Jambo 4 Ever

Looking to get a new tv as current one is broken...

any recommendations? Any good deals out there?

looking for something between 30 & 40 inches probably 

not sure what the smart TVs are all about but would consider one of those 

thanks 

rudi must stay

Panasonic I would say. Solid TVs that last, don't break the bank with them either like you do with Sonys

Ps you may have posted on the wrong thread

Can't really go wrong with any of the above tbh. I'd put Samsung at the top of the list but my living room TV is a Sony and it's brilliant. 

...a bit disco

Picked up a 4k Hitachi Smart TV in the last Black Friday for just over £200.

Decent as well.

Just now, ...a bit disco said:

Picked up a 4k Hitachi Smart TV in the last Black Friday for just over £200.

Decent as well.

Where from?

...a bit disco
1 minute ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

Where from?

Picked it up from Argos.

It was available from a few sellers though.

Samuel Camazzola
4 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

thanks 

With regards to smart tvs, do you use sites like, YouTube, i Player, Amazon Prime, Netflix on your devices? If so, you can access these via the apps on the TV. It basically receives a WiFi connection and can do various things your phone, tablet, computer allows you to do. 

Budgie's Boyfriend

Get one with a 5 year guarantee , My Samsung 60'' 4K is on it's second screen , thank god it was still(just) under warranty 

The Future's Maroon
17 hours ago, Jamboelite said:

Black Friday week should see good deals check the usual sites. LG are always good.

I got a 4K LG this time last year, excellent purchase.

Probably a good time to be shopping for a to with the Black Friday stuff going on.

...a bit disco
4 minutes ago, Harry Potter said:

Smart.

That it is Harry. Smarter than myself at that!

Budgie's Boyfriend
8 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

OLED or QLED folks? 

Holding off until the work getting done at my house is finished, then I will be taking the plunge. 

Richer Sounds doing a 55" Samsung QLED for £1299. Probably get a similar deal in January. 

OLED all day

2 hours ago, Budgie's Boyfriend said:

OLED all day

Latest QLED has best of both worlds. Very good darks and great brightness. No burn in risk either. 

2 hours ago, jonnothejambo said:

OLED or QLED folks? 

Holding off until the work getting done at my house is finished, then I will be taking the plunge. 

Richer Sounds doing a 55" Samsung QLED for £1299. Probably get a similar deal in January. 

I'm really not up on the OLED/QLED thing but is it the same TV as here for £999?

5 minutes ago, jonnothejambo said:

Different one Justin. The 7FN is the one Richer Sounds emailed me about.

Ah okay. I always wonder about just how much the extra features you get with the more expensive models actually make a difference.

21 hours ago, Jambo_in_Hamilton said:

thanks 

What colour are you after ?

Panasonic or LG for me. Not a big LG fan but their tellies get rave reviews. I like Sony and rate their tellies but I'm not so sure about the additional cost. Nothing wrong with Samdungs I don't think but I just dislike the brand. They're as bad as Apple for making things up, whilst decent their "QLED" screens are just really something of a fantasy. As in, only QLED in their own made up way. 

Another shout for Panasonic , I have a top end 55inch Panasonic.

It is worth remembering that loads of lower end/smaller tv's from Big Brand names (Panasonic included) are often made by the same company .

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46703

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/

I think my Panny tv model has a LG made/sourced screen, (or at least came from the same factory).

Edited by EH16

22 hours ago, EH16 said:

Another shout for Panasonic , I have a top end 55inch Panasonic.

It is worth remembering that loads of lower end/smaller tv's from Big Brand names (Panasonic included) are often made by the same company .

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=46703

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/tv-brands-arent-always-what-they-seem/

I think my Panny tv model has a LG made/sourced screen, (or at least came from the same factory).

Will check this out - thanks 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
On 18/11/2018 at 15:27, EH16 said:

Also, if you can ,then buy it from Richer Sounds or John Lews as you will get a free 5year guarantee.

6 years at richer. 

I got this one from JL about a month ago.

So far so good.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55nu8000-hdr-1000-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-dynamic-crystal-colour-360-design-ultra-hd-certified-black/p3501176

The girlfriend just bought this one yesterday. I've no idea what Toshiba's are like but i done a bit of research and it gets decent reviews from customers on other sites. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-55u6863db-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-hd-freeview-play-black/p3585735

Edited by hughesie27

11 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

So far so good.

https://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue55nu8000-hdr-1000-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-tvplus-freesat-hd-dynamic-crystal-colour-360-design-ultra-hd-certified-black/p3501176

The girlfriend just bought this one yesterday. I've no idea what Toshiba's are like but i done a bit of research and it gets decent reviews from customers on other sites. 

https://www.johnlewis.com/toshiba-55u6863db-led-hdr-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-55-inch-with-freeview-hd-freeview-play-black/p3585735

Thank you

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
14 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

So far so good.

