Top Equal

Jamboscanbevicius

Jamboscanbevicius

Beat Livi on Friday night and we are equal with Celtic at the top of the table (admittedly second on goal difference by some distance).

Considering the horrendous injuries, and two months of awful form, that would be a great achievement at mid December!

Hackney Hearts
1 minute ago, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Beat Livi on Friday night and we are equal with Celtic at the top of the table (admittedly second on goal difference by some distance).

As I just said on the other thread, we just need a 24 goal win on Friday.

I'm going for 26-2.   (5-1 at half-time)

avhudtheteeshirt

I said on match thread yesterday, if decisions had gone for us instead of against in the Rangers and St Johnstone games, we would already be up with Celtic???

They say its just the rub of the green, but we seem to land in S**t more than anything else!!!!!

41 minutes ago, Hackney Hearts said:

As I just said on the other thread, we just need a 24 goal win on Friday.

I'm going for 26-2.   (5-1 at half-time)

It’s not St Mirren v Celtic. 

Jamboscanbevicius

Admittedly there a few games in hand to

be played out, but the fact we could be up there by the end of the week just shows that we are going well and made massive progress since last season!

It’s easy to forget this when we’re on a poor run like the last few matches, but generally I’m really enjoying this season.

Edited by Jamboscanbevicius

Absolutely. It's incredible that we have managed to keep within touching distance at the top, despite the injuries and poor decisions that robbed us of our form. It's a good job we made hay when the sun was shining. With Berra back and Naismith nearly back, we are going to get stronger. January becomes absolutely imperative now though and we have to hope that Vanacek is a good forward at our level. Celtic, Rangers and Kilmarnock, and every other team in this league are going drop points all over the shop between now and the end of the season, as they have done up until this point. We really need to strengthen in January, as this is still an opportunity to do something special this season, and the thought of us looking back and thinking "what if"...

I'd be bringing in a Milinkovic type live-wire player, and getting Keena back in the squad. I'd also be looking at another option between CF and midfield in case Naismith gets injured again. We have to have a plan B in the attacking mid/#10 position, or have an effective alternative way of playing and winning.

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

Livi are tough cookies, we’ll need to play well and that pitch is a leveller for them.

it’s a shame we got cheated out of 3 points in our previous games or we would still be in a really good position to challenge. A win v Livi keeps us in there but Celtic have the games in hand and are on fire at the moment. 

Still, we’ve got Livi, Hamilton, Aberdeen and Skivs before winter break? Win this and with Naisy back for Aberdeen & Hibs, 12 points is possible. Then after the break we’ll be at full strength to go on another long winning run and see where that takes us. 

9 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Absolutely. It's incredible that we have managed to keep within touching distance at the top, despite the injuries and poor decisions that robbed us of our form. It's a good job we made hay when the sun was shining. With Berra back and Naismith nearly back, we are going to get stronger. January becomes absolutely imperative now though and we have to hope that Vanacek is a good forward at our level. Celtic, Rangers and Kilmarnock, and every other team in this league are going drop points all over the shop between now and the end of the season, as they have done up until this point. We really need to strengthen in January, as this is still an opportunity to do something special this season, and the thought of us looking back and thinking "what if"... I'd be bringing in a Milinkovic type live-wire player, and getting Keena back in the squad. I'd also be looking another option between CF and midfield in case Naismith gets injured again. We have to have a plan B in the attacking mid/#10 position, or have an effective alternative way of playing and winning.

Aye, if we can bring in at least 1 quality wide man plus big Van, Naisy back, Uche back we’ll be ripping this league up for shite paper once more. 

Just now, Cruyff Turn said:

Aye, if we can bring in at least 1 quality wide man plus big Van, Naisy back, Uche back we’ll be ripping this league up for shite paper once more. 

Indeed.

Fozzyonthefence
41 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

Critical that the OF continue to drop points.

I think they will.

Rangers will continue to drop lots of points away from home, Celtic won’t.  We’ve probably already lost too many games to challenge for the title and we’ll lose lots more.  A chase for 3rd place or possibly even 2nd is more realistic, Celtic are streets ahead of everyone else.

