Steve Clark - Not a one season wonder after all

davie1980

33 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I can’t remember... see when we were top of the league for weeks on end? Were the posters who are fawning over Clarke just now, doing the same over Levein? ?

If you weren't so unprepared to read the posts of people you've decided "hate Levein" (complete nonsense) you would realise the point being made has nothing to do with Kilmarnock's short lived current stay on top of the league nor indeed our's - its the bigger picture!! Whereby Hearts (I don't care about Killie and have only used Clarke's remarkable last year or so as further evidence) are going absolutely nowhere under the current management. Thats the reality. And unlike some I've stated very valid reasons and show numerous facts as to why that is the case. Can't win big games, can't win away from home against top sides, wins 1 in 10, if that, against the Old Firm and has an atrocious record in the cups. Along with that has continued to make dubious transfer window signings (yes there has been some improvements amongst the 18 or whatever we scatter gunned this past summer!). It won't get better under Levein, he had a good start to the season, over a very short period of time but nothing more than that. 

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• magicTs

• Pasquale for King

• EastSideJambo

1 hour ago, shaun.lawson said:

Of course we're the third biggest

I appreciate that you were arguing that it doesn't matter but by what measure do you conclude that we are "of course" the third biggest? I am not debating in an attempt to put our club down but I have noticed a return of this claim and am intrigued on how this is being assessed.

EastSideJambo
1 hour ago, Morgan said:

Fawning?  :lol: 

Some of them (you know who they are) weren't even logged in.  Let alone fawning.

FFS 

41 minutes ago, magicTs said:

If you weren't so unprepared to read the posts of people you've decided "hate Levein" (complete nonsense) you would realise the point being made has nothing to do with Kilmarnock's short lived current stay on top of the league nor indeed our's - its the bigger picture!! Whereby Hearts (I don't care about Killie and have only used Clarke's remarkable last year or so as further evidence) are going absolutely nowhere under the current management. Thats the reality. And unlike some I've stated very valid reasons and show numerous facts as to why that is the case. Can't win big games, can't win away from home against top sides, wins 1 in 10, if that, against the Old Firm and has an atrocious record in the cups. Along with that has continued to make dubious transfer window signings (yes there has been some improvements amongst the 18 or whatever we scatter gunned this past summer!). It won't get better under Levein, he had a good start to the season, over a very short period of time but nothing more than that. 

Can I take it you will show up at the AGM to make your points.

If unable to attend you could e mail and request your points are noted. You could even ask some like minded shareholder to make these points on your behalf. 

You should really avoid calling other Hearts fans halfwits just because they don't agree entirely with you or people will think you are just a ranter. 

queensferryjambo
2 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Only if the game had stopped immediately after all these incidents.  Who is to say Rangers and St J wouldn't have gone to win these games anyway. We lack pace, creativity and width and that is costing us far more than refereeing decisions are. 

You don't think these decisions have cost us anything? 

We played well against Kilmarnock and who is to say had MacLean's goal stood we wouldn't have gained confidence and scored 2 or 3. We had plenty creativity and chances vs Killie 19 shots on goal and 10 on target.

Had Rangers not went 2-1 up maybe we would have had more confidence to go forward for a winner second half.

St Johnstone never won in the first place they got a dodgy draw due to a dodgy decision. 

Refereeing decisions have cost us severely no matter what spin anyone wants to put on it. 

41 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Can I take it you will show up at the AGM to make your points.

If unable to attend you could e mail and request your points are noted. You could even ask some like minded shareholder to make these points on your behalf. 

You should really avoid calling other Hearts fans halfwits just because they don't agree entirely with you or people will think you are just a ranter. 

I'm not stupid enough to waste my time. Levein is untouchable whilst Budge remains in charge. 

Just now, magicTs said:

I'm not stupid enough to waste my time. Levein is untouchable whilst Budge remains in charge. 

Untouchable while all the supporters want him in charge.

Just now, Oliver Twist said:

Untouchable while all the supporters want him in charge.

Which is far from the case even if the noisy element on here would like to suggest that  ?

9 minutes ago, magicTs said:

Which is far from the case even if the noisy element on here would like to suggest that  ?

Cobblers.

The massive majority are more than happy with the job Craig is doing and just as pleased with how the club is progressing under Mrs Budges stewardship. 

Geoff Kilpatrick
17 minutes ago, magicTs said:

You seem set on calling for Levein's head irrespective of how we perform this season. We will finish in the Top 3 and yet you will still want the "serial loser" out. Incredible.

14 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

Cobblers.

The massive majority are more than happy with the job Craig is doing and just as pleased with how the club is progressing under Mrs Budges stewardship. 

