Game of Thrones Season 8 (spoilers are coming)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

14 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

Does Gendry not know his lore very well. Thought KL *******s were called Waters, Rivers are those from the Riverlands 

I googled it and apparently because he was never acknowledged as a ******* by robert he was never given the ******* surname of waters. (like Jon was acknowledged by Ned as his ******* son and therefore christened snow for the north)

Now that doesnt expalin how Rivers comes into it but I think it does mean on screen Gendry did get it right. Not a mistake as you might think.

Only ******* of HIGH BORN parents are named in this way. Since he didnt know he was a baratheon til recently he wasnt named as per the usual customs. (http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/*******y#Surnames)

Edited by Alan_R

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_Jersey_HMFC

• hughesie27

• Alan_R

• Tazio

indianajones
6 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Is Jaimie now going back to fight for Cersei?

Pump her the kill her. 

imo. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
4 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

I googled it and apparently because he was never acknowledged as a ******* by robert he was never given the ******* surname of waters. (like Jon was acknowledged by Ned as his ******* son and therefore christened snow for the north)

Now that doesnt expalin how Rivers comes into it but I think it does mean on screen Gendry did get it right. Not a mistake as you might think.

Yes ive seen a couple of debates about it today. That would mean he has no surname and he didn’t get it right. he was neither Waters or Rivers. 

Edited by Steve_Jersey_HMFC

kingantti1874
9 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

It would be pretty shit if it got to the last episode and she randomly turns mad in an instant.

Shes been turning mad since the first episode of S8, they have made a really big deal of her snapping and losing the plot, foment out of their way to highlight those scenes. 2 dragons down, Jorah and now missande beheaded, Varys about to turn..

its so utterly obvious. 

Sooperstar
10 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Nah, I think that's what they want you to think but actually when he says he is 'filled with hate' or whatever then that hate is directed towards Cersei now. Maybe.

Uncle Buck
24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

He’ll kill her.

I called the mad queen thing a long time ago as did a lot of others. What chance Tyrion ruling the south and Sansa the north as happily estranged spouses?

hughesie27
11 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Shes been turning mad since the first episode of S8, they have made a really big deal of her snapping and losing the plot, foment out of their way to highlight those scenes. 2 dragons down, Jorah and now missande beheaded, Varys about to turn..

its so utterly obvious. 

That's my point. If she suddenly turned mad in the last Ep with no foreshadowing it would be ridiculous. I don't think they are trying to hide her personality shift.

11 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

He’ll kill her.

King and Queen Slayer

1 hour ago, hughesie27 said:

That's my point. If she suddenly turned mad in the last Ep with no foreshadowing it would be ridiculous. I don't think they are trying to hide her personality shift.

King and Queen Slayer

My guess is that we might even get a "burn them, burn them all" as she tries to attack despite Cersei's human shield of common folk

6 minutes ago, Alan_R said:

My guess is that we might even get a "burn them, burn them all" as she tries to attack despite Cersei's human shield of common folk

I thought similar with Jon then stepping in/fighting her to stop her killing the innocent.

I think they will make Dany appear to be going mad, looking to kill John and ensure her claim to the throne but wil either - 

Sacrifice herself to save him or

Try to turn her dragon on him only for it to kill her instead as it knows he is the rightful king 

Say What Again
14 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

One thing though. There was an army of about 30 outside Kings Landing. Why did Cersei not just take them all out?

I said this to the missus last night. The pending war/battle could have been ended there are then by easily killing them all (bar Jon).

Also agree about the post earlier in the thread about the ballista's on the boats. Once she flew past them she could have turned them to ash from behind.

I read at the start of this season that the opening credits can reflect what's currently going on or going to happen. With that in mind I called the dragons death before the episode, when I saw the ballista pointed at a dragon head in the credits. :( . Going to skip past the credits from now.

Edited by Say What Again

hughesie27
2 minutes ago, Say What Again said:

I said this to the missus last night. The pending war/battle could have been ended there are then by easily killing them all (bar Jon).

Also agree about the post earlier in the thread about the ballista's on the boats. Once she flew past them she could have turned them to ash from behind.

