A Homeless Winter

Beast Boy

It’s that time of year again! Christmas!

That pagan festival *******ised to be the birthday of the son of a non-existent mythological being.

At this time of year, the temperature plummets. People on fixed incomes face difficult decisions; food or warmth... many die. Many actually die because they cannot afford to feed themselves and keep warm. Scary stuff for such a ‘developed’ nation.

We all find ourselves plugged in to the corporate machine however, and that keeps the rightwing overlords happy. We buy their over-priced plastic shite for our children and we stress about Christmas Dinner.

What about those who cannot plug themselves in to the Christmas grid though? 

The rightwing dictate that they should make their own way, and a welfare system is wrong.

The leftwing dictate that we should give a Little of what we have to protect those who are outside the grid.

Where do you guys stand?

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• i8hibsh

• Beast Boy

• doctor jambo

• Seymour M Hersh

Top Posters In This Topic

The Real Maroonblood
36 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

That pagan festival *******ised to be the birthday of the son of a non-existent mythological being.

At this time of year, the temperature plummets. People on fixed incomes face difficult decisions; food or warmth... many die. Many actually die because they cannot afford to feed themselves and keep warm. Scary stuff for such a ‘developed’ nation.

We all find ourselves plugged in to the corporate machine however, and that keeps the rightwing overlords happy. We buy their over-priced plastic shite for our children and we stress about Christmas Dinner.

The rightwing dictate that they should make their own way, and a welfare system is wrong.

The leftwing dictate that we should give a Little of what we have to protect those who are outside the grid.

Where do you guys stand?

Good post.

49 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Where do you guys stand?

What's that got to do with jesus. 

57 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Where do you guys stand?

This should be on the Tories thread. 

5th richest country my arse!

Country with the 5th most Millionaires & Billionaires and tae feck with everyone else!

Being homeless & hungry should be against your human rights IMO and countries like the United shite house should be legally held to account!

Feck all to do with the loopers imaginary friend or Xmas!

Edited by Pans Jambo

22 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I’d like to hear the ‘friendly right-winger’ view on this. @i8hibsh...

I feel you have soured a serious topic with a right and left wing divide as it has no place here. But seeing as you menton it, both right wing and left wing people I am sure will both have the same human emotions when it comes to hardship and suffering. Here are, in my opinion the differences in how homeless are perceived and actually is a good barometer I think to see where you lie politically.

A 'leftie' will see someone on the street and always assume it is a hard luck story and the government are to blame.

People on the right will see someone on the street and question why the person is there, what did this person do to end up here and are they genuinely homeless.

As humans we all, I am sure would reach out a human hand of kindness to a genuine case of hardship but as everything in life it is not always as it seems.

7 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I feel you have soured a serious topic with a right and left wing divide as it has no place here. But seeing as you menton it, both right wing and left wing people I am sure will both have the same human emotions when it comes to hardship and suffering. Here are, in my opinion the differences in how homeless are perceived and actually is a good barometer I think to see where you lie politically.

A 'leftie' will see someone on the street and always assume it is a hard luck story and the government are to blame.

People on the right will see someone on the street and question why the person is there, what did this person do to end up here and are they genuinely homeless.

As humans we all, I am sure would reach out a human hand of kindness to a genuine case of hardship but as everything in life it is not always as it seems.

Okay. 

Well thats just utter horseshit bigman. Your prejudices have got the better of you. 

I’m not just asking what your thought process would be. I’m asking what your actions would be as well...

13 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Okay. 

Well thats just utter horseshit bigman. Your prejudices have got the better of you. 

I’m not just asking what your thought process would be. I’m asking what your actions would be as well...

If I discuss my actions I would be virtue signalling. Is your intention for people to come on a public forum and talk about all the nice things they do? That is so very 'leftie', always desperate for affirmation. Maybe post on Twitter to the 4,000 followers you have never met how saddened you are that people are on the streets this winter.

What is bullshit about my post, you think all homeless are genuine cases?

