Ayr

TNCASTLE

In the first half hour today yet another double for Shankland. Meanwhile we are completely devoid of any attacking threat up front. Good job Levein, good job.

Just now, magicTs said:

In the first half hour today yet another double for Shankland. Meanwhile we are completely devoid of any attacking threat up front. Good job Levein, good job.

would have cost about £250k which is roughly what I think we paid for Wighton but not good enough for us though

2 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

would have cost about £250k which is roughly what I think we paid for Wighton but not good enough for us though

Jesus wept.................repeatedly.......incredible money for a nobody

8 minutes ago, magicTs said:

We would ruin Shankland. Our centre forwards have to make their own goals.

Ayr are going to run away with the league. Pity they wouldn’t be allowed to play at Somerset if they get promoted. The league needs to change the rules. Forget all seated stadia. First and foremost they need to make sure the teams in the league have a grass pitch and not a monstrosity like Livi’s. Plastic pitch, rip it up or you’re not promoted.

2 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Ayr are going to run away with the league. Pity they wouldn’t be allowed to play at Somerset if they get promoted. The league needs to change the rules. Forget all seated stadia. First and foremost they need to make sure the teams in the league have a grass pitch and not a monstrosity like Livi’s. Plastic pitch, rip it up or you’re not promoted.

Plastic pitches the scourge of top flight Scottish football. by and large refuse to go to go games on those pitches so as not to help fund their clubs owners

Just now, maroonsgotop said:

Plastic pitches the scourge of top flight Scottish football. by and large refuse to go to go games on those pitches so as not to help fund their clubs owners

No sooner did I type that do Ross County score. 

haveyouheard 22
8 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Ross C maybe say otherwise

41 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

No it wouldn't, Swansea are reckoned to have bid £400k so there's your starting point.

Edit: Got a link to show that we paid roughly £250k for Wighton?

Edited by graygo

4 minutes ago, graygo said:

No it wouldn't, Swansea are reckoned to have bid £400k so there's your starting point.

Edit: Got a link to show that we paid roughly £250k for Wighton?

that do you

THE WIGHT STUFF

Craig Wighton to Hearts – Dundee striker on verge of Jambos transfer as Demetri Mitchell rejoins on season-long loan

SunSport understands the Tynecastle side have agreed a deal for the 21-year-old Dens Park forward

By Robert Thomson
29th August 2018, 7:49 am
Updated: 29th August 2018, 7:50 am

HEARTS are set to complete the £250,000 signing of Dundee striker Craig Wighton.

SunSport understands the Jambos have agreed a deal for the 21-year-old forward and expect to conclude the transfer on Wednesday.

Show Replies

11 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

that do you

THE WIGHT STUFF

Craig Wighton to Hearts – Dundee striker on verge of Jambos transfer as Demetri Mitchell rejoins on season-long loan

SunSport understands the Tynecastle side have agreed a deal for the 21-year-old Dens Park forward

By Robert Thomson
29th August 2018, 7:49 am
Updated: 29th August 2018, 7:50 am

HEARTS are set to complete the £250,000 signing of Dundee striker Craig Wighton.

SunSport understands the Jambos have agreed a deal for the 21-year-old forward and expect to conclude the transfer on Wednesday.

"Sunsport understands"

Aye that'll do.  :rofl: 

3 minutes ago, maroonsgotop said:

just telling you what was reported.

try this one...……………..same fee quoted

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/hearts/craig-wighton...

How about this one?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-celtic-sunderland-target-15553586

Bottom line is that we obviouly couldn't get him for £250k or he would be here.

8 minutes ago, graygo said:

How about this one?

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/swansea-city-celtic-sunderland-target-15553586

Bottom line is that we obviouly couldn't get him for £250k or he would be here.

that's what's being reported now, not what was being reported back in August when we signed Wighton for £250k from Dundee.  Dundee and a club 'south of the border' had bids of £150k rejected back in August

try the bbc link for the relevant period

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45100029

Jambo diehard

An Ayr supporting mate in my work has told me that he is going, Jan or Summer, if Jan they are looking to loan him till season end, I've been to two games with him and he's looked superb, a lower league I undestand but he is a scorer and can create his own goals as much as many other strikers, he would score, imo anyway in the SPFL but not sure CL has ever been interested? 

1 minute ago, maroonsgotop said:

that's what's being reported now, not what was being reported back in August when we signed Wighton for £250k from Dundee.  Dundee and a club 'south of the border' had bids of £150k rejected back in August

try the bbc link for the relevant period

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45100029

That's a better link, thanks for that and apologies you look to have been correct.

3 minutes ago, graygo said:

That's a better link, thanks for that and apologies you look to have been correct.

no problem. everyone is a bit pissed off today. HHGH

3 hours ago, amadjambo said:

The SPFL have already confirmed that Somerset is fine for the

top league and all the standing areas can be used. The rules were changed when the leagues combined a few years ago...

chester copperpot
3 hours ago, Jambo diehard said:

An Ayr supporting mate in my work has told me that he is going, Jan or Summer, if Jan they are looking to loan him till season end, I've been to two games with him and he's looked superb, a lower league I undestand but he is a scorer and can create his own goals as much as many other strikers, he would score, imo anyway in the SPFL but not sure CL has ever been interested? 

