Labour

jake

23 minutes ago, Des' Dad said:

Agree with you 100%. I wish media people who claim Corbyn is anti-semetic would ask for a specific example. Early on in his leadership he probably should have noticed the inference to Jewish people in the mural showing rich people round a table but other than that I have not heard one concrete example of anti-semetism in anything he's said. Unfortunately, some people confuse anti-zionism and criticism of the Israeli government over its treatment of Palestine as being anti-semetic. If it is, then I am also an anti-semite and I will continue to question the legality of the crimes committed by Netanyahu.

looks like Netanyahu will be answering for his crimes within Israel soon?

• Replies 954
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maroonlegions

• ri Alban

• Governor Tarkin

• doctor jambo

"I never felt fully comfortable being a member of the Labour Party, " says Red Tory arsewipe Chuka Umunna.

Quelle feckin surprise ya dobber.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

"I never felt fully comfortable being a member of the Labour Party, " says Red Tory arsewipe Chuka Umunna.

Quelle feckin surprise ya dobber.

Grade A arsehole, that one !

Any reference to Corbyn's actions as an activist against any form of racism that involves rallies etc going back decades leaves  the politician complainers looking stupid, their faces betraying how stupid and desperate they are. Almost embarrassed, but not quite.

12 hours ago, coconut doug said:

Williamson was not "caught on camera", he was speaking to his constituency members.

He is complaining rightly imo that the Labour party is being demonised over anti-semitism and that the Labour Party has done more to fight against anti-semitism and racism than any other institution in the U.K. It is because of this historical fight that Williamson believes the Labour Party should be less apologetic. As an institution they have done and continue to do a lot to combat this and similar forms of ignorance. 

The misinterpretation of what he said, and i accept that he could have phrased it better is nothing more than an overreaction. This overreaction to anything Corbyn and his supporters do is simply done to discredit left wing politics. Anybody who has observed politics in this country for any length of time knows that the vast majority of bigots and racists inhabit the right wing parties. Racism and bigotry is not the domain of the educated or the left.

Nobody is denying it's existence especially the Labour Party but the scale and severity of the anti-semitism has not yet been clarified. What we do know is that at least two hundred of the complaints were made by Margaret Hodge and that almost all of those she complained about were not members of the Labour Party. 

As i understand it at least two people have been jailed for abusing Luciana Berger, neither of whom were in the Labour Party. There are claims that she was the victim of anti-semitism within the local party. I have heard her say that she was vilified for supporting a second referendum but she doesn't say who did it and whether their motives were anti-semitic. 

It's awfully nice of all the Tories to express sadness at the demise of this "once great party" whilst others like yourself talk of cancers at the heart of the party and pretend that they are concerned about it's long term health. Nothing would annoy them more than if the relatively few anti-semites were emptied from the party and the emphasis shifted to the actions of the most incompetent and divisive government this country has seen in along time.

Yeah, I thought if she was being villified where the motive was not anti semitism, which seems very likely in this case, that that's just politics. Somebody disagrees with you. In this instance, get over it.

A Boy Named Crow

What really, really annoys me about the reporting of Labour’s problems in the media is the lazy use of the term anti-Semitic. Often this is in relation to a comment criticising Israel in relation to their treatment of the Palestinians, who speak  Arabic, which is also a Semitic language.  Anti-Semitic is just the wrong term to use!

It’s picky I know and it probably annoys me more than it should, but it’s indicative of the sloppy, ill informed guff that passes for “news” these days.

Edited by A Boy Named Crow

16 hours ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

What really, really annoys me about the reporting of Labour’s problems in the media is the lazy use of the term anti-Semitic. Often this is in relation to a comment criticising Israel in relation to their treatment of the Palestinians, who speak  Arabic, which is also a Semitic language.  Anti-Semitic is just the wrong term to use!

It’s picky I know and it probably annoys me more than it should, but it’s indicative of the sloppy, ill informed guff that passes for “news” these days.

the Palestinians are Semites so Israel should be getting done for real Anti-Semitism

Governor Tarkin
On 03/03/2019 at 03:03, A Boy Named Crow said:

It's not picky at all and it's right that it annoys you. :thumbsup:

A Boy Named Crow
17 hours ago, XB52 said:

the Palestinians are Semites so Israel should be getting done for real Anti-Semitism

Aye, kinda

It’s just stupid. Call it anti-Israeli, anti-Zionist, anti-Jewish, whatever, but in the context it gets used here and in the media in general, the word “anti-Semitic is utterly pointless.

