Racism in football

Locky

3 instances in the last few weeks up here, and a couple at recent Chelsea and Arsenal games. Without wanting to get in to a heated political debate, is the political tension leading to increased xenophobia from many, or has racism just never really left football?

Just now, Locky said:

3 instances in the last few weeks up here, and a couple at recent Chelsea and Arsenal games. Without wanting to get in to a heated political debate, is the political tension leading to increased xenophobia from many, or has racism just never really left football?

Its never really left, but the irresponsible behaviour of politicians in the last decade has led to a feeling of legitimacy amongst disenfranchised groups of angry people. The way the words “immigrant”, “benefits” and “asylum” have been turned in to vulgar words in recent times has led to people with extremist fringe views feeling vindicated, rather than challenging their own prejudices, as they would have done previously, when these far right views were unacceptable in the mainstream.

imo.

18 minutes ago, Locky said:

No - racism has never left society.

8 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Its never really left, but the irresponsible behaviour of politicians in the last decade has led to a feeling of legitimacy amongst disenfranchised groups of angry people. The way the words “immigrant”, “benefits” and “asylum” have been turned in to vulgar words in recent times has led to people with extremist fringe views feeling vindicated, rather than challenging their own prejudices, as they would have done previously, when these far right views were unacceptable in the mainstream.

imo.

Agree with this post, politicians all to often prey on the weak minded as happened in the thirty's, all to easy to blame the minority's on society's woes thus causing social unrest, which is these political unsavoury's aim all along . It then tends to end up rearing it's ugly head at social gatherings such as football and and other sporting events that (unfortunately) attracts the aforementioned easily lead, in the thirties it was bier kellers.

There has been a societal rise due to various political factors and we are now seeing the knock on effect at football at certain clubs. It’s a worrying trend, particularly for us

queensferryjambo

Racism IMO generally stays the same.

The only difference is when people feel empowered to express their racist views as they feel they have the support of others in bigger groups who will validate their opinions. Nationalistic politics and the rise in racist groups who to operate with a thinly veiled façade of normality and respectability has given these people their voice. People I have net who buy into racism, xenophobia, homophobia etc always try to dress up their hatred as something else and never admit to being what they are.

Sadly for Hearts and for society in general this isn't going away any time soon.

1 hour ago, queensferryjambo said:

Racism IMO generally stays the same.

The only difference is when people feel empowered to express their racist views as they feel they have the support of others in bigger groups who will validate their opinions. Nationalistic politics and the rise in racist groups who to operate with a thinly veiled façade of normality and respectability has given these people their voice. People I have net who buy into racism, xenophobia, homophobia etc always try to dress up their hatred as something else and never admit to being what they are.

Sadly for Hearts and for society in general this isn't going away any time soon.

Current stick for the club,be another one coming along shortly.

I’d mistakenly thought it had mostly been left in the dark ages but after the Isma incident and again on Saturday , sadly it appears there are still sick individuals left. Sooner those sickos are identified, banned, prosecuted and dealt with by the courts the better.

the recent Chelsea game, the league cup final and our game show that it is still hanging about like a cancer.

crowd self policing may well help but that can be frightening given the animals who still spout this filth.

Dagger Is Back
7 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

imo.

7 hours ago, jamboozy said:

Agree with this post, politicians all to often prey on the weak minded as happened in the thirty's, all to easy to blame the minority's on society's woes thus causing social unrest, which is these political unsavoury's aim all along . It then tends to end up rearing it's ugly head at social gatherings such as football and and other sporting events that (unfortunately) attracts the aforementioned easily lead, in the thirties it was bier kellers.

In a nutshell. 

2 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

I’d mistakenly thought it had mostly been left in the dark ages but after the Isma incident and again on Saturday , sadly it appears there are still sick individuals left. Sooner those sickos are identified, banned, prosecuted and dealt with by the courts the better.

the recent Chelsea game, the league cup final and our game show that it is still hanging about like a cancer.

crowd self policing may well help but that can be frightening given the animals who still spout this filth.

:greatpost:         

Absolutely spot on in everything you state. The sad part re the section I've highlighted is that the animals of which you speak are in the main non-entities who couldn't fight sleep. However, when they form into their 'hyena' pack they are a tad more formidable thereby making it difficult for a 'well intentioned' individual to step in and facilitate self policing.  

All in all though, sad individuals who tarnish our club's proud name and history.  

Edited by Coolio

8 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

imo.

Sums it up well imo

Bazzas right boot
15 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

imo.

Yip. 

Never left but has gotten worse. 

has there  also been a rise in the numbers of players charged with racism in the last few years?

Individuals have to take the blame for their own actions and deserve to be banned/charged further. However when you hear that footballers when found guilty by an FA get a fine and a 5 match ban doesn't really scream of an organisation taking it to seriously. 

If I or the majority on here were found guilty of racism by our employers we would be out the door.

Zero tolerance for all should be be enforced and maybe then the message will slowly creep in

fabienleclerq

It's not a football problem it's a societal problem.

I also think there is actually less of it now than even say ten years ago. To the point I'm really shocked if I hear it and people are much quicker to point it out and the press more likely to get involved.

8 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

I also think there is actually less of it now than even say ten years ago. To the point I'm really shocked if I hear it and people are much quicker to point it out and the press more likely to get involved.

You're spot on. 

It is more shocking to people because of the great strides in the last 3 or 4 decades.

It will always be there because of the ever changing world. It could get pretty bad depending on how politics in Europe shapes up in the next few decades.

Hang onto your hats !

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I think we may find strict liability about to be introduced across the board in the SPFL. Just a hunch though.

How on earth will anyone manage to police that?

If fines or points deductions were imposed upon the clubs, all I need to do is to go along to any ground, other than Tynecastle, and shout the odds about an opposing player's colour or religion, or whatever, to put that club in the dock.  Oh, and how long would the New Firm last with their party songs?

It could be applied to all other clubs though as the Ugly Sisters are exempt from all sorts of punishment.

17 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

imo.

Very much so but Imo and I may be way way wrong but I genuinely believe in the last number of years what with Al Qaeda, Isil and the growing number of terrorist groups, and the majority of these groups being from the Middle East and Africa, this has also caused further divides between different groups where ethinticity is concerned 

there is a huge religious divide at the moment between people of different faiths and beliefs and I really really wonder if now it's  a case of some people taking skin colour to be a sign or further proof of whether that person is a so called terrorist, ethnic jihadist or terrorist sympathiser 

I hope to god I am wrong 

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

I think the fact that we do hear about it suggests it's less of an issue these days. It's become something that is shocking enough to be news which is a good thing. It's also good that there is an environment where someone like Raheem Sterling feels comfortable enough knowing he'll have the support of the majority to raise the issue and talk about his experiences.

18 hours ago, Locky said:

Racism and anti immigration go hand in hand, and it is widespread here in the UK. I'm not in favour of Scottish independence but when the indyref was taking place there were some very bigoted and racist views in England about Scottish people. It's everywhere unfortunately not just football. When you consider the thin line between banter and abuse at a highly charged football match then it can be a fine line between that and racism, and shouldn't be all that surprising when it appears. Our club has acted quickly in dealing with the latest incident and hopefully others will to.