In my opinion you are wrong but there is no way for either of us to be proven correct so its kind of a pointless discussion. Many many long time Hearts fans, ST holders, FOH members etc that I know are far from "happy" that Craig Levein is the Hearts manager. It is nothing personal and everyone wants him to do well, they just know its not ever going to mean silverware or really competing with the Old Firm (no 8-10 games at the start of the season don't count as competing!).

Off the field we have seen a really progressive couple of years. Lots of great initiatives as well as massively important stadium reconstruction. Budge has been a breath of fresh air and whilst some mistakes have been made she has had a tremendous influence and impact.

On the field we have been extremely mediocre although that is an improvement on the period under Levein's apprentice. I repeat again we will never succeed under him. Time will tell who will be proven right as he clearly won't be going anywhere anytime soon given the lowly targets he's been set and that are accepted.  

Edited by magicTs

4 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

You seem set on calling for Levein's head irrespective of how we perform this season. We will finish in the Top 3 and yet you will still want the "serial loser" out. Incredible.

I don't think I've called for his head in any post but maybe I did.....

I think its unlikely we finish in the top 3 but we will see. We will also see how the big games continue to go and especially the cup ties in the Scottish Cup in which his Hearts record is frankly an total embarrassment. At the moment he often beats the bottom feeders of the SPl and thats how most points are accumulated. This isn't a Hearts side going anywhere as evidenced by several of our best players not even being our own. He's not building a team here, we'll still need massive surgery again come next summer. 

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

In my opinion you are wrong but there is no way for either of us to be proven correct so its kind of a pointless discussion. Many many long time Hearts fans, ST holders, FOH members etc that I know are far from "happy" that Craig Levein is the Hearts manager. It is nothing personal and everyone wants him to do well, they just know because its not ever going to mean silverware or really competing with the Old Firm (no 8-10 games at the start of the season don't count as competing!).

Off the field we have seen a really progressive couple of years. Lots of great initiatives as well as massively important stadium reconstruction. Budge has been a breath of fresh air and whilst some mistakes have been made she has had a tremendous influence and impact.

On the field we have been extremely mediocre although that is an improvement on the period under Levein's apprentice. I repeat again we will never succeed under him. Time will tell who will be proven right as he clearly won't be going anywhere anytime soon given the lowly targets he's been set and that are accepted.  

On the field we have come on a massive amount, you and your ilk can't see it because you don't want to see it. You prefer to attempt to suck the life out of the enjoyment of everybody you engage on here, it's plainly obvious you know nothing about football but seem to have found an outlet for your miserableness. 

That's a shame for the club and you.

4 minutes ago, magicTs said:

In my opinion you are wrong but there is no way for either of us to be proven correct so its kind of a pointless discussion. Many many long time Hearts fans, ST holders, FOH members etc that I know are far from "happy" that Craig Levein is the Hearts manager. It is nothing personal and everyone wants him to do well, they just know because its not ever going to mean silverware or really competing with the Old Firm (no 8-10 games at the start of the season don't count as competing!).

If we will never succeed under him, please see my bet thread for an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is ??

1 minute ago, magicTs said:

I think its unlikely we finish in the top 3 but we will see. We will also see how the big games continue to go and especially the cup ties in the Scottish Cup in which his Hearts record is frankly an total embarrassment. At the moment he often beats the bottom feeders of the SPl and thats how most points are accumulated. This isn't a Hearts side going anywhere as evidenced by several of our best players not even being our own. He's not building a team here, we'll still need massive surgery again come next summer. 

We totally have the structure of a very successful team and major surgery is not needed. 

10 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

On the field we have come on a massive amount, you and your ilk can't see it because you don't want to see it. You prefer to attempt to suck the life out of the enjoyment of everybody you engage on here, it's plainly obvious you know nothing about football but seem to have found an outlet for your miserableness. 

That's a shame for the club and you.

:rofl:  I've forgotten more about football than your "ilk" will ever know. Another fact for you to chew on. 

Edited by magicTs

2 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

If we will never succeed under him, please see my bet thread for an opportunity to put your money where your mouth is ??

We totally have the structure of a very successful team and major surgery is not needed. 

If you'd like to put your cash where your mouth is and place way more on Hearts never winning diddly squat under Levein feel free to PM me. I'm not interested in some pishy who finishes above who, my point is and always has been about Levein's inability to ever succeed at Tynecastle. 

1 hour ago, JamboGraham said:

I appreciate that you were arguing that it doesn't matter but by what measure do you conclude that we are "of course" the third biggest? I am not debating in an attempt to put our club down but I have noticed a return of this claim and am intrigued on how this is being assessed.