9 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

Rangers will continue to drop lots of points away from home, Celtic won’t.  We’ve probably already lost too many games to challenge for the title and we’ll lose lots more.  A chase for 3rd place or possibly even 2nd is more realistic, Celtic are streets ahead of everyone else.

I honestly think Celtic will drop more points. I’m convinced of it. They will hand out a few drubbings too of course, but they will drop points to teams who they are better than along the way too.

Special Agent Dale Cooper
25 minutes ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

This.

We're only going to improve. We've went through the worst possible period and we're a few points off the top. Naismith to come back, Vanecek to come in (and who knows who else?) and Souttar and Uche to come back for the final run in. 

If Vanecek hits the ground running we could still put in a good challenge. 

(Fully expect the huns to spend a lot, as will celtic)

We're surely not back to talking about challenging for the title again are we? Even without injuries, our squad is nowhere near good enough for that. The OF will be well clear in 1st and 2nd come the end of the season. However, we are more than capable of challenging for 3rd, although there are at least 4 teams equally as capable of making that challenge. It's hard to separate any of the finishing positions from 3rd - 7th.

1 hour ago, Fozzyonthefence said:

We’re at home to Dundee & St Johnstone first two games after the break so a good chance to get off to a flier. 

Important that we take 9 or 10 points from our next 4 games. 

It will be Livingston’s 3rd game in 6 days when they play us on Friday and Aberdeen be playing their third game In 7 before we play them on the 22nd, so hopefully we can take advantage of that. 

We wont win the league but should do enough for a European spot. 

Edited by Rudolf

Dont disagree but we lost 5 critical players for lengthy periods.  If something similar was to happen to them, who knows what might happen.

Because they've already lost and drawn a good few games the league is more open than it has been for years.  Celtic's to lose though.

12 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We're surely not back to talking about challenging for the title again are we? Even without injuries, our squad is nowhere near good enough for that. The OF will be well clear in 1st and 2nd come the end of the season. However, we are more than capable of challenging for 3rd, although there are at least 4 teams equally as capable of making that challenge. It's hard to separate any of the finishing positions from 3rd - 7th.

Celtic I expect will pull away. Rangers seem to split opinion on here. I personally don't think they are any better than the rest of the chasing pack. Away form certainly suggests so. 49k season ticket holders ensures a partisan home crowd hence why their home form is so good. A packed tynie can has seen us pretty much replicate that though. With injuries out the way and a couple of good results again there's no reason why we can't push for 2nd IMO

Have to agree, Celtics Squad looks very strong now with their injury list clearing up and Christie coming onto a game. I still think top 4 will be a fight. Aberdeen and StJohnstone had poor starts to the season yet are still in there and Kilmarnock will be there or there abouts. Rangers will still be favorite for second, depending on what they bring in during the january window.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

We never stopped Enzo. Those of us with a plucky spirit anyway

s-club-7-gif.gif?w=1000

. ?

Edited by Glib and Shameless Crier

I'm backing Hearts to win the league Enzo.  Of course I am.  I always do.  I've been right twice and close several other times.

Did you know that Hibs haven't even managed 2nd for something like 45 years?

Huns have Hibs twice and Celtic in the next 3 weeks

I can safely say they will not get 9 points

Edited by i8hibsh

55 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

We never stopped Enzo. Those of us with a plucky spirit anyway

s-club-7-gif.gif?w=1000

. ?

And I am convinced every Friday Glib, honestly!, that my Euromiilions ticket will hit the jackpot! 

46 minutes ago, Kiwidoug said:

I'm backing Hearts to win the league Enzo.  Of course I am.  I always do.  I've been right twice and close several other times.

Did you know that Hibs haven't even managed 2nd for something like 45 years?

Don't worry about Hibs Doug, this is about our chances of success.

45 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Huns have Hibs twice and Celtic in the next 3 weeks

I can safely say they will not get 9 points

Think not?They have a certain 6 from the losers and taking 3 from Celtic would not surprise me it's more than time they played to win against them.At least I hope so we need it to happen.

Jamboscanbevicius

Why, when we are only 3 points off the top of the table would we throw the towel in?

