Willie collum

Selkirkhmfc1874

3 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

In last 8 hearts games he's refereed we've won 8

Sre you sure mate. Thought he was ref against Septic at Murrayfield

Edited by ollie2004
Typo

He's had some absolute mairs in the past with us and I genuinely thought he had it In for us ... in the past he was the last referee I wanted reffing our games but now he is one of the first I would look for 

puts bobby madden and the likes to shame - changed days indeed 

Rudi Hates Hibees
Just now, Hearts1975 said:

He's had some absolute mairs in the past with us and I genuinely thought he had it In for us ... in the past he was the last referee I wanted reffing our games but now he is one of the first I would look for 

I’m the same. Collum is still a shite ref but not quite as shite as Madden or Beaton. 

Somehow it it feels a bit better hearing it’s him rather than the others taking charge of our games. 

Dagger Is Back

Reffed the semi final.Mans a sneaky, devious rat. His performance depends on the opposition/strategic importance of the match

Selkirkhmfc1874
11 minutes ago, ollie2004 said:

Sre you sure mate. Thought he was ref against Septic at Murrayfield

Sorry should've said last 8 league games

1 minute ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Reffed the semi final.Mans a sneaky, devious rat. His performance depends on the opposition/strategic importance of the match

Lol that's exactly what I thought of him but as said I do think he has changed a wee bit toward us with recent games 

This might just be a reflection of the standard of referees we have in our game nowadays or maybe he is giving us a little more respect as we have pumped  his team on a few occasions in recent times 

Seymour M Hersh

Collum was poor yesterday letting, Main in particular, away with foul after foul. Didn't do anything majorly bad but still a poor performance.

I think he has improved since he's been doing European games. Perhaps he feels that it gives him the profile and respect that he used to only get by asserting his authority by waving cards? It doesn't feel like he feels driven to make games about him quite so much anymore.

Bazzas right boot
4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Collum was poor yesterday letting, Main in particular, away with foul after foul. Didn't do anything majorly bad but still a poor performance.

Nah, that's being petty. 

No one's perfect. 

Dikamona could easily have been done for the same. 

No need tho, he reffered it like it should be, didn't give cards out for silly things and let the teams battle it out. 

He's actually OK when not being the star,  noticed that for a few years now, although when he has a bad day it tends to be a holocaust. He doesn't do things by half. 

Yesterday, pretty much as good as you can be for a ref. 

Reminded me of the WC refs, where they let allot of things go without showing a card. As it should be. 

Fans shout for cards all the time now, worse than the players ?

Linesman at wheatfield could spot an offside too. Happy days. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Nah, that's being petty. 

No one's perfect. 

Dikamona could easily have been done for the same. 

No need tho, he reffered it like it should be, didn't give cards out for silly things and let the teams battle it out. 

He's actually OK when not being the star,  noticed that for a few years now, although when he has a bad day it tends to be a holocaust. He doesn't do things by half. 

Yesterday, pretty much as good as you can be for a ref. 

Reminded me of the WC refs, where they let allot of things go without showing a card. As it should be. 

Fans shout for cards all the time now, worse than the players ?

Linesman at wheatfield could spot an offside too. Happy days. 

Persistent fouling he should have had a yellow then the assault on Haring should have been the 2nd. Dikamona did would but was equally founded against. 

I thought he was cleverly chosen for yesterday's game, obviously consulting the linesman for offsides and generally giving nothing that may or may not have been controversial.

A very clever appointment.

Bazzas right boot
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Persistent fouling he should have had a yellow then the assault on Haring should have been the 2nd. Dikamona did would but was equally founded against. 

As I say, fans want cards for everything. 

He done well. Let the game flow where possible, let it be a man's game, never gave out silly cards and was pretty fair both ways. 

The only bad tackle was on Djoum, he played advantage then booked the boy- very good refereeing. 

Reminded me of the WC refs, no need to throw yellow cards about. 

