What's up with our midfield

wattie exploited

Bazzas right boot
48 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

Our midfielders are amazing. It is the refs and injuries to our 2 best strikers and 2 best defenders that are at fault.

Considering we were first before what you state happened, you may have a point. 

?

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, DH1986 said:

We are just going to have to accept that until we get all the injured guys back we’re in for a tough ride.

CL created a team that was sitting top, scoring goals freely and playing some great stuff plus looked solid at the back.

When you lose the core reasons we were doing all the above it’s unrealistic to expect the same.

At this moment in time we cannot have a conveyor belt of ready made players all of the quality of the ones who are missing. 

This but sadly a few muppets fail to grasp it. Thick asf!

EastSideJambo
4 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

All I get from you is-

You are happy when we are doing poorly, let's you crack on with your CL stuff. 

You'll be gutted if we finish in top 3. 

Your bleating across multiple threads really is tiresome. 

I wasn't responding to you 

Like any Hearts fan, I hope we finish as high as possible.  I would be delighted if we finish top 3, contrary to your childish remark. Sadly I sense we have little chance of achieving that 

Is it not reasonable to ask why we still have such glaring deficiencies in the squad following the arrival of 19 new players. He went for quantity over quality and it's backfired. There are players not even getting a look in right now despite of form. Those types need cut loose because they are a waste of a wage. A wage bill being augmented by external non income based sources I might add 

Imagine how Steve Clarke would react if Bower told him he had another £1M to add to his wage bill.....

It took us to the heady heights of 6th so we really shouldn't grumble 

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I wasn't responding to you 

Like any Hearts fan, I hope we finish as high as possible.  I would be delighted if we finish top 3, contrary to your childish remark. Sadly I sense we have little chance of achieving that 

Is it not reasonable to ask why we still have such glaring deficiencies in the squad following the arrival of 19 new players. He went for quantity over quality and it's backfired. There are players not even getting a look in right now despite of form. Those types need cut loose because they are a waste of a wage. A wage bill being augmented by external non income based sources I might add 

Imagine how Steve Clarke would react if Bower told him he had another £1M to add to his wage bill.....

It took us to the heady heights of 6th so we really shouldn't grumble 

Completely ignoring the fact that we got to a semi and were top of the league before Injuries to 4 key players hit, including 3 captains. 

You're a bad apple with a clear agenda. 

EastSideJambo
9 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Completely ignoring the fact that we got to a semi and were top of the league before Injuries to 4 key players hit, including 3 captains. 

You're a bad apple with a clear agenda. 

I take exception to your closing remarks. I've got no "agenda" as you put it. I'm sick fed up of under performance and mediocrity and that's all we will amount to under this structure 

I'm not ignoring our start and that we got to a semi final. The latter generated much needed revenue although the event itself was a damp squib. The start was excellent and thankfully we got a number of points on the board - they were needed when you look at last 6 weeks. 

I'm not ignoring injuries either. What I'm saying is the squad has glaring issues even with a fully fit bunch to choose from. Naismith will clearly improve us when he is back. Let's not forget he's a player ordinarily we couldn't afford and it seems we have no plan to implement when he's unavailable 

If we were creating numerous chances I could see why we'd point repeatedly to injuries to Naismith and Uche.  The reality is we've are creating very little in game. Certainly very little from open play. I know that Wighton gets a lot of stick for instance , but has he had one good chance created for him since he arrived? 

Our general play is pedestrian and putrid. We just don't look a threat or attack with purpose. I'm not ignoring injuries, I just think they are being put forward as the solution to everything 

Bazzas right boot
46 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I take exception to your closing remarks. I've got no "agenda" as you put it. I'm sick fed up of under performance and mediocrity and that's all we will amount to under this structure 

I'm not ignoring our start and that we got to a semi final. The latter generated much needed revenue although the event itself was a damp squib. The start was excellent and thankfully we got a number of points on the board - they were needed when you look at last 6 weeks. 

I'm not ignoring injuries either. What I'm saying is the squad has glaring issues even with a fully fit bunch to choose from. Naismith will clearly improve us when he is back. Let's not forget he's a player ordinarily we couldn't afford and it seems we have no plan to implement when he's unavailable 

If we were creating numerous chances I could see why we'd point repeatedly to injuries to Naismith and Uche.  The reality is we've are creating very little in game. Certainly very little from open play. I know that Wighton gets a lot of stick for instance , but has he had one good chance created for him since he arrived? 

Our general play is pedestrian and putrid. We just don't look a threat or attack with purpose. I'm not ignoring injuries, I just think they are being put forward as the solution to everything 

No agenda... 

You've completely ignored injuries as our play and results were very good up until then. 

You ignore the form with a full side ( minus Berra and Ulche for the most part) and go on to describe us as mediocre, despite a great start. 

So, by ignoring our start, our injuries then hammering on about mediocrity and putrid play you do clearly have an agenda. 

If you didn't, you'd be balanced and not like a rabid dog slavering the same shite across multiple threads. 

You're a shit stirrer with a clear agenda against our manager. 

