Silly Christmas Traditions within your family

iantjambo

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

11 and 8.

But I'm never going to let them off with this tradition when they're in their 20s and 30s. They get cut out the will if they refuse.

Love it!  It's wee things like this that make a family Christmas special, and not just off the shelf clone thing.  On Hogmanay in our house, the new year gets 'toasted' in with sausages on a fork. My mum and dad used to buy sausages from the butcher at New Year, and it kind of grew out of that.

I'll maybe have to think of a new Christmas tradition. Family members looking in, beware.

2 hours ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I like this one, Debut4...

...but Der Kaiser's is is my favourite so far.

Carrying on from when I was a kid, my old man still arranges a selection of these in the Christmas tree every year.

71-kkj14KnL._SL1000_.jpg

What is the reason for the Christmas tree full of nazis? 

Jambo dans les Pyrenees

On the evening of the 23rd various family members will gather, out to the village pub.  Usually a lock in 2am job.  It’s just great to see most of them, I really get on with my 2 brothers in law , there’s also a couple of aunts and uncles who are now in their late 60’s and early 70’s that I love to catch up with.

My grandfather was Polish and came her during the war, so the 24th is when we have our main meal.  Old (Polish) family tradition is to go for a walk an hour before dusk with a hipflask or two (my grandfathers addition), spot the first star and then head home for dinner.  Still do this with my brother and sister and our cousins, have a wee toast the old man who who used to take us all out to do this when we were kids together.  I’d give pretty much all I own to do that with him one last time again.

Used to be the one day of the year, I'd go to the pub with my old man for a pint, prior to dinner. Cross Keys in those days was the only pub open on christmas day.

Later, married, my daughter, that tradition fell away.

Apologies, that wasn't a SILLY christmas tradition.

Edited by Jambothump
Meaning

Governor Tarkin
3 hours ago, Ray Gin said:

What is the reason for the Christmas tree full of nazis? 

When I was a kid the Wehrmacht had a secret base in the Christmas tree. The British commandos were behind the couch. Faither, in is eccentricity, has just carried it on.

It's not exclusively German soldiers in the tree nowadays mind. A Messerschmitt 109 is often accompanied by a couple of Hurricanes and a Lancaster bomber with half its tail missing and only one wing. It just depends which of mine and my brothers' old toys he can find lying about after the grandbairns have been round.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

Templeton Peck

When i was younger i never really liked gravy but so my granny did beetroot and red onion. I loved it. And always have replicated it since. 

13 hours ago, colinmaroon said:

Having the family for Christmas dinner!

With all the trimmings Col, or just as they come?

On 08/12/2018 at 06:27, ri Alban said:

The Radio times and TV times is mine. I've had them every year from about 1980. Maybe even before then.

Oor Wullie one year, The Broons the next, for me.

On 8 December 2018 at 05:27, ri Alban said:

The Radio times and TV times is mine. I've had them every year from about 1980. Maybe even before then.

Even in this day and age of much easier access to just about everything we still get the Radio Times at Christmas, it's tradition. ??❄️

I always remember people's anticipation prior to it hitting the shelves at the local paper shop.

Also, how I looked forward to the 'bumper' Christmas edition of Shoot magazine. 

As the shop assistant flicked through the big pile of pre ordered magazines and papers you waited with excitement on your name being said. ?

2 hours ago, Morgan said:

Oor Wullie one year, The Broons the next, for me.

iirc they used to alternate which one was published each year but now publish both

On 06/12/2018 at 16:08, Der Kaiser said:

The Christmas music playlist starts on shuffle mode and me and my boys decorate the tree......until Stop the Cavalry comes on. Then we March like soldiers around the house for the whole song, fake playing trumpets, wiggle our butts at the "Dubba Dubba dumm" bits and end with a salute.

It's feckin weird but it's my favourite Christmas thing.

do you have soldiers hats or toy rifles? if not you need to get some, make it a proper spectacle  

22 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

iirc they used to alternate which one was published each year but now publish both

I knew about the alternate publications, hence what I was saying to aussie, but didn’t know that they publish both now each year.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

Even in this day and age of much easier access to just about everything we still get the Radio Times at Christmas, it's tradition. ??❄️

I always remember people's anticipation prior to it hitting the shelves at the local paper shop.

Also, how I looked forward to the 'bumper' Christmas edition of Shoot magazine. 

As the shop assistant flicked through the big pile of pre ordered magazines and papers you waited with excitement on your name being said. ?

Hits the shops on Tuesday. (Yesterday in London):yas:

On 06/12/2018 at 16:08, Der Kaiser said:

The Christmas music playlist starts on shuffle mode and me and my boys decorate the tree......until Stop the Cavalry comes on. Then we March like soldiers around the house for the whole song, fake playing trumpets, wiggle our butts at the "Dubba Dubba dumm" bits and end with a salute.

It's feckin weird but it's my favourite Christmas thing.

Right. I have a few ****ing questions for you! This song just came on in my house and my 5 Yr old did this, even with the arse wiggling (although left out the salute). 

