Steve Clark - Not a one season wonder after all

davie1980

Seymour M Hersh
5 hours ago, magicTs said:

Obviously selective reading on your part. Probably because the facts that I've continually presented make your ludicrous views look very short sighted and indeed ignorant! 

You're off your rocker! :rofl:

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• magicTs

• Pasquale for King

• EastSideJambo

Ministry of Football

Lot of absolute nonsense on here about some hate campaign against Levein, as if that is the reason supporters question his tenure in charge. 

It is all about results and competing for trophies, nothing else matters. 

Our first 10 games saw us top of the league and even played some exceptional football during this period. From time to time we rode our luck, but that is football. Levein deserved all the praise he got. 

Now however, including cup games, we haven't won in 7 and Levein genuinely seems out of his depth. Injuries have not helped, but it is the managers responsibility to prepare us for all eventualities. We sold Lafferty and did not get Vanachek. Instead Levein himself chose to spend money on Clare and Wighton. I suspect that if we offered all that money for Vanachek, he would be here by now. Levein must be judged on his decisions. 

My opinion on this is that Levein is a safe pair of hands. If you are happy with that, then fine. If you want to see us win something however, we will probably need something different. 

Does he deserve to be sacked at this in time? Of course not, that is just rediculous. If we don't get our act together soon or do well in the Scottish Cup... Hearts aren't some charity for constant failure. 

Everyone manager has a shelf life and Levein has been here for a long time now. I'm my opinion he has to really compete or win something to earn a continuation of employment. Mid table and bottling it in really big games isn't my idea of how Hearts should be setup. When there are managers like Clarke at Killie, performing absolute miracles and competing against the old firm on a tiny budget, we must not accept second best. 

If and when we do decide on a change, it must also be a clean break. No going upstairs nonsense. 

I honestly think Levein has earned the right to see how this season pans out, before being fully judged.

Edited by Ministry of Football

3 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

Lot of absolute nonsense on here about some hate campaign against Levein, as if that is the reason supporters question his tenure in charge. 

Our first 10 games saw us top of the league and even played some exceptional football during this period. From time to time we rode our luck, but that is football. Levein deserved all the praise he got. 

Now however, including cup games, we haven't won in 7 and Levein genuinely seems out of his depth. Injuries have not helped, but it is the managers responsibility to prepare us for all eventualities. We sold Lafferty and did not get Vanachek. Instead Levein himself chose to spend money on Clare and Wighton. I suspect that if we offered all that money for Vanachek, he would be here by now. Levein must be judged on his decisions. 

My opinion on this is that Levein is a safe pair of hands. If you are happy with that, then fine. If you want to see us win something however, we will probably need something different. 

Does he deserve to be sacked at this in time? Of course not, that is just rediculous. If we don't get our act together soon or do well in the Scottish Cup... Hearts aren't some charity for constant failure. 

Everyone manager has a shelf life and Levein has been here for a long time. I'm my opinion has to really compete or win something to earn a continuation of employment. Mid table and bottling it in really big games isn't my idea of how Hearts should be setup. When there are managers like Clarke at Killie, performing absolute miracles and competing against the old firm on a tiny budget, we must not accept second best. 

If and when we do decide on a change, it must also be a clean break. No going upstairs nonsense. 

I honestly think Levein has earned the right to see how this season pans out, before being fully judged.

Totally agree.

I like Levein but we won't make cup finals with him in charge. The Cathro debacle meant that most fans would have accepted absolutely anyone just to see the back of him. That bought him some time. This seasons Scottish Cup run will make or break him IMO. Based on previous cup campaigns under him I fear the worst.

As for Steve Clarke, the guy is the real deal IMO.

I'd far rather their chances of lifting a cup with him at the helm before we ever do with Levein. He has a different mind set when it comes to big games it would appear.

9 minutes ago, Ministry of Football said:

Everyone manager has a shelf life and Levein has been here for a long time now. I'm my opinion he has to really compete or win something to earn a continuation of employment. Mid table and bottling it in really big games isn't my idea of how Hearts should be setup. When there are managers like Clarke at Killie, performing absolute miracles and competing against the old firm on a tiny budget, we must not accept second best. 

I agree with most of what you posted, apart from the hate campaign against Levein, maybe by others but he's certainly not hated by me. He does however set the team up wrong in my opinion against certain clubs, the fact he plays players out of position when there's no need. He gets away with this against some teams but can struggle against bigger clubs in important matches. He has a squad, use them. Playing the likes of Mitchell at left-back when it's clear for all to see, he's no left-back when you've got Garuccio there or even Godinho makes no sense and he gets caught out all the time with this tactic. Played Godinho at right-back against Rangers when it was clear against Aberdeen when they brought on McGinn for the second half, he's not comfortable there. Should've left Smith in there and played Dikamona in his natural position. Then there's Djoum playing out wide when you've got Morrison, McDonald or Amankwa available. Doesn't matter what you think of them, they are players who play in those positions, good game or bad. They have been signed to do that job. Better than playing people out of their comfort zone. 

