Ayr

TNCASTLE

Great away day at Somerset Park and the Pubs around, not to mention memories of the “free brothel” that was Butlins.

Looks to me as a big chance of getting to the SPL next year. 

Also the Ayr v Kilmarnock derby has the bluster of the other three main ones.

As I write this they are putting Arabs to the sword..again!

Stupid Sexy Flanders

What are the rules regarding stadiums in the Premiership, would they be able to play at Somerset or would they have to share with Killie? Mind Gretna had to play at Motherwell. 

9 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

What are the rules regarding stadiums in the Premiership, would they be able to play at Somerset or would they have to share with Killie? Mind Gretna had to play at Motherwell. 

9 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Interesting, I don’t know the current rules. It shouldn’t stop them!

Ian McCall (Ayr) has always been a good coach and gets his teams trying to play football. Probably not got the presence for bigger clubs but is doing some job this season. 

57 minutes ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

Good question. No idea if the 6,000 seat rule is still in effect. 

Doubt they’d strike an agreement with Kilmarnock over a ground share though. Be like us striking one with Hibernian. 

32 minutes ago, Phil Dunphy said:

Good question. No idea if the 6,000 seat rule is still in effect. 

Doubt they’d strike an agreement with Kilmarnock over a ground share though. Be like us striking one with Hibernian. 

Spot on, this would never happen

Not particularly relevant to Ayr United football club but I met two Hearts fans in deepest darkest Ayr around the year 2000 while working away from home and in digs.  

One was an older Hearts fan. The guy idolised Alex Young and said he used to travel to Goodson Park to watch him when Hearts weren’t at home after Young moved to Everton. 

The other JT was a bloke I stumbled upon while looking for materials in an industrial estate. 

Random, but I love these things when related to Hearts. 

Jambos everywhere. 

FTH 

MacDonald Jardine
1 hour ago, TNCASTLE said:

Great away day at Somerset Park and the Pubs around, not to mention memories of the “free brothel” that was Butlins.

My dad's family lived in Ayr and I went to a few of their games as a kid, including one Ayrshire derby. 

It would be good to see them back.

Last time I was down at Somerset was a BP Youth Cup tie in early 1993. Ayr 0 Hearts 6. Iirc, it was the semi final on the way to winning it with Locke, McManus, Ritchie, Thomas etc. that year.

Would be nice to see Ayr in the top flight again. Haven't been in it for 40 years I believe.

Ps. Met Claire and her mum that night. I hope she's recovering well after the League Cup semi final incident. 

Good luck to them. Played brilliant v Dundee Utd.

However they're going to have to do a fair bit of work to Somerset park if they come up? Only 1,500 seated currently (?) in a 10,000 capacity ground.

1 hour ago, davemclaren said:

Robbed the last time we played there imo. ?

Was that the cup game when we managed to score no penalties? Now THAT really WAS a long journey home. ?

Fozzyonthefence
4 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

They’d need to come up with a ground share because their stadium isn’t fit for purpose.  Think the rules are now minimum 6,000 all seater?  Can’t see Killie agreeing to it.

Unfortunately for them, Shankland's goals tally is not going to go unnoticed in January.

6 months left on his contract.

If they do get promoted, I do hope they are allowed to play at home.   An old school type of stadium, that suits their needs, and I have no issue with this. 

I ca t be bothered with these rules on the stadiums, but at the same time, rules that allow 100% artificial pitches, some of which are terrible. 

Stupid Sexy Flanders
2 hours ago, Paolo said:

If they do get promoted, I do hope they are allowed to play at home.   An old school type of stadium, that suits their needs, and I have no issue with this. 

I ca t be bothered with these rules on the stadiums, but at the same time, rules that allow 100% artificial pitches, some of which are terrible. 

It's ludicrous that Somerset could host Rangers in the Championship, with a huge away support, but apparently isn't fit to host Hamilton or Livingston in the Premiership. 

Teams like Ayr are the reason we should look at a 16 or 18 team league.

The derby with Kilmarnock brings interest for neutrals and with the extra money from playing the bigger clubs they’d be able to upgrade their facilities.

4 minutes ago, By the light said:

Teams like Ayr are the reason we should look at a 16 or 18 team league.

The derby with Kilmarnock brings interest for neutrals and with the extra money from playing the bigger clubs they’d be able to upgrade their facilities.

But but but the old firm have to play 4x times a sesson  ?

Samuel Camazzola
1 hour ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

It's ludicrous that Somerset could host Rangers in the Championship, with a huge away support, but apparently isn't fit to host Hamilton or Livingston in the Premiership. 

Exactly. Ridiculous rule. 

