Top ten most dominant sports people

AlimOzturk

33 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

Your point on Stevenson and Papp is spot on. They both with time and no politics would have have probably dominated the sport.

Only their governments got the better of them. Hungary actually withdrew Papps passport to prevent him fighting for the world title when he was approaching 40.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• 132goals1958

• Cruyff Turn

• Samuel Camazzola

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, Judge Fudge said:

Lennox Lewis (Olympic and Heavyweight world champ and beat every man he faced as a pro)

Valentino  Rossi

Vasyl Lomachenko ( 2 time Olympic champ and three weight professional champion. Combined amateur and professional record 408-2)

Chris Hoy

Jim Brown

Daley Thompson

Michael Johnson

Lennox would destroy all the diddys around these days.

8 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Isn’t there? I really don’t pay it that much attention anymore. I used to love snooker, played/watched it religiously growing up and still like a game but I probably couldn’t name anymore than probably 3 or 4 players now. Has the money gone from the game or something? It seems to have fallen quite a bit. 

Top line says it all really. Far too many tournaments, more money for the players, but now the shite can reach the top 16. Ronnie O'Sullivan is number one( Mark Selby is officially number 1), but the likes of him and Higgins travelling the world to accumulate ranking points to make the triple crown events are ridiculous. Keep Barry Hearn away from Scottish football. Even darts is getting on my nip ends. If I hear anymore 'boring table's or stand up if you love the darts' . Feck off.

A lot of smaller tournaments are now ranking events, I get the feeling BH wants Hendry's records broken because he beat his best pal SD records, and fecked of when BH changed everything. Not pleased .

Edited by ri Alban

Samuel Camazzola
On 17/12/2018 at 07:29, ri Alban said:

Dodged Karl Crochet, honestly don't know why. He'd have done him right in. A prime Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, James Toney, Jones Jnr and Michael Watson would have battered Joe.

Nonsense 

On 17/12/2018 at 07:33, stevie1874 said:

Couldn’t remember who it was but Froch in my opinion would also have beaten Calzaghe. Was their not an American fighter he dodged before an early exit?

More nonsense 

On 17/12/2018 at 08:06, ri Alban said:

Glen Johnson and Kelly Pavlik come to mind.

He beat Glen Johnson. 

Calzaghe was another level from anyone in his weight class. It was a shame he didn't get the pay days he deserved. The 50/50 split with Roy Jones was criminal even if it gave him his biggest purse. 

Samuel Camazzola
13 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Lennox Lewis (Olympic and Heavyweight world champ and beat every man he faced as a pro)

Valentino  Rossi

Vasyl Lomachenko ( 2 time Olympic champ and three weight professional champion. Combined amateur and professional record 408-2)

Chris Hoy

Jim Brown

Daley Thompson

Michael Johnson

Lewis got a fortunate decision against Klitschko. Was behind and a doctor's decision to halt the fight was made due to a cut. Many thought it was the wrong call. 

12 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Nonsense 

More nonsense 

He beat Glen Johnson. 

Calzaghe was another level from anyone in his weight class. It was a shame he didn't get the pay days he deserved. The 50/50 split with Roy Jones was criminal even if it gave him his biggest purse. 

Everybody has there own opinions on boxers, mine is Calzaghe although good was overrated.

He beat Glen Johnson (don’t think so) another he dodged to protect his record.

1 hour ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Lewis got a fortunate decision against Klitschko. Was behind and a doctor's decision to halt the fight was made due to a cut. Many thought it was the wrong call. 

He was slightly fortunate that night,but the cut was caused by a punch.

2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Nonsense 

More nonsense 

He beat Glen Johnson. 

An over the hill RJJ put Joe on his arse in the first round. A young Jones would have put Joe in a  serious world of pain. Joe was lucky to beat Kessler,  and Hopkins and Jones was too old. He's lucky he didn't face Andre Ward, as he would have taken Joe to the cleaners. Anyway, I like Joe, but he's a volume fighter, a slapper, he'd have been tremendous if he could actually hit someone with any sort of power.

Edited by ri Alban

16 hours ago, Judge Fudge said:

Valentino  Rossi

Chris Hoy

Jim Brown

Daley Thompson

Michael Johnson

Chavez and Sugar ray Robinson had mighty impressive records. Robinson is the greatest boxer to ever live.