32 minutes ago, jambonian said:

O'Donnell, Jones, Stuart and Brophy.

O’Donnell, Stewart and Brophy were unavailable, not left out.

I take your point though. I would probably agree those are their four best players and they did beat us that day without them.??

I’d like to see how they coped with long term injuries to Broadfoot and Findlay at centre back who have been almost ever presents for them though.

There's a bit of disingenuousness going on in this thread.  What has Clarke done?  He has improved Killie.   I'm not playing down that achievement - he's taken them from being constant relegation battlers to being a top 6 side.  He absolutely deserves credit and recognition for that.  And we outplayed Killie at Tynecastle in the most recent game, and were denied another perfectly legitimate goal.

We then get folk going on about Levein's failures - lack of cha;llenge and cup wins.  Why, then, do we never speak about getting in Derek McInnes, the manager who's got closest to Celtic in recent years?  Or Steven Robinson, who's ability to get a team to a cup final is surely worthy of note?

We have suffered due to injuries.  However, I think some criticism is due that those left to take their opportunity haven't done so, and the ones who we were probably looking to step up (the likes of Lee, for example) have faded from the challenge.

In my lifetime, Hearts have won three Scottish Cups.  I find it a bit bizarre that our managers are now being judged on their inability to win trophies.  We should, however, be appearing in much more semi finals and finals.

Pasquale for King
8 hours ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He turned down Sevco. Why would he have come to us?

He was unemployed last August why wouldn’t he have come here if he’d been offered the job, but took a job with a team that were bottom of the league?

So the zombies settled for Gerrard over him? If, and it’s a big if, he turned them down it might be more to do with being Celtic minded.

Pasquale for King
37 minutes ago, Haken said:

There's a bit of disingenuousness going on in this thread.  What has Clarke done?  He has improved Killie.   I'm not playing down that achievement - he's taken them from being constant relegation battlers to being a top 6 side.  He absolutely deserves credit and recognition for that.  And we outplayed Killie at Tynecastle in the most recent game, and were denied another perfectly legitimate goal.

We then get folk going on about Levein's failures - lack of cha;llenge and cup wins.  Why, then, do we never speak about getting in Derek McInnes, the manager who's got closest to Celtic in recent years?  Or Steven Robinson, who's ability to get a team to a cup final is surely worthy of note?

We have suffered due to injuries.  However, I think some criticism is due that those left to take their opportunity haven't done so, and the ones who we were probably looking to step up (the likes of Lee, for example) have faded from the challenge.

In my lifetime, Hearts have won three Scottish Cups.  I find it a bit bizarre that our managers are now being judged on their inability to win trophies.  We should, however, be appearing in much more semi finals and finals.

Neither Mcinnes or Robinson are that great, look at the numpties who have got their teams to finals and even won them recently (Fenlon,Hughes,Stubbs, Warburton,Macintyre,Mcglyn,Lennon) with less resources than us.

As for Lee, who signed him?

11 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He was unemployed last August why wouldn’t he have come here if he’d been offered the job, but took a job with a team that were bottom of the league?

So the zombies settled for Gerrard over him? If, and it’s a big if, he turned them down it might be more to do with being Celtic minded.

In August 2017, did you know Steve Clarke (who had been out of a job for a year and not employed by anybody else) was a fantastic manager?

Edited by To Be Frank

Pasquale for King
Just now, To Be Frank said:

In August 2017, did you know Steve Clarke (who had been out of a job for a year and not employed by anybody else) was a fantastic manager?

No but I wasn’t employed to hire a new manager for Hearts was I? Were the candidates like Hartley/Maclaren/Freedman any better? Did Ann Budge’s football expert recommend them ??‍♂️?

1 hour ago, Ministry of Football said:

Nailed it.

I like Craig Levein and hope he comes good, but he's shown no ability to see a trophy tilt over the line in his 20-year managerial career so far.

Our start to this season was as extremely promising. Our subsequent slump to the bottom of the form table since Steven Naismith hurt his knee is alarming in equal measure.

Deserves to see out the season, though, to see if we can build on the good work undertaken in the summer.

If we reach the season's end needing yet another complete rebuild, we really should be looking for someone else to do it.

