If you were a landlord?

jake

If I was a landlord I wouldn't really care what their name was/what their background was as long as they could demonstrate that they could pay the rent.

If I was trying to find a flatmate then, yes, I would probably be more likely to follow up with a David. It would more be that I automatically assume that they would have more things in common with me and therefore we would get on better, rather than anything specifically negative about someone with a foreign name.

Edited by Jambos_1874

William H. Bonney

Yeah, the could killing kittens, blowing up schools or over the beano. I don't care. Just give me my ****ing rent money on the 1st of each month. 

11 minutes ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If I was trying to find a flatmate then, yes, I would probably be more likely to follow up with a David.....

What?  Like Ben-Gurion?  :whistling:

1 hour ago, Ulysses said:

What?  Like Ben-Gurion?  :whistling:

LOL. When I read the Gruiaud article I thought : Jews more popular than Muslims. Shame there was no Irish or Rastas in the survey. For balance. ?

10 hours ago, jake said:

What's the other choice?

If it's some young Scottish student who's likely to be getting pished up all the time and throwing regular parties, I'm going with Muhammad. 

As long as the property is looked after and rent is paid on time, I'd not give a shite.

They could be any colour, any sex, any religion, be on housing benefit, be from anywhere, be any sexuality, even be a staunch hibee and it'd make no difference to me.

9 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

If I was a landlord I wouldn't really care what their name was/what their background was as long as they could demonstrate that they could pay the rent.

If I was trying to find a flatmate then, yes, I would probably be more likely to follow up with a David. It would more be that I automatically assume that they would have more things in common with me and therefore we would get on better, rather than anything specifically negative about someone with a foreign name.

Nailed it.

49 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

What's the other choice?

If it's some young Scottish student who's likely to be getting pished up all the time and throwing regular parties, I'm going with Muhammad. 

Those were the two choices.

Just now, Rab87 said:

How about you give your view first, before goading others into giving theirs?

C'mon now.

Goading lol,  as long as their references were good and they worked, not got a problem.

1 minute ago, Rab87 said:

How about you give your view first, before goading others into giving theirs?

C'mon now.

Fair enough.

Flat share I'd have to meet both prospective candidates.

Renting I'd do what any Landlord should do and take references etc.

Hardly goaded anyone but I can understand given my posting history where you are coming from.

5 minutes ago, jake said:

Fair enough.

Flat share I'd have to meet both prospective candidates.

Renting I'd do what any Landlord should do and take references etc.

Hardly goaded anyone but I can understand given my posting history where you are coming from.

Fair enough.

Goaded was probably the wrong word.

I just think it could be perceived as baiting others into a potentially controversial reply, given the subject matter, without first of all giving your opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Rab87 said:

Fair enough.

Goaded was probably the wrong word.

I just think it could be perceived as baiting others into a potentially controversial reply, given the subject matter, without first of all giving your opinion. 

Who me?? 

Don't think any reply if honest is controversial.

Governor Tarkin
18 minutes ago, rael11 said:

Best tenants I had were a family of muslims. Very respectful of the property and never late with the rent. 

Both of the Pakistani men who have rented my slum property have neglected the shower room and bog to the extent that they've needed extensive renovation. 

It took a professional cleaning company three days to sort the place out after the last guy, and the current chap neglected to report a water leak from upstairs for four months. 

Nae boozy parties though.

Edited by Governor Tarkin

adambraejambo

My tenant is  perfect . He always has plastic sheeting lying around all the floors . Carpets are still pristine condition. He pays in cash always 3 months upfront at time . He even paid with his own cash to soundproof the flat. Best tenant ever .The flat always smells like it just been deep  cleaned as well . He told me he was a chef as he has so many Knives in his kitchen. Only thing weird Is the fact he keeps two massive chest freezers in spare room, both padlocked. But with the price of a good steak these days I suppose I can't blame him. 

We are landlords.

Not really bothered who our tenants are, with only two exceptions.  We don’t allow pets or smokers.

12 hours ago, Dino Velvet said:

Yeah, the could killing kittens, blowing up schools or over the beano. I don't care. Just give me my ****ing rent money on the 1st of each month. 

:lol: 

fabienleclerq

When I started renting my flat I got told to avoid social Tennant's and Scottish people. I ignored it once and paid the price. 

The flat was a mess they pissed off all the neighbors and never paid their rent. I'd take Mohamed.

2 hours ago, Der Kaiser said:

Room for rent. Would suit fit female, mid 20's with dubious morals and low expectations. 

Can I still say this though?

Was thinking of putting an advert on gumtree similar to this very soon.  Only managed to scrape my mortgage payment last week.  Got an empty spare room though.

scott herbertson
5 hours ago, fabienleclerq said:

When I started renting my flat I got told to avoid social Tennant's and Scottish people. I ignored it once and paid the price. 

The flat was a mess they pissed off all the neighbors and never paid their rent. I'd take Mohamed.

I have failed to avoid Tennants since i was 15, and paid the price too.

1 minute ago, scott herbertson said:

:biggrin: 

scott herbertson

I had one of my wife's Muslim employees  as a lodger for about a year a few years back. Excellent guy and no problems. I have tenants now, scottish and English again no problems - it's all about character judgement, just like employing people. Nothing to do with faith or culture

3 hours ago, ri Alban said:

A straight choice between his praying and your goose stepping. Sorry Jake, it's not you.

The very thought of renting in Paisley would likely see me and a Muslim not interested anyway .

fabienleclerq
2 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

?

Always tell tennants to keep the house tidy inside and outside nothing worse than having junk all about the garden and neighbours complaining. 

10 hours ago, jake said:

The very thought of renting in Paisley would likely see me and a Muslim not interested anyway .

I'm sure HMP Edinburgh is treating you quite well, for free.

Governor Tarkin
12 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

I had one of my wife's Muslim employees  as a lodger for about a year a few years back. Excellent guy and no problems. I have tenants now, scottish and English again no problems - it's all about character judgement, just like employing people. Nothing to do with faith or culture

Spot on.

N Lincs Jambo

Interesting question. Like Morgan I am a landlord and at one property around 12-15 years ago I would not have housed a Muslim. Note I use the word housed not not accepted. The reason for this was that a neighbour about 3 doors down was one of the most serious BNP thugs in the whole of the UK and anyone who wasn’t white English effectively got “evicted “. 

Once he moved on the neighbourhood ambience changed and my policy would have changed too but whilst he ruled that street there was no way I would have tenanted someone there knowing full well that there lives would have been made a misery from the day they moved in.