Steve Clark - Not a one season wonder after all

davie1980

Many including myself just thought he was last seasons flash in the pan one season wonder manager.

Appears some of us were wrong.

Top of the league with a bang average team, what's he doing right?

Edited by davie1980

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Alex Kintner

• magicTs

• Pasquale for King

• EastSideJambo

It’s bizarre how good a job he’s doing, on paper that’s a mid table squad. He/they deserve a shitload of credit for how consistently well they’ve played over the last 12 months.

5 minutes ago, Homme said:

Not a bang average team if they are top of the league.

Fair play to them.

They are bang average...

The point the op is making is that it's Clarke that has made misfits into a team.

2 minutes ago, the_jailer said:

I wouldn’t mind him as our next manager. When Levein calls it a day 

That boats sailed, if we stood any chance it was before/after Cathro. 

Doing a fantastic job seems to having them playing decent football too Jordan Jones is a player a wouldn't mind having flying machine when he gets going Aaron Tshibola has touches of class about him aswell but for me Greg Stewart has been a very shrewd loan signing for them and it is paying of big time.

Edited by Bongo 1874

20 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

It’s bizarre how good a job he’s doing, on paper that’s a mid table squad. He/they deserve a shitload of credit for how consistently well they’ve played over the last 12 months.

:spoton:

A manager who seems to be able to actually develop the players in his squad and devise a style of play to get the best out of them.

27 minutes ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

A squad that contains pace and creativity. I watched the highlights on Sunday and Brophy has pace in abundance. Someone who knocks the ball past the defender and hits the bye line.  We are crying out for someone like that and helps to explain the gap in points between us and Killie, despite our 20 signings and greater resources.

12 minutes ago, loveofthegame said:

He’ll surely be back down south before January’s out. Imagine some big championship/lower EPL clubs will be taking note.

AB should be knocking on Killie's door to avoid that scenario.

He’s done an incredible job. He’s clearly a great coach without a doubt. He’s barely signed anyone as well. I wouldn’t grudge Killie the success they are having at the moment, it’s on merit.  

loveofthegame
10 minutes ago, Rudy T said:

Our manager had us top of the league and beating this incredible Killie team when he had his full squad available. 

Our managers budget is like about double killies 

Maybe by going top of the league,  it will be their turn to start getting dodgy refereeing decisions.  Just to make sure the sfa get what teams they want at top. 

jack D and coke
47 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Doing a fantastic job seems to having them playing decent football too Jordan Jones is a player a wouldn't mind having flying machine when he gets going Aaron Tshibola has touches of class about him aswell but for me Greg Stewart has been a very shrewd loan signing for them and it is paying of big time.

Stewart is allegedly a Hearts fan too and a cracking player. We should’ve made moves for him when he was at Dundee and then when he was out of favour at Brum. 

Just now, jack D and coke said:

Stewart is allegedly a Hearts fan too and a cracking player. We should’ve made moves for him when he was at Dundee and then when he was out of favour at Brum. 

He was terrible at Aberdeen last season. Clarke seems to be getting the best out of him.

He seems to have a real nack of getting the very best out of guys in their indvidual positions, therefore creating a very well drilled team. Simple formula, but very hard to execute. His experience at Chelsea and Liverpool will have had a huge part to play in all this.

In the last calendar year, from the start of December 2017, Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock side have played 36 SPL games:

23 wins

9 draws

4 defeats 

78pts out of a possible 108pts.

In the same calendar year, since the start of December 2017, Craig Levein's Hearts side have played 39 SPL games:

16 wins

11 draws

12 defeats

59pts out of a possible 117pts.

So Kilmarnock despite having played 3 less league games than Hearts have taken NINETEEN points more than us. Clarke is doing an absolutely phenomenal job with a fraction of the resources, far poorer facilities and about a third of the fanbase that Levein has at his disposal. He should have been appointed Hearts manager when Cathro was given the boot, he was the very obvious choice within Scottish football and I have no doubt whatsoever we would be top of the SPL right now and not Kilmarnock. I would love to see what he would be doing with the players we have available and I'm sure he would have brought in some far better than the numerous duds we've again conspired to end up with. 

