Ancestry DNA tests

Shanks said no

Shanks said no

Has anyone had one of these and are they any good? My son has suggested buying one for my Christmas but I am sceptical that he will be wasting his money.

I'm the family historian having researched most branches of my family and my wife's back to before 1800. It all fairly mundane with it all around the Scottish Borders and a few links into England and Ireland. There is however one branch that were one of the 3 main families who made up the Yetholm Gypsies. No one seems to be sure where they came from with various theories such as Egypt and India. So I am curious what the results might show up if they are accurate.

Anyone got any recommendations?

My dad found of loads cousins he had previously no idea existed.

Mainly a result of his uncle being a top shagger while docked in various ports around the globe. 

Edited by Dirty Deeds

18 minutes ago, Dirty Deeds said:

My dad found of loads cousins he had previously no idea existed.

Mainly a result of his uncle being a top shagger while docked in various ports around the globe. 

Rodney?

48 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Has anyone had one of these and are they any good? My son has suggested buying one for my Christmas but I am sceptical that he will be wasting his money.

I'm the family historian having researched most branches of my family and my wife's back to before 1800. It all fairly mundane with it all around the Scottish Borders and a few links into England and Ireland. There is however one branch that were one of the 3 main families who made up the Yetholm Gypsies. No one seems to be sure where they came from with various theories such as Egypt and India. So I am curious what the results might show up if they are accurate.

I've thought about doing one of these ancestry tests myself as I'm interested in that sort of thing (particularly the further back it goes), but haven't taken the plunge yet so can't recommend any organisation above another.

As far as Gypsy origins go, the Roma people are now widely accepted to have migrated from what is now northern India / Pakistan any centuries ago: the supposed Egyptian connection was a much later misunderstanding of their lineage. Many Roma are still very similar in skin-colour and facial features to people from the north of the Indian sub-continent to this day. However, the Scottish and Irish "tinkers" or travelling folk are not thought to have this ancestry, generally speaking. I'm not sure where the Yetholm "Gypsies" fit into this, but they certainly have a long presence in Scottish and Borders history.

Shanks said no
15 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

I've thought about doing one of these ancestry tests myself as I'm interested in that sort of thing (particularly the further back it goes), but haven't taken the plunge yet so can't recommend any organisation above another.

As far as Gypsy origins go, the Roma people are now widely accepted to have migrated from what is now northern India / Pakistan any centuries ago: the supposed Egyptian connection was a much later misunderstanding of their lineage. Many Roma are still very similar in skin-colour and facial features to people from the north of the Indian sub-continent to this day. However, the Scottish and Irish "tinkers" or travelling folk are not thought to have this ancestry, generally speaking. I'm not sure where the Yetholm "Gypsies" fit into this, but they certainly have a long presence in Scottish and Borders history.

The first written records in Scotland were around 1492 and by 1539 the Yetholm names of Faa and Baillie were beginning to appear, so as you say they were amongst the earliest. They were rather a colourful bunch but at least it means you can find written records of your ancestors, even if its just court records, church rebukes or Sir Walter Scott writing about disgraceful scenes as the families fought... My late mother always told her dad to be quiet when he started telling tales!

My highlander mother had a visit in the 70's from her sister who had married an American sailor and went to the States during WW1. My mother asked why after all these years they decided to come back to Edinburgh, the husband in his of course strong American accent told my mother "well Mary I want to research Jessies family  ancestry". My mother responded you better be careful how much you research, you may not like what you find. I am with her on my ancestry searches.

Francis Albert

Did it through Ancestry UK solely because of my wife's interest in this stuff. At least at that time a few years ago scots welsh and english were lumped together as british although irish was separately identified, which i thought devalued the exercise. Also suspect from my results that there is some cross over in identification of irish and scottish/british. 

Lots of remote connections with other subscribers are identified but you'd have yo be very interested to follow them up.

1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

They're not bad in a general way, but are no good if you are looking to build a family tree.  They paint a picture in broad brush strokes, so only buy a kit if you will be happy with general information.  I've had two done.

The first was several years ago by National Geographic.  It told me that my ancestors originated in East Africa about 70,000 years ago, then migrated over the years through today's Iran, then central Asia, then Eastern Europe, and finally settled in Southern Europe prior to the last Ice Age.  Everyone  who calls themselves "European" today will have the same story.  We are all descended from a relatively small group of people.

