Lockerbie

trotter

William H. Bonney

Great read. My mum was a nurse and was sent down to Lockerbie to assist. My dad was a journalist and spent a year in the Hague covering the trial. 

Салатные палочки

Very good article. Not much more that can be added that hasn't been read or seen before.  

Quite unbelievable that it's been thirty years. I still remember seeing the footage in the morning while eating my breakfast and then my teacher at school being really upset.  Horrible, unthinkable tragedy. Thankfully, although it will still hurt greatly for a number of the residents of that town, they have managed to move on. 

I know a few folk who were part of the emergency services response. It sounds utterly hellish in the truest sense of the word. I can't imagine how they dealt with it.

jack D and coke

Excellent read there. I used to work with a lad who came from there, he had a big scrapbook he kept of the time with articles, photos etc it was quite similar reading some of that. Tragic, I think a plane crash has to be one of my biggest fears tbh. You don’t belong up there in a tin can frankly, I always like when my plane touches down. 

Bit at the bottom with some people still thinking it was the Libyans and Megrahi

in particular. I don’t think for one minute it was Megrahi or Gaddafi who had anything to do with it. I can’t remember where I read it now but sure the Americans knew it was the Syrians but Gaddafi became the patsy and took the rap in enchange for lifting of Libyan sanctions. 

The release of Megrahi was even a bit of a stitch up for the Scottish government IIRC. 

Positive I read Kenny MacAskill saying the Americans knew and were even all for the release but in public made out they weren’t. 

Edited by jack D and coke

24 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Excellent read there. I used to work with a lad who came from there, he had a big scrapbook he kept of the time with articles, photos etc it was quite similar reading some of that. Tragic, I think a plane crash has to be one of my biggest fears tbh. You don’t belong up there in a tin can frankly, I always like when my plane touches down. 

Bit at the bottom with some people still thinking it was the Libyans and Megrahi

in particular. I don’t think for one minute it was Megrahi or Gaddafi who had anything to do with it. I can’t remember where I read it now but sure the Americans knew it was the Syrians but Gaddafi became the patsy and took the rap in enchange for lifting of Libyan sanctions. 

The release of Megrahi was even a bit of a stitch up for the Scottish government IIRC. 

Positive I read Kenny MacAskill saying the Americans knew and were even all for the release but in public made out they weren’t. 

Revenge for the Iranian passenger jet shot down by the Americans remains the most credible theory.  Though who actually did it is more complicated given different, often strange alliances.

jack D and coke
2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Revenge for the Iranian passenger jet shot down by the Americans remains the most credible theory.  Though who actually did it is more complicated given different, often strange alliances.

Yeah that was a credible theory now you mention that. Wish I could remember where I read the Syrian one. 

Brighton Jambo

The strangest thing just happened, as I read that (excellent by the way) someone in my house started chopping a shed load of onions.  

• 9 months later...

Until today, I never knew that PA103 from Frankfurt to Detroit actually normally went Frankfurt-London-New York-Detroit.

Leg 1 was on a 727, only switching to the doomed 747 at Heathrow. 

Looking at the LHR-JFK great circle route - Lockerbie's miles off it. Presume weather or something pushed 103 further north?

AlphonseCapone

This one of those events that doesn't feel real to me because of my age. Like I can't properly understand how huge an event this must have been. I was thinking how there are people now legal age to drink who'll feel the same about 9/11.

1 hour ago, AlphonseCapone said:

This one of those events that doesn't feel real to me because of my age. Like I can't properly understand how huge an event this must have been. I was thinking how there are people now legal age to drink who'll feel the same about 9/11.

Take my word for it as the years go on incidents that you think will never be topped usually are and you become somewhat inured to the tragedies and c ruelties of nature and man.

3 hours ago, Boof said:

Until today, I never knew that PA103 from Frankfurt to Detroit actually normally went Frankfurt-London-New York-Detroit.

Looking at the LHR-JFK great circle route - Lockerbie's miles off it. Presume weather or something pushed 103 further north?

You got a link Boof?

From memory, I could be wrong. But the plane was late in taking off, 49 mins??. If on time it would have downed over the Atlantic.

