Bains Pie

Angus Ogg

Had a Bains pie for the first time in ages today, probably the best pie in the world. I honestly wish that they could be 1 of my 5 day.

wee bit messy though caught me of guard with my first bite

6 minutes ago, Stuart Lyon said:

They are quite good but i've found the consistently have soggy pastry on the bottom!

Probably down to the very moist filling. 

7 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

Had a Bains pie for the first time in ages today, probably the best pie in the world. I honestly wish that they could be 1 of my 5 day.

il 2nd that , theres nothing even comes close .

been here before

Malones, or whatever its now called, on Slateford Road and the bakers at Parkhead next to the Silver Wing do far better pies.

Edited by been here before

Samuel Camazzola

Is this an independent baker or the same as the several shops found in Fife (Baynes)? If it's, the latter, they do cracking filled rolls too. A Chicken mayo baton is immense! 

jack D and coke
29 minutes ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

Is this an independent baker or the same as the several shops found in Fife (Baynes)? If it's, the latter, they do cracking filled rolls too. A Chicken mayo baton is immense! 

No different. Bain’s at Stenhouse is a butchers Baynes is a Bakers. 

Both make tidy pies?

The pie shop (literally called that) near North bridge does braw steak pies. 

Edited by AlimOzturk

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, been here before said:

Malones, or whatever its now called, on Slateford Road and the bakers at Parkhead next to the Silver Wing do far better pies.

It’s McGills and their  butchers is at Currie and I concur about their pies.

Edited by The Real Maroonblood

luckyBatistuta
1 hour ago, been here before said:

McGills pies are really good, they are very similar to Bains (think the guy had something to do with Bains in the past) but not quite as good imo. Murdo MacLeod makes the pies in bakers next to the Silver Wing.

Placid Casual
13 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The pie shop (literally called that) near North bridge does braw steak pies. 

The Piemaker is brilliant. One of my regular go-to places in Edinburgh.

9 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

You know it's a good pie when it's messy.Too many now are dry as **** like sawdust.

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, jack D and coke said:

No different. Bain’s at Stenhouse is a butchers Baynes is a Bakers. 

Both make tidy pies?

?. One may have to investigate these pies that are spoke of. 

5 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Exepected you along. ??

3 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

:oohmatron:

And again.

Captain Price
2 hours ago, Samuel Camazzola said:

This man understands. 

11 minutes ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Bains pies = nothing special IMO

Compared to something like they have at Tynecastle with the grey mince they are good! 

Edited by Roxy Hearts

luckyBatistuta
2 hours ago, vegas-voss said:

You know it's a good pie when it's messy.Too many now are dry as **** like sawdust.

‘You’re doing it wrong vv ?

1 hour ago, Konrad von Carstein said:

Bains pies = nothing special IMO

Sacrilege 

I used to eat the odd Bains pie or three when I worked up at that end of town.  You had to leave them for about an hour to cool down, though.

Ive been to a few oarties where folk have had trays of mini versions of their pies. Amazing. Never bought a family size one and you need to be at the butchers before they sell out of the normal size too!

Quiteblike the steak and gravy ones at Tybie though as well.

luckyBatistuta
14 minutes ago, Haken said:

I used to eat the odd Bains pie or three when I worked up at that end of town.  You had to leave them for about an hour to cool down, though.

It’s funny you saying ‘or three’. With most pies you could eat one or two, but with Bains, I reckon you could eat about 5 or 6 no probs.

8 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

It’s funny you saying ‘or three’. With most pies you could eat one or two, but with Bains, I reckon you could eat about 5 or 6 no probs.

Someone has a elasticated waistband:whistling:

luckyBatistuta
15 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Someone has a elasticated waistband:whistling:

I only weigh 12 stone, you can’t fatten a thoroughbred  :laugh2:   Can eat for Scotland though.

4 hours ago, luckyBatistuta said:

McGills pies are really good, they are very similar to Bains (think the guy had something to do with Bains in the past) but not quite as good imo. Murdo MacLeod makes the pies in bakers next to the Silver Wing.

Is that Murdo the snooker player - I think he worked in Broomie bakers many moons ago -  had the best rolls going

luckyBatistuta
1 minute ago, Eric Shin said:

Is that Murdo the snooker player - I think he worked in Broomie bakers many moons ago -  had the best rolls going

Yup, the very man. 

millerjames398
18 hours ago, Angus Ogg said:

Their bean and tattie mince pies, are legendary as well??

jack D and coke
7 hours ago, Eric Shin said:

Great wee bakers too??

The Real Maroonblood
14 hours ago, Eric Shin said:

The rolls are still tops.

Matthew Le Tissier

Recently moved to Dunfermline and have a Stephens at the end of my road. The steak bridies and Steak and Haggis pies are unreal in weather like this ???

I've ruined a few nice shirts/T-shirts with a Baynes pie. Very greasy when they're warm/hot. That, and the perfect amount of seasoning/pepper, makes it the best pie.

The Gregg's pie, in contrast, is all kinds of wrong.

The Old Tolbooth
8 hours ago, Matthew Le Tissier said:

Recently moved to Dunfermline and have a Stephens at the end of my road. The steak bridies and Steak and Haggis pies are unreal in weather like this ???

You should try the broccoli and cauliflower ones too, they're absolutely amazing, at first I was like nah, a pie should have meat in it hen, so she gave me one to try and it was so good I bought another two :lol: 

There's a butchers in Hawick that does mutton pies, they're absolutely out of this world, only place I've ever seen them as well, but someone must know of somewhere else that does them up here. 

The Future's Maroon
On 05/12/2018 at 09:59, been here before said:

McGills, and yes he used to work at Bains hence the similarity.

A new Indian takeaway has opened next door #SAUCE, honestly it is fecking amazing. Only opened a week ago and everyone I have spoke to who has had stuff cannot praise the place highly enough.