Advice required on Macbook

Neon

I am not an Apple fan but the better half is, If anyone has the current Macbook Air can you let me know if it is value for money or not?

Her birthday is a few days before Christmas so hoping to kill two birds with one stone.

Seymour M Hersh

Never had a MacBook Air but on my 2nd MacBook Pro (the 2nd one is the aluminium case and on the 2nd hard drive since 2011). They are pricey but I like it and they don't suffer virus attacks as badly as microsoft.  If she is a fan and currently uses Macs then getting her one will get you brownie points like you wouldn't believe. 

5 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Never had a MacBook Air but on my 2nd MacBook Pro (the 2nd one is the aluminium case and on the 2nd hard drive since 2011). They are pricey but I like it and they don't suffer virus attacks as badly as microsoft.  If she is a fan and currently uses Macs then getting her one will get you brownie points like you wouldn't believe. 

That's what I am on at the moment, Seymour.  I love it, and agree with your comment on virus attacks.

It's so much better than the iPad I use during the day, but a bit bulky to take out with us.

It’s worth the money IMO, they last for years helped by the annual free OS updates.  Lots of cash but she’ll genuinely have it in 10 years time.

I was provided one by work and I’ve always been under the opinion that they weren’t worth the cost but this MacBook Air is from 2015 and still runs well with no issues at all.

I would probably get myself one in the future if I didn’t have access to one through work anymore.

Had one for years and just now got the new 2018 Air. Definitely worth the price if you're a mac fan. 

I purchased when in the states, so saved 300 quid. Might be worth seeing if you can find a site that delivers. 

1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

i have and am still using a 2009 macbook pro. and i like it, a lot less hassle than windows machines. 

What is the difference from windows ones?

Just want to clarify the Mac laptop line.....

Macbook Pro.  Continually upgraded and for the more power user type.

Macbook Air.  Started in 2008 and they just did a big upgrade this year.

Macbook (what I have).  Started in 2012.  The thinnest and lightest of the Macbooks.  It's a 12" screen in the chasis of a 11" model.

I had a 13" Macbook Air but moved to Macbook. 

I love my Macbook...and was hoping this year would see a refresh.  However seems Apple have decided to focus on the Pro and Air.

The new Air has all the spec of the Macbook (and more current) however is slightly bigger and heavier.  Kind of nearer a pro spec.

So I think your choices are between Pro and new Air.

My suggestion is go to an Apple Shop and try them both out and see what you prefer based on your priorities.

Me, I'm pissed they haven't refreshed the Macbook as it's the best think/light laptop out there.

8 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

What is the difference from windows ones?

Once you are used to it, it is imo more user friendly and is less likely to slow down after time. Also as someone else has said it is less susceptible to viruses. I have replaced the hard drive in mine once. Upgraded to ssd and as I said it is 9 years old and still going strong

9 hours ago, Gards said:

Just want to clarify the Mac laptop line.....

Macbook Pro.  Continually upgraded and for the more power user type.

Macbook Air.  Started in 2008 and they just did a big upgrade this year.

Macbook (what I have).  Started in 2012.  The thinnest and lightest of the Macbooks.  It's a 12" screen in the chasis of a 11" model.

I had a 13" Macbook Air but moved to Macbook. 

I love my Macbook...and was hoping this year would see a refresh.  However seems Apple have decided to focus on the Pro and Air.

The new Air has all the spec of the Macbook (and more current) however is slightly bigger and heavier.  Kind of nearer a pro spec.

So I think your choices are between Pro and new Air.

My suggestion is go to an Apple Shop and try them both out and see what you prefer based on your priorities.

Me, I'm pissed they haven't refreshed the Macbook as it's the best think/light laptop out there.

Thanks Gards, I like the 13" retina display the Air has so think I will get her that one as she will probably just use it for browsing the net.

Read the keyboard has been upgraded from the clunkier previous one.

I'm on my fourth Mac laptop of various versions, having also had two Mac desktops for work during that time, and up until this one I would have said absolutely get it.

Now, nope.