10 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Neither Mcinnes or Robinson are that great, look at the numpties who have got their teams to finals and even won them recently (Fenlon,Hughes,Stubbs, Warburton,Macintyre,Mcglyn,Lennon) with less resources than us.

As for Lee, who signed him?

If McInnes and Robinson aren't great for finishing second and reaching cup finals respectively, then why is Clarke special?

Levein signed Lee.  Thought everyone on here would know that.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Haken said:

If McInnes and Robinson aren't great for finishing second and reaching cup finals respectively, then why is Clarke special?

Levein signed Lee.  Thought everyone on here would know that.

Robinson by no means Is a great manager, the scouts at Motherwell do a fantastic job of unearthing gems. Mcinnes has had little competition to finish 2nd and had the 2nd biggest budget in the league, now 3rd, with Rangers in turmoil. My point that passed you by, or you ignored was that even good/average managers have had more success than Levein.

As for Lee the original post I was responding too defended Levein then criticised the signing of Olly Lee, do you get irony of that? 

Believe me, I didn't miss anything in your post.  

My point - which you've either missed or ignored - is that all the noise here is about Clark, who hasn't had as much success as MacInnes or Robinson,.

I didn't criticise Levein for signing Olly Lee; simply pointed out that he hasn't really stepped up when key players have got injured.  I think Lee's a decent signing, but not a great one, though he may still turn out to be a great one.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Haken said:

Believe me, I didn't miss anything in your post.  

My point - which you've either missed or ignored - is that all the noise here is about Clark, who hasn't had as much success as MacInnes or Robinson,.

I didn't criticise Levein for signing Olly Lee; simply pointed out that he hasn't really stepped up when key players have got injured.  I think Lee's a decent signing, but not a great one, though he may still turn out to be a great one.

Maybe because he and Kilmarnock have won more points than everyone else in the league in the last year, if we can’t I hope they win the league.

Geoff Kilpatrick
39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

He took the Kilmarnock job because it suited him. No one expected someone like him to be looking for a job in Scotland, let alone Killie. 

Pasquale for King
28 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He took the Kilmarnock job because it suited him. No one expected someone like him to be looking for a job in Scotland, let alone Killie. 

So the Hearts job wouldn’t have suited him as an unemployed manager with a point to prove, and you know this how? 

Pasquale for King
54 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

Nailed it.

I like Craig Levein and hope he comes good, but he's shown no ability to see a trophy tilt over the line in his 20-year managerial career so far.

Our start to this season was as extremely promising. Our subsequent slump to the bottom of the form table since Steven Naismith hurt his knee is alarming in equal measure.

Deserves to see out the season, though, to see if we can build on the good work undertaken in the summer.

If we reach the season's end needing yet another complete rebuild, we really should be looking for someone else to do it.

Two well thought out and accurate posts ??.

1 hour ago, Haken said:

4 in mine + league cup + 2 last game defeats for league titles + umpteen finals.

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, jambonian said:

O'Donnell, Jones, Stuart and Brophy.

I was more impressed when we beat them at rugby park. 

They beat celtic a few weeks later there. 

At Tynecastle I thought they were effective, and got the goal, it was 50/50.

He left out his more attacking players as he planned to sit deep, defend and hopefully get a chance on the counter. 

Decent  tactics given our striking options. 

The exact same tactics we employ away sometimes and the experts on here go bananas, too defensive! Boo CL! 

Why is he naw havin' a go! 

This place is utterly mental and the irony is completely lost on some. 

Edited by WeeChuck'sHeed

3 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

He left out his more attacking players as he planned to sit deep, defend and hopefully get a chance on the counter. 

The exact same tactics we employ away sometimes and the experts on here go bananas, too defensive! Boo CL! 

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment, but I think the key difference is whether or not you come away with the points or not, and/or are successful in the actual use of the tactics. 

CL uses these tactics often, especially against the OF and Hibs and it very rarely pays off. Steve Clarke on the other hand appears to have this more than down. If we were coming away from Glasgow regularly with 1/3 points, nobody would be moaning about it.  

CL also regularly uses these tactics against lesser opposition, where it has a much better success rate but often sees us dropping points from games which should have been won. 

Pasquale for King
39 minutes ago, WeeChuck'sHeed said:

Those tactics WORK for Kilmarnock, especially when they’re playing away at a team that has a much bigger budget. When we go to St Mirren for example and have everyone behind the ball with no pace up front to hit teams on the break then criticism rightly flows. If we used some of the pacy players we have (Morrison/MacDonald/Mitchell) and played this way it might work, it hasn’t been tried.