EastSideJambo
2 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

No agenda... 

You've completely ignored injuries as our play and results were very good up until then. 

You ignore the form with a full side ( minus Berra and Ulche for the most part) and go on to describe us as mediocre, despite a great start. 

So, by ignoring our start, our injuries then hammering on about mediocrity and putrid play you do clearly have an agenda. 

If you didn't, you'd be balanced and not like a rabid dog slavering the same shite across multiple threads. 

You're a shit stirrer with a clear agenda against our manager. 

You are hard to have a discussion with bud 

I don't think Levein is the man to take us forward. We are stagnating under him and his record in big games is utterly horrendous. We have an owner who appears to think he's doing a wonderful job so change won't be anytime soon. Fans will just have to endure more of the same. That will be easy to stomach for many judging by some of the posts on here. I expect more and I won't willingly accept the dross he serves up  

If that constitutes an "agenda" in your view then so be it 

13 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I don't think Levein is the man to take us forward. We are stagnating under him and his record in big games is utterly horrendous. We have an owner who appears to think he's doing a wonderful job so change won't be anytime soon. Fans will just have to endure more of the same. That will be easy to stomach for many judging by some of the posts on here. I expect more and I won't willingly accept the dross he serves up  

I am starting to come around to your way of thinking.  I shall see out the winter break and the returned of the injured and Vanacek before concluding on whether Levein has reached the far end of the fart.  I have a concern on the ability of coaching staff, too.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Yip, I know you don't like CL. 

However, he is our manager. 

By banging on about it for a year now, it clearly is an agenda. 

If it wasn't an agenda you'd be able to discuss other things without repeating, we'll your agenda. 

If you didn’t bang on about it, you may actually have valid  points, but your posting manner and insistence on wanting CL out is boring and draws away from any points you may have. 

For example, a thread on our midfield comes back to this. 

After every poor result you repeat the same stuff. That is an agenda. 

Start a thread on "should CL be sacked" or some shite and then go to town. 

14 hours ago, wattie exploited said:

just watched the saint johnstone  game and for most of the game our midfield can,t even make more than 3 passes for most of the game they just seemed to be hitting either long balls or just passing to no one , other thing  we still are not creating anything in way of goal chances apart from crosses which I think we should be expecting more from the midfield :rifle:

In my opinion our midfield are currently lacking players in front of them.  Nobody to pass to, Naismith's intelligence and direction missing, defenders were crapping themselves as Uche, Naismith and McLean carved them open.

we do need to sort out the left side of the team though.

EastSideJambo
12 minutes ago, Tasavallan said:

I am starting to come around to your way of thinking.  I shall see out the winter break and the returned of the injured and Vanacek before concluding on whether Levein has reached the far end of the fart.  I have a concern on the ability of coaching staff, too.

I've no idea what we do if things develop how I fear. I have felt for a while now that Levein will seek to extricate himself at earliest opportunity and impart Daly on us. I think it would be a disgrace if Budge tolerated that 

The managerial search conducted last August illustrated how narrow our options are. 

I've never been convinced of the merits of someone performing Company Director / DoF/ Manager. It's never felt right and still doesn't. If things aren't going well it becomes a problem 

It is a problem 

The key thing is lack of link play with forwards which allows the midfield to play their way up the park.  Naismith has been a huge miss in this respect.  A team functioning well is more a whole than a some of the parts.  

12 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

I've no idea what we do if things develop how I fear. I have felt for a while now that Levein will seek to extricate himself at earliest opportunity and impart Daly on us. I think it would be a disgrace if Budge tolerated that 

The managerial search conducted last August illustrated how narrow our options are. 

I've never been convinced of the merits of someone performing Company Director / DoF/ Manager. It's never felt right and still doesn't. If things aren't going well it becomes a problem 

It is a problem 

Any of the backroom staff taking over from Levein would be completely unacceptable. I see where you're coming from and fear that Daly etc could end up taking charge one day.

When that day comes, and I don't think it will or should be soon, the club should look for an experienced manager with a decent reputation. Or someone from a division below with a good win ratio, who doesn't have a revolving door for players.

Back on topic about midfield, I'd love to see us try a bit of width on both sides and get at least two out of Mulraney / Amankwaa / Morrison / Mitchell in about the starting line up as wingers. Might as well try it, as playing narrow has not provided anything positive over the last few weeks.

1 hour ago, OmiyaHearts said:

Any of the backroom staff taking over from Levein would be completely unacceptable. I see where you're coming from and fear that Daly etc could end up taking charge one day.

When that day comes, and I don't think it will or should be soon, the club should look for an experienced manager with a decent reputation. Or someone from a division below with a good win ratio, who doesn't have a revolving door for players.

Back on topic about midfield, I'd love to see us try a bit of width on both sides and get at least two out of Mulraney / Amankwaa / Morrison / Mitchell in about the starting line up as wingers. Might as well try it, as playing narrow has not provided anything positive over the last few weeks.

Mid we had went with that approach over the last decade and a half, we would have had the following managers at the helm at one stage or the other:

Ian Murray

Colin Cameron

Grant Murray

Paul Hartley

Ray McKinnon

Ian McColl

?

