Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks

Janbo1874

Салатные палочки

Sad news. Only 63. Loved the Buzzcocks during my punk phase. In fact this was playing on my Spotify on the way home from work. 

Very sad.   Not just that Pete Shelley has died but also for the further realisation that many of the era are of that age and will inevitably cease touring (if they still are) and eventually go the way of Pete Shelley.      When some of my lifelong music icons die I think I'll be as grief stricken as a family member going.

'Punk' was a term that came to 'punk rock' a little later but the bands of the 1976 era were known initially as 'the new wave'.      I subscribe to the belief that true punk bands were a combination of the music,   image and attitude.     To that end,   I never categorised The Buzzcocks as punk.    Nor arguably The Clash for that matter.     Not in the same way as The Ramones,   The Sex Pistols or The Damned.     The Buzzcocks were certainly the best of the non-London bands of the genre.    They were probably better players at that time than the London trinity.

Салатные палочки
13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Very sad.   Not just that Pete Shelley has died but also for the further realisation that many of the era are of that age and will inevitably cease touring (if they still are) and eventually go the way of Pete Shelley.      When some of my lifelong music icons die I think I'll be as grief stricken as a family member going.

'Punk' was a term that came to 'punk rock' a little later but the bands of the 1976 era were known initially as 'the new wave'.      I subscribe to the belief that true punk bands were a combination of the music,   image and attitude.     To that end,   I never categorised The Buzzcocks as punk.    Nor arguably The Clash for that matter.     Not in the same way as The Ramones,   The Sex Pistols or The Damned.     The Buzzcocks were certainly the best of the non-London bands of the genre.    They were probably better players at that time than the London trinity.

I remember seeing them described as a Mod band before. They were definitely smarter looking than the other bands around at that time and Shelley did have a Mod haircut. Suppose their music was more pop than punk. Definitely tighter. 

Edited by Salad Fingers

Just now, Salad Fingers said:

I remember seeing them deceived as a Mod band before. They were definitely smarter looking than the other bands around at that time and Shelley did have a Mod haircut. Suppose their music was more pop than punk. Definitely tighter. 

Yes.   There were distinct differences between all of the better known bands,  later categorised in a genre.    None of them set out to create a new music genre in the first place.     They had their own influences and wanted to play rock music but generally quite fast and loud.     Punk as a term was very short lived in terms of it's relevance.    The Pistols lasted 5 minutes.    The Clash were very political which was never a punk attribute.    The Damned evolved musically from the word-go and every reincanation.     

Guess The Crowd
46 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Loved them to bits. This was my favourite 

Edited by Guess The Crowd

Very sad news. Never saw them live either which is a regret.

Agree with Vic on assessment, always have them down as a new wave pop band myself, though categorisation and genre labelling I’ve always found a bit weird. 

N Lincs Jambo
3 hours ago, Janbo1874 said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-46476369

I remember seeing them in the Odeon with Joy Division supporting.

Some of the best tunes of my youth.

Very sad news indeed. I was at that gig too. Amazing to think that the gig that Pete Shelley arranged for the Sex Pistols at Manchester's Lesser Free Trade Hall in 76 with an audience of about 30 would end up with so many of the audience forming bands that would become part of the youth scene of the late 70s/80s/90s such as Buzzcocks, Magazine, Joy Division/New Order, The Smiths, The Fall and others too.

That's 2 of that audience of 30 gone this year. RIP Pete Shelley and Mark E Smith.

Great band and definitely PUNK

Was at the Odeon gig and through the Cocks got into magazine and joy division amongst others 

His solo stuff was good as well if a bit under the radar

11 hours ago, Salad Fingers said:

I remember seeing them described as a Mod band before. They were definitely smarter looking than the other bands around at that time and Shelley did have a Mod haircut. Suppose their music was more pop than punk. Definitely tighter. 

Great thing about punk was there was no barriers and no dress code. Just great music and a **** you attitude which prevails today.

Saw them three times at Glasgow Apollo, first time with Penetration and the Zones, second with Subway Sect and third with Joy Division. A couple of times in recent years.

Giants and a genius songwriter. Was lookingforward to the upcoming O2 show.

Gutted. A truly great band.

1 minute ago, the general said:

Their gig and Clouds with The Skids was one of the best I went to

Some amazing line ups back in the day, bud.

Салатные палочки

Radio 6 is great this morning, plenty of Buzzcocks tunes getting spun.  

Absolutely love The Buzzcocks. Really saddened to hear of Pete's death, and only 63!

Lots of top tunes already posted and they're all favourites of mine. Love this one though...

RIP, Pete! :(

R.I.P Genius 

I saw them at the Odo with Subway Sect. A great gig and the only disappointment was I never saw them with Joy Division. 

A great talent and a great band - sorry to hear of his passing.