Silly Christmas Traditions within your family

iantjambo

20 odd years ago, while still living with my parents, I came home pished one night and for some reason I pulled a 2p piece out my pocket and put it in the branches of the Christmas tree.

My mum continued to put it on the tree through the years.

She bought a small velvet pouch a few years back and put that 2p into it and it now takes pride of place, hanging on her Christmas tree :)

Anyone else have any daft traditions like this?

Салатные палочки
7 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Getting drunk and arguing. 

This became a bit of a tradition with my ex. She would cook the dinner (lovely dinner btw) and open a bottle of wine while she was doing it. So by the time the dinner was finished she had put away a over a bottle of wine. More wine at dinner and by the time it was finished she had fallen out with us all. 

We have a very silly tradition, where I cook the Xmas dinner. We've even had Xmas dinner at other family member's homes, and I've still cooked. The last time I had an Xmas meal, not cooked by me, was in 1990.:seething: :seethe: :seething:

Wrong thread maybe? :D

9 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Getting drunk and arguing. 

1 hour ago, Salad Fingers said:

This became a bit of a tradition with my ex. She would cook the dinner (lovely dinner btw) and open a bottle of wine while she was doing it. So by the time the dinner was finished she had put away a over a bottle of wine. More wine at dinner and by the time it was finished she had fallen out with us all. 

25 minutes ago, Lemongrab said:

We have a very silly tradition, where I cook the Xmas dinner. We've even had Xmas dinner at other family member's homes, and I've still cooked. The last time I had an Xmas meal, not cooked by me, was in 1990.:seething: :seethe: :seething:

4 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

I have to buy gifts and pretend Jesus was a real thing.

I can see this turning into a Christmas seethe thread :lol:

I always buy my mum two packets of Thornton’s chocolate covered dinner mints. One for her to share and one for herself. I’m not sure exactly but think I’ve been doing this since the early 90s.

Additionally, the yearly price fluctuation provides a handy indicator of the rate of inflation with regards the consumer price index ?

Салатные палочки
10 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

:laugh: maybe years ago but I actually really enjoy Christmas now.  I mean it was good back then don't get me wrong, well up to a point.  Me and my daughter would have a laugh, play with her new toys, have a wee silly dance and sing on her karaoke machine.  But the ex just ruined it every time with her childish, drunken behaviour.  Thing about it was, her mum would be there and not say anything, I would be looking across the table thinking "why the **** are you not opening your mouth here?".  New Year's day would be the same.  Her mum would go to the bother of making a nice dinner and getting drink in for us and she would go and ruin it by getting pished and starting arguments.  Most of the time I would end up in the bedroom watching films with the wee one.  

These days it's much more laid back, my current partner is so laid back she's almost horizontal and it's a much more enjoyable Christmas.  Nice meal, few drinks, just chilled.  And with the baby here I doubt I'll even have a drink. Boxing Day is a lot more of a day for me as it's my son's birthday and my kids and relatives all come for the day and have a laugh and a drink.  I'm back at work on the Thursday this year anyway so will be calling time a bit earlier.    

32 minutes ago, iantjambo said:

My parents used to put a tree up in the house. A tree. An actual tree. In their living room. WTF.

1 hour ago, Lemongrab said:

Yes, I have that silly tradition but only for the last 15 years. The first time there was around 20 people but this year it will be 6 or 7.

I also have a silly tradition of driving from London to Edinburgh, picking my mum up and driving her back to London and then doing the same again on the 2nd January. In amongst all this silly traditional stuff I have to work. The only person who seems at all understanding of my role in this silly traditional stuff is my girlfriend. My mum never thanks me, my kids take it for granted and my friends think they are doing me a favour. Mind you I wouldn't have it any other way.

The Real Maroonblood
6 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Yes, I have that silly tradition but only for the last 15 years. The first time there was around 20 people but this year it will be 6 or 7.

