• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• 132goals1958

• Cruyff Turn

• shaun.lawson

6 minutes ago, graygo said:

I thought it was widely accepted that fishing was the biggest sport in the word or is that a leisure pursuit?

And has been since folk realised there was fish in the water. :laugh:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Football worldwide

Golf worldwide

Baseball USA

NFL /College Football

Athletics USA

Basketball USA

It’s still big in Eastern Europe, Turkey, Russia, China and South America. Which is a fair part of the world. Maybe not so much in Western Europe.

Cricket must be up there as well, played by England and all the Countries they invaded. ?

14 minutes ago, Barack said:

Sitting at the side of a canal, with a camouflage tent, drinking some beers & falling asleep, isn't a "sport."

It's homelessness with more stuff.

:lol: 

Seymour M Hersh
35 minutes ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

LeBron James would be in ahead of Michael Jordan if you could only pick one per sport.

Nope MJ would be 1 and Wilt Chamberlain 2. Le Bron 3. And tbh Wilt should probably be No.1.

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

10 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

It’s still big in Eastern Europe, Turkey, Russia, China and South America. Which is a fair part of the world. Maybe not so much in Western Europe.

Cricket must be up there as well, played by England and all the Countries they invaded. ?

Correct and correct.

Personally, I have BB in 3rd after Baseball and American football in the US. As for world it's football then golf for me. 

Is Baseball not massive in Japan, Mexico and Cuba/Caribbean.

13 hours ago, lauriesrank said:

osuulivan has now won 19 of the triple compared to 18 of hendrys.

Snooker was boring before Hendry showed the world how to really play the game.

7 world titles is top trump, unless you think more league cups beats league titles.

Hendry, Davis and Williams won the triple crown events in the same season, Stephen is the only player to win in the same season twice.

Stephen Hendry last triple crown ever win was the WC 20 years ago come the next world championship. :( 20 years ago ffs.

Edited by ri Alban

12 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Snooker was boring before Hendry showed the world how to really play the game.

7 world titles is top trump, unless you think more league cups beats league titles.

Hendry, Davis and Williams won the triple crown events in the same season, Stephen is the only player to win them all in the same season twice.

Stephen Hendry's last triple crown ever win was the WC 20 years ago come the next world championship. :( 20 years ago, ffs, I'm auld.

rudi must stay

Ronaldo

Messi

Federer 

Nadal

Djokovic

Pete Sampras

Serena Williams

Steve Davis

Stephen Hendry

Steff Graff

Serial winners them all. I wouldn't count darts sorry, that's not a top level sport. To think that those top two can have that effect in a team of 11 puts them top, basically in a big game you've won with either, simple as. All have the same idea, they get/got a trophy and would be onto the next one. Also, if it wasn't for his collapse I would have put in Tiger Woods

On 13/12/2018 at 22:45, Roxy Hearts said:

I thought you meant transcending sense not just your own sport. Jordan isn't as worldly, if you know what I mean. 

Nike Air JORDAN but not worldly??

You're joking right??

Bridge of Djoum
23 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Cricket must be up there as well, played by England and all the Countries they graciously made better. ?

FTFY

On 14/12/2018 at 18:16, Barack said:

Sitting at the side of a canal, with a camouflage tent, drinking some beers & falling asleep, isn't a "sport."

It's homelessness with more stuff.

?

A Boy Named Crow
On 14/12/2018 at 13:01, ri Alban said:

If he's allowed , I'd say Lance Armstrong is the ultimate king of his sport.

I was just about to post that Lewis’ career could certainly be viewed as eyebrow raising, perhaps even suspicious...I’ll leave it at that though 

On 14/12/2018 at 10:41, Spitonastranger said:

Alex Marshall GIRUY

His brother Rab Marshall has won the Slateford Bowling Club Championship 21 times.. Surely that the winner here.

On 14/12/2018 at 18:38, Seymour M Hersh said:

Nope MJ would be 1 and Wilt Chamberlain 2. Le Bron 3. And tbh Wilt should probably be No.1.

Defo. LeBron is amazing but not MJ amazing. By all accounts Wilt was no.1 but I saw MJ play so recency bias wins!

1 hour ago, Boozyuzi said:

His brother Rab Marshall has won the Slateford Bowling Club Championship 21 times.. Surely that the winner here.

Unfortunately, Tattie has the most Commonwealth Games Gold Medals of any athlete, coupled with more World (Indoor) Championships than any other bowler. 

Anyway:

Lemieux

Jordan (the greatest sportsman ever)

Johnson (watched him break the AC/Euro record at Meadowbank - was an advocate of Save Meadowbank)

Bolt

Taylor

Marshall (see above)

Laver

Hand (as a player)

Hendry

Marquez (come on now. He's barely lost a World Championship at any level!)

