What's up with our midfield

wattie exploited

wattie exploited

just watched the saint johnstone  game and for most of the game our midfield can,t even make more than 3 passes for most of the game they just seemed to be hitting either long balls or just passing to no one , other thing  we still are not creating anything in way of goal chances apart from crosses which I think we should be expecting more from the midfield :rifle:

I think it’s because we don’t play any width too congested at times

Need to use all the pitch it’s basics you get taught this at schoolboy level 

Not enjoying watching hearts the now the football is awful 

Did the midfield not score two this evening?

It's the lapses in concentration in defence I'm more concerned about tbh.

wattie exploited
1 minute ago, cruzabic said:

Two things...

We've been doing this all season, we just scored more goals before.

Our midfield were not at fault today.

I never said they were art fault just our lack of passing ability is pretty bad  and I think they are better than what they are showing  

wattie exploited
7 minutes ago, heartsfc_fan said:

I was talking about the lack of being able to make more than at least 3 passes forward with out given the ball away  the two goals came from crosses  and they were great headers !

3 minutes ago, Gambo said:

It's all down to the officials allegedly.

You’re such a tit.

The team are struggling......the confidence has been drained after losing almost half a team and dropping points.

This isn’t CL’s fault. When we are back to full strength we will turn the corner again. 

13 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I'm not stalking you it's just that you are spouting pish on just about every thread I open.

Take a week or so off for your own and our sakes.

3 minutes ago, DH1986 said:

You’re such a tit.

The team are struggling......the confidence has been drained after losing almost half a team and dropping points.

This isn’t CL’s fault. When we are back to full strength we will turn the corner again. 

I never said it was his fault.

It is his job though to work with what he has and not just when he has got his best 11.

Since when did Levein become the only manager that can't be questioned on how the team are doing/performing?

5 minutes ago, graygo said:

I'm not stalking you it's just that you are spouting pish on just about every thread I open.

Take a week or so off for your own and our sakes.

I was only repeating what a few ate saying in the match thread. I take it you have said the same to them?

So I take it you think the officials were good tonight as my comment that they were poor is pish according to you?

I take it you thought we played well tonight as my comment (and many others)that we we were poor is pish according to you?

Edited by Gambo

2 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I never said it was his fault.

It is his job though to work with what he has and not just when he has got his best 11.

Since when did Levein become the only manager that can't be questioned on how the team are doing/performing?

We are just going to have to accept that until we get all the injured guys back we’re in for a tough ride.

CL created a team that was sitting top, scoring goals freely and playing some great stuff plus looked solid at the back.

When you lose the core reasons we were doing all the above it’s unrealistic to expect the same.

At this moment in time we cannot have a conveyor belt of ready made players all of the quality of the ones who are missing. 

27 minutes ago, Gambo said:

Haring was completely and utterly neutered tonight by the referee.

When your best midfielder is closed out of the game by the ref it makes it exceptionally difficult to control the midfield.

You’re biased but not blind.

2 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

When your best midfielder is closed out of the game by the ref it makes it exceptionally difficult to control the midfield.

How does that work when I said the ref had a howler?

15 minutes ago, Gambo said:

I was only repeating what a few ate saying in the match thread. I take it you have said the same to them?

So I take it you think the officials were good tonight as my comment that they were poor is pish according to you?

I take it you thought we played well tonight as my comment (and many others)that we we were poor is pish according to you?

More pish, seriously log off or visit the shed for a wee while.

Yes some others have said the same as you, but not nearly as often.

No we weren't great tonight, absolutely nobody has said we were.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

More pish, seriously log off or visit the shed for a wee while.

Yes some others have said the same as you, but not nearly as often.

No we weren't great tonight, absolutely nobody has said we were.

I was only REPLYING to folk who can't handle me saying we were poor tonight.

You(&many others) think the same that we were poor(not great was your words) but want to have a go at me instead of those having a go at me for stating the truth. Many others have said the same.

12 minutes ago, Gambo said:

How does that work when I said the ref had a howler?

The ref in having a howler (or blinder if you are the SPFL) prevented our main midfielder exerting control on the game, as he did for a lot of the first 10 games, thus having a significant impact on how we played.