What the **** have you and my missus been up to?!? 

When I was a kid I always found a book on the doorstep on Xmas Eve from Santa/Persons unknown.

It's a tradition I've carried on with my daughter. She's home for Xmas from Canada this year and the book will be there.

Another favourite in the JH household is to drive to that mad house in Clermiston with the mega Xmas decs. Been doing that for at least 15 years

Салатные палочки

We were never a TV times family but we used to love when the TV listings pull out came in the Saturday Daily Record in early December. Me and my sister would sit with a highlighter and mark all programmes we wanted to watch. Would usually end up only her watching it as I had the attention span of a goldfish when I was younger. 

The White Cockade
On ‎08‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 05:27, ri Alban said:

aye I always buy the Christmas Radio Times as soon as it hits the shops

in the old days we used to go through it and mark all the programmes we wanted to watch

that was back when it was just BBC and ITV and you hadn't already seen the films on Sky already

In my memory the Christmas morning programmes were a lot better in those days but the fact

everybody has laptops and spend most of their time on the phones has totally changed things 

Back then your family spent most of the day together

Still love Christmas though still open our stockings before we get up

Open a few pressies then have cooked breakfast and then open the rest

go out for a wee walk and then start the cooking

have a few drinks and play games and go through everybody's presents

Phone my Mum then have Dinner, good bottle of wine, dessert wine with pudding

sit down and watch the tv Christmas specials eat more cake and mince pies and port

and always buy myself a bottle of advocaat

Love it all and it's all gone far too soon and back to work after New Year for the dreaded January and February

which genuinely depresses me every year

HamishMcGonagall

Going back about 13/14 years when I was in my early 20s, having my first Christmas with my now ex-partner, we bought a tree n the usual decorations, put it all up only to realise that we didn't have a star or angel for the top of the tree.  She had a golliwog teddy that she'd picked up one day at a wee antique type shop in North Berwick, more because we couldn't believe that they were still going around to find.  So with nothing else to put on the top of the tree, I jokingly sat the golliwog up there.  This turned into a Christmas tradition for us and although I'm no longer with her, I do know she still continues the tradition to this day.

*shouldn't need to be said but neither of us are racist whatsoever although no doubt there will be folk that disagree and say we must be. 

17 minutes ago, HamishMcGonagall said:

Going back about 13/14 years when I was in my early 20s, having my first Christmas with my now ex-partner, we bought a tree n the usual decorations, put it all up only to realise that we didn't have a star or angel for the top of the tree.  She had a golliwog teddy that she'd picked up one day at a wee antique type shop in North Berwick, more because we couldn't believe that they were still going around to find.  So with nothing else to put on the top of the tree, I jokingly sat the golliwog up there.  This turned into a Christmas tradition for us and although I'm no longer with her, I do know she still continues the tradition to this day.

*shouldn't need to be said but neither of us are racist whatsoever although no doubt there will be folk that disagree and say we must be. 

Released on bail after Saturday mate? :lol:

5 hours ago, Normthebarman said:

Right. I have a few ****ing questions for you! This song just came on in my house and my 5 Yr old did this, even with the arse wiggling (although left out the salute). 

It was only once.....did she say anything about me crying at the end.......cos she's lying.....

Oh....and we did the tree today and the dance. My eldest added some pelvic thrusts to his dance. I wasn't sure about it but I guess that's progress.....

I'm now picturing a JKB Christmas tree, covered with nazis, with a golliwog on top. I hope goose stepping doesn't get added to those Christmas dance moves. :D

The Real Maroonblood
4 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

I'm now picturing a JKB Christmas tree, covered with nazis, with a golliwog on top. I hope goose stepping doesn't get added to those Christmas dance moves. :D

Wearing lederhosen would add to the thrill.

• 2 weeks later...

My next tradition is usually to get Bevvy from about now on Boxing Day.  After being a good boy on Christmas Day. I think I'll give it a miss this year.

On 09/12/2018 at 17:22, Normthebarman said:

:lol:

Late contender for funniest post of the year. (need to read the one it quotes for the full picture)

maroonplatoon87

Radio Times for me.

When I delivered the Evening News as a 14 year old they would give the customers a free copy with their Friday edition before Christmas. I got paid extra for delivering them. One year they delivered one extra for me to deliver and I kept it. Highlighted all the films and shows i wanted to watch. Bought it and marked up it every year since. 

Love doing it even more now that I have a 7 year old. Love seeing what's coming on for her 

8 hours ago, maroonplatoon87 said:

Radio Times for me.

When I delivered the Evening News as a 14 year old they would give the customers a free copy with their Friday edition before Christmas. I got paid extra for delivering them. One year they delivered one extra for me to deliver and I kept it. Highlighted all the films and shows i wanted to watch. Bought it and marked up it every year since. 

Love doing it even more now that I have a 7 year old. Love seeing what's coming on for her 

Aye, no TiVo or such back when I was a laddie so your tv viewing had to be planned meticulously.

A pack of blank video tapes was also purchased so you could some stuff.