5 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

If I discuss my actions I would be virtue signalling. Is your intention for people to come on a public forum and talk about all the nice things they do? That is so very 'leftie', always desperate for affirmation. Maybe post on Twitter to the 4,000 followers you have never met how saddened you are that people are on the streets this winter.

What is bullshit about my post, you think all homeless are genuine cases?

Oh... a simple... I don’t care about those less fortunate than myself would have done big guy. ?

Just now, BarneyBattles said:

I think you mean people on the left care,  people on the right don't but being honest I don't think either give a F.

You'll get the odd person who really cares,  and does something about it, you'll get some people who bung a quid to a homeless person now and again but at the end of the day,  if,  as a society we really cared communally,  the problem would not exist. 

In reality we look after our close circle and on the whole ignore everyone else and that's not changing anytime soon. 

Ah man that is so typical. Us lefties care more, do you ****. Left just get busy telling the world how much care and the right are too busy working.

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Oh... a simple... I don’t care about those less fortunate than myself would have done big guy. ?

How do you get that from my post? 

I care about genuine homeless people who are there by circumstance and by receiving a bad hand. Not being an idiot, I do not think this is the case when I walk past the beggars on Princes Street every morning. Half of the begging scum would not even get the steam of my piss to keep them warm. Are you familiar with 'Daryl'? Poor poor Daryl.

Edited by i8hibsh

2 minutes ago, BarneyBattles said:

you should maybe read my post again. 

I was talking about the left, never meant as direct to you good chap.

If anyone wants to meet Daryl you can find the scoundrel outside the Levi store on Princes Street with his black Scottie dog and a down on his luck face. Academy Award winning stuff from him on a daily basis. Try speaking to a woman called Lesley Baldwin about him.

Hanging is too good for that piece of shit.

Edited by i8hibsh

6 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I care about genuine homeless people who are there by circumstance and by receiving a bad hand. Not being an idiot, I do not think this is the case when I walk past the beggars on Princes Street every morning. Half of the begging scum would not even get the steam of my piss to keep them warm. Are you familiar with 'Daryl'? Poor poor Daryl.

What a horrible wee closed mind you are enveloped in. ?

Just now, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

What a horrible wee closed mind you are enveloped in. ?

So I question stuff and never take things at face value yet I am the one with the closed mind

:interehjrling:

2 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

If anyone wants to meet Daryl you can find the scoundrel outside the Levi store on Princes Street with his black Scottie dog and a down on his luck face. Academy Award winning stuff from him on a daily basis. Try speaking to a woman called Lesley Baldwin about him.

:ohmy:

Just now, i8hibsh said:

So I question stuff and never take things at face value yet I am the one with the closed mind

:interehjrling:

No. You call people “begging scum”, and that is why I point out you are “closed minded”.

At this point I’m just hoping you don’t attack homeless people physically, tbh. You do enough of that in written word. ?

1 minute ago, BarneyBattles said:

Maybe I'm not explaining it very well. 

What I meant was that no-one really cares,  certainly not society as a whole. If as individuals we really cared about those less fortunate than us,  there wouldn't be a need for any political party to use it as part of their ethos,  it would be irrelevant as it would be a 'gimme'and a shared belief. 

As it stands,  a very few people do care and do something about it but most of us don't really care,  as is evidenced by our apathy and inactivity. 

People only really care about their loved ones and inner circle you are bang on. Of course the lefties will saturate social media with their faux outrage and grief about all of life's hardships but they then turn off facebook and 2 seconds later switch their xbox on or something. 

If you genuinely and I mean genuinely cared you would invite a homeless person in off the street and take em in.

The Glib's house must be bursting at the seams.

1 minute ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

No. You call people “begging scum”, and that is why I point out you are “closed minded”.

At this point I’m just hoping you don’t attack homeless people physically, tbh. You do enough of that in written word. ?

No, I called the chancers I see in the mornings "begging scum" but of course you knew I meant that.

3 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I am a lover not a fighter btw.

11 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

No, I called the chancers I see in the mornings "begging scum" but of course you knew I meant that.