I read at the start of this season that the opening credits can reflect what's currently going on or going to happen. With that in mind I called the dragons death before the episode, when I saw the ballista pointed at a dragon head in the credits. :( . Going to skip past the credits from now.

The arrow pointed st the dragons Skull has been part of the credits since episode 1. It harkens back to then Qybern first showed his invention to Cersei.

Say What Again
39 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The arrow pointed st the dragons Skull has been part of the credits since episode 1. It harkens back to then Qybern first showed his invention to Cersei.

Ahh. I don’t usually pay attention to the credits until I read that it reflected what was going on. 

Last night was just a coincidence then that I paid attention during the episode the dragon bit the dust. 

5 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

Chances of more dragons next week? Surely one of them has laid some eggs?

You mean I missed the dragon pumping scenes? Dammit. :(

alwaysthereinspirit
3 hours ago, Lemongrab said:

You mean I missed the dragon pumping scenes? Dammit. :(

Most of the other main characters have banged at least one family member. Might as well let the dragons get some.

35 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Most of the other main characters have banged at least one family member. Might as well let the dragons get some.

I think they're all male, though some reptiles can reproduce without a partner with parthenogenesis an option if no males are around. Maybe dragons can do it the other way around? Or perhaps more to the point how did she know they were all male? 

alwaysthereinspirit
10 minutes ago, Tazio said:

I think they're all male, though some reptiles can reproduce without a partner with parthenogenesis an option if no males are around. Maybe dragons can do it the other way around? Or perhaps more to the point how did she know they were all male? 

She's a wee bit of a goer so I'm sure she's ridden all three. At least once.

GoT lore seems to make up how dragons reproduce as it goes too.

Some maesters say there are different sexes, some say that they can change sex during their lifetime and others say they are asexual.

RR Martin seems not to bother with details.

"Dragons are magic lol" seems to be the best he can come up with.

Maple Leaf

I thought the most recent episode was disappointing.

The Bronn sudden appearance at Winterfell ?  Yeah right.

The long range death of the dragon was implausible.  

The final scene where Cersei has Dany, Greyworm, Tyrion, and all the surviving Unsullied within range of her giant crossbows and archers ... and lets them go?  Nah.

Suddenly Dany looks helpless and, despite her furious expression, it's hard to figure out how she's going to capture a well-defended King's Landing, even when the armies of the North arrive.

bajthejambo

Apparently Ghost didn't recieve a proper goodbye from Jon due to CGI complications. A giant picked up Lyanna in the last episode. Make of that what you will?

hughesie27
12 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

Apparently Ghost didn't recieve a proper goodbye from Jon due to CGI complications. A giant picked up Lyanna in the last episode. Make of that what you will?

I see you have just been on twitter as well.

Alex Kintner
7 hours ago, Maple Leaf said:

I thought the most recent episode was disappointing.

The Bronn sudden appearance at Winterfell ?  Yeah right.

The long range death of the dragon was implausible.  

The final scene where Cersei has Dany, Greyworm, Tyrion, and all the surviving Unsullied within range of her giant crossbows and archers ... and lets them go?  Nah.

Suddenly Dany looks helpless and, despite her furious expression, it's hard to figure out how she's going to capture a well-defended King's Landing, even when the armies of the North arrive.

Tunnels I reckon?

hughesie27
10 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Wonder if Arya will encounter Shaggydog and the pack at some point on the Kings Road?

I doubt it. He is dead.

Was killed when Rickon got captured as his head was used as proof is Rickons identity.

bajthejambo
13 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I see you have just been on twitter as well.

Sorry. Credit @twitter.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
13 hours ago, bajthejambo said:

David Nutter the director said he was under pressure to keep the episode shorter. When you consider the time wasted on the Grissandei storyline over the last 4 seasons that really is nonsense. They even had a scene where Bran gives Tyrion a bit of wheelchair lore in this episode...

Alex Kintner
3 hours ago, hughesie27 said:

I doubt it. He is dead.

Was killed when Rickon got captured as his head was used as proof is Rickons identity.

2 hours ago, Cade said:

You mean Nymeria.

And she already bumped into her last season.

