Game of Thrones Season 8 (spoilers are coming)

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Few questions:

Spoiler

What was the point in all of the following:

1- Jons resurrection for Arya to be the hero anyway

2- Arya's super weapon for one Jedi-like fight sequence against some regular wights

3- The "prince that was promised prophecy", could still pan out to be Jon/Bran etc uniting the kingdoms in peace but the prophecy was mostly proclaimed to be the downfall of the night king. Arya fulfills very little/none of this: Lightbringer, Targarayen etc

4- Who is Azor Ahai (linked to above, surely makes little difference now the night kings gone?)

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Steve_Jersey_HMFC

• hughesie27

• Alan_R

• Tazio

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
1 hour ago, Alan_R said:

Few questions:

Hide contents

What was the point in all of the following:

1- Jons resurrection for Arya to be the hero anyway

2- Arya's super weapon for one Jedi-like fight sequence against some regular wights

3- The "prince that was promised prophecy", could still pan out to be Jon/Bran etc uniting the kingdoms in peace but the prophecy was mostly proclaimed to be the downfall of the night king. Arya fulfills very little/none of this: Lightbringer, Targarayen etc

4- Who is Azor Ahai (linked to above, surely makes little difference now the night kings gone?)

Regarding 1 there’s still an argument that he was neede to unite the norf and gather a key ally in Daenerys. If it still had been the Boltons in Winterfell the kingdoms would have been goosed.

2. think her spear was just a. An excuse for her to flirt with Gendry b. An excuse for the show runners to give her a badass fighting scene and c. a means to distract us all from her valaryian steel dagger 

Not sure about 3&4, could be dead in the water as far as the show is concerned. They did make a point last year of saying the translation of prince promised is gender neutral. Maybe Jon still is and he is destined to stop Dany from turning into a mad Queen and burning all her enemies to ash.

flecktimus

So the northern army as been practically annihilated along with the Dothraki and the unsullied. Will Daenerys  have to send for the Second Sons for her attack on the south?

35 minutes ago, flecktimus said:

So the northern army as been practically annihilated along with the Dothraki and the unsullied. Will Daenerys  have to send for the Second Sons for her attack on the south?

Potentially. Wouldn’t discount the golden company switching allegiance either. They were historically loyal to the Blackfyre house, which is a B*****d branch of the Targs, due to them founding it. 

Edited by gjcc

Stuart McNeill

What do you think the next episode will entail? finding out what cersai has been up to and preparing for another major fight scene going into Episode 5?

10 hours ago, Stuart McNeill said:

What do you think the next episode will entail? finding out what cersai has been up to and preparing for another major fight scene going into Episode 5?

Emilia Clarke reportedly said episode 5 is the big fight scene of the series.

Its been superb but does still feel a bit condensed and rushed but that is i suppose testament to the character based storylines all the way through. Just feels a slow build to season 8 for a quick pay off. Hopefully they can use these three episodes to avoid that being the lingering feeling 

Uncle Buck

I read a theory that Jon was distracting the dragon and as he was doing it he shouted “go!” to Arya, so she could go kill the Night King.

indianajones
16 hours ago, sadj said:

Its been superb but does still feel a bit condensed and rushed but that is i suppose testament to the character based storylines all the way through. Just feels a slow build to season 8 for a quick pay off. Hopefully they can use these three episodes to avoid that being the lingering feeling 

Yeah it's been enjoyable but I think they are ruining it with their unrealistic timescales. Honestly quite gutted about it. 

Will have to attempt the books as it'll be a much more satisfying story. 

Alex Kintner

Is it wrong I was more gutted with Viseryon dying than I was at any of the characters this season? Was done in such a sudden way too. Brilliant TV ?? 

Can see some of the many tunnels into Kings Landing being used next week and a wee assassination taking place of Cersei, possibly by Jaime. 

Edited by To Be Frank

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
9 minutes ago, To Be Frank said:

Is it wrong I was more gutted with Viseryon dying than I was at any of the characters this season? Was done in such a sudden way too. Brilliant TV ?? 

Can see some of the many tunnels into Kings Landing being used next week and a wee assassination taking place of Cersei, possibly by Jaime. 