15 hours ago, 132goals1958 said:

Only their governments got the better of them. Hungary actually withdrew Papps passport to prevent him fighting for the world title when he was approaching 40.

Felix Savon Fabre. Class!

17 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

Isn’t there? I really don’t pay it that much attention anymore. I used to love snooker, played/watched it religiously growing up and still like a game but I probably couldn’t name anymore than probably 3 or 4 players now. Has the money gone from the game or something? It seems to have fallen quite a bit. 

I like what Stephen said. He was the Beatles (Great for 10 years) and Ronnie was the Rolling stones. More longevity and better with age.

17 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Felix Savon Fabre. Class!

Absolutely ------ carried on the Heavyweight Cuban tradition. Some great pro wins following his amazing amateur career. Pity he never got the fight against Tyson.  

jack D and coke
20 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

I like what Stephen said. He was the Beatles (Great for 10 years) and Ronnie was the Rolling stones. More longevity and better with age.

Can’t disagree with that.

I think both at their peak Hendry had the more complete game. He was maybe the first real attacking snooker player and if let in you could almost be guaranteed to stay in your seat, frame over, but had the safety game when he needed it which Ronnie doesn’t I don’t think. 

52 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Chavez and Sugar ray Robinson had mighty impressive records. Robinson is the greatest boxer to ever live.

Totally agree, Robinson would have been great in any era.

44 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Can’t disagree with that.

I think both at their peak Hendry had the more complete game. He was maybe the first real attacking snooker player and if let in you could almost be guaranteed to stay in your seat, frame over, but had the safety game when he needed it which Ronnie doesn’t I don’t think. 

Ronnie still says Stephen Hendry is the greatest ever. 

9 minutes ago, Judge Fudge said:

Totally agree, Robinson would have been great in any era.

My dad always reckoned he was the best pound for pound fighter in his day. Those were the halcyon times when there were only eight weight divisions and one world champion for each. All the title holders were household names. Even British title fights over 15 rounds were special occasions. The radio commentaries ( sometimes Eamon Andrews or Raymond Glendenning ) were compelling listening . The boxers entered the ring to the same fanfare. I seem to recall W Barrington  Dalby was  a referee who officiated then. Although it is easy to over romanticise  on the good old days I think boxing has regressed with multi champions and fighters avoiding each other.in the modern times. Definitely one sport when you would love to switch the clock back.

58 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

My dad always reckoned he was the best pound for pound fighter in his day. Those were the halcyon times when there were only eight weight divisions and one world champion for each. All the title holders were household names. Even British title fights over 15 rounds were special occasions. The radio commentaries ( sometimes Eamon Andrews or Raymond Glendenning ) were compelling listening . The boxers entered the ring to the same fanfare. I seem to recall W Barrington  Dalby was  a referee who officiated then. Although it is easy to over romanticise  on the good old days I think boxing has regressed with multi champions and fighters avoiding each other.in the modern times. Definitely one sport when you would love to switch the clock back.

Your auld boy was the greatest pound for pound fighter in his day.  I salute you, sir.

?

10 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Your auld boy was the greatest pound for pound fighter in his day.  I salute you, sir.

Thank you  --He left us over 30 years ago and I still think about him. A truly inspirational man.

?

Just now, ri Alban said:

It's 22 years for us. Still difficult at this time of year.  My only God.

Only 4 years since My Mum passed away aged 101. She lived on her own, looked after herself. Five weeks before she passed on we were doing the shopping , she would do the supermarket and I would go to the baker for her coffee buns and then I would meet her at the car. Lucky to have her all that time but still miss her terribly.

4 minutes ago, 132goals1958 said:

Only 4 years since My Mum passed away aged 101. She lived on her own, looked after herself. Five weeks before she passed on we were doing the shopping , she would do the supermarket and I would go to the baker for her coffee buns and then I would meet her at the car. Lucky to have her all that time but still miss her terribly.

101, that's a mighty innings. My wee maw passed 2 years ago. She'll be moaning at my Da for smoking all her fags. :D

Samuel Camazzola
7 hours ago, stevie1874 said:

Everybody has there own opinions on boxers, mine is Calzaghe although good was overrated.