Edited by magicTs

jack D and coke
33 minutes ago, Cut The Crap said:

He was terrible at Aberdeen last season. Clarke seems to be getting the best out of him.

Yeah he wasn’t great but when you get a manager who believes in you it shows. You’re right Clarke is indeed in that bracket he’s bang in form. 

1 hour ago, Ibrahim Tall said:

It’s not that bizarre. He’s an excellent manager. He also has some decent players. 

48 minutes ago, Peebo said:

It’s not that bizarre. He’s an excellent manager. He also has some decent players. 

One possible nightmare scenario would be if Popcorn teeth was to walk from ER, (very possible atm.) and Clarke was appointed the manager, he genuinely has the ability to make a silk purse from a sows ear.

53 minutes ago, Peebo said:

This. Problem  is "oor budget, new stand, training facilities, etc, etc" on here and fans think we are actually better than erm.....

That team is dire.  

Howdy Doody Jambo

Got  a lucky break against us, when our goal wasn't given, Jones dive at Dens got them a win and cost McCann  his job, that's 4 point swing 

Clarke has improved them although nothing special 

EastSideJambo
1 hour ago, magicTs said:

In the last calendar year, from the start of December 2017, Steve Clarke's Kilmarnock side have played 36 SPL games:

23 wins

9 draws

4 defeats 

78pts out of a possible 108pts.

In the same calendar year, since the start of December 2017, Craig Levein's Hearts side have played 39 SPL games:

16 wins

11 draws

12 defeats

59pts out of a possible 117pts.

So Kilmarnock despite having played 3 less league games than Hearts have taken NINETEEN points more than us. Clarke is doing an absolutely phenomenal job with a fraction of the resources, far poorer facilities and about a third of the fanbase that Levein has at his disposal. He should have been appointed Hearts manager when Cathro was given the boot, he was the very obvious choice within Scottish football and I have no doubt whatsoever we would be top of the SPL right now and not Kilmarnock. I would love to see what he would be doing with the players we have available and I'm sure he would have brought in some far better than the numerous duds we've again conspired to end up with. 

This post will be avoided by many 

15 minutes ago, Old Castle Rock said:

Got  a lucky break against us, when our goal wasn't given, Jones dive at Dens got them a win and cost McCann  his job, that's 4 point swing 

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Played 36, won 23, drawn 9, lost 4... with Kilmarnock.

He's doing an absolutely astounding job. And had someone recorded those results with Hearts (which over a full season, we haven't done since 1991/2), you'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Unbelievably blinkered nonsense from you.

1 minute ago, shaun.lawson said:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: 

Played 36, won 23, drawn 9, lost 4... with Kilmarnock.

He's doing an absolutely astounding job. And had someone recorded those results with Hearts (which over a full season, we haven't done since 1991/2), you'd be shouting it from the rooftops. Unbelievably blinkered nonsense from you.

Wow, when you see his record like that you realise how impressive he has been, only 4 defeats is unbelievable especially considering the state they were in when he took over.

13 minutes ago, EastSideJambo said:

This post will be avoided by many 

Obviously chief. They don't like facts. They just like believing the totally ridiculous notion that we are in good hands on the football front. Nothing and I mean nothing suggests that Levein will ever have success at Tynecastle. Its a complete joke that we are so insular and tat people are so deluded that they think he is as good as it gets for Hearts. Its actually insulting given what the clubs fanbase have done for the club. 

Killie if they steer clear of injuries and inept refereeing decisions must be quietly fancying their chances. Their form in 2018 has been absolutely unbelievable. Their shite pitch helps them also

Edited by 1971fozzy

This is the total record since the start of December 2017. It's very unfair to include Clarke's first few games, as he inherited a side which was winless and rock bottom, then had to start with two away games v the OF, yet still picked up draws in both.