Of course we are all (well... mostly) realistic enough to know that Celtic are huge favourites. But remember, they were huge favourites at the start of the season too. It's Dec and we are in the mix. If this is not what it's all about then I don't know what is!

I can't find week by week tables online, but would be interesting to see the table at mid Dec in 2005/06.

Celtic have 2 games in hand, are 3pts ahead and have a +24 goal difference advantage over us. Neither Hearts nor anybody will be close to them by the end of the season. Rangers will be 2nd as much because of the others inability to show enough consistency as because they are particularly good - they aren't!  After that its wide open between several teams and Hearts certainly have a chance to compete for 3rd given the hope has to be we will look a much better team than we have over the last 6 weeks into the new year. 

Bazzas right boot
6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Absolutely. It's incredible that we have managed to keep within touching distance at the top, despite the injuries and poor decisions that robbed us of our form. It's a good job we made hay when the sun was shining. With Berra back and Naismith nearly back, we are going to get stronger. January becomes absolutely imperative now though and we have to hope that Vanacek is a good forward at our level. Celtic, Rangers and Kilmarnock, and every other team in this league are going drop points all over the shop between now and the end of the season, as they have done up until this point. We really need to strengthen in January, as this is still an opportunity to do something special this season, and the thought of us looking back and thinking "what if"...

I'd be bringing in a Milinkovic type live-wire player, and getting Keena back in the squad. I'd also be looking at another option between CF and midfield in case Naismith gets injured again. We have to have a plan B in the attacking mid/#10 position, or have an effective alternative way of playing and winning.

Think celtic will be about ten points clear by the break I reckon. 

2nd is up for grabs tho. 

9 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

First rate post.  If even we don't think we can do well with all the resources at our disposal we might as well pack it all in.

Celtic might run away with it but let's not just throw in the towel.

4 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

First rate post.  If even we don't think we can do well with all the resources at our disposal we might as well pack it all in.

Celtic might run away with it but let's not just throw in the towel.

Definitely. It’s a cracking season so far and until we are arthmetically out of the running, I ain’t giving up on the big prize. 

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Definitely. It’s a cracking season so far and until we are arthmetically out of the running, I ain’t giving up on the big prize. 

Definitely , it’s a been bit difficult recently with the injuries and poor decisions but Saturday was a massive win no matter how ugly it was . I’d take the exact same on Friday an absolute grinding 1-0 will suit me . We never know Celtic might falter and if we’re there or there abouts ???

Celtic will have 3 games in hand, so add at least 7 to their total. Infact if the teams around us win their games in hand (I think they are all v bottom 6 teams) we will be 4th or even 5th if we do not win I think. Shanner of a thread. 

Edited by i8hibsh

Absolutely right .. it's natural to focus on the last 2 months only and keep playing it in ur head if we hadn't had the injuries where would we be 

On the other hand and rather than get all despondent we are only 3 points from top 

there is a lot to look forward to - once the players are back normal service I'm sure will resume ... uche was single handedly putting the fear of death in defences, surrounded by naisy who I firmly believe is one of the best attackers in the league along with Maclean and the Czech coming in I can see us having one of the most potent strike forces in the league and in dunne soapy and Berra one of the tightest defences 

really genuinely feeling positive about the rest of the season .. we are building blocks at the moment ... we have a load of talent at our disposal and I would much rather be where we are now than where we are last season 

doesn't matter how we play on Friday .. don't give a shit .. if we get 3 points that dressing room will be brimming with confidence again and u can bet that Berra and the like will keep it like that 

On ‎09‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 16:01, Jamboscanbevicius said:

Considering the horrendous injuries, and two months of awful form, that would be a great achievement at mid December!

Totally agree - it will be a real tough one against 'robust' opponents on a horrendous plastic pitch. A grinding 1-0 will do splendidly.

Jeez how far in front would we have been if Uche and Naismith had remained fit!!

Would be very pleasantly surprised if we came away from visits to almondvale and Pittodrie with maximum points, reckon we'll stuff Hamilton and hibs but I expect us to lose one of these games and draw the other 

1 hour ago, BigAlim said:

Would be very pleasantly surprised if we came away from visits to almondvale and Pittodrie with maximum points, reckon we'll stuff Hamilton and hibs but I expect us to lose one of these games and draw the other 

I fancy Pittodrie more than Almondvale.  We will/should have Naismith back for Pittodrie.  We will struggle in Livi I fear.