(I might swap, here and there Schumacher, Moses or Rossi)

Edited by Chester™

Manny Pacquiao, the only boxer to have been world champion in 8 different divisions. Still class at near 40 . Must be in the top 5 fighters of all time.

Usian Bolt would have to be the most dominant Athlete ever in any sport.

A young Iron Mike Tyson is the scariest sportsman I've ever clapped eyes on. You were taking your life in your hands stepping in the ring with him.

Messi, just incredible.

Maradonna, wow 

Pistol Pete Sampras, unbeatable 99% of the time.

Bjorn Borg, retired too young. The Greatest.

Stephen Hendry , The finest player to lift a snooker cue. Hendry at his peak had no equal from any era.

Floyd Mayweather, can't stand him, but the man is 49-0 for a reason.

Haile Gebrselassie , just class.

Maybe I should add Tom Brady, but his cheating counts him out in my eyes.

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, ri Alban said:

Manny Pacquiao, the only boxer to have been world champion in 8 different divisions. Still class at near 40 . Must be in the top 5 fighters of all time.

Usian Bolt would have to be the most dominant Athlete ever in any sport.

A young Iron Mike Tyson is the scariest sportsman I've ever clapped eyes on. You were taking your life in your hands stepping in the ring with him.

Messi, just incredible.

Maradonna, wow 

Pistol Pete Sampras, unbeatable 99% of the time.

Bjorn Borg, retired too young. The Greatest.

Stephen Hendry , The finest player to lift a snooker cue. Hendry at his peak had no equal from any era.

Floyd Mayweather, can't stand him, but the man is 49-0 for a reason.

Haile Gebrselassie , just class.

Maybe I should add Tom Brady, but his cheating counts him out in my eyes.

Peyton Manning...walking computer. Desperate for him to coach the Colts one day.

22 hours ago, dougal said:

Nike Air JORDAN but not worldly??

You're joking right??

A training shoe more worldly than the man? He's not such a big deal as Ali, Nicklaus, Pele, Maradona etc. IMO. 

Toxteth O'Grady
On 14/12/2018 at 16:05, Bridge of Djoum said:

Ty Cobb

Diana Taurasi

Ivan Mauger

Jerry Rice

Wayne Gretzky

Julius Erving

Mia Hamm

Jackie Joyner-Kersee

Kelly Slater

Michael Johnson

A wee bit different

Some good ones there.

David Weir - Wheelchair athlete - I've spoken to him and his arms were as thick as my thighs

Toxteth O'Grady
On 14/12/2018 at 18:14, graygo said:

I thought it was widely accepted that fishing was the biggest sport in the word or is that a leisure pursuit?

Bob Nudd - 3 times world match fishing champion 

No mention yet for Ed Moses? 400m hurdler who won 107 consecutive finals between 1977 and 1987 (according to Wiki!). 

Won gold in the 1976 and 1984 Olympic Games - USA didn't compete in 1980. 

jack D and coke
On 14/12/2018 at 08:27, Craig_ said:

I'd argue O'Sullivan is a more naturally talented player, but Hendry considerably more successful, and in a more competitive era too. 

O’Sullivan has just passed his amount of majors won. Only a couple behind in world titles now too. Hendry changed snooker and the two of them are head and shoulders above anyone else who’s ever played it. 

Ronnie is the most naturally talented and could probably beat decent opponents left handed. 

Havent watched any cricket in about a decade, and never really was into it only ever watched it late at night to fall asleep to - but seem to remember Sachin Tendulkar being pretty decent.

been here before
6 hours ago, skinnybob72 said:

No mention yet for Ed Moses? 400m hurdler who won 107 consecutive finals between 1977 and 1987 (according to Wiki!). 

Won gold in the 1976 and 1984 Olympic Games - USA didn't compete in 1980. 

Aye... a few days ago...

On 13/12/2018 at 20:32, been here before said:

Dick McTaggart

That American Hurdler dude. Ed Moses?

Rocky Marciano

Ballyregan Bob.

On 13/12/2018 at 21:45, The Old Tolbooth said:

Joe Calzaghe, unbeaten in an epic career. 

Did he not avoid a couple of up and coming fighters before retiring early? 

58 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Did he not avoid a couple of up and coming fighters before retiring early? 

Dodged Karl Crochet, honestly don't know why. He'd have done him right in. A prime Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, James Toney, Jones Jnr and Michael Watson would have battered Joe.

1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

Dodged Karl Crochet, honestly don't know why. He'd have done him right in. A prime Nigel Benn, Chris Eubank, James Toney, Jones Jnr and Michael Watson would have battered Joe.