The lack of basic football knowledge on here is quite staggering at times. 

Always blaming the midfield is the easy target, it's the most competitive area of the pitch where battles are won and lost.

Lose the ball, boo hiss yer Shite, don't create 20 chances a game, boo hiss yer Shite. 

Let's all forget there's another team on the pitch. 

In a 4-4-2 the pairing in central midfield should be Djoum and Haring. In a 3 man central midfield either Bozanic or Harry alongside them.

Olly Lee needs to prove himself. 

We need wingers. Morrison is still developing, Clare still finding his feet. Mulraney and Amankwaa probably not good enough although there’s still time i’d Imagine to make an impact.

Need a winger in January and maybe need to look at a better option in central mid for next season. 

Olly Lee has been stinking the last couple of months. Behind Djoum, Haring, Bozanic and surely Cochrane as well now in the pecking order. Starting to look like that league 1 player we signed. Has to step up or will be binned. However, without the like Naismith and Uche to aim at, everyone has struggled, bar Djoum who has been excellent.

13 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Theyve no movement in front of them 

That is a fair point aswell. Although itchy and naisy missing doesn’t help

With Naismith playing our Midfield looked much better than previous years. However, it appears to me that Naismith was papering over the cracks of our Midfield. We could all see his ability even at his advanced age. But he was not only our best player, but organiser, motivator and link man for the team.

Without him, our Midfield has been exposed as journeymen. It just shows the difference one player can make to the team. It also shows we need a quality playmaker for the others to play around.

Hurry back Naisy.......

Captain Canada

One of the problems with the midfield is that it keeps getting changed. Lee has been in and out, so have Morrison, Clare, Cochrane and Bozanic. 

We have little threat up front but Djoum has been played on the wing mainly when he should be right up behind the striker(s). 

wattie exploited
13 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

:spoton:

scott herbertson
20 hours ago, jambosdad said:

In my opinion our midfield are currently lacking players in front of them.  Nobody to pass to, Naismith's intelligence and direction missing, defenders were crapping themselves as Uche, Naismith and McLean carved them open.

we do need to sort out the left side of the team though.

Read through most of the thread to get to this.

It's the obvious change. Prior to their injuries first Uche then Naismith provided an easy out ball for the midfielders and defenders and held it up a high percentage of time creating opportunities for the midfielders to get forward.

It's happening very rarely now and it's much harder to play well or look good on the back foot.

Edited by scott herbertson

I repeat - despite everyone’s moaning - had we been reffed properly in accordance with the rules we’d have 8 extra points.

Where the other teams would be is a moot point but we’d be at least top/equal top.

Edited by Jammy T

Not enough pace or 'flair', no creative players, no attack minded players, 

We have a midfield full of DM's.

We could do with players such as

Greg Stewart

Scott Allan

Adam Hammill

Pasquale for King
20 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

In a 4-4-2 the pairing in central midfield should be Djoum and Haring. In a 3 man central midfield either Bozanic or Harry alongside them.

Olly Lee needs to prove himself. 

We need wingers. Morrison is still developing, Clare still finding his feet. Mulraney and Amankwaa probably not good enough although there’s still time i’d Imagine to make an impact.

Need a winger in January and maybe need to look at a better option in central mid for next season. 

MacDonald or Mitchell have had little game time on the wings this season and might give us more than those you mentioned, Morrison has been good but needs a wee break.

2 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

MacDonald or Mitchell have had little game time on the wings this season and might give us more than those you mentioned, Morrison has been good but needs a wee break.

I was thinking of MacDonald today actually, he could be maybe do a job on the left as an out and out winger rather than cutting in off the right onto his left foot. Worth a try. Mulraney and Amankwaa will maybe get another opportunity at some point. We need something in the wide areas, one of them has to take their chance. If we stick enough balls in the box we’re guaranteed we’ll get more chances. 

19 hours ago, Captain Canada said:

One of the problems with the midfield is that it keeps getting changed. Lee has been in and out, so have Morrison, Clare, Cochrane and Bozanic. 

We have little threat up front but Djoum has been played on the wing mainly when he should be right up behind the striker(s). 

Yup. We've had so many changes forced on us maybe it would be better to stick with some continuity where we can, especially at left back!

6 hours ago, hmfc_liam06 said:

Shock horror...the midfield suddenly looks poorer without our 2 best forwards.

Well I never!

Shock horror - our midfield looks shite when they are getting wrongly called up for fouls and bookings all the time.

Pasquale for King
4 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

I was thinking of MacDonald today actually, he could be maybe do a job on the left as an out and out winger rather than cutting in off the right onto his left foot. Worth a try. Mulraney and Amankwaa will maybe get another opportunity at some point. We need something in the wide areas, one of them has to take their chance. If we stick enough balls in the box we’re guaranteed we’ll get more chances. 

Definitely, especially if Djoum is playing as a 10. CL seems to want at least one the wingers to cut inside into an already congested midfield instead of stretching teams on the flanks for some reason.