- Considerably bigger fanbase (and hence, more potential)

- Much better historic league record

To that, they can counter with more trophies - but it's not enough to dislodge us. Celtic and Rangers worry about us someday getting it right much more than they do about Aberdeen.

4 minutes ago, magicTs said:

:rofl:  I've forgotten more about football than you'll "ilk" will ever know. Another fact for you to chew on. 

I've yet to see any evidence of that. 

Just slaver and drivel seems more your usual MO.

19 minutes ago, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

We *may* finish in the top 3. Killie are clearly gonna take some stopping; Aberdeen have recovered.

8 minutes ago, Oliver Twist said:

I appreciate my articulately written, often fact based posts are a little too much for your ken! Your constantly aggressive attempts to silence posters who don’t agree with your stance that bending over and simply accepting mediocrity is good enough won’t stop me voicing my opinions though ?

Edited by magicTs

19 minutes ago, magicTs said:

If you'd like to put your cash where your mouth is and place way more on Hearts never winning diddly squat under Levein feel free to PM me. I'm not interested in some pishy who finishes above who, my point is and always has been about Levein's inability to ever succeed at Tynecastle. 

State your terms ?? You claim under Levein we will be forced to accept “mediocrity” (your word).

State what terms you want to bet to back up that claim...

2 hours ago, magicTs said:

Do you want Hibs to win the next derby, so it hastens Levein’s exit?

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Do you want Hibs to win the next derby, so it hastens Levein’s exit?

:rofl:

Wow another belter of a post! Why on earth would I want Hibs to win a derby?! Levein ain’t going anywhere regardless so that would be rather stupid. 

14 minutes ago, magicTs said:

:rofl:

Wow another belter of a post! Why on earth would I want Hibs to win a derby?! Levein ain’t going anywhere regardless so that would be rather stupid. 

But just saying it did ensure that? ...

1 hour ago, magicTs said:

To be honest CL is a decent manager but do I think we will win a trophy under him the answer is no 

Pasquale for King

The guy is doing a fantastic job on a small budget, some on here reckoned he was a one season wonder. He’s hardly signed anyone and they don’t seem to suffer from the level of injuries we do, miraculous considering their pitch. I hope he gets a job in the English championship and buys all their good players.

Look at the difference with Greg Stewart from last season, we might’ve been better bidding for him with the money we used on Wighton and Clare. Stewart will be a free agent in the summer, he would be a great signing for us in one of our problem positions. Whether he wants to come back to us is another thing.

Clarke should’ve been in the frame for the managers job last summer, the fact he wasn’t doesn’t bode well for the next time the same people look for the right person.

Pasquale for King
6 hours ago, NB GIN said:

To be honest CL is a decent manager but do I think we will win a trophy under him the answer is no 

I think that’s quite a common view amongst our support at this point in time, there’s no real proof to think anything else.

We’ve had some poor managers over the years but even some of them have beaten Rangers at Tynecastle, including probably the worst of the lot in Cathro.

Geoff Kilpatrick
30 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

The guy is doing a fantastic job on a small budget, some on here reckoned he was a one season wonder. He’s hardly signed anyone and they don’t seem to suffer from the level of injuries we do, miraculous considering their pitch. I hope he gets a job in the English championship and buys all their good players.

Look at the difference with Greg Stewart from last season, we might’ve been better bidding for him with the money we used on Wighton and Clare. Stewart will be a free agent in the summer, he would be a great signing for us in one of our problem positions. Whether he wants to come back to us is another thing.

Clarke should’ve been in the frame for the managers job last summer, the fact he wasn’t doesn’t bode well for the next time the same people look for the right person.

He turned down Sevco. Why would he have come to us?

Steve Clarke is doing an unbelievable job, that cannot be denied results wise. Would Hearts fans accept his style of play, though? I believe it’s far more negative than anything Craig Levein has offered us.

Having only really seen them live against Hearts, I think the way he sets teams up would drive some fans on here over the edge. Murrayfield: We were poor but have most of the ball. Killie won 2-1 with goals on the break, only after Isma had missed a great chance to win it for us. 

Tynecastle: 1-1 We dominate again as they sit in and a last minute penalty is saved by Jamie Mac.

Rugby Park: 1-0 Killie. Our under 15s didn’t take the expected hiding because, with the onus on them, Killie didn’t really attack us and put us under any pressure until the last 10 minutes when our lads were clearly knackered.

Rugby Park: 1-0 Hearts. Another game we completely dominated. Clarke correctly stated the red was a big help to us but he also said the game was heading for 0-0, a clear indication of their intent, at home.