That is how it works.

Comprendez?

1 minute ago, Gambo said:

I was only REPLYING to folk who can't handle me saying we were poor tonight.

You(&many others) think the same that we were poor(not great was your words) but want to have a go at me instead of those having a go at me for stating the truth. Many others have said the same.

Then do us all a favour and either don't reply or at least say that you have already given your views on it.

24 minutes ago, The White Cockade said:

Haring was good

Djoum should be pushed up right behind the striker 

Think that is his most effective position. When he played there with big Bjorn he was excellent 

Just now, graygo said:

Then do us all a favour and either don't reply or at least say that you have already given your views on it.

Give him a break - he’s been waiting weeks to get on this roll....

17 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Ludicrous reffing toward him , no idea why he booked him then told them to take the corner again. Then if that was a penalty had to be a red. Even though no one in the universe other than Dallas and ill guess a few fuds on here thought it was a pen

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

Give him a break - he’s been waiting weeks to get on this roll....

For whats its worth first half i thought we were decent but deliberate with the ball rather than fast and crisp (guessing a lot to do with confidence there) second half was even both teams half chances looked comfortable then when he gave the pen its like the bottom fell out. Game went flat , atmosphere went flat we lost composure as if we were just expecting it to go 3-2 and hoofing it to try and save 2-2 which I never felt was in doubt. We were comfy despite Godinho and Mitchells defensive frailties

Haring has been our best midfielder this season. He wasn't even brought to the club to play in the midfield which I think says a lot about the standard and quality of the players who were earmarked to play there. We are generally ponderous, slow to move the ball and lack creativity.

Lee has had several good games but is never going to be good enough week in week out to string together performances where he is a stand out. Edwards was quickly shipped out. Cochrane has contributed nothing and Mulraney looks a strange signing out of his depth. Djoum is the great polarizing enigma who should be a key player for Hearts but rarely is. Morrison has shown glimpses of promise and appears to have a great attitude but his final ball and lack of any goals is a huge concern moving forward. Bozanic looks distinctly average against anything but the bottom few sides. I won't even comment on the abysmal Amankwaa other than to say his appearance for 80 minutes of a semi-final with 30,000 Hearts fans in attendance has to be one of the worst managerial decisions in many many years.

All in all this is what our midfield is, you will struggle to get any consistency from any of that little lot. We have been hurt badly both defensively and up front but we are seriously lacking pace, players who an make things happen and the necessary quality in midfield. The signings have been distinctly average. 

Edited by magicTs

Lee needs dropped. Wouldn't even give him a slot on the bench at the moment. Get Harry some game time in his legs. Dump Sean Clare to the reserves until he sorts his performances out aswell. Bozanic & Djoum are impressing lately. Haring needs his operation.

Sadly think they are just sitting back and thinking(like most of us)things will be fine when Naismith comes back.

21 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

Lee needs dropped. Wouldn't even give him a slot on the bench at the moment. Get Harry some game time in his legs. Dump Sean Clare to the reserves until he sorts his performances out aswell. Bozanic & Djoum are impressing lately. Haring needs his operation.

Agree with u to a certain extent but I'm quite pissed of with cochrane atm after he came out with his dream game would be to play for rangers in the champions league in his most recent interview rangers dropped him to focus on gilmour lad needs to get his head screwed on.

wattie exploited
50 minutes ago, dazajmbo said:

out off all the midfield players tonight Djoum was the best of the lot still can,t see anything good from Clare from all the hype about him !!!!!!

2 hours ago, heartsfc_fan said:

Two wing/full backs who are poor defensively

The Treasurer

IMO it's the lack of passing options that makes our midfield seem laboured.

You can't under estimate the running off the ball that the likes of Naismith does and even Mclean when he has the right support

10 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

That's the one 

Agreed. There was no zip nor accuracy last night. No intelligent off the ball runs and too many punts to No one from defence. And the ref was incompetent. Were missing Soapys runs through the middle and Naismiths guidance, intelligence and creativity. Mitchell should bring more of an attacking option, as a winger but never at LB.

Nelly Terraces

We have virtually zero pace, too little aggression & lack anyone who can drive us forward. Slower than a week in the jail & just as boring to watch.