He beat Glen Johnson (don’t think so) another he dodged to protect his record.

Apologies. I had Lacy in mind as another of his wins. In no way did he dodge Johnson though. 

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

An over the hill RJJ put Joe on his arse in the first round. A young Jones would have put Joe in a  serious world of pain. Joe was lucky to beat Kessler,  and Hopkins and Jones was too old. He's lucky he didn't face Andre Ward, as he would have taken Joe to the cleaners. Anyway, I like Joe, but he's a volume fighter, a slapper, he'd have been tremendous if he could actually hit someone with any sort of power.

It wasn't exactly a big knockdown from Jones. Calzaghe went on to win about ever round after that at showboated his way through the fight. 

He had a hard fight with Kessler but was never lucky. He took a couple of shots but was fairly dominant. 

He won the Hopkins fight by quite a distance but one judge was watching something else going by his scorecard. 

jack D and coke
4 hours ago, ri Alban said:

His fight with Jeff Lacey was quality. Calzaghe was a good fighter but you’re right about his power. Super fast hands and good skills. 

Always hard to say how other fights would’ve went but he’d have possibly met his match with a peak Andre Ward. Who knows though eh. 

40 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

It wasn't exactly a big knockdown from Jones. Calzaghe went on to win about ever round after that at showboated his way through the fight. 

He had a hard fight with Kessler but was never lucky. He took a couple of shots but was fairly dominant. 

He won the Hopkins fight by quite a distance but one judge was watching something else going by his scorecard. 

Jones injured himself. That's why he dominated, if it was a vintage Jones, Calzaghe wouldn't have went near him. As for Hopkins, I think it might be you who watching something else.

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Unfortunately he fought most of his career with hand problems, 32 knockouts in 46 for a man who was world champion for ten years ain't bad though. Take away the glass hands and he would have had some knockout percentage.

On 13/12/2018 at 21:40, Cade said:

Jahangir Khan went unbeaten in Squash between 1981 and 1986, winning 555 [five hundred and fifty-five] matches in a row.

6 World Open wins (out of 9 finals) and 10 British Open wins (out of 11 finals) to his name.

Nicol David went 9 years as world number 1 and jansher khan went 12 years as world number 1. Jahangir's run of matches was ridiculous.  Peter nicol also ruled the world after jansher

10 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Fortunate :lol:? The left side of Klitschko's face was falling apart, no one in their right minds could think it was the wrong call. This was a fat 38 year old Lewis as well. 

1. Sir Don Bradman

2. Usain Bolt

3. Michael Jordan

4. Michael Johnson

5. Haile Gebrselassie

6. Tiger Woods

7. Rod Laver

8. Serena Williams

9. Sugar Ray Robinson

10. Juan Manuel Fangio

Honourable mentions: Julio Cesar Chavez, Miguel Indurain, Stephen Hendry, Sir Steve Redgrave, Michael Schumacher, Jack Nicklaus, Diego Maradona, Pete Sampras, Sachin Tendulkar, Wayne Gretsky.

Edited by shaun.lawson

15 hours ago, ri Alban said:

I like this too. Hendry's still the Greatest for me, and will remain so unless Ronnie wins two more world titles, which I really can't see happening. But whereas a decade ago, it was Hendry first, daylight second as far as the GOAT was concerned, it's close now. O'Sullivan's incredible longevity and transcendence of his sport has seen to that.

8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

7. Rod Laver

Fascinating considering you had a lengthy conversation with me previously, denying his place. Whats changed?

8 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

I like this too. Hendry's still the Greatest for me, and will remain so unless Ronnie wins two more world titles, which I really can't see happening. But whereas a decade ago, it was Hendry first, daylight second as far as the GOAT was concerned, it's close now. O'Sullivan's incredible longevity and transcendence of his sport has seen to that.

See my previous sentence.