2 hours ago, Toggie88 said:

Not necessarily disagreeing with your sentiment, but I think the key difference is whether or not you come away with the points or not, and/or are successful in the actual use of the tactics. 

CL uses these tactics often, especially against the OF and Hibs and it very rarely pays off. Steve Clarke on the other hand appears to have this more than down. If we were coming away from Glasgow regularly with 1/3 points, nobody would be moaning about it.  

CL also regularly uses these tactics against lesser opposition, where it has a much better success rate but often sees us dropping points from games which should have been won. 

Bingo! Give this man a gold star!  If the tactics work then praise is given. However it very very rarely works when Levein does it. Bordeaux was probably his greatest success at any level and Prague his most high profile disaster though its been as bad as that plenty times with Hearts, except its only the Hearts fans who are aware of it!  His and our recent record away from home to the top sides, in the big games, is utterly atrocious. I've repeated this stat a number of times because it deserves oxygen; in the last 17 visits to Easter Road, Pittodrie, Ibrox and Parkhead we have lost 16 times. We have 1 draw. 15 of these were league games so we got 1pt out of 45pts. Astonishing. 

Edited by magicTs

EastSideJambo
4 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

Those tactics WORK for Kilmarnock, especially when they’re playing away at a team that has a much bigger budget. When we go to St Mirren for example and have everyone behind the ball with no pace up front to hit teams on the break then criticism rightly flows. If we used some of the pacy players we have (Morrison/MacDonald/Mitchell) and played this way it might work, it hasn’t been tried.

Your closing comment is on the button. This hasn't been tried. Just variations of the same 

Or use Clare and / or Wighton

Geoff Kilpatrick
6 hours ago, Pasquale for King said:

So the Hearts job wouldn’t have suited him as an unemployed manager with a point to prove, and you know this how? 

He said as much himself! He happened to have moved back to Saltcoats and he offered Killie a turn.

On 06/12/2018 at 01:20, 1971fozzy said:

Killie if they steer clear of injuries and inept refereeing decisions must be quietly fancying their chances. Their form in 2018 has been absolutely unbelievable. Their shite pitch helps them also

For sure why not? This season's SPL has been utterly weird and all the better for it.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, EastSideJambo said:

Your closing comment is on the button. This hasn't been tried. Just variations of the same 

Or use Clare and / or Wighton

Which is slightly frustrating when we’re still searching for a winning solution.

Pasquale for King
51 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

He said as much himself! He happened to have moved back to Saltcoats and he offered Killie a turn.

Prove it.

Geoff Kilpatrick
22 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Prove it.

Oh FFS! If you think I'm Googling last year's news on a Saturday morning you have another think coming.

Nobody can prove whether Clarke would have entertained Hearts because we didn't approach him or Killie. Its complete speculation either way. All that can be said for certain is the Hearts Head Coach recruitment was laughable whether Clarke was ever considered or otherwise. Allegedly he wasn't interested in Rangers and there could be numerous reasons why that was, not least it was paper talk and nothing official from Rangers themselves. He could also have been well aware of what was going on behind the scenes in relation to their manager search. Its all moot anyway and we will find out at some point whether he has higher ambitions again than Killie as someone will come calling for his services. Just hope it isn't Hibs after Lennon departs!

33 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Oh FFS! If you think I'm Googling last year's news on a Saturday morning you have another think coming.

You’re a pain, Geoff.

EastSideJambo
43 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Nobody can prove whether Clarke would have entertained Hearts because we didn't approach him or Killie. Its complete speculation either way. All that can be said for certain is the Hearts Head Coach recruitment was laughable whether Clarke was ever considered or otherwise. Allegedly he wasn't interested in Rangers and there could be numerous reasons why that was, not least it was paper talk and nothing official from Rangers themselves. He could also have been well aware of what was going on behind the scenes in relation to their manager search. Its all moot anyway and we will find out at some point whether he has higher ambitions again than Killie as someone will come calling for his services. Just hope it isn't Hibs after Lennon departs!

Almost the entirety of August was taken until the light bulb moment when in became apparent the Messiah was already in our midst 

The process was a cluster****. No self respecting Manager / Head Coach  will work within the football department structure we have at this time. 

Your comment re Hibs is interesting as I've little doubt that Lennon will not be there come the end of the season. Perhaps even the end of this year could be a stretch 

52 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Almost the entirety of August was taken until the light bulb moment when in became apparent the Messiah was already in our midst 

The process was a cluster****. No self respecting Manager / Head Coach  will work within the football department structure we have at this time. 