Football from the 1970s.

Our midfielders are amazing. It is the refs and injuries to our 2 best strikers and 2 best defenders that are at fault.

11 hours ago, DH1986 said:

You’re such a tit.

:greatpost:

Pedestrian at times. No pace or width. Full backs poor. Wighton never a lone striker. Obviously injuries and obscene refereeing contributing massively but still in the mix for European place. 

EastSideJambo
9 hours ago, dazajmbo said:

I can see Olly Lee make a fairly quick return to England 

That lack of gears is frightening 

• redm changed the title to What's up with our midfield
EastSideJambo
17 minutes ago, TypoonJambo said:

Agreed. There was no zip nor accuracy last night. No intelligent off the ball runs and too many punts to No one from defence. And the ref was incompetent. Were missing Soapys runs through the middle and Naismiths guidance, intelligence and creativity. Mitchell should bring more of an attacking option, as a winger but never at LB.

This is now largely a squad that Levein has assembled 

It's missing so many components to make us a dangerous and effective side. Naismith will make a difference for sure but the areas where we are devoid of not only quality, but also urgency, will remain 

Goodness knows what kind of service we have in mind for Vanecek come January. 4 central mids will create no shortage of opportunities hopefully 

11 hours ago, hearts00 said:

Width and pace. Width and pace. Let’s all say it together and keep repeating it until it is fixed. 

Width and pace. 

There is people on this forum will disagree with that 

Slow and congested midfield is the way to play with one up top apparently 

It’s the way we set up away from home, we’ve played the same way away from home for years. Look to hit a striker early and have the midfield support and compete for knock downs. Happy to bypass the midfield to gain the yards with long balls. It’s eye watering stuff. 

It should have been ten
11 hours ago, Gambo said:

GTF

11 hours ago, DH1986 said:

You’re such a tit.

Spot on with ALL of that ??

EastSideJambo
12 minutes ago, busby1985 said:

It’s the way we set up away from home, we’ve played the same way away from home for years. Look to hit a striker early and have the midfield support and compete for knock downs. Happy to bypass the midfield to gain the yards with long balls. It’s eye watering stuff. 

Part of the early season run involved narrow wins at Kilmarnock and Motherwell that weren't especially convincing. We got a few breaks early on that we haven't enjoyed in more recent times 

I'm still a bit baffled how Levein could see this as the strongest squad he's overseen in his time at Hearts. 

He is stating that we are having a tough time right now and he's right. But he's never tried to vary it. Yes there have been some personnel changes but they've been largely like for like 

We've assembled a squad of fairly ordinary run of the mill types, interspersed with quality like Naismith and Berra. Sadly neither of these lads are getting any younger. 

We've spent money on Clare and Wighton and barring a fairly miraculous upturn for both, they appear signings that will add little 

I can see another huge squad overhaul next summer. Quite a number who were recruited in the summer will be shipped out and another batch will arrive. The result is more than likely to be the same mixed bag 

Hearts fan support the club financially to a level that's incomparable in Scotland.  There is a real danger that we are being short changed by what is happening at first team level 

I have a feeling that Burns will play central midfield next season beside Cochrane and Haring. I'd be putting Cochrane out on loan in January to assist his readiness for next season. I can see attributes in Burns that are similar to an extent with John McGinn. He appears to have that hard running combative style. We need energy and dig in the middle of the park

Edited by EastSideJambo

Bazzas right boot

Confidence, lack of width and lack of movement up front. 

Easy to see. 

We have no strikers capable of running the channels, we are very static up front. 

Width, we could maybe use Morrison and Mitchell more, but neither are consistent. 

Confidence, we need a win. 

Bazzas right boot
30 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

This is now largely a squad that Levein has assembled 

It's missing so many components to make us a dangerous and effective side. Naismith will make a difference for sure but the areas where we are devoid of not only quality, but also urgency, will remain 

Goodness knows what kind of service we have in mind for Vanecek come January. 4 central mids will create no shortage of opportunities hopefully 

All I get from you is-

You are happy when we are doing poorly, let's you crack on with your CL stuff. 

You'll be gutted if we finish in top 3. 

Your bleating across multiple threads really is tiresome.