So who actually IS making all these “anti-semitic” remarks in the Labour party? Is it the leaders, MP’s, backroom staff or just Labour members?

Meant to “rife” according to the ones that quit but why not name & shame them?

Edited by Pans Jambo

Anti-semitism undoubtedly occurs and exists within the Labour Party and it cannot be condoned.    It should be eradicated as far as humanly possible.    To a degree of no less or no more than all other forms of racism and prejudice.

Where does it exist?     Almost entirely at the lower echelons.    Among the activists and memberships of associated organisations.    Is the reporting and perception a true reflection of the scale of it or is there a possibility of an exaggerated picture being portrayed?     I don't know but I suspect it will be very difficult to suggest any exaggeration because it would be vilified as being tolerance of the problem.

What are the objectives of the most vocal people in the Labour Party regarding addressing the problem?     The obvious and most valid is to stop anti-semitism.     There can be no argument made against such an objective.     Other than that though?     You could drive out any number of people but would they not simply tend to remain anti-semitic outside of the Labour Party?     I suspect these people will not abandon their views voluntarily.

Unintended consequences?      That the Labour Party is permanently damaged by the issue.    Split.     Tarnished.     The inception of a more extreme left wing,   more emboldened,   less democratic party.    Comprised of anti-semites throughout the levels,   including possible representatives on local authorities and even higher?

Hodge nods  at the c4 reporter as he asks, mildly incredulously,  if she considers Corbyn a racist and anti-semite despite his very visible stance against both over decades. There is no acknowledgment of this activity from Hodge or any sign that she may  find it ever so slightly curious against her current view. I find this odd when the overall aim must be for everyone to help deal with anti-semitism in a membership where all the protagonsts are in the same membership. But the agenda is not to look at Corbyn's record on racism issues.

The right of the Party have lost control and they don't like it. 

Edited by Riccarton3

21 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Hodge nods  at the c4 reporter as he asks, mildly incredulously,  if she considers Corbyn a racist and anti-semite despite his very visible stance against both over decades. There is no acknowledgment of this activity from Hodge or any sign that she may  find it ever so slightly curious against her current view. I find this odd when the overall aim must be for everyone to help deal with anti-semitism in a membership where all the protagonsts are in the same membership. But the agenda is not to look at Corbyn's record on racism issues.

The right of the Party have lost control and they don't like it. 

.....agenda also not to look collectively at solving a problem/offering help, despite being in the same club and despite the damage the issue can cause. Find that interesting, too. Little wonder there is a heavy dose of cynicism around this issue.

Hodge is routinely nebulous and cryptic.    If she has anything of substance to accuse Corbyn of then it would be better to just say it in plain English.     Put up or shut up.

She may well be in the right but I want to see some direct accusations.

• 1 month later...
Geoff the Mince

Corbyn again caught up in anti semitism . James O'Brien on LBC currently discussing Corbyns  views on a book written by John Hobson . A couple of the online papers also  running the story . Anyone want to defend him ? 

Notts1874
34 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Corbyn again caught up in anti semitism . James O'Brien on LBC currently discussing Corbyns  views on a book written by John Hobson . A couple of the online papers also  running the story . Anyone want to defend him ? 

Nope. Would quite like to hear what he has to say about it though. Not holding my breath.

33 minutes ago, Geoff the Mince said:

Yip.

I studied the book at Uni and it's a pretty good critique of imperialism.  Not condoning the anti-semitic comments within it, but to dismiss the work out of hand because of that would be, imo, wrong.

Understandable why Corbyn would right a foreword to the book, but doesn't make him anti-semitic.

Can't help but feel this is an orchestrated campaign to tar him as an anti-semite and timing, as always, is everything.

Notts1874
10 minutes ago, Boris said:

I'll add the caveat that, obviously, I haven't read what Corbyn's foreward says.

He certainly doesn't separate the critique imperialism in the West from some of the horrific anti Semitic theories that are in the book. He describes it as a " great tome ".

Its happening too often for this to be coincidence . Some have said that he has a blind spot to anti Semitism. Lets face it that's difficult to do with this book.

7 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

He certainly doesn't separate the critique imperialism in the West from some of the horrific anti Semitic theories that are in the book. He describes it as a " great tome ".