Yeah, meant Nymeria. She is leading a pack and recognised Arya last season so may well make an appearance.

bajthejambo
44 minutes ago, Steve_Jersey_HMFC said:

David Nutter the director said he was under pressure to keep the episode shorter. When you consider the time wasted on the Grissandei storyline over the last 4 seasons that really is nonsense. They even had a scene where Bran gives Tyrion a bit of wheelchair lore in this episode...

I think it was quite disrespectful to the viewers. Everyone loves Ghost and the relationship Jon had with him. To only have him look in his direction was very underwhelming

The whole season feels rushed, half-ersed and as if the show makers don't care any more.

Just want to get to the end and find out who wins.

Edited by Cade

I can't believe Greyworm is still alive, he is the least threatening warrior in history, he looks like he would struggle to hold a sword never kind swing one 

In all of the show I think this is the worst bit of casting 

42 minutes ago, Cade said:

The whole season feels rushed, half-ersed and as if the show makers don't care any more.

Just want to get to the end and find out who wins.

The last two seasons have been pish - Eastenders with dragons. It’s night and day (or fire and ice) from the first four seasons. Not long to go now though so might as well stick with it.  

AlimOzturk

So many people claim that this is the greatest show of all time. I agree it is a great show but in this order..

The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The wire, Mad Men, Spartacus, Sons of Anarchy and arguably...

Vikings, Dexter, Justified and Lost are all better shows. 

luckyBatistuta
17 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

So many people claim that this is the greatest show of all time. I agree it is a great show but in this order..

The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, The wire, Mad Men, Spartacus, Sons of Anarchy and arguably...

Not a fan of Sons of Anarchy. If I remember right, I gave up in 3rd series. Vikings is better than GoT imo. Also think that Band of Brothers should be in any top 10 of boxsets.

Pans Jambo
5 hours ago, TheStig said:

Hot pie will come out of nowhere and be the hero of the battle of kings landing.

:yas: Mon the hot pie

AlimOzturk
21 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Not a fan of Sons of Anarchy. If I remember right, I gave up in 3rd series. Vikings is better than GoT imo. Also think that Band of Brothers should be in any top 10 of boxsets.

Never seen band of brothers. Will have to give it a try

Craig Gordons Gloves
18 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

You won't be disappointed.  While GoT has been excellent, it doesn't come close to Band of Brothers.

AlphonseCapone
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I've only seen The Sopranos on that list but it's the greatest show ever made. 

luckyBatistuta
41 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

22 minutes ago, Craig Gordons Gloves said:

You won't be disappointed.  While GoT has been excellent, it doesn't come close to Band of Brothers.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Nothing else even comes close to Band of Brothers.

Deadwood was feckin ace, though

Band Of Brothers really is a fantastic watch, episode in the forest in the snow the highlight. Now I’m typing this, it’s got me wanting to go back and watch it again. Wasn’t even sure about watching it when it first starts, because Ross Geller was in it?

vegas-voss
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I'm with you on the first 3 can't agree with anything else though.

superjack
1 hour ago, luckyBatistuta said:

I thought the follow up, Pacific, was better than band of brothers. All about personal choice though.

I would have game of thrones as the best ever though.

Mr Brightside
2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

41 minutes ago, Cade said:

Nothing else even comes close to Band of Brothers.

Deadwood was feckin ace, though

Sons of Anarchy is terrible tv.

Deadwood was brilliant.

luckyBatistuta
26 minutes ago, superjack said:

I thought the follow up, Pacific, was better than band of brothers. All about personal choice though.

I would have game of thrones as the best ever though.

Never seen Pacific, another to add to the growing list of boxsets I need to watch, just not enough hours in the day. 

Back on to GoT though, was disappointed with this weeks episode. Also a bit miffed with the one before to. How many seasons have we been watching this, with a huge build up to that battle...and it was all over in one episode☹️ 

superjack
2 minutes ago, luckyBatistuta said:

Back on to GoT though, was disappointed with this weeks episode. Also a bit miffed with the one before to. How many seasons have we been watching this, with a huge build up to that battle...and it was all over in one episode☹️ 

It's sort of like your first ride, you build the excitement up up a bit too much, and then it's all over far too quick.