Celtic P 38 Pts 78

Kilmarnock P 39 Pts 78

Rangers P 38 Pts 71

Aberdeen P 37 Pts 67

Hibernian P 38 Pts 61

Heart of Midlothian P 39 Pts 59

St Johnstone P 39 Pts 53

Motherwell P 38 Pts 39

Dundee P 38 Pts 35

Hamilton Academical P 39 Pts 30

Please note: The purpose of this table is not to compare Levein with Clarke in any way. I think anyone calling for Levein's head is being daft.

It is to set out how extraordinarily well Clarke is doing. Relative to the competition, Celtic have been enormously strong for the last two-and-a-half seasons. Clarke's Killie - who lost interest after the split, much like ourselves - are matching them practically stride for stride.

That's astonishing. Celtic's wage bill is almost 60m. Kilmarnock's is a packet of crisps and a half eaten Nestle crunch bar.

2 hours ago, Old Castle Rock said:

“Improved them although nothing special”

Are you serious? Look at where they were 13/14 months ago and look at them now. That Killie squad is bang average and should be nowhere near the top 4 never mind top. Clarke is the best manager in the league. 

20 minutes ago, lsimp77 said:

“Improved them although nothing special”

Are you serious? Look at where they were 13/14 months ago and look at them now. That Killie squad is bang average and should be nowhere near the top 4 never mind top. Clarke is the best manager in the league. 

This 100%

Bridge of Djoum

I see a thread about Steve Clarke turns into another CL bashing rant by the same few.

It's not trolling, though.

34 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Being injury free helps.

This.

I thought they were very lucky against us at Tynie.  Lets see how they are doing by the end of March.  I would expect our best team to be ahead of them.

The only question I think needs looking at is why we are getting so many injuries compared to other teams.  There is a pattern repeating, with Dunne the latest out for us which suggests something is not right.

2 hours ago, shaun.lawson said:

This is the total record since the start of December 2017. It's very unfair to include Clarke's first few games, as he inherited a side which was winless and rock bottom, then had to start with two away games v the OF, yet still picked up draws in both.

Celtic P 38 Pts 78

Kilmarnock P 39 Pts 78

Rangers P 38 Pts 71

Aberdeen P 37 Pts 67

Hibernian P 38 Pts 61

Heart of Midlothian P 39 Pts 59

St Johnstone P 39 Pts 53

Motherwell P 38 Pts 39

Dundee P 38 Pts 35

Hamilton Academical P 39 Pts 30

Please note: The purpose of this table is not to compare Levein with Clarke in any way. I think anyone calling for Levein's head is being daft.

It is to set out how extraordinarily well Clarke is doing. Relative to the competition, Celtic have been enormously strong for the last two-and-a-half seasons. Clarke's Killie - who lost interest after the split, much like ourselves - are matching them practically stride for stride.

That's astonishing. Celtic's wage bill is almost 60m. Kilmarnock's is a packet of crisps and a half eaten Nestle crunch bar.

It damn well should be used to compare Levein to Clarke. Some people think Levein has done or is doing a great job. This shows just how staggeringly mediocre a job he’s doing in reality. A record that sees us scraping into the top 6. Talk about treading water. How many more seasons will we have to put up with this pish?!

15 minutes ago, frankblack said:

This.

I thought they were very lucky against us at Tynie.  Lets see how they are doing by the end of March.  I would expect our best team to be ahead of them.

The only question I think needs looking at is why we are getting so many injuries compared to other teams.  There is a pattern repeating, with Dunne the latest out for us which suggests something is not right.

On injuries, I'm not a fan of the aggressive bounce games in training or intense fitness training during the season, that should be all done pre season. Games will take care of the rest. Skill, tactics, formation, weight training and nutrition should be focused on, leaving little room for injury. 