Tynecastle: 1-0 Killie. Another game where their plan was to defend narrow and hit on the break. Another bad decision changed the game as we tried to break down an eight man defence and they got their goal and, if it was possible, they defended even deeper and narrower after that.

Fair play to them, though, and I’ve always said if Joe Jordan had won us the league winning 1-0 every week I certainly wouldn’t care to remember his style of play. However, like Joe Jordan, if he has a run of bad results or bad a run of luck with injuries as Craig Levein is experiencing, the fans (and players) will be quick to turn on him and his tactics. 

Clarke has found a good home. I’m not sure he could pull it off elsewhere, as previous gigs in England have shown. With such an emphasis on being hard to beat rather than beating teams, he might be a good match for Scotland...

Seymour M Hersh
9 hours ago, Oliver Twist said:

He doesn't half throw his opinion around calling it facts. Odd fellow. 

8 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

He doesn't half throw his opinion around calling it facts. Odd fellow. 

Obviously selective reading on your part. Probably because the facts that I've continually presented make your ludicrous views look very short sighted and indeed ignorant! 

i wish jj was my dad
9 hours ago, Barack said:

Welcome back, Hendricks.

Merry Christmas.

Screenshot_20181206-205642_Google.jpg

Spot on, Mr President.

Think I will duck out of this site for a bit until therw is another clean up.

I very much doubt we’d be any higher. Hearts fans going tonto about our recent run, given the extenuating circumstances, show that there wouldn’t be the patience for a few poor results/loss of form due to horrendous injuries to his top players or his style of play. Combined, these circumstances would be fatal. I’ve not even mentioned being the victim of a couple of disgraceful decisions which have cost us points/any chance we had in a tough cup tie.

Where do YOU think we’d be with Clarke in charge? 

3 hours ago, Shaggy2 said:

Steve Clarke is doing an unbelievable job, that cannot be denied results wise. Would Hearts fans accept his style of play, though? I believe it’s far more negative than anything Craig Levein has offered us.

Having only really seen them live against Hearts, I think the way he sets teams up would drive some fans on here over the edge. Murrayfield: We were poor but have most of the ball. Killie won 2-1 with goals on the break, only after Isma had missed a great chance to win it for us. 

Tynecastle: 1-1 We dominate again as they sit in and a last minute penalty is saved by Jamie Mac.

Rugby Park: 1-0 Killie. Our under 15s didn’t take the expected hiding because, with the onus on them, Killie didn’t really attack us and put us under any pressure until the last 10 minutes when our lads were clearly knackered.

Rugby Park: 1-0 Hearts. Another game we completely dominated. Clarke correctly stated the red was a big help to us but he also said the game was heading for 0-0, a clear indication of their intent, at home.

Tynecastle: 1-0 Killie. Another game where their plan was to defend narrow and hit on the break. Another bad decision changed the game as we tried to break down an eight man defence and they got their goal and, if it was possible, they defended even deeper and narrower after that.

Fair play to them, though, and I’ve always said if Joe Jordan had won us the league winning 1-0 every week I certainly wouldn’t care to remember his style of play. However, like Joe Jordan, if he has a run of bad results or bad a run of luck with injuries as Craig Levein is experiencing, the fans (and players) will be quick to turn on him and his tactics. 

Clarke has found a good home. I’m not sure he could pull it off elsewhere, as previous gigs in England have shown. With such an emphasis on being hard to beat rather than beating teams, he might be a good match for Scotland...

Killie move the ball far quicker than we do and with purpose. They have players with pace who can beat their man, hit the byeline and get crosses into the box. I would certainly prefer to watch that style of football rather than the pedestrian paced, posession game that we deploy,  with our main source of creativity being through set pieces.

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Killie move the ball far quicker than we do and with purpose. They have players with pace who can beat their man, hit the byeline and get crosses into the box. I would certainly prefer to watch that style of football rather than the pedestrian paced, posession game that we deploy,  with our main source of creativity being through set pieces.

As I said, I only see them against Hearts and we’ve dominated every game except the last game of last season when we had, I think, eight teenagers in the 14 that played. We’ve played ok and been suckered. They were shit at Rugby Park and Clarke, as alluded to, basically admitted he’d have taken 0-0. They then played two banks of four at Tynecastle, only operating within the width of the 18 yard box. The 2nd half in particular, their two banks sat 25 yards out and 18 yards out. 

If you see them regularly then fair enough. I certainly can’t disagree that their results are impressive. 