Jaime might run into the Hound & Arya on the Kingsroad. Could set up an Arya faceswapping with Jaime scenario

Sooperstar

Enjoyed that. Lots to tie up in two episodes.

Gendry is still going to play a big part but I no longer think he will end up on the throne. Save Dany from a possible coup perhaps.

Edited by Sooperstar

flecktimus
1 hour ago, Tazio said:

I think I love her. Is that so wrong?

Oh i quite understand, Psychopathic killer, whats not to like :)

alwaysthereinspirit
11 hours ago, Kalamazoo Jambo said:

:sad:

Are you more a Dunkin Donut man?

Oops.See the source image

Prince Buaben

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Enjoyed that. Lots to tie up in two episodes.

Gendry is still going to play a big part but I no longer think he will end up on the throne. Save Dany from a possible coup perhaps.

Gendry now he has been legitimised now has a better claim to the throne than Dany too.

I think it’s going to end up with nobody getting what they want. The people who end up with power will be ones who never wanted or expected it. With the possible exception of Sansa. 

Kalamazoo Jambo
3 hours ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Are you more a Dunkin Donut man?

Oops.See the source image

I feel bad for the Barista who had to write out her full name on that cup.

indianajones

Show has kind of went quite meh if i am really honest. 

Too much stuff getting crammed in. 

The way that dragon died was so lazy too. 

slashishere

Thought it was an excellent episode, last weeks was epic and tense but I thought this was a brilliant build up to what is coming next.

I’m giving up trying to second guess what happens, but can’t wait.

8 minutes ago, indianajones said:

Show has kind of went quite meh if i am really honest. 

Too much stuff getting crammed in. 

The way that dragon died was so lazy too. 

I agree, Worst episode of the series for me.

Winterfell rebuilt overnight.

The Bronn story line is ridiculous.

The Dragon dying from a heat seeking ballista fired from the other side of an island, the them missing every shot when shes flying straight at them.

They build us up to revealing Johns identity to his family and the scene cuts away.

A lot of filler, and yet the more important things seem rushed IMO

indianajones
2 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

The Dragon dying from a heat seeking ballista fired from the other side of an island, the them missing every shot when shes flying straight at them.

They build us up to revealing Johns identity to his family and the scene cuts away.

So rushed!

The dragons were always going to die imo. That one should've died in the last episode during the great war. Far more fitting that getting hit by a heat seeking ballista like you said. 

Apparently GRRM has said that there was only ever one dragon that was killed by a projectile and it was by complete fluke (minus the NK magic). So Euron, who manages to go undetected from someone flying several hundreds of meters above the sea, manages to shoot the dragon three times? Boats also take a long time to turn. They didnt have any ballistas on the rear so why didnt she just fly from behind at burn them all? So bad. 

If thats the last we see of Tormund and Ghost its also a complete farce. 

For what its worth I think we will now see some sort of dragon armour in the next battle. I also now think that after winning Kings Landing, Dany will not be able to live with the paranoia of knowing Jon is the rightful king and will kill him. She will then be killed by Arya leaving the seven kingdoms under Sansas control. 

3 minutes ago, indianajones said:

So rushed!

The dragons were always going to die imo. That one should've died in the last episode during the great war. Far more fitting that getting hit by a heat seeking ballista like you said. 

Apparently GRRM has said that there was only ever one dragon that was killed by a projectile and it was by complete fluke (minus the NK magic). So Euron, who manages to go undetected from someone flying several hundreds of meters above the sea, manages to shoot the dragon three times? Boats also take a long time to turn. They didnt have any ballistas on the rear so why didnt she just fly from behind at burn them all? So bad. 

For what its worth I think we will now see some sort of dragon armour in the next battle. I also now think that after winning Kings Landing, Dany will not be able to live with the paranoia of knowing Jon is the rightful king and will kill him. She will then be killed by Arya leaving the seven kingdoms under Sansas control. 

The last episode will probably end with Bran opening his eyes after his fall from the tower, And it was all dream.

alwaysthereinspirit
27 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

The last episode will probably end with Bran opening his eyes after his fall from the tower, And it was all dream.

Laying next to Bobby Ewing.