49 minutes ago, magicTs said:

It damn well should be used to compare Levein to Clarke. Some people think Levein has done or is doing a great job. This shows just how staggeringly mediocre a job he’s doing in reality. A record that sees us scraping into the top 6. Talk about treading water. How many more seasons will we have to put up with this pish?!

Magic, we're 4th. Having had lots of injuries and plenty of awful refereeing decisions. If you could name me any other occasion in Hearts' history when a manager would've justifiably been sacked for being 4th, having had lots of injuries and plenty of awful refereeing decisions, that'd be great. But you can't, because there's never been one.

I don't like doing this - it's probably woefully unfair. But it seems to me, you so often blame some bogeyman or another. For many years, it was Vlad - to the point whereby you constantly defended Csaba Laszlo's appalling, eyebleeding football at a time we were flirting with the relegation zone on a massively bigger budget than we have now. Now, it's Levein. If only he'd go and we'd show some 'ambition' (read: roll the roulette wheel, before you slag off the next incumbent when he doesn't work miracles) eh?

Well, no. Hearts are doing perfectly fine, all things considered. Bizarrely, your on-field expectations seem to be higher now than they were under Romanov, despite us now living within our means. Clubs that live within their means will always see things go wrong when serious injuries come along. That's life. And pointing to one manager doing a freakishly brilliant job doesn't change that.

Good for Steve Clarke and good for Killie. But good for Craig Levein and Hearts too. At this stage of the season, at least.

31 minutes ago, shaun.lawson said:

Magic, we're 4th. Having had lots of injuries and plenty of awful refereeing decisions. If you could name me any other occasion in Hearts' history when a manager would've justifiably been sacked for being 4th, having had lots of injuries and plenty of awful refereeing decisions, that'd be great. But you can't, because there's never been one.

I don't like doing this - it's probably woefully unfair. But it seems to me, you so often blame some bogeyman or another. For many years, it was Vlad - to the point whereby you constantly defended Csaba Laszlo's appalling, eyebleeding football at a time we were flirting with the relegation zone on a massively bigger budget than we have now. Now, it's Levein. If only he'd go and we'd show some 'ambition' (read: roll the roulette wheel, before you slag off the next incumbent when he doesn't work miracles) eh?

Well, no. Hearts are doing perfectly fine, all things considered. Bizarrely, your on-field expectations seem to be higher now than they were under Romanov, despite us now living within our means. Clubs that live within their means will always see things go wrong when serious injuries come along. That's life. And pointing to one manager doing a freakishly brilliant job doesn't change that.

Good for Steve Clarke and good for Killie. But good for Craig Levein and Hearts too. At this stage of the season, at least.

Sorry Shaun but however eloquently you try to defend Levein I don’t and won’t buy it. He’s doing a totally mediocre job with the 3rd biggest club in Scotland. Quite what the Romanov era (during which, as usual I was proven right way more than not ?) has to do with anything is anyone’s guess but the reality is that regardless of injuries or a few refereeing decisions Levein is only doing a very average job.

Shocking record in big games, appaling record away against top 6 sides, abysmal record against the Old Firm, embarrassing record in the cups etc etc. Unfortunately “perfectly fine” appears totally adequate for those who run the club and indeed some of our support.

What a lack of ambition when someone like Clarke was there during our pathetic managerial search last year. What a lack of accountability for sheer mediocrity. What a shame that there is an acceptance of being also rans. I know nothing will change and we’ll continue along the road to nowhere but at least am prepared to point these facts out and take whatever heat that comes with it! Unlike like your good self who changes views at the drop of a hat, I’ll state my predictions and stick with them. I’m sure you’ll carry favor with some of the halfwits on here for a while after defending our never won heehaw manager though ?

Edited by magicTs

Seymour M Hersh
8 hours ago, davie1980 said:

Many including myself just thought he was last seasons flash in the pan one season wonder manager.

Appears some of us were wrong.

Top of the league with a bang average team, what's he doing right?

Not getting long term injuries to half your first team must help!