Edited by Chester™

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to Top ten most dominant sports people

Chrissie Wellington, in the Ironman. Never beaten in an ironman and so good she finished 8th in a top level mens race in Europe. She didn't just beat many long standing records, she annihilated them. Her book A Life Without Limits is a superb read.

scott herbertson

Garry Kasparov

Good five a side footballer as well as Russian Presidential candidate (as if being world's brainiest person wasn't enough)

10 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Beckham

I'm terms of celebrity status, sure. As a player though, I don't think I'd have him as one of the top 10 of all time. Purely my opinion though 

On 20/12/2018 at 09:42, Chester™ said:

Fascinating considering you had a lengthy conversation with me previously, denying his place. Whats changed?

See my previous sentence.

Because our conversation was about the greatest tennis player, not the most dominant. I know it sounds weird for me to say they're sometimes two different things - but they are. Was Ali the most dominant boxer ever? Nowhere near it. Was he the Greatest? You bet. Not only that, but Ali is The Greatest Sportsman Of All Time - despite not even having been the most dominant exponent of his sport.

We had the Hendry/O'Sullivan discussion many years ago now. At the time, Ronnie had only won three world titles. He's now won 5, has won more UK titles than Hendry, more Master's titles than Hendry, more Triple Crown titles than Hendry, and his longevity - 25 years at the top, and counting - pisses all over Hendry's, whose ambitions of an eighth world title effectively expired in the final frame against Ebdon in 2002.

It's still Hendry, because he has two more world titles to his name. But it's close now. 

Edited by shaun.lawson

On 20/12/2018 at 17:44, Homme said:

Jonah Lomu

On 20/12/2018 at 20:04, scott herbertson said:

Garry Kasparov

On 20/12/2018 at 20:45, fancy a brew said:

Don't know if he's been mentioned, but I reckon Ed Moses has a good claim to be the most dominant ever.

Almost 10 years undefeated, unmatched in athletics.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2003/jun/01/athletics.features2

All great shouts: with Moses the best of them, I'd say.

Daily Thompson

Roger Kingdom

Alberto Tomba

Usain Bolt

Zidane

Sugar Ray Robinson

Khabib Thingymebob

Michael Johnson

Donovan Bailey (At the time beat Johnson over 150m)

Lomachenko 

On 14/12/2018 at 11:39, milky_26 said:

wayne gretzky

Has more assists than any player has goals and assists combines. The only player to total over 200 points in a season (and he did it 4 times). That's just madness. 

On the other hand though, he didn't win the Stanley in 86 and frankly, 4 out of 5 just isn't good enough. 

7 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

Because our conversation was about the greatest tennis player, not the most dominant. I know it sounds weird for me to say they're sometimes two different things - but they are. Was Ali the most dominant boxer ever? Nowhere near it. Was he the Greatest? You bet. Not only that, but Ali is The Greatest Sportsman Of All Time - despite not even having been the most dominant exponent of his sport.

We had the Hendry/O'Sullivan discussion many years ago now. At the time, Ronnie had only won three world titles. He's now won 5, has won more UK titles than Hendry, more Master's titles than Hendry, more Triple Crown titles than Hendry, and his longevity - 25 years at the top, and counting - pisses all over Hendry's, whose ambitions of an eighth world title effectively expired in the final frame against Ebdon in 2002.

It's still Hendry, because he has two more world titles to his name. But it's close now. 

you do realise hendry turned professional in 1985 and retired in 2012 so had a professional career of 27 years with 36 ranking titles.

o'sullivan turned pro in 1992 so his career is currently only 26 years and has 34 ranking titles and over the last few years haven't they increased the number of ranking events? so your longevity argument doesn't add up (at this point)

52 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

you do realise hendry turned professional in 1985 and retired in 2012 so had a professional career of 27 years with 36 ranking titles.

o'sullivan turned pro in 1992 so his career is currently only 26 years and has 34 ranking titles and over the last few years haven't they increased the number of ranking events? so your longevity argument doesn't add up (at this point)

Ronnie got better with age, Stephen got the yips at the turn of the Century causing his decline. So Ronnie has performed at a higher standard over a longer period. Stephen became average when he turned 30.

On 22/12/2018 at 13:48, Thommo414 said:

I'm terms of celebrity status, sure. As a player though, I don't think I'd have him as one of the top 10 of all time. Purely my opinion though 

He wasn't that great. Good player but not esteemed. Too much paper talk and media mince. Charlton and Best far superior.