Gdansk

micole

3 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Seen a offer at Ramsay travel the other day,£88pp for 2 nights flight and hotel in mid January.

Cheers for that was hoping to go Feb time but will check out Ramsay Travel as well.

Edited by micole

Was there a couple of years ago think we went in November, it was cheap and friendly , locals like a bevvy but don't  hassle tourists. Wrap up well it's on the Baltic the waterfront reminded us of the shore in Leith.

Solidarity museum worth a visit if you like post war history.

Sopot a resort on the Baltic is worth a trip if the  weather's OK, less than 30 minutes by train which run every 15 minutes.

1 hour ago, EIEIO said:

Was there a couple of years ago think we went in November, it was cheap and friendly , locals like a bevvy but don't  hassle tourists. Wrap up well it's on the Baltic the waterfront reminded us of the shore in Leith.

Solidarity museum worth a visit if you like post war history.

Sopot a resort on the Baltic is worth a trip if the  weather's OK, less than 30 minutes by train which run every 15 minutes.

Know a guy that spends his summer's in sopot and said it's better than beach holidays in Spain and Turkey. Would it not be a bit like blackpool when its winter? Ie depressing.

13 minutes ago, Herbert said:

Know a guy that spends his summer's in sopot and said it's better than beach holidays in Spain and Turkey. Would it not be a bit like blackpool when its winter? Ie depressing.

Spent a day there had lunch and then back to Gdansk it was a pleasant day , like most out of season holiday places I suppose.

The museum of the Second World War is excellent and Malbork is only half an hour away by train from Gdańsk and the Teutonic castle there is a must see imo.

Lived and worked there for a year and it’s a lovely wee city. I wouldn’t recommend more than 3 days though. 

As others have said, Sopot is also worth a visit. 

Mercure Stare Miasto is in a good location ( look out one window and you can “see” communist Russia, look out the other window and you can “see” 19th century Germany) Hotel Gdansk is also in a decent location. 

Theres a scottish bar bar near the main strip (if it’s still there) and they will be delighted if some genuine Scots had a drink. 

Most likely be very cold in february  but not as bad as January (often -20 with wind chill factor)

If you get a chance, take one of the boat trips. Good for a little bit of history.

I wouldn’t bother with any of the galleria’s as they are the same price as back home.

2 hours ago, jambo89 said:

Lived and worked there for a year and it’s a lovely wee city. I wouldn’t recommend more than 3 days though. 

As others have said, Sopot is also worth a visit. 

Mercure Stare Miasto is in a good location ( look out one window and you can “see” communist Russia, look out the other window and you can “see” 19th century Germany) Hotel Gdansk is also in a decent location. 

Theres a scottish bar bar near the main strip (if it’s still there) and they will be delighted if some genuine Scots had a drink. 

Most likely be very cold in february  but not as bad as January (often -20 with wind chill factor)

If you get a chance, take one of the boat trips. Good for a little bit of history.

I wouldn’t bother with any of the galleria’s as they are the same price as back home.

Cheers ,some good info there .

It's literally one of my favourite cities in Europe, especially in the Summer.  Went in January once, and it was -11 one day, which was a bit colder than I had expected, so wrap up warm :lol: 

****ing love going there.  Great places to eat, good pubs, and it's a nice city to explore.  Head out to Westerplatte on the bus (I think it's the 106) - it takes a while, but it's great if you're interested in World War II history.  I've been meaning to go back to check out the new museum, but not had a chance recently.

Highly, highly recommend it.

Edited by tian447

I'm really fancying a wee week here maybe in August , going to Wroclaw in January , any KB's been ? , Was in Krakow last year in winter , really enjoyed it , Poland has so many decent places all worth a visit.