Big Hearts Foodbank Collection 2/12/18 - final total ( updated )

Dagger Is Back

Dagger Is Back

On 2 December, the day of the home game against Rangers, Big Hearts will host their third Foodbank Collection in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/ Last year Hearts fans kindly contributed 800kg of supplies and donated £2000, which allowed COSS to support 167 families for a month.

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area, for over 16 years. In November 2012, they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis.

Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 1030am and noon at Foundation Plaza, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance.

The following suggested items would be gratefully received;

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned beans/vegetables

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc, so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until 5 December.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link  https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/clients/donations/

The proceeds will be collected, and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will draw up a shopping list of much needed items which will allow them to continue to support families into the New Year.  The JKB Board have generously agreed to cover all Paypal fees which means 100% of funds donated will go to COSS for the benefit of local families. 

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any contribution you can make will be much appreciated.

I’d like to thank the JKB Board for their valued advice and support.

Social media_matchday collection.jpg

Love this! Just made an online donation. Worked in foodbanks all my life and can totally endorse the important work they do reaching folk who you'd never expect needing to use a foodbank. 

Furthermore, it feeds into the charitable tradition of our club: first living wage football employer in Scotland, children's charity as club sponsor and fan-owned and fan-resourced club!

Well done to all behind organising this.

16 minutes ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Good effort. But have you ran this past Brad and his cronies? He’ll be goi g to the papers with his false claims again.

Who?

3 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

Good effort. But have you ran this past Brad and his cronies? He’ll be goi g to the papers with his false claims again.

I would have thought so.  ?

Dagger Is Back
11 hours ago, Highlander said:

Love this! Just made an online donation. Worked in foodbanks all my life and can totally endorse the important work they do reaching folk who you'd never expect needing to use a foodbank. 

Furthermore, it feeds into the charitable tradition of our club: first living wage football employer in Scotland, children's charity as club sponsor and fan-owned and fan-resourced club!

Well done to all behind organising this.

Thank you for your donation and kind words. Thankfully for most of us, we don’t have to choose between heat and food. Good on you for the work you do in Foodbanks. Folks like you are a vital link.

10 hours ago, Sexton Hardcastle said:

We should all be very grateful for the professional way that BH conduct themselves and the work that they do

On 20/11/2018 at 22:28, Dagger Is Back said:

On 2 December, the day of the home game against Rangers, Big Hearts will host their third Foodbank Collection in support of the Community One Stop Shop. http://www.coss-broomhouse.org.uk/ Last year Hearts fans kindly contributed 800kg of supplies and donated £2000, which allowed COSS to support 167 families for a month.

The Community One Stop Shop has been assisting the residents of Broomhouse and its surrounding area, for over 16 years. In November 2012, they launched the Broomhouse Foodbank which offers free packs of food to families and individuals in crisis.

Supported by donations of non-perishable food, they are able to make a real difference to families living in poverty in the area.

The collection will be held between 1030am and noon at Foundation Plaza, where donations can be handed in to the team of volunteers in attendance.

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Many people find it difficult to support events like this in terms of finding the time to get donations along to a collection point etc, so with the agreement of the JKB Board, we’ve set up a donations function to allow people to contribute financially to this worthwhile cause. This will run from now until 5 December.

If you’d like to donate, please follow this link  https://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/clients/donations/

The proceeds will be collected, and once we have a final amount, the Community One Stop Shop will draw up a shopping list of much needed items which will allow them to continue to support families into the New Year.  The JKB Board have generously agreed to cover all Paypal fees which means 100% of funds donated will go to COSS for the benefit of local families. 

JKB has a long and proud history of supporting many charitable causes and any contribution you can make will be much appreciated.

Donations still welcome if you want/can and are unable to bring something along on the day. 

Thanks

I'm sure it was them that helped me get my first job after I left school. I suppose the decent thing to do is donate something so they can help someone else.

maroonlegions

Great effort, In this day and age of greed , there are still those who have a heart and have the courage to give a feck about those in real poverty. Well done.

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Moving towards £400. 

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Now standing at £565. The generosity of our members never fails to amaze me. 

Only a few days since the launch of the donate button and already over £600 raised! 

And still over a week until the collection itself. 

What a brilliant start, thank you! 

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Edging towards £700. 

King Of The Cat Cafe

I'm not being funny about this but: don't forget dog food or cat food.

It is not just humans that belong to families that need a little bit of help.

* Posting this in the full realisation that not everyone will see the sense of it.

- Tinned meat/fish

- UHT or powdered milk

- Soup/Rice/Couscous

- Tinned meals

- Cereals/Biscuits

Just to remind you about the collection at this Sunday’s match. 

just broken the £1000 barrier.  

Note that these are contributions from both JKB members and Guests, who have just used our donation facility. 

Dagger Is Back
37 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

just broken the £1000 barrier.  

Note that these are contributions from both JKB members and Guests, who have just used our donation facility. 