I didn’t ask you about the ‘confirmed’ chancers that you swagger past every morning big-man. You threw them in as examples of why you should be a rightwing bigot towards the people I referred to in my OP.

We discussed this issue previously I8, and your opinion was that we shouldn’t offer welfare or support to those less fortunate. In your rightwing world they should be encouraged to “work”... 

I took a different path to that tonight. What a stupid lefty I am, eh?

15 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

I am a lover not a fighter btw.

Cool. I’m a middle-aged man who turns 40 next year. I’m a lover and a fighter, have been all my life.

Not sure where you are trying to take this, big felly... I’m in though.

?

Dagger Is Back
6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Where do you guys stand?

Somewhere in the middle. Some people undoubtedly  take the piss and make life decisions that place the ‘burden ‘ on others.

Others through no fault their own find themselves reliant on others.

I’ve been in a situation where I’ve needed the understanding and help of others. Thankfully other folks have stepped up to got me through those dark times to where I am now.

Where am I now? I’ll do what I can financially and time wise to help others.

Fecking well hate Xmas. We got a football a satsuma and a shilling when I was a kid.

Started hating Xmas 3 years ago when I found my new 13 year old comparing Xmas pressies with her pals on social media.

it was most definitely a case of trying to outdo each other 

Edited by Dagger Is Back

52 minutes ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Cool. I’m a middle-aged man who turns 40 next year. I’m a lover and a fighter, have been all my life.

?

Where's he taking it, and what are you in to? ?

Am I missing something?

1 hour ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

I didn’t ask you about the ‘confirmed’ chancers that you swagger past every morning big-man. You threw them in as examples of why you should be a rightwing bigot towards the people I referred to in my OP.

We discussed this issue previously I8, and your opinion was that we shouldn’t offer welfare or support to those less fortunate. In your rightwing world they should be encouraged to “work”... 

I took a different path to that tonight. What a stupid lefty I am, eh?

If someone can work and chooses not too then that is different. We ar talking about genuine homeless people here, as in homeless due to misfortune and not drugs, choice etc, not due to them being a waster in life. I want support for them and pretty confident I have never said otherwise. Not being a leftie I don't live my life with people constantly pulling wool over my eyes.

2 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

?

It is your thread.

Brighton Jambo

This thread is misguided and it’s a shame as it’s an important topic.  I know people, including in my own family, who are ‘right wing’ who give generously of their time and money to help those in need, including homeless people.  I also know ‘left wing’ people who wouldn’t piss on a homeless person if they were on fire.  

For me policitical leanings don’t determine what you do or don’t do on this topic it’s about your level of empathy, sympathy and unselfishness.  

6 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Okay. 

There's teams of beggars in glasgow, they're usually Romani gypsies, taking it in turn to harass passers by. I usually give my money to the wee Scottish guy who sits with his wee dug on Argyle Street. 

If they go to the council they should be given some sort of roof over there heads. 

Edited by ri Alban

8 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Okay. 

13 hours ago, Glib and Shameless Crier said:

Where do you guys stand?

Being homeless is a complex issue.

The housing situation in this country is a mess.

Anyway there are many different kinds of homeless.

There are disproportionately more men who sleep rough but more women with children couch surf.

Women who are victims of domestic abuse are often put in this situation.

Mental health addiction and a plethora of reasons contribute.

There's also the private rent sector picking up the chronic shortage and the stresses of short term lease this places on families.

It's a mess mate and the private sector will never address this as it suits them.

Only a national government driven house building programme can.

5 hours ago, i8hibsh said:

If someone can work and chooses not too then that is different. We ar talking about genuine homeless people here, as in homeless due to misfortune and not drugs, choice etc, not due to them being a waster in life. I want support for them and pretty confident I have never said otherwise. Not being a leftie I don't live my life with people constantly pulling wool over my eyes.

You should learn more about addiction buddy.

Governor Tarkin
7 hours ago, BarneyBattles said:

I think you mean people on the left care,  people on the right don't but being honest I don't think either give a F.

You'll get the odd person who really cares,  and does something about it, you'll get some people who bung a quid to a homeless person now and again but at the end of the day,  if,  as a society we really cared communally,  the problem would not exist. 