29 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Just seen the result,   

5-0 at Tannadice, Shankland scores 4.

:vrwow:

Poor Robbie.

Not the first time they've been battered like that at home this season, County did the same thing. Neilson has done well so far but Ayr are a good side.

2 minutes ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Not the first time they've been battered like that at home this season, County did the same thing. Neilson has done well so far but Ayr are a good side.

It's going to make the transfer window interesting.

There will be bids that Ayr or the player can't turn down.

He could be next to being irreplaceable for them.

8 hours ago, Wee Mikey said:

Was that the cup game when we managed to score no penalties? Now THAT really WAS a long journey home. ?

Yip. Had a goal chopped off fir nothing as well. 

portobellojambo1
13 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

Yip. Had a goal chopped off fir nothing as well. 

That game was the first time I'd been back to Somerset Park since I was about 15 years old, and the ground hadn't changed at all over the 40 year since my last visit. As for the goal Brines got it horribly wrong, so it was very much a standard type of performance from him.

11 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Hellish trip home after a loss but would be nice to have em back

Very good point!!!

9 hours ago, Jamhammer said:

Hellish trip home after a loss but would be nice to have em back

20 hours ago, Debut 4 said:

Not particularly relevant to Ayr United football club but I met two Hearts fans in deepest darkest Ayr around the year 2000 while working away from home and in digs.  

One was an older Hearts fan. The guy idolised Alex Young and said he used to travel to Goodson Park to watch him when Hearts weren’t at home after Young moved to Everton. 

The other JT was a bloke I stumbled upon while looking for materials in an industrial estate. 

Random, but I love these things when related to Hearts. 

Jambos everywhere. 

FTH 

Being an Ayrshire lad born and bred myself I can confirm that there are a fair few Hearts around across in Burns country. There's also still a bus which runs from Irvine, Prestwick etc to all matches at Tynie ?

4 minutes ago, Rabbie_Burns said:

Being an Ayrshire lad born and bred myself I can confirm that there are a fair few Hearts around across in Burns country. There's also still a bus which runs from Irvine, Prestwick etc to all matches at Tynie ?

Yip

let's not forget the legendary Irvine Jambo

:lol:

Went to Somerset park for a cup replay in the seventies. All I remember about it was Donald Ford scoring the winner with a header, extra time I think.

11 minutes ago, Rabbie_Burns said:

??

6 minutes ago, Tommy Brown said:

Yip

let's not forget the legendary Irvine Jambo

:lol:

Unforgettable and unforgivable in equal measures ?

12 hours ago, Stupid Sexy Flanders said:

I have to agree, entry to the top league should be based on merit only

2 minutes ago, Jambojamie91 said:

There is no rules for minimum seating now, so ayr are eligible to come up and play there games at Somerset park

This is certainly what I've been hearing from my Ayr supporting mates

1 minute ago, Jambojamie91 said:

There is no rules for minimum seating now, so ayr are eligible to come up and play there games at Somerset park

Good. But they'd only be allowed 1500 fans because their terracing isn't allowed, safe standing only, right?

4 hours ago, Smithee said:

Good. But they'd only be allowed 1500 fans because their terracing isn't allowed, safe standing only, right?

Daily Record are reporting that the SPFL have confirmed that the minimum seating requirement went with the league merger and that standing areas can be used...

Bring Back Paulo Sergio
5 minutes ago, JamboGraham said:

Daily Record are reporting that the SPFL have confirmed that the minimum seating requirement went with the league merger and that standing areas can be used...

Excellent. I'll probably be at every away game next season as I'm soon to be banned from Tynecastle.

Hope they come up.

Allowayjambo1874
On 30/11/2018 at 21:42, TNCASTLE said:

You’ve obviously not been in Ayr for 30 years if you believe there are great pubs around the ground and butlins is the place to go for an easy lay! 

On 01/12/2018 at 01:05, heartsfc_fan said:

Good luck to them. Played brilliant v Dundee Utd.

However they're going to have to do a fair bit of work to Somerset park if they come up? Only 1,500 seated currently (?) in a 10,000 capacity ground.

I think if it's "safe standing" then it should be acceptable. More so than plastic pitches.

letsalldothebeattie

Despite being knocked out the league cup to them back in 2011/12 season at Somerset Park I quite enjoyed that trip and would love to see them come up to the top flight. A team who unlike Hamilton would bring a lot to the league 

On ‎30‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 21:42, TNCASTLE said:

What? Hearts v hibs, Dundee v Dundee utd and Ross County v ICT?

On 02/12/2018 at 00:39, JamboGraham said:

Just said on Off the Ball SPFL have confirmed Ayr will be okay to join Premiership with own ground.