The second one I did a couple of years ago narrows things down to more recent history, but still talks in only general terms.  For example, 35-55% British, 25-35% Irish, 15-25% Scandinavian.  I found this to be more interesting only because I had been raised believing that I had one Italian grandparent, but the test showed no Italian DNA.  There's an unknown skeleton in my closet!!  :biggrin:

I thought about doing it via my Clan website as they advertise it and have a geneology expert compiling it all.

But it would basically tell me whether I was Irish or Viking so haven't done it yet, prefer not to know to be honest, would prefer to be a Pict ??

1 hour ago, Rally200 said:

I thought about doing it via my Clan website as they advertise it and have a geneology expert compiling it all.

But it would basically tell me whether I was Irish or Viking so haven't done it yet, prefer not to know to be honest, would prefer to be a Pict ??

Go on the Picts! Me too.

scott herbertson
3 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

Did it through Ancestry UK solely because of my wife's interest in this stuff. At least at that time a few years ago scots welsh and english were lumped together as british although irish was separately identified, which i thought devalued the exercise. Also suspect from my results that there is some cross over in identification of irish and scottish/british. 

Lots of remote connections with other subscribers are identified but you'd have yo be very interested to follow them up.

You weren't satisfied?

?

Francis Albert
11 hours ago, scott herbertson said:

You weren't satisfied?

?

It was my wife's interest not mine and she was highly satisfied! Her family was clearly of Irish background with lots of relatives in County Cork,  whereas as far as anyone knew my background was pretty solidly Scottish with just a little bit of English. I had frequently teased her about coming from the bogs of Ireland and such like (don't worry she as usual gave as good as she got about my Scottishness.) But she laughed long and hard when my results showed 66% Irish, more Irish the hers. I was also 7% South Asian, which I guess might come from  my father's side from relatives from Taysiide who worked in the jute industry in India.

So in answer to the OP if you are interested in this sort of titbit or are seriously interested in your origins then go ahead.

Edited by Francis Albert

1 hour ago, i8hibsh said:

A bit gypsy but all Scottish past 200 years. Not went further.

Gypsy

:sob:

That will explain your tolerance to the cultural differences of minorities. ?

Joking aside, I find it a bit meh as, alluded to earlier, it’s a bit broad brush. None of the ‘relatives’ identified meant anything to me. My wife got more out of hers though as she connected with a couple of ‘lost’ relatives.  ??‍♂️

Can trace my ancestry on my maternal grandmothers side back as far as 1515, some absolute shaggers in the list with it being common for each generation to be one of 6 or more siblings!

one branch splits off to County Antrim but the rest are mostly the lothians with one or two dotted around Stirling and Lanarkshire. 

scott herbertson
2 hours ago, Francis Albert said:

It was my wife's interest not mine and she was highly satisfied! Her family was clearly of Irish background with lots of relatives in County Cork,  whereas as far as anyone knew my background was pretty solidly Scottish with just a little bit of English. I had frequently teased her about coming from the bogs of Ireland and such like (don't worry she as usual gave as good as she got about my Scottishness.) But she laughed long and hard when my results showed 66% Irish, more Irish the hers. I was also 7% South Asian, which I guess might come from  my father's side from relatives from Taysiide who worked in the jute industry in India.

So in answer to the OP if you are interested in this sort of titbit or are seriously interested in your origins then go ahead.

Just pulling your chain - I couldn't resist, so sorry.

I 'm very interested in its use as historical evidence, particular in the way it reinforces the accounts in sagas and in archaeological evidence> Not particularly interested in my own chain as on my father's side we seem to be serial re-marriers so it's not a particularly great lineage!

I’ve have had my DNA done by the Ancestry DNA kit.

And from my own personal point of view I can recommend it, however I only used it to try and answer one specific question.

Family oral tradition was that our name was an anglicized version of a French name which had come over to Scotland sometime in the 1500/1600’s and were perhaps Huguenots. There is some other circumstancial evidence to support that the name is French/Belgian in origin.

The results came back showing that my DNA contained 44% Scots/Irish, 32% Western European DNA which predominately covers Northern France, Belgium & Western Germany, 18% Briton and only 4% Scandinavian, 1% Iberian and trace elements of Finnish/Russian.

