say wifi) then plug one in to the mains where your WiFi signal is strong and plug the other in where you need the boost and it'll broadcast WiFi there. Very clever stuff!

Looking at this now,.. that's some clever shit.. 

13 minutes ago, muldoon74 said:

Looking at this now,.. that's some clever shit.. 

I worked in tech support for a company that did videophones over internet connections, this is what we recommended for reliable good quality connections

I use a WiFi powerline adaptor in my boys bedroom as it's just enough distance away to drop in and out from the router and it works great. 

I'm slightly confused about your internet though, do you have communal WiFi? To make a powerline adaptor work you would need to plug the main one in next to the router and connect it via ethernet.

14 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

I use a WiFi powerline adaptor in my boys bedroom as it's just enough distance away to drop in and out from the router and it works great. 

I'm slightly confused about your internet though, do you have communal WiFi? To make a powerline adaptor work you would need to plug the main one in next to the router and connect it via ethernet.

We are in a four in a block, top left. 

Hub is downstairs directly out of the main BT socket (we are with sky but they piggyback BT for main connections I believe.)..

PC is up stairs and connecting through secondary BT port from wall caused loads of bother.. 

WiFi is not communal.

Ethernet cable would need to come up about 40ft of stairs and hallways and still be reasonably hideable. 

29 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Sounds like this would be perfect for you then

load of info from this thread so gonna consider it all..

cheers jkb.. more than just a football forum.. ;) 

1 hour ago, muldoon74 said:

We are in a four in a block, top left. 

Hub is downstairs directly out of the main BT socket (we are with sky but they piggyback BT for main connections I believe.)..

PC is up stairs and connecting through secondary BT port from wall caused loads of bother.. 

WiFi is not communal.

Ethernet cable would need to come up about 40ft of stairs and hallways and still be reasonably hideable. 

Ah of course, apologies. My brain is a little fried due to late shifts and the wee baw bag in my life having chicken pox. 

Sounds like a powerline adaptor would suit you down to the ground. As long as your electrics are on the same circuit it would work from any socket.

A well positioned booster would work but it would send out a weakened signal.

I use these and they are excellent.

https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/powerline/PLP1000.aspx

My hub is upstairs (where the BT phone connection comes in) but my TV and sky box are down stairs. Plugged 1 in next to the BT smart hub, the other next to the sky box and you are "hard" wired using the electric cables in the house as described above. 

It's cheap, very clever and has never let me down.

Hud the bus!

So for the hard of thinking...

You buy a pair of these wifi things fi Curry's 

Plug one into a standard socket next to the wifi router

The next one goes wherever you want it in your gaff and all you need to do is plug it into a standard socket and it receives wifi signals up your electricity cables buried inside your walls up to the mail electrical service unit and then out to the rest of the houses electrical sockets from the first one you plugged in next to the router?

Is that it?

Slightly off subject here. A friend has a VPN for added security which I believe is attached to his router. Is it a good idea.....?necessary.......?.....etc......!

22 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Hud the bus!

So for the hard of thinking...

You buy a pair of these wifi things fi Curry's 

Plug one into a standard socket next to the wifi router

The next one goes wherever you want it in your gaff and all you need to do is plug it into a standard socket and it receives wifi signals up your electricity cables buried inside your walls up to the mail electrical service unit and then out to the rest of the houses electrical sockets from the first one you plugged in next to the router?

Is that it?

Plug one into a standard socket next to the wifi router ... and that connects to the router via an Ethernet cable ?

Had them for years, excellent wee things and can add extra ones when and where needed

Just now, RobboM said:

Plug one into a standard socket next to the wifi router ... and that connects to the router via an Ethernet cable ?

Had them for years, excellent wee things and can add extra ones when and where needed

Thats just brilliant.

I have proper brick internal walls (not stud) and theres a good few wifi cold spots. This is just what I need.

JKB...Every day is a school day!

I've got an awful connection in my bedrooms ,  can I run a router from another router ?  I've ran a wire from the livingroom to the bedroom for the xbox but would like more ports so was think about another router.

Governor Tarkin

I got one of these the other week to improve the wifi signal at the foot of the garden.

I was having trouble with the smart switches in the garden room but everything is spot on now.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Universal-Extender-Broadband-Ethernet-TL-WA850RE/dp/B00AHXXJVW/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1544795414&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=tp+link+wifi+booster&psc=1

Powerline adapters are great. WiFi boosters are fine for phones and stuff but if you want ethernet into pc/consoles/tvs in other rooms powerline adapters are the way to go. I use tp-link ones off Amazon for about £20. 

5 hours ago, Section Q said:

Slightly off subject here. A friend has a VPN for added security which I believe is attached to his router. Is it a good idea.....?necessary.......?.....etc......!

Protects your identity, as in it makes your IP address untraceable. I've a friend that works in cyber security (he's basically a hacker) and he always uses a VPN. He's mega paranoid with phones and computers because of his knowledge and won't be without it. 

I can't be arsed with them. Some gambling sites won't let me log in with a VPN.

5 hours ago, IronJambo said:

Protects your identity, as in it makes your IP address untraceable. I've a friend that works in cyber security (he's basically a hacker) and he always uses a VPN. He's mega paranoid with phones and computers because of his knowledge and won't be without it. 

I can't be arsed with them. Some gambling sites won't let me log in with a VPN.

Thanks for that......!

21 minutes ago, Section Q said:

Thanks for that......!

It could also help you access sites that you might not be able to from your location. Eg. If you were in Spain you could use a British IP to gain access to BBC iPlayer.

I live in a 1930’s built house with solid brick walls,conduit piping lots of Wi-fi dead spots, also the upstairs and downstairs sockets are 2 different circuits and a total Wi-fi nightmare especially for my sons Xbox which is upstairs diagonally opposite the router which is downstairs. The only equipment I found that could bridge the upstairs/ downstairs socket circuits was Devolo a German company. This solved my many issues and haven’t looked back since,