Work bought me the newest MacBook Pro this summer when my 4-year old Pro got water in it. It's easily the worst designed Mac I've had. The lack of any ports except for the USB-C is a royal pain -- the dongles to give you more ports are expensive and they don't always start up right.  The computer runs hot and has worse battery life than my old one. And all the new bells and whistles they added are stupid and don't add anything.

Depending one what you need, I always recommend people at least think about a Chromebook, although I wish they still sold them with mobile data radios in them.

8 hours ago, Ugly American said:

I'm on my fourth Mac laptop of various versions, having also had two Mac desktops for work during that time, and up until this one I would have said absolutely get it.

Now, nope.

Work bought me the newest MacBook Pro this summer when my 4-year old Pro got water in it. It's easily the worst designed Mac I've had. The lack of any ports except for the USB-C is a royal pain -- the dongles to give you more ports are expensive and they don't always start up right.  The computer runs hot and has worse battery life than my old one. And all the new bells and whistles they added are stupid and don't add anything.

Depending one what you need, I always recommend people at least think about a Chromebook, although I wish they still sold them with mobile data radios in them.

I would agree the New MacBook Pro with the fingerprint and display panel isn’t as good as my old robust MacBook Pro which the wife uses without any hassle all links iPhone iPad MacBook, for me I switched back to the desktop iMac as I use a specific Embroidery Software built for Mac and use my MacBook Pro for emails invoicing and general admin and a wee bit football manager when the wife’s not looking. 

I however wouldn’t change back to Microsoft not being sarcastic but for me Mac is idiot proof the less time I have to flaf about the better  

17 hours ago, milky_26 said:

Once you are used to it, it is imo more user friendly and is less likely to slow down after time. Also as someone else has said it is less susceptible to viruses. I have replaced the hard drive in mine once. Upgraded to ssd and as I said it is 9 years old and still going strong

Cheers

can you use cds on it?

if you wanted to play FM or something?

2 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Cheers

can you use cds on it?

if you wanted to play FM or something?

Not unless you have an external drive. And I've had problems connecting an external drive to my new MacBook Pro. Caveat emptor.

12 minutes ago, Ugly American said:

Not unless you have an external drive. And I've had problems connecting an external drive to my new MacBook Pro. Caveat emptor.

I saw a video on the Pro talking about what you said on the Pro running hot, I used to have a sonyVaio that did that exact same thing doesn't seem to be an issue with Air from all I have read thankfully.

Heat issue at 1 min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpbt68uoDk

Also has a software fix for the issue now.

Edited by Neon

12 minutes ago, neonjambo said:

I saw a video on the Pro talking about what you said on the Pro running hot, I used to have a sonyVaio that did that exact same thing doesn't seem to be an issue with Air from all I have read thankfully.

Heat issue at 1 min in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpbt68uoDk

Also has a software fix for the issue now.

TBF it's still a perfectly fine computer. It's just not worth the markup over other computers, and it's the first Mac I've had that I would say that about.

2 hours ago, David McCaig said:

What about the 12.9" IPad Pro as an option?  It seems to be getting great reviews.

Great for people on the go. I wouldn’t replace a computer with one. 

If you know anyone who  is in uni or a  student at school  you can get them to buy you one  I got my MacBook Pro because my daughter was in uni at the time got £200 off the MacBook and also a free pair of Beats think it’s called unidays 

heartgarfunkel
9 hours ago, David McCaig said:

What about the 12.9" IPad Pro as an option?  It seems to be getting great reviews.

Went mental and bought one a few weeks ago David.  Absolutely love it.  Bought the smart folio with the keyboard and the Apple Pencil to fully utilise it.  Have genuinely not touched the MacBook or iMac we also have since.  It is lightning fast, light and very practical.  Only thing that pisses me off is you cannot link a Bluetooth mouse,

On 05/12/2018 at 16:38, Ugly American said:

Now, nope.

Have to agree. Owned a few macbook pros and always loved them but I just started a new job they gave me the latest model (with the touch bar) and it's ****ing pish. I especially hate the touch bar as I can't control my music unless I'm directly using spotify and I'm always pressing the siri button by mistake. The port/battery issues are pretty annoying too. I was pretty shocked by how shite the battery life was.