Fixtures for the top 5 teams to the split are ;

Celtic

Hibs (a)

Motherwell (h)

Dundee (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Rangers (a)

Rangers

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone (a)

Hibs (h)

Celtic (h)

Kilmarnock

Dundee (h)

Hamilton (a)

Motherwell (a)

St Mirren (h)

Hearts

Livingston (a)

Aberdeen (a)

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone

Motherwell (h)

Rangers (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (a)

There are no easy games but Kilmarnocks fixture list looks on paper the easiest by some way. They play all 4 bottom teams.

9 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Celtic

Hibs (a)

Motherwell (h)

Dundee (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Rangers (a)

Rangers

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone (a)

Hibs (h)

Celtic (h)

Kilmarnock

Dundee (h)

Hamilton (a)

Motherwell (a)

St Mirren (h)

Hearts

Livingston (a)

Aberdeen (a)

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone

Motherwell (h)

Rangers (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (a)

There are no easy games but Kilmarnocks fixture list looks on paper the easiest by some way. They play all 4 bottom teams.

What is likely is not one team will get close to maximum points out of all that (not even Celtic), such is the competition level this year.

17 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Celtic

Hibs (a)

Motherwell (h)

Dundee (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Rangers (a)

Rangers

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone (a)

Hibs (h)

Celtic (h)

Kilmarnock

Dundee (h)

Hamilton (a)

Motherwell (a)

St Mirren (h)

Hearts

Livingston (a)

Aberdeen (a)

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone

Motherwell (h)

Rangers (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (a)

Think Aberdeen have a couple of games in hand too

Would we rather hibs, Aberdeen and motherwell did us some favours and made the table one bad result away from bottom six? Or would we prefer the top four to run away from the pack and give us breathing space going into the new year? 

Edited by BigAlim

21 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Celtic

Hibs (a)

Motherwell (h)

Dundee (h)

Aberdeen (a)

Rangers (a)

Rangers

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone (a)

Hibs (h)

Celtic (h)

Kilmarnock

Dundee (h)

Hamilton (a)

Motherwell (a)

St Mirren (h)

Hearts

Livingston (a)

Aberdeen (a)

Hamilton (h)

Hibs (a)

St Johnstone

Motherwell (h)

Rangers (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (a)

Rangers and Celtic could easily drop 4 points each at least there. We need to capitalise.

19 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Also (out of curiosity)

Hibs

Celtic (h)

Rangers (h)

Livingston (h)

Rangers(a)

Hearts (h)

I hope they take points off Celtic and Rangers.

22 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Think Aberdeen have a couple of games in hand too

Would we rather hibs, Aberdeen and motherwell did us some favours and made the table one bad result away from bottom six? Or would we prefer the top four to run away from the pack and give us breathing space going into the new year? 

Yes they have 2 games in hand over us, first one is tonight against Livingston at home.

There fixtures are ;

Aberdeen

Livingston (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (h)

Hearts (h)

Celtic (h)

Livingston (a)

Some amount of homes between Sat there and the end of the month, park will be like a beach again by the end of December.

3 minutes ago, 8skacel8 said:

Yes they have 2 games in hand over us, first one is tonight against Livingston at home.

There fixtures are ;

Aberdeen

Livingston (h)

St Mirren (a)

Dundee (h)

Hearts (h)

Celtic (h)

Livingston (a)

Some amount of homes between Sat there and the end of the month, park will be like a beach again by the end of December.

They’ve got 3 games before they play us. 

We’ve got 1. Must nullify the home advantage somewhat. 

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

Also (out of curiosity)

Hibs

Celtic (h)

Rangers (h)

Livingston (h)

Rangers(a)

Hearts (h)

Hibs won’t get much out of that 

1 hour ago, highlandjambo3 said:

Hibs won’t get much out of that 

Other than a few gubbings hopefully. 

I’d take a couple of draws in the Sevco games though.