My mum's Toshiba TV was utter shite. She got it in 2010, same time I got my LG. Her's needed replaced 2 years ago, after twice being repaired. My LG is working perfectly. 

Also, Toshiba are like many supposed big names that use cheap screens (same as own brand TVs, Polaroid TVs, etc) . Sony used to, they maybe still do. 

Edited by Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

54 minutes ago, Joey J J Jr Shabadoo said:

My mum's Toshiba TV was utter shite. She got it in 2010, same time I got my LG. Her's needed replaced 2 years ago, after twice being repaired. My LG is working perfectly. 

Also, Toshiba are like many supposed big names that use cheap screens (same as own brand TVs, Polaroid TVs, etc) . Sony used to, they maybe still do. 

Cheers. Ill see what hers is like on Friday. Shes not as fussed about tech as me so she will probably be happy enough with it. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

Cheers. Ill see what hers is like on Friday. Shes not as fussed about tech as me so she will probably be happy enough with it. 

TBF, my mum's wasn't 4k, but really was awful. Think it was just out of the 5 year guarantee when it packed on, too. 

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo
1 hour ago, graygo said:

I keep hoping my 42" LG will go tits up so I can get a new bigger and better TV.

Still working perfectly after 8 years.  :( 

I'm the same, would love a new one, but nothing is wrong with mine. That's the thing with LG, they're excellent. 

I P Knightley

I've bought a couple or TVs over the last 2-3 years. First one, I went for the latest model, highest spec since the previous one had lasted about 13 years. I got myself a 4k Samsung big fellie. The second one I got was pretty much the same spec about 18 months later and it was a grand cheaper. Whatever tech had come on in the intervening years wasn't worth going to £1600 again. If I was buying again, I'd go cheaper - I'll probably never use the full functionality.

Here's my advice though - get yourself a sound bar (or other system) to go with the telly. We didn't with our first one and found that we had the volume set higher just to make out the dialogue, etc. Being cheaper, I got the second one with a soundbar/woofer combo courtesy of Richer. Different rooms = different acoustics but the difference from the soundbar is well worth it. I now run the main telly through a big old bluetooth speaker, getting nearly as good performance.

3 hours ago, graygo said:

I keep hoping my 42" LG will go tits up so I can get a new bigger and better TV.

Still working perfectly after 8 years.  :( 

My parents still have their LG 42” 12 years after they bought it so you’ve got another 4 more years at least! 

On 18/11/2018 at 13:57, jonnothejambo said:

Different one Justin. The 7FN is the one Richer Sounds emailed me about.

I had the Q7F for about a year but the smart remote kept stopping working since the bluetooth module inside kept losing itself. 

Currys no longer had the TV in stock so I had to look for a new one (would have just swapped as the TV was great). Ended up with the Q9FN which is their flagship model.  Looks stunning - Ozark is a good show to test it out as so many scenes are in almost darkness and it didn't show any issues. 

Only complaints are that the SmartView app which allows you to control the TV from your phone doesn't work with it and the Picture In Picture which I used to use on my Q7F for watching TV while playing games now says it isn't available. 

Going to contact Samsung support and ask them to check it out as they both worked on my old TV and I didn't expect their operating system to have regressed!

joondalupjambo

If you buy a smart TV and use that it to access numerous Internet driven services, e.g. Netflicks, Now TV, All 4, free view , free Sat etc. and you deliberately  never watch live TV or BBC IPlayer you do not need a TV licence.  True or false?  

The answer is the first one I think.  Save yourself 150 a year by not watching the BBC and using catch up, young folk by the barrel load are doing this is my understanding. 

Edited by joondalupjambo

36 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

If you buy a smart TV and use that it to access numerous Internet driven services, e.g. Netflicks, Now TV, All 4, free view , free Sat etc. and you deliberately  never watch live TV or BBC IPlayer you do not need a TV licence.  True or false?  

The answer is the first one I think.  Save yourself 150 a year by not watching the BBC and using catch up, young folk by the barrel load are doing this is my understanding. 

Only partly correct. You need one for Freeview or Freesat. It also depends on how you "catch-up", whether you record it on your own device or not.

44 minutes ago, joondalupjambo said:

How can you catch up if you aren't using the iplayer?

Think you are right though with regards to Netflix not being applicable.

joondalupjambo
2 minutes ago, SUTOL said:

Only partly correct. You need one for Freeview or Freesat. It also depends on how you "catch-up", whether you record it on your own device or not.

Ok so guess young folk just use things like catch up, streaming and Netflix, Prime etc.

joondalupjambo
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

How can you catch up if you aren't using the iplayer?

Think you are right though with regards to Netflix not being applicable.

All4 and My5 are catch up channels for example, there are also others to get STV and ITV Just stay clear of the beeb I guess.

Edited by joondalupjambo