Its happening too often for this to be coincidence . Some have said that he has a blind spot to anti Semitism. Lets face it that's difficult to do with this book.

It is a great tome!  Again, without condoning the two pages I think it is that are anti-semetic (which don't actually mention the word Jew, but the context would support the accusation).

Written and published 8 years ago.  Had it just been written, do you think Corbyn may have been a bit more diplomatic?

Notts1874
4 minutes ago, Boris said:

Written and published 8 years ago.  Had it just been written, do you think Corbyn may have been a bit more diplomatic?

You mean his foreword?

Which again isn't saying that Corbyn shouldn't have called out the anti semitic aspect of Hobson's work...but can't help but feel this is a bit of a witch hunt against JC.  

Notts1874
2 minutes ago, Boris said:

Yes.

I think he should probably have steered clear of writing anything at all. I know the writer doesn't mention the word Jew but my word he didn't really need to did he??

Notts1874
1 minute ago, Boris said:

Which again isn't saying that Corbyn shouldn't have called out the anti semitic aspect of Hobson's work...but can't help but feel this is a bit of a witch hunt against JC.  

The timing is certainly suspicious I will give you that but he is making it rather easy for them.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

The timing is certainly suspicious I will give you that but he is making it rather easy for them.

JC elected Labour Leader - immediate thought, "Shit, I wrote a foreward to a book in 2011 and didn't call out the author's thinlky veiled anti-semitism, rather I focussed on the critique of imperialist capitalism." #priorities

Meanwhile everyone forgetting JC is probably (I'm making an assumption here!) a big fan of Marx and Trotsky.

Notts1874
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

JC elected Labour Leader - immediate thought, "Shit, I wrote a foreward to a book in 2011 and didn't call out the author's thinlky veiled anti-semitism, rather I focussed on the critique of imperialist capitalism." #priorities

Meanwhile everyone forgetting JC is probably (I'm making an assumption here!) a big fan of Marx and Trotsky.

Come on Boris it's not even thinly veiled. Why didn't he call it out when he wrote his foreword?

He could have agreed with the authors points about Imperialism while condemning the anti Semitic views in the book, but he didn't.

That's what, as a Labour voter, concerns me. At best it displays a shocking sense of judgment.

1 minute ago, Notts1874 said:

Come on Boris it's not even thinly veiled. Why didn't he call it out when he wrote his foreword?

He could have agreed with the authors points about Imperialism while condemning the anti Semitic views in the book, but he didn't.

That's what, as a Labour voter, concerns me. At best it displays a shocking sense of judgment.

When he wrote the forward did he think he'd be the Labour leader one day?  Which, again, isn't to condone the lack of criticism to Hobson for his anti semitic views. Were he to write that foreward last week or yesterday then i suspect Corbyn would have criticised.  

A shocking sense of judgement? Yes, I don't disagree with that, but equally (and this is what i think is trying to be portrayed by the right wing media) I don't think Corbyn is endorsing Hobson's anti semitic view either.

Governor Tarkin
2 hours ago, Geoff the Mince said:

I'm fully behind Jeremy Corbyn and his anti-semitism. 

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Notts1874
3 minutes ago, Boris said:

When he wrote the forward did he think he'd be the Labour leader one day?  Which, again, isn't to condone the lack of criticism to Hobson for his anti semitic views. Were he to write that foreward last week or yesterday then i suspect Corbyn would have criticised.  

A shocking sense of judgement? Yes, I don't disagree with that, but equally (and this is what i think is trying to be portrayed by the right wing media) I don't think Corbyn is endorsing Hobson's anti semitic view either.

But he has given them the opportunity to paint that picture. This will be all over the papers tomorrow and you can bet your bottom dollar they won't quote any other parts of the book, which I have read and I wouldn't have written a foreword for it??.

2 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

But he has given them the opportunity to paint that picture. This will be all over the papers tomorrow and you can bet your bottom dollar they won't quote any other parts of the book, which I have read and I wouldn't have written a foreword for it??.

Undeniably he has!  I'm not arguing against that.

SwindonJambo
42 minutes ago, Notts1874 said:

Amongst other reasons, that's why I as a former Labour Voter won't touch them with a barge pole until Corbyn and his ilk are booted back out into the outer stratosphere of obscurity where they came from.

Captain Sausage

I wonder if Boris would be so forgiving if it was May writing a foreword for an anti-immigration booklet...doubtful. 