Pans Jambo
47 minutes ago, indianajones said:

So rushed!

Agree about the boats. They should be tinder. 

The line from Danni “we can live together, I’ve just told you how” was interesting. 

I dont think it’ll end well for her TBH. 

17 minutes ago, alwaysthereinspirit said:

Laying next to Bobby Ewing.

And Bouncer :D

The Gorgie

Grey worm is going to lose his shit in the next battle. Can see him trying to take on the mountain and losing.

alwaysthereinspirit
5 minutes ago, Dunks said:

And Bouncer :D

She definitely put in her gym time on upper chest muscles.

27 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

The line from Danni “we can live together, I’ve just told you how” was interesting. 

they have laid the groundwork for her to be like her father and become the mad queen

Uncle Buck

I don’t think I enjoyed it as much as last weeks. Ghost is going beyond the wall, Rhaegal is dead and Sam/Gilly are naming their child after Jon. I’m pretty sure that’s setting up for him to die.

indianajones
38 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

She has been pretty annoying for at least 3 seasons to be honest. Wouldn't mind it in the slightest. 

bajthejambo

I can't believe Jon didn't even go to Ghost before he left. All he did was look at him. Poor thing was devastated.

Sooperstar
35 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

I can't believe Jon didn't even go to Ghost before he left. All he did was look at him. Poor thing was devastated.

It was a prick move.

AlimOzturk
11 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It was a prick move.

Agreed. That wolf risked it's life on more than one occasion for him

Prick 

Edited by AlimOzturk

6 hours ago, Tazio said:

I think it’s going to end up with nobody getting what they want. The people who end up with power will be ones who never wanted or expected it. With the possible exception of Sansa. 

Either Jon.

Varys: "have you even considered the best ruler may be the one who doesnt want it"

or.. after all this could it be bran afterall?

Or at very long odds but wouldnt surprise me if someone random like Gendry or Bronn is left at the end. GRR always hints at how he likes untypical heroes to come from nothing.

2 hours ago, Ak47 said:

Spoiler

bronn has been one of my favourite characters throughout, some great lines. He was always a rogue but somewhat honorable even if it was usually for his own gains. you might argue thats why he spared them but it was ridiculous for him to waltz in like that... surely wouldnt be hard to go after him a short time later and have him executed if it came to it.

agree the pace is well off in this series.

Sooperstar

One thing though. There was an army of about 30 outside Kings Landing. Why did Cersei not just take them all out?

bajthejambo

I think Dany is hanging on by a thread. All of her followers are dropping like flies. Once Tyrion abandons her cause, she's finished.

Steve_Jersey_HMFC
2 hours ago, Ak47 said:

The difficulty with that one is there has now been 3 scenes of the R+L=J theory being told. Sam and Bran in season 7 (on top of the original two visions Bran had of the Tower of Joy in s6), Sam and Jon and then Jon and Daenerys this season. The show runners said in one of the behind the episodes there’s a danger of having these scenes repeat themselves. So that’s what they cut Jon/Brans reveal to the Stark girls, Sansa to Tyrion and Tyrion to Varys. For what’s its worth I would have liked

to have seen the Jon reveal to his sisters and their initia reaction. Although Jon at least clapping his direwolf before ditching would have been my preference . Can’t believe CGI issues would have stopped that if they can manage people riding dragons 

kingantti1874
11 minutes ago, bajthejambo said:

I think Dany is hanging on by a thread. All of her followers are dropping like flies. Once Tyrion abandons her cause, she's finished.

The writing is so unbelievably obvious, she’s going like her dad, “the mad queen” and she’s gonna die.. I wonder who will have to do it. ? the real king who loves her maybe. 

This is series has absolutely ****ed the whole show.. 

Steve_Jersey_HMFC

Does Gendry not know his lore very well. Thought KL *******s were called Waters, Rivers are those from the Riverlands 

hughesie27
8 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

The writing is so unbelievably obvious, she’s going like her dad, “the mad queen” and she’s gonna die.. I wonder who will have to do it. ? the real king who loves her maybe. 

This is series has absolutely ****ed the whole show.. 

It would be pretty shit if it got to the last episode and she randomly turns mad in an instant.