Your comment re Hibs is interesting as I've little doubt that Lennon will not be there come the end of the season. Perhaps even the end of this year could be a stretch 

It’s sweet that the two of you have found each other again, Spencer. ☺️

6 hours ago, magicTs said:

Bingo! Give this man a gold star!  If the tactics work then praise is given. However it very very rarely works when Levein does it. Bordeaux was probably his greatest success at any level and Prague his most high profile disaster though its been as bad as that plenty times with Hearts, except its only the Hearts fans who are aware of it!  His and our recent record away from home to the top sides, in the big games, is utterly atrocious. I've repeated this stat a number of times because it deserves oxygen; in the last 17 visits to Easter Road, Pittodrie, Ibrox and Parkhead we have lost 16 times. We have 1 draw. 15 of these were league games so we got 1pt out of 45pts. Astonishing. 

Yup - correct. 

Every time it's the same tactics in these games with the same result. CL often comes out afterwards admitting his tactics were wrong, yet does the same thing again. 

He seems to under estimate our ability to score, yet is over confident in our ability to defend. It was exactly the same with Scotland - the infamous Prague game was a semi-decent Scotland side playing a below average Czech team that had lost at home to Lithuania the previous week. The most infuriating thing was I was that game, everybody in the Scotland end was screaming for him to change it and you knew they were going to score. When they did it wasn't that even disappointing as there was a whole sense of inevitability about it.

Don't get me wrong, CL is a Hearts legend and I've a huge amount of admiration and respect for him and his love of the club. I also think he is a solid manager for a Scottish team looking to challenge for a top 6 spot, I'm not convinced that he can deliver much more than that though.  

Edited by Toggie88

Dagger Is Back
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 01:03, shaun.lawson said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Played 36, won 23, drawn 9, lost 4... with Kilmarnock.

He's doing an absolutely astounding job. And had someone recorded those results with Hearts (which over a full season, we haven't done since 1991/2), you'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Unbelievably blinkered nonsense from you.

I was about to come on here and spout a lot of nonsense as per. Those are outstanding stats. 78 points out of a poss 108. Given Celtic won the league last year with 82 points from 38 games and I think that shows the job he's doing,

Still think they'll finish fourth this year behind us, Celtic and Rangers

Edited by Dagger Is Back

EastSideJambo
6 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I was about to come on here and spout a lot of nonsense as per. Those are outstanding stats. 78 points out of a poss 108. Given Celtic won the league last year with 82 points from 38 games and I think tat shows the job he's doing,

Still think they'll finish fourth this year behind us, Celtic and Rangers

Killie look nailed on to finish above us 

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Nailed on?

Let's see how the season pans out. 

2 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

There’s a lot of games left to play. We looked nailed on as potential challengers until we lost our 4 key players. 

It wouldn’t be shameful to finish 4th behind Killie this season anyway. I doubt they’ll win the league but they have a very good chance of 2nd place. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
14 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

:blink:

The bollocks is strong here.

EastSideJambo
2 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

:blink:

The bollocks is strong here.

Not really Geoff. Both clubs are moving in diametrically differing directions in the table 

I hope I'm wrong and our fortunes improve starting today. Six points between now and Friday would be most welcome 

Back to back finishes behind Killie would be tough to justify 

7 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

Not really Geoff. Both clubs are moving in diametrically differing directions in the table 

I hope I'm wrong and our fortunes improve starting today. Six points between now and Friday would be most welcome 

Back to back finishes behind Killie would be tough to justify 

How would Killie finishing top 3 and Hearts finishing 4th be hard to justify? 

If it wasn’t for poor officiating, we’d have 31pts and be joint 1st ffs.

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There’s a lot of games left to play. We looked nailed on as potential challengers until we lost our 4 key players. 

It wouldn’t be shameful to finish 4th behind Killie this season anyway. I doubt they’ll win the league but they have a very good chance of 2nd place. 

We were challenging when we lost Naismith, he’s the main guy out the four. Berra and Souttar were missed but we still won games, Uche was missed but we still won games. I think even if he was playing we would still be struggling for goals as he’s only got two, and we don’t have anyone else to play off him and talk him through games as Naismith did. 

Pasquale for King
45 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

How would Killie finishing top 3 and Hearts finishing 4th be hard to justify? 

If it wasn’t for poor officiating, we’d have 31pts and be joint 1st ffs.

Poor officiating has helped us too, the goal at Motherwell could’ve been chalked off and been a red. Naismith could easily have been sent off at home to Celtic. Clare was lucky last Sunday too. Dicker maybe could’ve got a yellow rather than a red away to Killie.

We’ve had more bad than good decisions this season, nothing new and what are going to do about getting it sorted?

2 hours ago, EastSideJambo said:

Care to put your money where your mouth is and have a friendly wager on this?