Michael Smith.

been here before

been here before

With the exception of one momemt when he was caught in possession it was another top drawer performance today.

Nothing flash, nothing showy he just does the basics very well week in and week out. Probably one of our most underated and least recognised players when it comes to plaudits.

Seldom less than a 7 or 8.

My player of the season so far.

Wouldn’t quite say player of the season for me but he has been good. Extremely consistent.  Contract extension needed, 1 year deal with an option with an additional year 

He is very dependable. We'd be screwed given our injury situation without his versatility.

That ball over the top in the first half that he played out to Mitchell was delightful (no doubt Sportscene will leave it out).

Edited by kila

You need someone like smith in your team. Will be one of the manager’s favs cos he gives a solid performance week in week out. Guys like him allow the more skilful players to shine - never underestimate mr reliable! 

Marooned Abroad

Not every player can be a star. Smith is someone we can rely on week after week and we should tie him up for another 3 years!

Every team needs a player like Smith. I think he has been a excellent for us. As mentioned, he is a 7 or 8 most weeks, and a player like that is invaluable. He. Can play across the whole defence, and would make a solid defensive midfielder as well because he is so tidy on the ball.

He just never lets us down, so all this talk of not offering him a contract because of Godinho and Brandon. He’s streets ahead of them.

The_razors_edge

His cross field ping to Mitchell in the first half was outstanding (as was Mitchell’s touch tbf). Thought he was our best player today.

I've said recently that I didn't think I could see him in a league winning team but he really was good today, and not for the first time in that position. 

Has improved massively on last season. Usually reliable defensively but has added an attacking threat this year (subdued a bit in the last few games granted)

Naismith aside, for me the best player so far this season.

I think we are seeing a Smith now who is confident in his own ability and now as a result has a bit swagger about him. 

19 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

He does seem comfortable at centre half 

1 minute ago, Bighenry said:

He was brilliant today. A wee bit taller and I reckon he could play centre half 

He doesn't need to be taller to play CH. Wins his fair share of headers and for someone playing 'out of position' he played very well today. IIRC he also played CH in the 4-0 win v Celtic last season.

Mr Dependable!

Smith is a very consistent player. A real 7/10 every week. Never does anything superb but knows his station and does it well.

Has anyone heard if he has signed the new contract yet or still in talks ? 

Would like him to stay - definitely - the sweeper role suits him - good option when playing against 2 strikers and having 2 defenders in front of him - he reads the game well 

pettigrewsstylist
13 hours ago, been here before said:

With the exception of one momemt when he was caught in possession it was another top drawer performance today.

Nothing flash, nothing showy he just does the basics very well week in and week out. Probably one of our most underated and least recognised players when it comes to plaudits.

Not a fan of the lads abilities earlier on this season. Have to say however since the going got tough he has stepped up and become very consistent. Still think he lets too many crosses in though from a defensive perspective. Countered by what he brings to our attacking side though. 

He was asked to play in the Souttar role yesterday and be the ball playing centre half, i thought with the exception of one mistake near the end he was superb. His distribution was great and he is an extremely consistant performer for us.

19 minutes ago, jambo3tevie said:

He was asked to play in the Souttar role yesterday and be the ball playing centre half, i thought with the exception of one mistake near the end he was superb. His distribution was great and he is an extremely consistant performer for us.

Constant moaning about him from behind me drives me nuts . 

Of course hes not perfect , we can't afford perfect .

Links well with Morrison , good distribution , gives 100% etc etc . Oh and a decent left foot too 

Brick Tamland

I think he has been a terrific signing for us, great attitude, reads the game well, has a lot of composure and is versatile.  Quality player who I would like to see sign for a few years longer. 

AllyjamboDerbyshire

If only Michael Smith was our worst player, then we'd have some team on the pitch! Yesterday's game was a perfect example of where the Michael Smith type players are so vital to the team, nobody shining, but he does his job to the same level as he would if everyone else was on top form and winning the game easily.

Thunderstruck

As we approach the first anniversary of the utter demolition of Celtic to end their unbeaten run, we should remember the significant part that Michael Smith played in that victory. His performance in the centre of the defence was as important as the goals but, for him, it was not unusual.

Reliable, quick and strong, he reads the game very well and has been a key part of our defence over the past couple of seasons. Yes, he can have a daft moment or an off-game but I struggle to see how any rational observer could suggest that he isn’t a very valuable part of our squad. 

Ministry of Football
20 hours ago, been here before said:

Very seldom gets above 6 in my opinion, however he is very seldom less than 6 as well.

Outstanding yesterday. 

Struggles badly against quick and pacy wingers which will always be his downfall. 

Seems to be improving. Played well today. Would like to see his contract sorted out with a years extension. Will need him next season I would think. 

2 hours ago, Thunderstruck said:

As we approach the first anniversary of the utter demolition of Celtic to end their unbeaten run, we should remember the significant part that Michael Smith played in that victory. His performance in the centre of the defence was as important as the goals but, for him, it was not unusual.

Reliable, quick and strong, he reads the game very well and has been a key part of our defence over the past couple of seasons. Yes, he can have a daft moment or an off-game but I struggle to see how any rational observer could suggest that he isn’t a very valuable part of our squad. 

The answer is in the question.