He's good so probably not!

2 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

top league and all the standing areas can be used. The rules were changed when the leagues combined a few years ago...

Does that mean we can rip out all the seats and go back to terracing ?

2 minutes ago, luckydug said:

Does that mean we can rip out all the seats and go back to terracing ?

Now that I am not sure...I guess if the local authority signs off on it then yes...I think it would have to be purpose built and designed terracing or safe standing.

5 hours ago, Jambo diehard said:

I've watched him a couple of times and thought he was a bit of a one trick pony - head for the centre of goal, just outside the six yard line, turn in the cross. I don't think he'll get away with that against better defenders!

Having said that I really haven't seen much more of him so maybe he's got a lot more in his locker that I haven't seen

Pasquale for King
7 hours ago, Jambo diehard said:

Is he 6’5” brick shithouse?or nearly 40 or a project? Nope not interested ?.

On 02/12/2018 at 11:53, Allowayjambo1874 said:

You’ve obviously not been in Ayr for 30 years if you believe there are great pubs around the ground and butlins is the place to go for an easy lay! 

On 09/12/2018 at 00:39, Mikey1874 said:

Just said on Off the Ball SPFL have confirmed Ayr will be okay to join Premiership with own ground.

I said MEMORIES!

Another memory of Ayr United was once many Moons ago I attended a mid week match at Tynie with a Lawyer mate and one of his clients. I think it was a league cup game.

Anyway Client was a crazy Ayr United fan and he told me he was one day going to buy Ayr United and “make them the best team in Britain”. Needless to say I had a good laugh, the bloke was a scrap metal dealer. Some years later this bloke DID offer to buy Ayr and I understand he was told to feck off. Eventually he bought Rangers instead....and everybody knows who I am talking about. 

My Lawyer mate ( being a Jambo of course), took some time to forgive his client!

I am going on London Hearts to trace the date of this Hearts v Ayr game.

14 minutes ago, TNCASTLE said:

Another memory of Ayr United was once many Moons ago I attended a mid week match at Tynie with a Lawyer mate and one of his clients. I think it was a league cup game.

Anyway Client was a crazy Ayr United fan and he told me he was one day going to buy Ayr United and “make them the best team in Britain”. Needless to say I had a good laugh, the bloke was a scrap metal dealer. Some years later this bloke DID offer to buy Ayr and I understand he was told to feck off. Eventually he bought Rangers instead....and everybody knows who I am talking about. 

My Lawyer mate ( being a Jambo of course), took some time to forgive his client!

I am going on London Hearts to trace the date of this Hearts v Ayr game.

19th March 1975, league, 1-0 win!

44 minutes ago, TNCASTLE said:

I said MEMORIES!

Actually it was a cup replay in the 70’s.

Tynie was 1-1 and Somerset we won 2-1,

around 16,000 in attendance.Butlins was probably shut by then!

I’d love us to take a punt on Shankland. We should have done so when we sold Lafferty. Not replacing Lafferty there and then, has in hindsight come back and boabied us rotten. Instead we spent the fee that could have secured a guy that scores goals, on a Dundee reject. ?‍♂️

Shankland might be a lower league striker, he might be another Kris Boyd at this level, either way someone has to take a punt and find out.

His goal record over the last few seasons suggests that he’d belt them in at this level no bother and is just a natural goal scorer. Even at Scottish Championship level, who was the last striker to bang in more goals than games, 18 in 17 games, 28 goals in 25 games this season or something like that with another 15-16 games left. 29 in 33 last season and he’s only 23 so there’s room for improvement to refine other aspects of his game.

He’ll end up at Rangers or something and he’ll be another Kris Boyd, does **** all for 95% of the game an bangs in a hattrick. 

Edited by Cruyff Turn

Seymour M Hersh
3 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

There’s been quite a few lower league goal scorers that have done it at this level and beyond. It just seems that we end up with all the shite ones. 

Can you mention some names? I'm sure there are some who have made the leap successfully I'm just having a senior moment trying to think of them.

Shankland could be on for a 50 goal season though which separates him from the usual lower league top goalscorer. Cummings at his best barely managed half that. Although it's a bit mad that Dobbie is doing the same thing this year. Maybe defences are worse than they used to be at that level. Either way I can understand not signing shankland based on one top season in league 1 at the age of 22 but obviously he's proved any doubters wrong this year, it's easy to say we should have signed him. Going to be interesting to see what happens with him over the next couple of years. 

12 hours ago, JamboGraham said:

Really? Didn’t know that. Great news.

6 hours ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Can you mention some names? I'm sure there are some who have made the leap successfully I'm just having a senior moment trying to think of them.

Griffiths, Cummings, Nacho Novo, Adam Rooney, Stevie May, our very own John Robertson started in the Championship/old second Division. I’m sure there’s many more. 

Let’s never sign another player from the Championship  ever again though because  Wyness and Reilly were shite.  :laugh:

Edited by Cruyff Turn

23 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Griffiths, Cummings, Nacho Novo, Adam Rooney, Stevie May, our very own John Robertson started in the Championship/old second Division. I’m sure there’s many more. 