In reality we look after our close circle and on the whole ignore everyone else and that's not changing anytime soon. 

Spot on, Barney, but your factual post will most likely be overlooked by those itching for an agenda driven scrap.

Plus ca change...

34 minutes ago, jake said:

You should learn more about addiction buddy.

From a borerline alcoholic I think I know a bit.

Carl Weathers

I imagine most folk would not be happy to be categorised as either "right" or "left". I know I wouldn't be.

When it comes to beggars there will be a myriad of different situations at play. Some will have mental health issues, some will be drug addicts/alcoholics and others are possibly doing it because they don't have the capacity to do much more at that point. I refuse to believe folk do it as their lifestyle choice.

My personal view is that everyone in the UK should have the right to a roof over their head as an absolute minimum. 

Sorry, this habit of right wing= don't care about anyone is utter horseshit.

Left wing policies have submerged more nations into economic crisis and starvation that any other model.

Right wing policies have lifted more people out of poverty than any other model.

I think some people lack basic humanity on both ends of the spectrum.

I guess the difference between the two is that the right recognises that an open financial tap leads to infinite demand for resource- when something is "free" demand becomes untenable- look at the NHS.

Remove responsibility from someone and they wont take any.

Even socialism accepts that everyone has an equal duty to contribute to society and to work. 

8 minutes ago, Carl Weathers said:

I imagine most folk would not be happy to be categorised as either "right" or "left". I know I wouldn't be.

When it comes to beggars there will be a myriad of different situations at play. Some will have mental health issues, some will be drug addicts/alcoholics and others are possibly doing it because they don't have the capacity to do much more at that point. I refuse to believe folk do it as their lifestyle choice.

My personal view is that everyone in the UK should have the right to a roof over their head as an absolute minimum. 

they do!

However some folks are just "unhousable"

Fifth richest nation in the world and we have poverty, homelessness and hunger across our land.  Why does this exist in the 21st Century?

Left or right, both sides think that they have the answer, possibly/probably the best solution is somewhere in between, but as the right (for want of a phrase) became enchanted with neo-liberalism it has, imo, lost any social conscious that it once had.

I believe that the state has a responsibility to its people, equally the people have a responsibility to contribute to society at large.  Be that through work, paying taxes etc.

40 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Sorry, this habit of right wing= don't care about anyone is utter horseshit.

Left wing policies have submerged more nations into economic crisis and starvation that any other model.

Right wing policies have lifted more people out of poverty than any other model.

I think some people lack basic humanity on both ends of the spectrum.

I guess the difference between the two is that the right recognises that an open financial tap leads to infinite demand for resource- when something is "free" demand becomes untenable- look at the NHS.

Remove responsibility from someone and they wont take any.

Even socialism accepts that everyone has an equal duty to contribute to society and to work. 

To not just instantly see someone on the street (usually with no baggage/belongs I may add), give them money and shout "how can we do this as a society" but yet to actually question "what am I about to give money here for" means you don'e care.

Yet we are idiots.

43 minutes ago, i8hibsh said:

To not just instantly see someone on the street (usually with no baggage/belongs I may add), give them money and shout "how can we do this as a society" but yet to actually question "what am I about to give money here for" means you don'e care.

Yet we are idiots.

What are your on street vetting techniques?

I recognise quite a few beggars around the city centre. I know for a fact they get dole money and have digs at Calder and Wester Hailes, yet they take to the streets to beg.

It annoys me because there's genuine homeless people who would do anything to have their dole money and roof over their head.

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Fifth richest nation in the world and we have poverty, homelessness and hunger across our land.  Why does this exist in the 21st Century?

Left or right, both sides think that they have the answer, possibly/probably the best solution is somewhere in between, but as the right (for want of a phrase) became enchanted with neo-liberalism it has, imo, lost any social conscious that it once had.

I believe that the state has a responsibility to its people, equally the people have a responsibility to contribute to society at large.  Be that through work, paying taxes etc.

