Out of control youth - what's the answer?

jumpship

Stanley, County Durham

Up to 100 teenagers surrounded police in a town centre before a mob attacked officers during an "appalling" disturbance.

Fireworks and bricks were launched and a community officer was punched in the face in Stanley, County Durham.

Police have since launched a text alerts service to inform parents of local disorder, urging them to "take responsibility" for their children.

It is hoped they will be encouraged to collect teenagers from disturbances.

Officers were called out to reports of a "vulnerable female" at the bus station in the town on the night of 3 November.

'Showing off'

They were bombarded by the youths upon arrival, then set upon by about 20 hoodie-wearing youngsters in an attack captured on the officers' body cams.

Sgt Dave Clarke said his officers had been forced to use pepper spray after tensions "escalated" when some teenagers had objected to being told what to do.

"You had a group of six to 10 boys wanting to show off in front of their friends, and that developed into kicks, karate kicks, punching and people jumping around sparring," he said.

"After at least 10 warnings, the officers used the pepper spray."

10 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

A good old fashioned truncheoning is required.

:ruiner:

You'll have the beast squad at your door doing a live sting with that talk.

Not anything new, it has always broken out. In the late 50's early sixties there was a gang started in Niddrie, the Jacobites. They done a good job of disturbing the peace, and got worse violent etc. The division started a section of policemen, no women on the group hence policemen, we had a certain laxity in the rules. Harrasment, arrests caused some solution but the ultimate end was brought to by the group or some of the themselves.

A young fellow on a wheelchair was coming home about 10.00pm when three of the worthies saw fit to give him a hard time, and ended up assaulting him. Police were advised and attended and arrests were made. One of the arrested was pointed out as the actual assaultee. It was cowardly, it was vicious and it is alleged that most of the police officers who came into Braid Place that night went to have a look at this horrible individual, it was again alleged but never proved that he was given a practical lesson in how it felt to be helpless and the victim of assault.

Police and public attitudes changed after this, there was little sympathy for the group who were heroic when in a crowd, but lacked the same fortitude when alone, this ultimately led to the end of their reign.

Sometimes in life force and defiance of the rules has to be met in a similar fashion, no doubt will be highly criticised but it might be some of the reason that most nights most people go to bed to sleep in the knowledge that there is someone out there who has there interests at heart. Just like the old prostate exam, not the most delicate or enjoyable thing, but it achieves its purpose.

6 minutes ago, bobsharp said:

Not anything new, it has always broken out. In the late 50's early sixties there was a gang started in Niddrie, the Jacobites. They done a good job of disturbing the peace, and got worse violent etc. The division started a section of policemen, no women on the group hence policemen, we had a certain laxity in the rules. Harrasment, arrests caused some solution but the ultimate end was brought to by the group or some of the themselves.

A young fellow on a wheelchair was coming home about 10.00pm when three of the worthies saw fit to give him a hard time, and ended up assaulting him. Police were advised and attended and arrests were made. One of the arrested was pointed out as the actual assaultee. It was cowardly, it was vicious and it is alleged that most of the police officers who came into Braid Place that night went to have a look at this horrible individual, it was again alleged but never proved that he was given a practical lesson in how it felt to be helpless and the victim of assault.

Police and public attitudes changed after this, there was little sympathy for the group who were heroic when in a crowd, but lacked the same fortitude when alone, this ultimately led to the end of their reign.

Sometimes in life force and defiance of the rules has to be met in a similar fashion, no doubt will be highly criticised but it might be some of the reason that most nights most people go to bed to sleep in the knowledge that there is someone out there who has there interests at heart. Just like the old prostate exam, not the most delicate or enjoyable thing, but it achieves its purpose.

Well said,a quiet word on there own is sometimes required.?

Салатные палочки

Said this morning when I seen it. Send in the riot squad and the horses. Give them ten minutes to disperse then steam in. Dogs, truncheons, horses the lot. 

Салатные палочки
37 minutes ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

2 clear warnings, then release the dogs and B specials.

Bring back the SPG. 

Give them season tickets for their local football ground. It’s perfectly acceptable to behave differently in a football ground than it is elsewhere.

Jail the offenders.

Address the wider social issues in order to prevent further unrest.

As Bob says, this has been going on since the razor gangs of the 1950s.

AlphonseCapone

Arseholes being arseholes. Been going on since the beginning of time really hasn't it. When you're younger you're more likely to be arsehole. 

I'm sure someone will be along to blame it on avocados and frappuchinos.

2 minutes ago, AlphonseCapone said:

Arseholes being arseholes. Been going on since the beginning of time really hasn't it. When you're younger you're more likely to be arsehole. 

I'm sure someone will be along to blame it on avocados and frappuchinos.

They’re only doing it to wind up the Facebook posters on their local Residents Forum. 

25 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Give them season tickets for their local football ground. It’s perfectly acceptable to behave differently in a football ground than it is elsewhere.

Only if they agree to sit down. 

AlphonseCapone
27 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

They’re only doing it to wind up the Facebook posters on their local Residents Forum. 

Haha I get what you're saying. I didn't actually realise the crossover to our own 'little troubles' if you'll excuse the pun when I posted that. Weird that I'm usually on the other side of that particular debate. 

Just now, AlphonseCapone said:

Haha I get what you're saying. I didn't actually realise the crossover to our own 'little troubles' if you'll excuse the pun when I posted that. Weird that I'm usually on the other side of that particular debate. 

:D

It’s good to have an open mind and challenge our own opinions sometimes tbf. ?

12 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

So the police dealt with people who were violent to people who had no chance to defend themselves by being violent to people who had no chance to defend themselves. 

That’s going to help eradicate it. 

Snowflake type reply ?

7 hours ago, Cade said:

Jail the offenders.

Address the wider social issues in order to prevent further unrest.

As Bob says, this has been going on since the razor gangs of the 1950s.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

The only answer that can possibly make a difference in the real world.