Couldn’t remember who it was but Froch in my opinion would also have beaten Calzaghe. Was their not an American fighter he dodged before an early exit?

32 minutes ago, stevie1874 said:

Couldn’t remember who it was but Froch in my opinion would also have beaten Calzaghe. Was their not an American fighter he dodged before an early exit?

Glen Johnson and Kelly Pavlik come to mind.

On 14/12/2018 at 10:16, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

I don't think he has be mentioned but Brian Lara the West Indies cricketer dominated the batting averages for ages. 

For batting averages see Don Bradman, makes Lara look like a kid playing rounders

All roads lead to Gorgie
25 minutes ago, Ribble said:

For batting averages see Don Bradman, makes Lara look like a kid playing rounders

I was thinking players in my lifetime like Lara but Bradman is way out front there is no doubt about that in an all time list. 

On 13/12/2018 at 22:34, SectionG said:

Phil Taylor surely has to make this list, not the most likeable but certainly dominated his sport

Just my opinion but I view darts as a parlor game rather than a sport.

Herb Elliott -the greatest athlete of his time. ---- late fifties and early sixties went 4 or five years undefeated in the 1500 metres and mile distance breaking world records on countless occasions. Ed Moses was another superb athlete totally dominating the 400 metre hurdles.

On 14/12/2018 at 15:54, ri Alban said:

Roger Federer? Can't really say he dominated when Nadal and Novak usually wipe the floor with him and will overtake his records.

Il bet you all the oil in the north sea that Nadal wont overtake Federers 20 Slams . Neither will Djokovic although he has a better chance i still dont see it .

2 hours ago, JimKongUno said:

Il bet you all the oil in the north sea that Nadal wont overtake Federers 20 Slams . Neither will Djokovic although he has a better chance i still dont see it .

Nadal is 3 behind and Novak 6. You can't say Roger dominated if these two have 17 and 14 grand slams each and are 5 and 6 yrs younger. These 2 were kids when Roger was accumulating his early GSs.

Edited by ri Alban

On ‎17‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 02:40, jack D and coke said:

O’Sullivan has just passed his amount of majors won. Only a couple behind in world titles now too. Hendry changed snooker and the two of them are head and shoulders above anyone else who’s ever played it. 

Ronnie is the most naturally talented and could probably beat decent opponents left handed. 

The issue with Ronnie is .. there is no quality left in opposition now.

Hendry played against titans of the baize.

Ronnie gets away with his lack of application because of this.

This topic certainly stimulates the mind as it is not necessarily about the all time best  . In athletic field events Al Oerter dominated in the discus with four successive Olympic golds. Amateur sports got much more exposure in years gone by notably in communist countries where professionalism was banned. Lazlo Papp from Hungary won three gold medals at different Olympics and belatedly turned professional and never lost a fight in either the amateur or paid ranks. Teifilo Stevenson the Cuban heavyweight also had similar Olympic success in the boxing ring.

jack D and coke
6 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

The issue with Ronnie is .. there is no quality left in opposition now.

Hendry played against titans of the baize.

Ronnie gets away with his lack of application because of this.

Isn’t there? I really don’t pay it that much attention anymore. I used to love snooker, played/watched it religiously growing up and still like a game but I probably couldn’t name anymore than probably 3 or 4 players now. Has the money gone from the game or something? It seems to have fallen quite a bit. 

18 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Isn’t there? I really don’t pay it that much attention anymore. I used to love snooker, played/watched it religiously growing up and still like a game but I probably couldn’t name anymore than probably 3 or 4 players now. Has the money gone from the game or something? It seems to have fallen quite a bit. 

mark allen, who has just won the scottish open said he did not deserve to be in the final as he was constantly playing with a hangover. in one game at the interval he iirc had a couple of drinks then came out and won the match

Lennox Lewis (Olympic and Heavyweight world champ and beat every man he faced as a pro)

Valentino  Rossi

Vasyl Lomachenko ( 2 time Olympic champ and three weight professional champion. Combined amateur and professional record 408-2)

Chris Hoy

Jim Brown

Daley Thompson

Michael Johnson

1 hour ago, 132goals1958 said:

This topic certainly stimulates the mind as it is not necessarily about the all time best  . In athletic field events Al Oerter dominated in the discus with four successive Olympic golds. Amateur sports got much more exposure in years gone by notably in communist countries where professionalism was banned. Lazlo Papp from Hungary won three gold medals at different Olympics and belatedly turned professional and never lost a fight in either the amateur or paid ranks. Teifilo Stevenson the Cuban heavyweight also had similar Olympic success in the boxing ring.

Your point on Stevenson and Papp is spot on. They both with time and no politics would have have probably dominated the sport.

• jkbmod 9 changed the title to Top ten most dominant sports people