All the pilaver of the trial and imprisonment would not have been Scotlans' issue.

14 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

You got a link Boof?

From memory, I could be wrong. But the plane was late in taking off, 49 mins??. If on time it would have downed over the Atlantic.

All the pilaver of the trial and imprisonment would not have been Scotlans' issue.

I think you are correct, the bomb was meant to explode out at sea.

3 hours ago, Boof said:

There was a documentary on recently, Channel 4 or 5. The route was to do with the most favourable winds. 

Wasn't there something about South African diplomats who were booked on the flight but were warned by their embassy not to get on it, they got another flight instead, needless to say they all survived.

Sure there was something like that happened.

With everything that has been recoded and reported upon, it is unlikely that anyone on this board is going to come up with a provenance view of the events that night ?

6 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Wasn't there something about South African diplomats who were booked on the flight but were warned by their embassy not to get on it, they got another flight instead, needless to say they all survived.

I think there were all sorts of stories like this. Some of which included some quite famous people who decided against getting on the flight. For the life of me I cant remember who 😩

Edit: The Four Tops, Kim Katrall and John Lyndon were all meant to be on this flight but changed their minds for one reason or another. Very Lucky. 

Edited by Pans Jambo

11 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

I think there were all sorts of stories like this. Some of which included some quite famous people who decided against getting on the flight. For the life of me I cant remember who 😩

Edit: The Four Tops, Kim Katrall and John Lyndon were all meant to be on this flight but changed their minds for one reason or another. Very Lucky. 

And Mats Wilander, who was the No.1 Tennis player at the time.

Found something about the SA group.

https://www.iol.co.za/ios/behindthenews/pik-bothas-lockerbie-mystery-17617534

27 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

There was a warning received 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/uk/2000/feb/27/lockerbie.life1

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

You got a link Boof?

Plane lifted off 25 minutes 'late' though this is open to interpretation I.e. 6pm slot doesn't mean plane has to lift off at 6pm exactly.

Bomb was timed to go off 38 minutes into flight which would have been over land. But who knows. All sorts of possibilities. Bombers might have set timer wrongly. 

1 hour ago, Tommy Brown said:

You got a link Boof?

All my info has just come from a Google search for pan am 103 and the subsequent looking at the Wikipedia page.

My interest was prompted because I was in an English class today where they were studying Hotel room, 12th floor and the poem references the "Pan PanAm skyscraper". The teacher stated that Pan Am had gone bust in the 80s and for some reason the number 103 came to my mind. 

Following the links made me realise that Pan Am 103 remains in my subconscious. 

• 1 year later...
Салатные палочки
52 minutes ago, Space Mackerel said:

I see this is back in the news again today. Here is a great documentary that exposes what the UK victims group are saying. 

https://archive.org/details/The-Maltese-Double-Cross

I remember watching that when it was on originally but although I have a keen interest in aviation and air disasters, I struggled to follow it. I'll watch it again at some point this weekend. 

Space Mackerel
17 minutes ago, Salad Fingers said:

I remember watching that when it was on originally but although I have a keen interest in aviation and air disasters, I struggled to follow it. I'll watch it again at some point this weekend. 

Well worth a couple of hours of your time pal. 

Jim Swire is 84 now.

I doubt it, but I hope he lives long enough for the truth to out.

When state sponsored terrorism met state sponsored demands to put someone, anyone in jail for an autrocity. 

3 minutes ago, DETTY29 said:

Jim Swire is 84 now.

I doubt it, but I hope he lives long enough for the truth to out.

When state sponsored terrorism met state sponsored demands to put someone, anyone in jail for an autrocity. 

I have the utmost respect for Jim Swire, lost his daughter but has always kept campaigning/working to get the truth of what actually happened and to get justice for those who died and their families all while maintaining his dignity

Салатные палочки
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

I have the utmost respect for Jim Swire, lost his daughter but has always kept campaigning/working to get the truth of what actually happened and to get justice for those who died and their families all while maintaining his dignity

Agreed. Always comes across as a complete gentleman.