Amen, Karl, Amen

The fact the "left" have moved to NOT represent the workers, but to represent those who don't- at the expense of those who do, is why we are in the Corbyn predicament.

I am sure those on low wage doing the "right thing" - working, providing and busting their guts out- are equally peaved at those who don't contribute.

Sexton Hardcastle

Homelessness at Christmas is like the monthly mental health awareness social media posts. Everyone claims to do things to help out and sympathise but a few days/weeks later they are happy to label them junkies, jakies and whatever else all in the name of a retweet or like.

If you want to help great. Don’t need to publicise it to get some self worth out of it. The worst kind of people.

Just so happens to the sleep in the park again soon. Instagram and filters at the ready. Hopefully Littlejohn and his cronies don’t kick the genuine rough sleepers out of Princess Stree Gardens again this year.

The reason this is a left or right issue is simple, although the issue itself is admittedly complex.

When the Tories got in to government, with the help of their useful idiot; Clegg, they recognised the very profitable opportunity that the Labour omnishambles afforded them. Brown’s mismanagement of the financial sector had left the economy in tatters, and they were not going to let an opportunity to make that kind of money slip by. 

Austerity, what a wonderful little oxymoron that is. A way of lining your own pockets with the money from those who are most vulnerable in society. Fixed incomes, disabled, unemployed and those too ill to work.

The national debt and deficit are eye watering after eight years of this ‘austerity’ and the human cost of that has been death and suffering. Instead of going after the corporation tax due to them from multinational companies, they have done the right wing thing of screwing it out of the most vulnerable people in society instead. Benefits cuts and inflation attacking the poor from two directions at once. People fall out of the system at the bottom are considered collateral damage.

There is not enough money at that level of the pyramid to fix the problem, but they don’t care because they are not interested in fixing the economy. Not the economy as you or I understand it anyway. There is another economy that exists alongside the one we are plugged in to, and it is the playground of the richest 1% of the population. They are batting for both sides. Crashing the economy doesn’t negatively affect them, and when you are both a member of the government and a major shareholder or CEO of a massive multinational company, then you are afforded the unique opportunity to rig the system in a manner that benefits you most. 

If the biggest companies on the planet paid their tax, then we would have enough to make the NHS the best Public Health Service in the world, and we could Home and feed the vulnerable many times over. People who are forced to live on benefits and even the streets could be protected. We would have enough money to genuinely tackle poverty and homelessness. More money to spend on tackling the causes of poverty, like addiction or unemployment.

That is not the way the right wing works however. It’s all about looking after number one, ironically the same number as the percentile that they enjoys the benefits of at the top of the pyramid.

If you are that 1% you have the money, but you are not numerous enough to vote yourself in, so what do you do? You need a way to get the turkeys to vote for Christmas. You simply employ the age old technique of scapegoating. Blame the poorest and most vulnerable people in society; immigrants, asylum seekers, addicts, unemployed, disabled and poor. State that they are the reason the economy is in the shitter and get all the gullible people who harbour prejudices to vote for you whilst you line your pockets.

Austerity has literally killed thousands of people in the UK, and forced many more in to poverty,and all to make already rich people even richer.

Its a disgrace that we have people lying in puddles in the street in December in a developed country.

27 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

What are your on street vetting techniques?

This is the thing Dave, how do we know.  The majority imo are not homeless or destitute.  These lowlife scumbags like good old Darryl ruin it for the real bona fide cases.

Usually baggage and belongings are a sign though, if someone is begging on the street with no bags etc then where are their belongings? Also, anyone begging with a mobile phone can get right to ****.

Genuine cases? Well there are a few that I see. A black guy who walks the streets with a bouncing ball and a ukulele with no strings who writes in chalk on the pavement – do all you can for him, I have seen him with my own eyes sleep under the Fountain Park underpass – this guy is certified by me.  He is a’right.

Guy opens thread trolling for opinions.

Gets opinions he doesn't like.

Guy gets all hot and bothered.

Guy opens his house to homeless people in general.

Guy wakes up the next morning to find house wrecked and all saleable goods stolen.