Let’s never sign another player from the Championship  ever again though because  Wyness and Reilly were shite.  :laugh:

Gordon Durie played even lower down the leagues and he didn’t do too badly. Didn’t Darren Jackson come from Meadowbank Thistle? And while not a striker, Paul Hartley played in the Championship for Saints, and he was amazing.

27 minutes ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Agree in general but wouldn't put Cummings in there :lol: 2 goals in 30 prem games. 

44 minutes ago, amadjambo said:

Gordon Durie played even lower down the leagues and he didn’t do too badly. Didn’t Darren Jackson come from Meadowbank Thistle? And while not a striker, Paul Hartley played in the Championship for Saints, and he was amazing.

If we’re looking at defenders, midfielders etc... there’s hundreds of players who’ve went on to become top players at our level. Each and everyone of them a punt. Hartley was a massive punt by Levein given he’d had about 10 clubs by the time we’d signed him. 

40 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Agree in general but wouldn't put Cummings in there :lol: 2 goals in 30 prem games. 

Indeed, 1in 14 for Notts Forest, 6 in 18 at Rangers and 6 in 17 at Peterborough.

Nevertheless I think he’d score goals at this level, maybe not prolific but certainly good enough to play in the SPFL. 

Seymour M Hersh
1 hour ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Rooney played for ICT in the SPL and got them promoted. I'll rule Robbo out as it's buying players from other clubs in lower divisions as opposed to coming through our ranks. Cummings has not been a success in the top league.  I'll rule out May as well as he was on loan twice but I think St J were in the top league when he broke through.

16 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Rooney played for ICT in the SPL and got them promoted. I'll rule Robbo out as it's buying players from other clubs in lower divisions as opposed to coming through our ranks. Cummings has not been a success in the top league.  I'll rule out May as well as he was on loan twice but I think St J were in the top league when he broke through.

Adam Rooney came from the lower leagues in England and only scored 6 goals in 36 games in his first season in the SPL at ICT, before scoring loads in the Championship and going on to score many and proving himself at this level.

May scored goals at lower levels and then did it in the SPL before moving for millions and getting injured.

Jason Cummings might not have been prolific so far at a higher level than the Championship but the fact Rangers thought he was good enough for them sort of says he’d be good enough in the SPL long term. 6 in 18 isn’t a terrible return.

Kris Doolan at Partick scored more than 10 goals every season he played for them in the SPL and he was signed from a Junior team.

Gary Wales although not prolific wasn’t a bad signing before getting snapped by Arthur Numan.

It doesn’t matter when they moved on or the circumstances. The point is there has been players who have done it at a lower level then moved up and still scored goals. Not everyone of them will be Gavin Reilly or Dennis Wyness who simply weren’t good enough to play at this level.

There is nothing wrong with signing players from lower levels and given we’ve pissed away about £300,000-400,000 on Wighton and Clare, two players completely unproven at any level, Shankland looks like he would have been the better punt to take and still does given our lack of options upfront. 

The refusal to acknowledge or even want to sign Shankland based on the signing Dennis Wyness is a mental position. 

Siphiwe Tshabalala

Ayr say they’ve never even spoken to anyone at Swansea. 

Just what I’ve heard.

Ask his agent.

Adam Rooney came from the lower leagues in England and only scored 6 goals in 36 games in his first season in the SPL at ICT, before scoring loads in the Championship and going on to score many and proving himself at this level.

May scored goals at lower levels and then did it in the SPL before moving for millions and getting injured.

Jason Cummings might not have been prolific so far at a higher level than the Championship but the fact Rangers thought he was good enough for them sort of says he’d be good enough in the SPL long term. 6 in 18 isn’t a terrible return.

Kris Doolan at Partick scored more than 10 goals every season he played for them in the SPL and he was signed from a Junior team.

Gary Wales although not prolific wasn’t a bad signing before getting snapped by Arthur Numan.

It doesn’t matter when they moved on or the circumstances. The point is there has been players who have done it at a lower level then moved up and still scored goals. Not everyone of them will be Gavin Reilly or Dennis Wyness who simply weren’t good enough to play at this level.

There is nothing wrong with signing players from lower levels and given we’ve pissed away about £300,000-400,000 on Wighton and Clare, two players completely unproven at any level, Shankland looks like he would have been the better punt to take and still does given our lack of options upfront. 

The refusal to acknowledge or even want to sign Shankland based on the signing Dennis Wyness is a mental position. 

I’m still hopeful that Clare will come good. Wighton on the other hand...

10 hours ago, TNCASTLE said:

Actually it was a cup replay in the 70’s.

Tynie was 1-1 and Somerset we won 2-1,

around 16,000 in attendance.Butlins was probably shut by then!

Just now, amadjambo said:

I’m still hopeful that Clare will come good. Wighton on the other hand...

Wonder if this is the game were a half brick just whizzed past my nose lol

3 hours ago, Siphiwe Tshabalala said:

Just what I’ve heard.

Ask his agent.

They turned down £200k from Swansea and McCall said it would take at least £500k.