I also have a silly tradition of driving from London to Edinburgh, picking my mum up and driving her back to London and then doing the same again on the 2nd January. In amongst all this silly traditional stuff I have to work. The only person who seems at all understanding of my role in this silly traditional stuff is my girlfriend. My mum never thanks me, my kids take it for granted and my friends think they are doing me a favour. Mind you I wouldn't have it any other way.

Dearie me.

Tell your Mum to get the train or aeroplane or has the umbilical cord still to be cut.

17 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Dearie me.

Tell your Mum to get the train or aeroplane or has the umbilical cord still to be cut.

She's 85 and has a disability...and nobody else will put up with her.

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

She's 85 and has a disability...and nobody else will put up with her.

I’m sure if she flew she would be looked after on the flight.

I know you don’t want sympathy but it must put a damper on things.

1 minute ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

I’m sure if she flew she would be looked after on the flight.

I know you don’t want sympathy but it must put a damper on things.

She's not allowed to fly. At times in our life we do things for our family and friends (If we have any humanity left  in us) and this is one of those times for me. I did say at the end I wouldn't have it any other way. One day I won't be able to do it and then I'm sure I will look back on these times with fondness and nostalgia. :santa2:

The Real Maroonblood
2 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

She's not allowed to fly. At times in our life we do things for our family and friends (If we have any humanity left  in us) and this is one of those times for me. I did say at the end I wouldn't have it any other way. One day I won't be able to do it and then I'm sure I will look back on these times with fondness and nostalgia. :santa2:

Anyway good luck with everything and I hope everything goes to plan.

Салатные палочки

Years ago, not long after my sister had started seeing my brother-in-law he was invited for his first Christmas dinner at my parents' house.  Not out of tradition, we usually had our dinner around the time the Queen is on.  He went to the toilet and I said, right as soon as the Queen starts, we stand up and put our hands on our hearts.  My dad, sister and gran thought this was hilarious but my mum wasn't too keen, not wanting to embarrass him. Out-voted, we all stood up when the national anthem came on.  Obviously he did as well, looking a bit embarrassed, he even took his wee paper crown off.  My sister, as usual, broke first and burst out laughing.  He didn't look too happy to be honest.  So, after that, any time the national anthem came on it was a case of "could you all please now rise for the national anthem".  

We have always bought Christmas tree bobbles and stockings with our pets names on them. Even though some have passed away they still get put up every year. We would feel guilty of we didnt. 

Our cat we have is trying to ruin our Christmas tree so the bobbles might not last much longer.

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Christmas music playlist starts on shuffle mode and me and my boys decorate the tree......until Stop the Cavalry comes on. Then we March like soldiers around the house for the whole song, fake playing trumpets, wiggle our butts at the "Dubba Dubba dumm" bits and end with a salute.

It's feckin weird but it's my favourite Christmas thing.

43 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

My mum gets me the Hearts calendar every year, no one else is allowed to buy it  

Same here, last year she got it signed by the team, I'm 41 !!!!!

Spitonastranger
6 minutes ago, bn jambo said:

Same here, last year she got it signed by the team, I'm 41 !!!!!

I'm 56, someone in my work bought me it one year for a secret Santa, we were relegated. :0 

alwaysthereinspirit
1 hour ago, inspector said:

I've been given the Broon's or Oor Wullie book every year since I was a wee boy. I'm 61 and still get it. Love it.

Same boat. 56. I'd be gutted if I didn't get it. That and a selection box.

The_razors_edge

We now have one where the wife and I cook xmas dinner every year and unfortunately I have to suffer the outlaws for the majority of the day :muggy:

We also do the Christmas Eve box for the kids - new jammies, a Christmas dvd for us to watch, goodies to eat etc etc

I get a bar of Pears soap from my mum every year. My granny used to give me a shoe box filled with little extras like sweeties, pencils, etc. And for some reason used to put a bar of soap in it. After she died my mum carried on the soap thing. 