7 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If you only look at the last 5 or 6 weeks then I would agree with you, however, given what we all witnessed for the opening 3 months of the season it suggests that our current style of football is delivered by circumstance rather than by design. Unquestionably frustrating.

1 minute ago, Shaggy2 said:

As I said, I only see them against Hearts and we’ve dominated every game except the last game of last season when we had, I think, eight teenagers in the 14 that played. We’ve played ok and been suckered. They were shit at Rugby Park and Clarke, as alluded to, basically admitted he’d have taken 0-0. They then played two banks of four at Tynecastle, only operating within the width of the 18 yard box. The 2nd half in particular, their two banks sat 25 yards out and 18 yards out. 

If you see them regularly then fair enough. I certainly can’t disagree that their results are impressive. 

I've only seen the highlights from recent games Shaggy where they have looked impressive. I agree with your comments about their set up at Tynecastle.  It does seem that they can adapt to different games and the fact they have pace certainly benefits them.

4 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

If you only look at the last 5 or 6 weeks then I would agree with you, however, given what we all witnessed for the opening 3 months of the season it suggests that our current style of football is delivered by circumstance rather than by design. Unquestionably frustrating.

Yes,  fair points there Graham.

3 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

I've only seen the highlights from recent games Shaggy where they have looked impressive. I agree with your comments about their set up at Tynecastle.  It does seem that they can adapt to different games and the fact they have pace certainly benefits them.

Tough test for them tomorrow. I hope they get something using their Tynecastle tactics :)

If they were to and we could beat Motherwell and Livingston then we’ll be right up there and about to get the boost of Naismith and Vanacek. My glass remains half full for the rest of this season...?

What a load of roasters on here...6 games ago we were going to win the league.....Wright and Clark were shit managers....our injuries catch up with us and we struggle but still only 4 points off top spot....now CL is shite and Clark is the 2nd coming.....get a grip ya ****ing bunch o numpties...

In the last game at Tynecastle I was very impressed by the simple way Clarke has them playing, and it works. I liked a few of their players before that game and it's not surprising he left out his four best players against us and still won the game. He plays his players in their natural positions, they know what they're doing, unlike Levein who over-thinks and tries putting square pegs into round holes for no reason, especially when he has players available anyway for certain positions but thinks it's clever to play them out of position. I'd get Clarke in straight away before others come in for him. Levein can go back upstairs where he belongs and let him get on with coaching the squad. Killie's budget is nowhere near Hearts' one so I imagine he'd get even more out of Hearts players than he does Killie ones. I'd sign half their squad if I could. Jones would be first choice followed by Stuart. Their right back O'Donnell impresses, Power in midfield looks solid and Brophy is an excellent player getting forward. Before the game a Tynie recently I hadn't taken much notice of their left back but he gave Morrison no chance, my man of the match choice by far. Clarke's done a great job under the circumstances. i'd bring him to Hearts in a heartbeat.

13 hours ago, NB GIN said:

That doesn't really take us very far.

In more than half a century, I've seen us win a major trophy three times, two of these when we had an unrealistic budget thanks to Vlad (good riddance).

Not winning a trophy is normal for Hearts, so why assess Levein in terms of whether or not he can do something utterly exceptional?

Clarke's achievements give us hope, though, because he is showing that a team with a tiny budget can compete with the best of them given good management / coaching.

2 hours ago, Boab1874 said:

Where would Hearts be now with Clarke as manager.

With our current injuries? Probably about the same I reckon. Who knows whether he would have been able to convince Naimsith to return either.

If Killie suffer long term injuries to their 4 key players their results will fall away dramatically. I think either way they will probably end up 5th.

11 minutes ago, jambonian said:

In the last game at Tynecastle I was very impressed by the simple way Clarke has them playing, and it works. I liked a few of their players before that game and it's not surprising he left out his four best players against us and still won the game. He plays his players in their natural positions, they know what they're doing, unlike Levein who over-thinks and tries putting square pegs into round holes for no reason, especially when he has players available anyway for certain positions but thinks it's clever to play them out of position. I'd get Clarke in straight away before others come in for him. Levein can go back upstairs where he belongs and let him get on with coaching the squad. Killie's budget is nowhere near Hearts' one so I imagine he'd get even more out of Hearts players than he does Killie ones. I'd sign half their squad if I could. Jones would be first choice followed by Stuart. Their right back O'Donnell impresses, Power in midfield looks solid and Brophy is an excellent player getting forward. Before the game a Tynie recently I hadn't taken much notice of their left back but he gave Morrison no chance, my man of the match choice by far. Clarke's done a great job under the circumstances. i'd bring him to Hearts in a heartbeat.

Who are their four best players he left out against us?