As there hasn’t been anything but Scottish ancestors in the family for the last 300-400 years on any branches, apart from some Irish families in the 1840’s+, then where did such a high percentage of Western European DNA come from, the only explaination was that the oral tradition was right, it is the only way such a high percentage would be present meaning that this DNA is from a dominant branch of my family, as it would be.

As has been mentioned the DNA tests are no good for building a family tree as they'll only tell you the areas where the DNA is from and not about individual people, to find them you'd need to do the standard research and leg work on sites such as the IGI and then Scotlands People.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I’ve have had my DNA done by the Ancestry DNA kit.

And from my own personal point of view I can recommend it, however I only used it to try and answer one specific question.

Family oral tradition was that our name was an anglicized version of a French name which had come over to Scotland sometime in the 1500/1600’s and were perhaps Huguenots. There is some other circumstancial evidence to support that the name is French/Belgian in origin.

The results came back showing that my DNA contained 44% Scots/Irish, 32% Western European DNA which predominately covers Northern France, Belgium & Western Germany, 18% Briton and only 4% Scandinavian, 1% Iberian and trace elements of Finnish/Russian.

As there hasn’t been anything but Scottish ancestors in the family for the last 300-400 years on any branches, apart from some Irish families in the 1840’s+, then where did such a high percentage of Western European DNA come from, the only explaination was that the oral tradition was right, it is the only way such a high percentage would be present meaning that this DNA is from a dominant branch of my family, as it would be.

As has been mentioned the DNA tests are no good for building a family tree as they'll only tell you the areas where the DNA is from and not about individual people, to find them you'd need to do the standard research and leg work on sites such as the IGI and then Scotlands People.

Just for info, the link that I posted towards the top of this thread mentioned that, at least for one testing company, Ancestry, "Western Europe" includes London and the South of England.

Shanks said no

He has ordered one from Ancestry DNA so will report back in a few weeks when the results are in.

Here's what it says the regional breakdown is

https://www.ancestrydna.co.uk/kits?gclsrc=aw.ds&slid=&pgrid=60708918394&ptaid=kwd-116770941&s_kwcid=ancestry+dna+test&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9orTgM_t3gIVWuh3Ch0lAAsAEAAYASAAEgJrdfD_BwE&o_xid=81657&o_lid=81657&o_sch=Paid+Search+Brand

Edited by The Frenchman Returns

8 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Just for info, the link that I posted towards the top of this thread mentioned that, at least for one testing company, Ancestry, "Western Europe" includes London and the South of England.

Yes, and that may have come into play if I'd had any English ancestry, which I have found none, not one.

36 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

He has ordered one from Ancestry DNA so will report back in a few weeks when the results are in.

When you get the results back you'll access them via the ancestry website, there will be matches with other people who share some of the same DNA, these can be quite distant relatives, like 6 to 8th cousins, but there may be much closer than that, maybe 3rd cousins, maybe even closer.

It is entirely up to you whether you want to contact any of them, it's entirely your choice as it is theirs as well.

The test results become more accurate the more people get them done and more data is gathered, meaning that your results can become more specific to a particular area as and when ancestry get more test info.

There used to be a hot spot map, not been on for a while so not sure if it's still there, but this showed locations where there was concentrations of your DNA, mine was Midlothian, East Lothian & Fife but also with hot spots in Wick, Dublin & Tyrone, all locations where I knew my lot had come from, if I recall correctly it was only Scotland & Ireland which was covered by the hot spot map, might have a wee gander later to see what's changed if anything.

37 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The Iberian link always intrigues me.

Sure I read somewhere a while back that the Celts originate from Northern Spain.

Not the Celts as such, but it is widely thought that the Celtic populations of the British Isles predominantly migrated there from northern Spain and Portugal.

Anatolia and the Black Sea area is the probable location where the Celts (a multi-ethnic and very loose confederation of peoples at the best of times - more a cultural grouping than anything else) originated and spread westwards from.

Edited by Auld Reekin'

31 minutes ago, Auld Reekin' said:

Not the Celts as such, but it is widely thought that the Celtic populations of the British Isles predominantly migrated there from northern Spain and Portugal.

