St Andrews Day

Jambos_1874

Happy StAndrews Day Kickbackers. Does anyone actually celebrate this in any way? I think that as a nation we probably don't do enough to promote this although I think that the schools now get a day off for it these days and it's maybe becoming a bit more prominent. There's always a fair amount of seethe on here when it's StPatrick's Day and all the morons with their Guinness hats are out in force. I'm always a wee bit jealous that we seem to promote that more than our own day (not an independence supporter BTW).

Edited by Jambos_1874

I agree with you that it should be celebrated in some way, although i hope the schools are not on holiday because i dropped the kids of there this morning.

2 minutes ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

Prefer Burns Night tbh 

Burns night is more for the middle class pretendy Scots.

The type that go to the rugger .?

Hogmanay and Burns night are the traditional Scottish celebrations, are global in their appeal and define the best Scotland has to offer. Neither are middle class traditions...

or some bloke who only came to Scotland when he died.

42 minutes ago, SE16 3LN said:

Hogmanay and Burns night are the traditional Scottish celebrations, are global in their appeal and define the best Scotland has to offer. Neither are middle class traditions...

or some bloke who only came to Scotland when he died.

I suppose that's right in fairness. I've never actually done anything for Burns Night but would definitely like to.

1 hour ago, luckydug said:

Middle class people aren't Scottish now?  :rofl: 

St Andrews day suffers from being after Halloween and Bonfire Night but before Xmas. 

The weather is always dreich too.

Burns Night is better placed on the calendar. First pay day after Xmas.

A Boy Named Crow
1 hour ago, Jambos_1874 said:

I suppose that's right in fairness. I've never actually done anything for Burns Night but would definitely like to.

I never did a thing for Burns Night, till I moved to Australia. 26th of Jan is Australia Day, nice wee day off to recover from too much whisky and haggis the night before. Now I think it’s great, we get folk round from all over the world and have  a party, it actually feels like a Scottish national day, rather than a token day to commemorate a saint whose bones may or may not have once been brought to Scotland at some point.

4 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Happy StAndrews Day Kickbackers. Does anyone actually celebrate this in any way? I think that as a nation we probably don't do enough to promote this although I think that the schools now get a day off for it these days and it's maybe becoming a bit more prominent. There's always a fair amount of seethe on here when it's StPatrick's Day and all the morons with their Guinness hats are out in force. I'm always a wee bit jealous that we seem to promote that more than our own day (not an independence supporter BTW).

Aye, me.     :olly:

1 hour ago, A Boy Named Crow said:

I never did a thing for Burns Night, till I moved to Australia. 26th of Jan is Australia Day, nice wee day off to recover from too much whisky and haggis the night before. Now I think it’s great, we get folk round from all over the world and have  a party, it actually feels like a Scottish national day, rather than a token day to commemorate a saint whose bones may or may not have once been brought to Scotland at some point.

Agree, after independence, January 25th should be our national day

3 hours ago, XB52 said:

Agree, after independence, January 25th should be our national day

The 12th of July, just for a laugh.?

Happy St Andrews day everyone. The country is divided in a very hostile way. But tonight I am sitting listening to Scottish music drinking malt and getting quite pished.

Slangevar everyone. Commence arguments tomorrow.

11 hours ago, Jambos_1874 said:

Happy St. Andrews Day to you too.

Eight for dinner tonight, and it will be haggis, neeps and tatties, accompanied by copious amounts of single malt whisky and Innes and Gunn beer.  Loud Scottish music will be blaring in the background. 

Can't wait. I might make it on to JKB sometime tomorrow ... or maybe not. :cheers: 

Been working up west today at Lochcarron, haggis pie for lunch whilst admiring the view in the pishing Scottish rain, bloody magic! ? 

Having a wee Balvenie before kip. 

Happy St Andrews day fellow jambos ??????????????

On 30/11/2018 at 10:26, luckydug said:

Fek you.

I love some of Burns stuff.