Carl Fredrickson
1 hour ago, Der Kaiser said:

The Christmas music playlist starts on shuffle mode and me and my boys decorate the tree......until Stop the Cavalry comes on. Then we March like soldiers around the house for the whole song, fake playing trumpets, wiggle our butts at the "Dubba Dubba dumm" bits and end with a salute.

I like this one :)

Only day of the year we eat roast swan. One of mummies lackies pops round later and ****s a pig, then we throw things at the poor loitering in the Mall.

Good times :D

Carl Fredrickson
2 hours ago, Morgan said:

FTFY

:greggy:

The newer ones aint a patch on the old ones. I mind when I was wee my Dad would get a bar each Christmas and the lovely smell when he opened the wrapper ?

A few days before Christmas when I’ve finished up for the holidays, I always take a drive through my old scheme where I grew up.

When the kids were younger they’d come with me and I’d point out where all my mates lived, other family members and friends. 

Just childhood memories of great christmases. 

Sentimental git I am.  ?? ?

4 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

How old are the boys?  Please tell me they're in their 20s or 30s.

1 hour ago, Debut 4 said:

A few days before Christmas when I’ve finished up for the holidays, I always take a drive through my old scheme where I grew up.

When the kids were younger they’d come with me and I’d point out where all my mates lived, other family members and friends. 

Call me soft if you want Debut, but I think that’s a lovely wee story. :thumbsup:

Shanks said no

I will pretend to like the soup my mother in law makes having made the mistake of saying I loved it 30 years ago. If I don't have at least 2 bowls she will in true Mrs Doyle style force feed it to me.

We will distract our son and when he turns back to his plate it will have everyone's Brussel Sprouts on it, this has occured for 20 years.

My son and I will basically carry his mum home.

My girlfriend’s parents are split and the Dad hosts Christmas the weekend before. Weird traditions of “pre-Christmas-Christmas” include:

Each year is it a different theme and there is an old snow teddy penguin toy thing you  get as a prize. This year is game of thrones, last year was Gothmas (my Edward scissor hands costume won). Others have been worst thing you could find in a charity shop, lord of the rings and the Simpson’s but not an actual Simpson. 

There is a celebrity death list “competition” where each family member writes down who they think will pop their clogs and puts them in a sealed envelope. Whoever gets it right wins a porcelin caterpillar for the year. I killed Zaza Gabor it would seem because she passed a few days later (controversially I did not win). 

Her stepmum mum tells each person to bring cheese every year but doesn’t tell us that she’s already told the other 4 couples to bring cheese too. 5 cheese boards enough for 10 each it is. It’s happened 4 years in a row so far but we don’t seem to learn.. 

:santa: 

13 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

How old are the boys?  Please tell me they're in their 20s or 30s.

11 and 8.

But I'm never going to let them off with this tradition when they're in their 20s and 30s. They get cut out the will if they refuse.

For many years (not so much nowadays ) we'd have the tradition of going to good family friends for Xmas and they'd come to ours for New Year. It was great because we were all die hard Jambos and we'd all get well fed and pissed (or our Dads would). As a kid at the time it was particularly good because back then it was common for us to piss over the wee team. The festive parties we had were great, usually resulting in my dad tripping after drinking too much 151 Rum imported from the States. Happy days.

Edited by Marvin
not a silly tradition but thought it relevant for the topic

Салатные палочки
20 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

:laugh:

Governor Tarkin
16 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

I like this one, Debut4...

21 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

...but Der Kaiser's is is my favourite so far.

Carrying on from when I was a kid, my old man still arranges a selection of these in the Christmas tree every year.

71-kkj14KnL._SL1000_.jpg

Edited by Governor Tarkin

7 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I like this one, Debut4...

...but Der Kaiser's is is my favourite so far.

Carrying on from when I was a kid, my old man still arranges a selection of these in the Christmas tree every year.

71-kkj14KnL._SL1000_.jpg

??