Boy done well, in fact very well. ?

Best refereeing performance I've seen in Scotland for a while. 

43 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

This. 

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

He done well. Let the game flow where possible, let it be a man's game, never gave out silly cards and was pretty fair both ways. 

The only bad tackle was on Djoum, he played advantage then booked the boy- very good refereeing. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree then.  I thought he was poor as did everyone around me.

11 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

I thought he was cleverly chosen for yesterday's game, obviously consulting the linesman for offsides and generally giving nothing that may or may not have been controversial.

A very clever appointment.

My thoughts also. Although when was he appointed for this game? Either way they needed someone who could get through the game without controversy. Thankfully for him the game was one of the worst in recent memory and virtually nothing happened, period.

Bazzas right boot
55 minutes ago, Hearts1975 said:

When he's bad, you know about it.

1 hour ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

pretty much how I saw it. A greatly improved ref since Euro16 and the best in Scotland by a mile

Edited by maroonsgotop

A few years ago he was dishing out red cards like confetti.  That was getting him criticising comments when refereeing big matches in Europe.

Nowadays he is fairly decent if you aren't playing either of the old firm.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Not sure Collum has necessarily got better  (see pen awarded in the semi final) it’s just the others around him have got even poorer.

on a side note did make me laugh Gowser’s interview he gave backchat to Collum “God knows how you get to ref Champions League games” Collum straight back “Aye and how did you get to play at a World Cup” :lol: 

I thought Collum was decent yesterday. Yes he could, and maybe should, have booked Main for persistent fouling but tbh I don't mind if refs are at least consistent across the two teams on that one. I thought he refffed a lot better because he didn't rush into decisions and cards but just took a wee moment to consider. Compare that with that red he flashed Callum Paterson v Hamilton back in the day. He could have done himself a favour that day too by slowing down and engaging his brain.

3 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Agree, surprised there such a love in for him on this thread, but suppose this is because the other refs are even worse

FFS. Why highlight this? Some things are best left unspoken.

Craig Thompson has not given us a single decision since 2012 and I put that down, at least in part, to some Hearts fans joking that he is a Jambo. 

Collum had an average game yesterday. Let's face it, fans moan about refs and decisions after every game and yesterday was no exception but he managed to go through 90 minutes without making any major blunders. I'd take him ahead of most of the rest.

I never imagined that I'd ever type that!

He's better than the rest but the bar is basically on the ground so its not like it could be much lower. 

Call me cynical but I doubt he was making a controversial call that game unless it was clear as day. Any more dubious decisions would have sent Levein into a media tailspin that would have put the refs under even more pressure. 

For someone so quick to get the cards out he was very restrained yesterday which kinda feeds into my view in the above point. 

He isn't immune from making a complete arse of stuff but generally he's quite good and has actually become better and even more reasonable.

Not sure what he was playing at in that recent Rangers match with the Candeilas red card.     They seem to be a bit angry at him.     Then again,    they think everything including the weather is out to get them.     

Semi final turned into the 'Willie Collum' show after 1 minute.  He booked McLean for nothing to ensure he was quiet for the whole game.  Got worse after that.

To be fair we were playing his boyhood heroes!

4 hours ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

I agree that yesterday was a fairly competent performance from him. But I have to disagree with you re Main. I'm not desperate for cards but I started taking count after about 15 minutes of mains fouls and he was well into double figures, I'm sorry but with anyone else (bar wee silly Alfredo) that's a yellow at least 

Collum on the whole was ok yesterday. Had we been playing septic our card count would've been astronomical.

Edited by Marvin

I’m probably one of Collum’s biggest critics and I thought he had a good game yesterday obviously he could have booked Main for persistent fouling but none of them was a bad foul . The booking of McHugh was good refereeing ?

alwaysthereinspirit
5 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

This. He just wasn’t as bad as normal. That certainly doesn’t give him a pass.