Anatolia and the Black Sea area is the probable location where the Celts (a multi-ethnic and very loose confederation of peoples at the best of times - more a cultural grouping than anything else) originated and spread westwards from.

Isn't that also the area where they think blue eyes originated from as well?

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Sorry - don't know.

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

One research study in 2008 claims that could be the case.

Whatever the case may be, we blue-eyed folk are all mutants. :)

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/all-blue-eyed-people-have-single-ancestor-common-same-genetic-mutation-gene-european-descent-a7961251.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/revealed-first-ol-blue-eyes-is-7000-years-old-and-lived-in-a-cave-9086310.html

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/how-one-ancestor-helped-turn-our-brown-eyes-blue-776170.html

6 hours ago, redjambo said:

Mutants you say!

Naw, the real mutants have blue eyes and Rhesus Negative blood, freaks of nature we are.  ? ??

Can be a bit of an interesting diversion, but as others have mentioned, little to be gained in putting too much weight on the results.

A good post here on how they may get it wrong:

https://gizmodo.com/how-dna-testing-botched-my-familys-heritage-and-probab-1820932637

Also a couple of good articles from a geneticist, the second on what's in it for the testing companies:

https://www.theguardian.com/science/commentisfree/2015/may/24/business-genetic-ancestry-charlemagne-adam-rutherford

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/10/dna-ancestry-tests-cheap-data-price-companies-23andme

Ricardo Shillyshally

Basicalky a waste of time and money. They don't really tell you who your ancestors are, they jsy compare you to folk already in their database.

Source: a coup!e of scientists on radio 4 the other night.

38 minutes ago, Ricardo Shillyshally said:

Basicalky a waste of time and money. They don't really tell you who your ancestors are, they jsy compare you to folk already in their database.

Source: a coup!e of scientists on radio 4 the other night.

How else can they find distant cousins of someone unless they compare their DNA with others in their database, it's how it's done, it's the only way how they find who is related to whom.

As for finding out who your ancestors were, none of them claim to be able to do that, they can't find individuals from any particular family tree from your DNA, what they do find is other people who share the same DNA segments with you and therefore you both shared a common ancestor at some point in time, but they can't tell you who that ancestor was or indeed how long ago you both shared that ancestor, but none of the DNA testing company's claim to be able to do that.

Some people, take ancestry for example, have put their family tree online, this allows other people to see who that shared common ancestor was, and to contact them, if so desired.  I haven't got a tree online, but I have contacted some folks, mainly to correct wrong info or to fill in gaps they may have, but it also sometimes works both ways, as someone I contacted had a photograph of our shared ancestor taking in the 1870's, a photograph I never knew existed.

So far from being a waste of time and money, it can open up a whole new world of research and information and may provide some new clues and places to search, and as any serious researcher will testify any new source which may help to break down the odd brick wall is absolutely worth exploring, besides the cost of a DNA kit is chicken feed in relation to how much they have probably spent over the years compiling their family tree, so in my opinion a DNA testing kit is well worth the time, effort & money, as it's just another tool in the whole research process.

3 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Mutants you say!

Naw, the real mutants have blue eyes and Rhesus Negative blood, freaks of nature we are.  ? ??

Or aliens, whose massive spaceship crash-landed in the Black Sea and who are now just biding the millennia waiting for the rescue ship. ;)

During a test for diabetic retinopathy the optician told me I wasn't a true Celt! I asked what he meant and he said you are from further south. I said well my maternal granny was from Newcastle and he laughed and said no much further south than that. I never did get to the bottom of it so I suppose a DNA test would reveal what e meant.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Or aliens, whose massive spaceship crash-landed in the Black Sea and who are now just biding the millennia waiting for the rescue ship. ;)

And of course have had interactions with the local woman. :mw_rolleyes:  :alien:

Just now, Jambo-Jimbo said:

And of course have had interactions with the local woman. :mw_rolleyes:  :alien:

Also interactions with the local men. Perhaps the aliens were even all women? ;)

And only for scientific purposes, naturally.

Goodness knows to what level of purity the rescue ship is going to select those individuals to rescue.

7 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Also interactions with the local men. Perhaps the aliens were even all women? ;)

And only for scientific purposes, naturally.

Goodness knows to what level of purity the rescue ship is going to select those individuals to rescue.