Brilliant news. If folks could share the collection info and the donation info with their families and friends, on social  media etc. we’d be very grateful.

Dagger Is Back

Thank you to everyone who has donated and shared. £1200 raised in just over a week with a week to go.

Just bloody marvellous. Here’s hoping for a big turnout at the Plaza on Sunday too

The Treasurer

The sad thing is, this great initiative that shows what our club and fans is really about will get less (if any) media coverage than some attention seeking arsehole and his strange wee followers

2 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

The sad thing is, this great initiative that shows what our club and fans is really about will get less (if any) media coverage than some attention seeking arsehole and his strange wee followers

Indeed. A front page spread (twice) in the Evening News would be just lovely!

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, The Treasurer said:

You're absolutely spot on. I've been in touch with the EEN but not expecting a reply

On 25/11/2018 at 17:34, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

* Posting this in the full realisation that not everyone will see the sense of it.

Absolutely spot on chief ?

Dagger Is Back

Unbelievable response.

Online donations will end on 5 December but I hope that there is a good response on Sunday at the Plaza

will-i-am-a-jambo
On 25/11/2018 at 17:34, King Of The Cat Cafe said:

Thats a very nice gesture. However, l've never understood why people who struggle to pay for themselves own pets. I don't own any pets but do they not cost a lot of money to look after (lm thinking vets bills etc)? I can understand it if it's a working dog for the blind or to help for a disability or if they have mental health issues etc but not if they have one for the sake of it. Do they have them for company or something? I'm hoping to donate to the charity as it's a very worthy cause though.

Dagger Is Back
37 minutes ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

Thats a very nice gesture. However, l've never understood why people who struggle to pay for themselves own pets. I don't own any pets but do they not cost a lot of money to look after (lm thinking vets bills etc)? I can understand it if it's a working dog for the blind or to help for a disability or if they have mental health issues etc but not if they have one for the sake of it. Do they have them for company or something? I'm hoping to donate to the charity as it's a very worthy cause though.

One of the stories from a Foodbank was about a family where the Dad was a self employed tradesman. 

He had an accident at work and couldn’t work for 6/7 months I think it was.

Life up until then had been fine. They could pay their bills and feed their family without being able to save.

That one incident changed their lives dramatically. No accident insurance and no savings, but still mouths to feed, and the bills keep on coming don’t they?

I don’t know if they had pets but entirely possible.

I think that’s one of the reasons that Foodbanks press such a huge button for me. 

For an increasing number of folks, the line between ‘managing’ and not, is becoming ever thinner.

That family were so proud that they didn’t want to come for help. The kids school had concerns and basically bundled the Mum in a car and drove them to the Foodbank.

Heartbreaking stuff

Any help you can give COSS will be hugely appreciated and make a real difference to people in need

Edited by Dagger Is Back

will-i-am-a-jambo
13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

One of the stories from a Foodbank was about a family where the Dad was a self employed tradesman. 

He had an accident at work and couldn’t work for 6/7 months I think it was.

Life up until then had been fine. They could pay their bills and feed their family without being able to save.

That one incident changed their lives dramatically. No accident insurance and no savings, but still mouths to feed,

and the bills keep on coming don’t they?

I don’t know if they had pets but entirely possible.

I think that’s one of the reasons that Foodbanks press such a huge button for me. 

For an increasing number of folks, the line between ‘managing’ and not, is becoming ever thinner.

That family were so proud that they didn’t want to come for help. The kids school had concerns and basically bundled the Mum in a car and drove them to the Foodbank.

Heartbreaking stuff

Any help you can give COSS will be hugely appreciated and make a real difference to people in need

Yes that is heartbreaking stuff. I guess every situation is unique and everyone has their own set of circumstances and story to tell. I will give a donation tomorrow when lm less tired and can think straight. Keep up the good work. You guys are doing an amazing job which lm sure is greatly appreciated.

will-i-am-a-jambo

I might not be able to make it to the food bank collection tomorrow as l have my daughter tomorrow and won't be going to the game. Is there any other drop-off points or do l just drop it off at the shop? I've given a small monetary donation meantime until l get some foodstuff together. Thanks in advance.

Well done to the organisers and donators. I will be heading to shops prior to the match, I am sure that the event will be well supported.

22 hours ago, will-i-am-a-jambo said:

People may have had their pets before things went wrong for them. If you are down on your luck it could be the company of your faithful animal friend that stops you chucking the towel in completely. 

I'll be putting a few items of pet food in my donation.

will-i-am-a-jambo
7 minutes ago, luckydug said:

People may have had their pets before things went wrong for them. If you are down on your luck it could be the company of your faithful animal friend that stops you chucking the towel in completely. 

I'll be putting a few items of pet food in my donation.

Thanks appreciated the explanation. I kind of picked that up too from what Dagger was saying. As l say everyone has their story to tell. I will put some pet food in my donation too. Cheers!