7 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

I wonder if Boris would be so forgiving if it was May writing a foreword for an anti-immigration booklet...doubtful. 

Of course I wouldn’t. But had Corbyn written a foreword to the Protocols of the Elders of Zion I wouldn’t be defending him either. Hobsons critique of imperialism is not inherently anti Semitic, not that I am condoning the element in it that is.

5 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I'm fully behind Jeremy Corbyn and his anti-semitism. 

:D

17 hours ago, Captain Sausage said:

Boris was extremely generous to you in dealing with this bullshit strawman. Kudos to him.

Captain Sausage
1 hour ago, Justin Z said:

Boris was extremely generous to you in dealing with this bullshit strawman. Kudos to him.

:lol: 

Let the anger go, bud. 

You don’t show yourself up in a good light with responses like that. 

People who who treat politics like football teams, tribal defence of ‘their’ leaders, is what causes so many of the issues we see in politics today. 

If people would take a step back, analyse a situation on its own merits, and make a decision based on the facts, not their perceived loyalty to someone who couldn’t give a toss about them, we might see some progress in politics. 

1 minute ago, Captain Sausage said:

:lol: 

Let the anger go, bud. 

You don’t show yourself up in a good light with responses like that. 

People who who treat politics like football teams, tribal defence of ‘their’ leaders, is what causes so many of the issues we see in politics today. 

If people would take a step back, analyse a situation on its own merits, and make a decision based on the facts, not their perceived loyalty to someone who couldn’t give a toss about them, we might see some progress in politics. 

Since I think Corbyn is an utterly clueless ****wit, and Labour are a dumpster fire, the entire premise of your response is pretty much irrelevant.

What is relevant is that you tried to corner Boris by making up an analogy that bears zero relation to what Corbyn has done, and you got seen clean through. Admit the dishonesty of your premise and move on, instead of doubling down with this garbage.

Captain Sausage
4 hours ago, Justin Z said:

Since I think Corbyn is an utterly clueless ****wit, and Labour are a dumpster fire, the entire premise of your response is pretty much irrelevant.

What is relevant is that you tried to corner Boris by making up an analogy that bears zero relation to what Corbyn has done, and you got seen clean through. Admit the dishonesty of your premise and move on, instead of doubling down with this garbage.

Eh? Are you challenging my point that tribalism in politics results in ‘supporters’ defending comments/actions/positions while attacking others for comparable comments/actions/positions? This hypocrisy fuels division and keeps the circular bullshit wheel moving. 

Your personal opinion on Corbyn has **** all to do with this. But your narcissism speaks volumes. 

2 minutes ago, Captain Sausage said:

Eh? Are you challenging my point that tribalism in politics results in ‘supporters’ defending comments/actions/positions while attacking others for comparable comments/actions/positions? This hypocrisy fuels division and keeps the circular bullshit wheel moving. 

Your personal opinion on Corbyn has **** all to do with this. But your narcissism speaks volumes. 

:rofl:

You write a post quoting, then speaking directly to, me, then accuse me of narcissism for responding as if you were, I dunno, talking to me or something.

Get to absolute **** ?

Captain Sausage
Just now, Justin Z said:

:rofl:

You write a post quoting, then speaking directly to, me, then accuse me of narcissism for responding as if you were, I dunno, talking to me or something.

Get to absolute **** ?

I assume something is going on in your life which is causing you to lash out, which is sad. I’d say it doesn’t really help to behave like you are, but it’s understandable. No one knows what’s going on behind the screen. I find this place is actually surprisingly supportive and understanding when people are open and honest. 

I guess your lack of response to the tribalism of politics means you have nothing further to add, and accept my point. 

We can end it there, I’m not interested in a personal debate with someone who adds nothing but vitriol. Happy to discuss the topic though :thumbsup:

maroonlegions

Karma.

Image may contain: 1 person, text

To think this criminal is to get £17,000 in compensation too. 

maroonlegions

All Tory held councils, shiting it because they face extinction no doubt.

This IS Dictatorship nothing less ,7 Tory councils will not have votes, they say because they can not afford it, truth is, they know they will lose. What next no voting in the next General Election.  

• 2 months later...
Governor Tarkin
40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Time David Milliband stood up to be counted. 

The prince across the water.

3 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

The prince across the water.

He's back. And I think he's about to make a move .