There are one or two on here (not this thread) who I think have already been abducted by aliens and been scientifically probed. :whistling:

Edited by Jambo-Jimbo

20 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

When you get the results back you'll access them via the ancestry website, there will be matches with other people who share some of the same DNA, these can be quite distant relatives, like 6 to 8th cousins, but there may be much closer than that, maybe 3rd cousins, maybe even closer.

It is entirely up to you whether you want to contact any of them, it's entirely your choice as it is theirs as well.

The test results become more accurate the more people get them done and more data is gathered, meaning that your results can become more specific to a particular area as and when ancestry get more test info.

There used to be a hot spot map, not been on for a while so not sure if it's still there, but this showed locations where there was concentrations of your DNA, mine was Midlothian, East Lothian & Fife but also with hot spots in Wick, Dublin & Tyrone, all locations where I knew my lot had come from, if I recall correctly it was only Scotland & Ireland which was covered by the hot spot map, might have a wee gander later to see what's changed if anything.

On the bold bit - any idea if their databases are just folk how have used the same company for sequencing or they pull from much larger datasets ?

1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

On the bold bit - any idea if their databases are just folk how have used the same company for sequencing or they pull from much larger datasets ?

I think it is just people who have had the test done through Ancestry, however in saying that Ancestry has I believe the largest genealogical DNA database that there is available at the moment.

Find My Past which is a UK based genealogical site has just started offering their own DNA testing and claim their testing is the best for British & Irish roots.

Baldwigforjack
1 hour ago, DarthVodka said:

Matches are only from people tested with the same company. However you can then upload your dna result to gedmatch.com and you'll get matches from all the major companies.

3 minutes ago, Baldwigforjack said:

Matches are only from people tested with the same company. However you can then upload your dna result to gedmatch.com and you'll get matches from all the major companies.

That's the site which the Police used to catch the Golden State killer earlier this year and is now allegedly the de facto site which US law enforcement agencies go to looking for DNA matches.

Baldwigforjack
3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's the site which the Police used to catch the Golden State killer earlier this year and is now allegedly the de facto site which US law enforcement agencies go to looking for DNA matches.

And?

Created an account and have uploaded my raw DNA data to Gedmatch, can take up to a couple of days to fully analyse it, but there are some preliminary results available quite quickly, and already more information than Ancestry, such as predicted eye colour and whilst I do have blue eyes they are more a steel/grey blue and the photo gedmatch used for what my DNA said should be my eye colour was pretty damn close.

Remember these are only preliminary results, and there are lots of different sections to go through, most of them I'll have to do some reading up to understand what the figures mean, however one section showed strong Western European DNA (which I already knew) but it gives you lists of countries and by my reading the highest percentages were from France, I'm not getting excited yet, I'll wait until all the data has been analyzed, but initial impressions are that the site may be very useful.

Shanks said no
2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Created an account and have uploaded my raw DNA data to Gedmatch, can take up to a couple of days to fully analyse it, but there are some preliminary results available quite quickly, and already more information than Ancestry, such as predicted eye colour and whilst I do have blue eyes they are more a steel/grey blue and the photo gedmatch used for what my DNA said should be my eye colour was pretty damn close.

Remember these are only preliminary results, and there are lots of different sections to go through, most of them I'll have to do some reading up to understand what the figures mean, however one section showed strong Western European DNA (which I already knew) but it gives you lists of countries and by my reading the highest percentages were from France, I'm not getting excited yet, I'll wait until all the data has been analyzed, but initial impressions are that the site may be very useful.

How much does it cost to use Gedmatch?

5 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

How much does it cost to use Gedmatch?

Free, although there are extra levels available at a charge but it looked cheap enough, not really had time to explore it thoroughly.

As far as I can see, you'd still need to get your DNA done by another site and then transfer your raw DNA data file over to GEDmatch.

I'll keep yous informed if it's any good or not.

Governor Tarkin

Seeing as i8's posts concerning his genetic inheritanceare still here I can only assume that it wasn't 'Gypsy' that got my post deleted.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Did you get your raw DNA data from Ancestry in the first place?

8 hours ago, redjambo said:

Did you get your raw DNA data from Ancestry in the first place?

Yes, I downloaded it from them a while back, thought it may come in handy one day.