Sir George White

Meadows

It is with such as heavy heart I write this posting, To those who have no idea whom he is, to summarise......George is an 89 ( and a half) year old devout Jambo. However, that does not in anyway do him justice. To use George’s words, he was connected to HMFC via the umbilical cord! 

He then supported our club home and away , a season ticket holder for over SIXTY years , a gentleman, well groomed and never with a negative word about any of our opponents, indeed until recently he attended Football Memories at Tynecastle where at 89 he looked after the “Auld yin’s”, mostly in their 70’s ! 

However, the ravages  of time have caught up with our George , his very recent social media post ( yes, at 89 ! ) said , again in his own words he is now facing the final curtain . With days ( at best ) to say his farewells to close family, lived ones and friends ..... I feel it’s appropriate to register this post in the hope that modern technology savvy George can read this and hopefully feel the love from his fellow Jambo’s . 

JD & Coke please ..... 

Edited by Meadows

Sounds like a proper Hearts man that follows the club through thin, I'm sure he'll have some cracking memories over the years and will have seen some cracking players turn out for us! Really sorry to hear his health his failing him. Wish him all the best

I bet he has seen many a legend turn out for Hearts & seen many a fine opposition player both at Tynecastle & away from home. I'm sure he's seen some fantastic matches & obviously famous wins for us through the years. Proper supporter through thick & thin & sounds a proper gentleman also. All the best! 

J.T.F.Robertson

George, you sound like a really decent bloke and, for what it's worth, I applaud you. 

You sound like the living embodiment of a proper Hearts man George.

You'll have seen incredible changes at Tynecastle over those 60 years, enjoyed watching some great Hearts team but been put through the wringer by a few teams too.

Respect to you sir.

Met George in the Tynie Arms before a match last season. Always said hello to him any time I saw him afterwards. Lovely, lovely man. Sad to hear this news. Be a very sad day when he eventually leaves us. Thinking about you from over here in Japan, George. X

Great post and always good to hear of a true Jambo. A man who has seen it all - us winning the league, being close to the abyss and then thumping the hibees 5-1 in the 2012 cup final. Much respect to George. 

Got a friend of George's on Facebook and it was great to see he made it to Murrayfield for the semi despite not being in great health! Shame it was a shite game. :)

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Sounds like a real gent and a credit to Heart of Midlothian FC. 

My best regards to you, Sir George, should you read this. 

I've had the privilege of speaking with Sir George on a couple of occasions in Dickens pub.  His absolute devotion to the Jambos could never be understated.  A gentleman and its sad to hear of his plight.  

All the Best George. You've seen a lot more than most of us. The good and the bad. A life well lived is it's own reward my man. 

I will tell you what is great about Meadows post. The fact that the gentleman in question will, we hope, be able to read all the kind things that are said about him. To often we leave it too late to tell people who we care about our feelings for them.

I don't know you George but if you read this can I just say that in all your long life you made one great decision and that was to follow the Hearts.

All the best to you.

5 hours ago, corryjambo said:

I will tell you what is great about Meadows post. The fact that the gentleman in question will, we hope, be able to read all the kind things that are said about him. To often we leave it too late to tell people who we care about our feelings for them.

I don't know you George but if you read this can I just say that in all your long life you made one great decision and that was to follow the Hearts.

All the best to you.

Have to agree , it’s pointless singing people’s praises after they’ve gone . Tell people when / while you can . 

I don’t think I ever even George when he didn’t have on a shirt and tie. Always smartly dressed. Some man is George....

5 hours ago, Tams bird said:

I don’t think I ever even George when he didn’t have on a shirt and tie. Always smartly dressed. Some man is George....

My late dad was like that.  Think he slept in a shirt and tie.

Sorry to say I've never met George, but my late father was from the same generation and had some stories to tell of the 1950s. I was brought up on stories of the exploits of Willie Bauld and the Terrible Trio. Imagine witnessing all these trophies won in such a short time, including two league titles, at a time when you didn't begrudge Hibs their successes (because both teams were thriving).

Memories like these are great treasure. 

8 hours ago, Big Slim Stylee said:

Lovely post. Been sad to read his FB posts of late but he's kept up his fantastic humour.

Agree with this,I spoke to him a couple of weeks back he joked he would be asking for a part refund on his season ticket as he wouldn’t be here to use it.All the best auld yin.

iwasthere1954
On 03/12/2018 at 09:35, corryjambo said:

All the best to you.

Beautifully put. It puts lots of things into perspective.

I've always enjoyed having a blether with George,he really is a Gentleman and as big a Jambo as you'd ever meet.Sorry to hear he isn't keeping too we'll.Take care "Sir George".

Yes I gather that George sadly passed away this morning. 

A truly great Hearts man and one of the nicest men you could hope to meet. 

Rest easy George

GC

Sad news, rest in peace George.

Some great comments on this thread about him, nice man, always smart, devoted his time to hearts and the big hearts football memories, such a decent individual whom a lot of the younger fans in our support could learn a thing or 2 from.

Fxxx the SPFL

sad news RIP George i'm sure i possibly met him on a couple of occasions In Dickens and at the museum if he had white hair and when you spoke to him all he wanted to do was tell you everything and anything about Hearts.